NameRobert RICHARDSON , G Grandson, M
Birthabout 1514, Scotland
Death1578, Scotland
OccupationCommendator Of St Mary’s Isle, Lord High Treasurer Of Scotland
EducationM. A. From St. Salvator’s College, St Andrews In 1533
FatherRobert RICHARDSON , M (1490-~1556)
Spouses
Unmarried
ChildrenJames , M (<1548-1625)
 Katherine , F (~1550-)
 Stephen , M (<1552-)
 Janet , F (<1552-)
 Robert , M
Notes for Robert RICHARDSON
http://www.oxforddnb.com/view/article/23578 (October 2007):
Richardson, Robert (d. 1578), prior of St Mary's Isle and administrator, was the son of Robert Richardson, burgess of Jedburgh (d. c.1556). The historian George Crawfurd asserts that he was descended ‘of a stock of ancient and opulent burgesses of Edinburgh’ (Crawfurd, 383), but there is little to connect him with the city before 1553, when he was made a burgess at the request of the fourth earl of Huntly. He matriculated at St Salvator's College, St Andrews, in 1531, and graduated MA in 1532. Nothing is known of his early career except that in April 1544 (along with the earl of Lennox) he was involved in armed opposition to the regent Arran at Glasgow, for which he later received remission. He was presented to the vicarage of Dunsyre in 1549 and held the vicarage of Eckford by 1552. In that year he was provided by the pope to the archdeaconry of Teviotdale, which he held until 1565 along with the appropriated parsonage of Morebattle. In 1558 he obtained crown presentation to the priory of St Mary's Isle, near Kirkcudbright, which he also resigned in 1565, retaining the usufruct.

Richardson's career as a royal official began around 1549 when he was comptroller clerk. In November 1552 he was an auditor of the treasurer's account. Gilbert Kennedy, third earl of Cassillis, appointed lord treasurer in April 1554, delegated the entire conduct of business to Richardson as treasurer clerk. After Cassillis's death in November 1558 Richardson continued as treasurer clerk and acting treasurer. It was probably in this capacity, rather than as ‘Maister of the Cunze-hous’ (Works of John Knox, 1.372), that he held the coining irons of the mint. In July 1559 the lords of the congregation seized these, along with great sums of money, claiming that they had done so to stop corruption of the coinage and that they had returned what they had seized, the irons being restored to him under an agreement between the lords and Mary of Guise.

Richardson sat as a prelate in the Reformation Parliament of 1560 and is listed by Knox among those ‘that had renunceit Papistrie and oppinlie profest Jesus Chryst with us’ (Works of John Knox, 2.88). Finally appointed lord treasurer on 5 March 1561, he sat in the privy council from 1561 to 1576. In 1562 he was named as one of the commissioners for receiving rentals of benefices and in October of that year was granted a pension of £1000 Scots from the thirds of benefices pending provision to a benefice of equal or greater value. The Reformation gave him further opportunities to add to the landed estate he had been acquiring since 1552, mainly in Haddingtonshire and Edinburghshire. Three charters by the commendator and convent of Dunfermline on 28 July 1563 conveyed to him extensive lands, mainly in Haddingtonshire, Edinburghshire, and Fife, amounting to no fewer than seventy-seven farms and scattered holdings. From September 1565 onwards he disposed of a large part of this property to the tenants, no doubt profitably. He retained lands and coalmines around Musselburgh, including Smeaton, where either he or his son built what in 1577 was described as a new house. He also acquired some small properties belonging to Jedburgh Abbey. Crawfurd wrote of Richardson:
He appears to have been a very wise moderate man; for so far as I can observe from the history of these times, he kept himself more in a neutrality, and was less a party-man than any other that held any great office about the court. He was never violent against the Queen, tho' he complied with the Government under the young King. (Crawfurd, 383)
Richardson attended James VI's coronation in 1567, and in 1569 voted to refuse Mary's divorce from Bothwell. His support for the new regime is evidenced by a loan of £3000 to the regent Moray on 17 September 1567, secured on the royal jewels. In the following year, as he was ‘greitlie superexpendit’ as treasurer and unable to pay his creditors (Livingstone and others, 6, no. 259), Moray gave him the revenue arising from wards and marriages and vacant benefices. In January 1571 the lease of the mint which he had held since 1566 was renewed for three years, half the profits to be applied to paying off his ‘superexpenses’ as treasurer. According to a contemporary source, John Cunningham of Drumquhassle had been made ‘half thesaurer, with Mr Robert Ritchartsone that wes thesaurer of befoir’ (Thomson, Diurnal, 180) in July 1570, but Richardson remained in sole charge until 24 June 1571, when he was replaced by William, Lord Ruthven. He retained control of the mint until March 1573, his share of the profits amounting to more than £5400 Scots. Thereafter he continued to receive money from the mint to redeem the royal jewels that had been pledged to him, further payments being made to his sons after his death, which probably took place between May and November 1578.

Richardson was unmarried but four children, James, Robert, Stephen, and Elizabeth, were legitimated in 1552; another child may have been born in December 1563, when Randolph reported to Cecil that Richardson was to do public penance for getting a woman with child and Knox was to ‘mayke the sermonde’ (Works of John Knox, 6.527). James Richardson of Smeaton, the eldest of Richardson's children, received most of his father's lands; he married Elizabeth Douglas, and their second son, Sir Robert Richardson of Pencaitland, was created a baronet in 1630.

Athol Murray
Sources   J. B. Paul and C. T. McInnes, eds., Compota thesaurariorum regum Scotorum / Accounts of the lord high treasurer of Scotland, 10–13 (1913–78) · M. Livingstone, D. Hay Fleming, and others, eds., Registrum secreti sigilli regum Scotorum / The register of the privy seal of Scotland, 4–8 (1952–82) · G. Crawfurd, Lives of the officers of state in Scotland (1726) · The works of John Knox, ed. D. Laing, 6 vols., Wodrow Society, 12 (1846–64) · T. Thomson, ed., A diurnal of remarkable occurrents that have passed within the country of Scotland, Bannatyne Club, 43 (1833) · J. M. Thomson and others, eds., Registrum magni sigilli regum Scotorum / The register of the great seal of Scotland, 11 vols. (1882–1914), vol. 4 · J. M. Anderson, ed., Early records of the University of St Andrews, Scottish History Society, 3rd ser., 8 (1926), 231, 128 · M. H. B. Sanderson, Scottish rural society in the sixteenth century (1962) · protocol book of John Wilson, Jedburgh, 1550–72, NA Scot., B.38/1/1 · C. B. B. Watson, ed., Roll of Edinburgh burgesses and guild-brethren, 1406–1700, Scottish RS, 59 (1929) · CSP Scot., 1547–74 · GEC, Baronetage, 2.380–03

Legitimated 4 children 4 Jul 1552 through Privy Council.
Last Modified 6 January 2014Created 9 January 2017 using Reunion for Macintosh