[Front view of the home of Emri Clark Hutchinson in Milford, New Hampshire. Photo taken in 1938 by Elizabeth Hayward Hutchinson Patterson, granddaughter of David Hutchinson of Milford. Elizabeth was Emri's Sixth Cousin, once removed.]
Emri C. Hutchinson, the fifth generation from Nathan Hutchinson, the first of that name to settle in Milford, was born on the farm upon the Wilton road owned and occupied by the family for at least four generations, July 31, 1849. Benjamin F. Hutchinson, the father of the subject of this sketch, was born June 10, 1814, and is still living at the advanced aged of eighty-five years. His wife was Eliza Richardson, and the worthy couple celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of their marriage some years since. Benjamin, the great-grandfather of Emri C., married a daughter of William Peabody, the first settler of the town, who about the year 1840 located on the Peabody farm, granted to the family by reason of the service of an ancestor in King Philip's war. The grandfather of Emri was Benjamin Hutchinson, known as Colonel Ben., for a long time connected with the militia of the state. For a considerable length of time he commanded one of the regiments of the New Hampshire militia and was commissioned general of the brigade, a position which he declined. Benjamin F. Hutchinson has always taken an active interest in scientific farming, having been one of the first in the state to engage in and report the results of feeding experiments. He was an active member of the State Board of Agriculture in the early days of the present organization; was for several years president of the Hillsborough County Agricultural Society; served one year as selectman; and also represented his town in the state legistue.
Emri C. was educated in the town schools and the private school of Prof. W. L. Whittemore, and entered the first class in the New Hampshire College of Agriculture, but did not complete the course. August 9, 1876, he was united in marriage with Miss Annie E. Lovejoy of Peterborough, a faithful assistant in the work in which he has been engaged. They have two daughters, M. Roselle and Medota A.
Mr. Hutchinson, like his father, has always been interested in agriculture, and has been prominently identified with organizations promotive of its progress. He was for some time secretary of the Hillsborough County Agricultural Society, and was a charter member and the first secretary of Granite Grange, No. 7, of Milford, holding the latter office for six successive years; and afterwards master of the same grange; was general deputy for eight years previous to his election as secretary of the state grange in December, 1891, to whicxh latter position he has since been successively reelected. He has also been secretary of the New Hampshire Grange Mutual Fire Insurance Company since its organizatioin in 1889.
The Hutchinson farm embraces about seventy acres of land, sixteen of which is in mowing and tillage. Thorough cultivation has been the motto, and two tons of hay per acre the average product. Milk production is the leading specialty. The cows are high grade Ayreshire and Durham, selected for their dairy qualities. The milk is sold to the Whitings for the Boston market; the product of this dairy going into Boston on the first car run for such proposes, and the sales some years have averaged over $100 per cow, at the contractor's prices.
Mr. Hutchinson is a Republican in politics, but has never held or sought public office. Both he and his wife are active members of the Unitarian church of Milford.
(The History of Milford, by George A. Ramsdell, Concord, N. H.: The Rumford Press, 1901, pp. 474-5.)
Side view of the home of Emri Clark Hutchinson in Milford, New Hampshire, showing the old part. Photo taken in 1938 by Elizabeth Hayward Hutchinson Patterson.
Go to Main Richard Hutchinson Page
This site is maintained by: Dave Carlsen
This page last updated: 21 April 2011