Polk County, Missouri American History and Genealogy Project





POLK COUNTY MISSOURI HISTORY
Early History of Baptist Churches in Polk County
"History of the Polk County Baptist Association"
Published by the Bolivar Herald, 1897

PROVIDENCE. The oldest church that has come under our notice is Providence; it was organized on Saturday, September 4, 1839, about two and a half miles northwest of Pleasant Hope, Polk county, Missouri. The names, as far as could be ascertained, of the constituent members, were James Driskill, Martha Driskill, Henry Ross, Judea Ross, Nancy Ross, Sarah Ross, James W. Tiller, Sarah Tiller. The names of its pastors in the early days of its history are not before us, but we would naturally suppose that Elds. Wm. Tatum and J. R. Callaway would occupy the stand in the primitive meeting house; and later on the voices of Eld. Isaac Ingram and his yoke-fellows could be heard, and the waters of the Pomme de Terre would be disturbed with the baptismal scenes as the people gladly testified to the death and burial of Jesus Christ by being buried beneath the waves of the running river; the analogy of the whole scene would also confirm the beholder in the wholesome doctrine that the candidates for baptism had gladly received the word of life and were now willing to follow the Lord in the symbolic ordinance. The church has lived through many years and suffered many hard trials, but it is now a living monument of God's amazing mercy. Its present pastor, Eld. J. W. Mayfield, has served them a number of years; they have a new meeting house, built of concrete material. May the house and the worshipper's in it represent the sturdy principles inherent in the Baptist faith. There are many interesting incidents in the history of this church we would gladly record if we could get at the proper facts and dates. The solemn question will arise as to the ultimate destiny of those early workers; we see evidences of their strong faith, their simple habits, their self-sacrificing devotion; they were human beings, capable of much good, yet susceptible to the touch of time, and liable to be swayed by the evil influences that forever infest our fallen race. We should keep these thoughts in view while we dwell upon the labors of our brethren. We said they were capable of much good. It is not to be supposed that there is a fund of latent good in man; the Scriptures and experience tell us that there are none that doeth good and sinneth not, I Kings 7:46, Eccle. 7:20, Jas. 3:2. Yet, as the great poet said when in exile from his native country, "with all thy faults I love thee still." Our brethren have passed from us to a spirit world; their faults may have been many, but their virtues have also been many, and we cherish their memory as we would the sweetest note in seraph's song; their songs and cheerful voices are hushed now, but soon we may hear them and join them in unending praise. Providence had in 1896 89 members.


MT. ZION was organized in 1840. Eld. Daniel R. Murphy officiated, and had wnth him the following persons, viz: E. M. Campbell, Wm. P. Hughes, Pleasant Grain, Rutha Grain, N. W. Wilson, and Sarah H. Wilson. These were the constituent members of the old time-honored Mt. Zion. This church has stood as a beacon light in the wilderness. But few are living to tell of the hardships of its early organization; indeed, we know of none of the above names that are now living. It is located 12 miles southwest of Bolivar, Polk county, Missouri. Its house of worship was of primitive style; the one the writer knew was a building of about 50x30; its ceiling about ten feet from the floor; a stone chimney at each end of the house, with fire-places that would receive a good lot of wood; a door-way about eight feet wide opened on the side of the house, with folding doors; the pulpit was on the opposite side, and this was so constructed that when the preacher was seated in it he could not be seen except at the open end. In course of time the house had settled; while the middle of the floor, from one fireplace to the other maintained its integrity, the sides were considerably depressed, leaving the floor like an inclined plane. The seats were made of heavy oak, with high backs; the one tilted against the other would start a third, and so on till there would be a general crash. It is remembered, however, with gratitude, the good meetings that have happened in that primitive place of worship. In the earlier days, during the administration of Eld. D.R. Murphy, the people would gather for miles around to this venerated spot of earth to hold a series of meetings, and the Lord would get great glory to himself in the numbers that would be added to the church. We have not the regular succession of pastors at hand, but we remember some names of pastors that are spoken of with great respect. Wm. B. Senter served the church for nine years; G. W. Kelley, and a number of others until the 80's, when the writer became more intimately acquainted with the church as pastor, for three years he served the church. One incident will suffice for this pastorate. It was the custom to hold protracted meetings once a year. During one of these, there were a number of penitents, one of whom we will name Miss Lucy Coffman, who had been an earnest inquirer for five years. The year before. Eld. G. W. Kelley offered prayer for her and others and fell to the floor stricken down and died soon after. On this particular evening Miss Lucy was, as usual, a penitent, she seemed as one bereft and undone; the hand was raised and the tongue ready for the benediction, when Lucy arose from her recumbent position on the floor and began to shout the praises of the Redeemer she had found. But at this point of the story the pen falters in the feeble effort to describe the scene that followed. Her mother joined her in the glad hosannas; the brethren and sisters of the church caught the inspiration, and for over an hour there was such a tumultuous season of rejoicing as would exhaust the power of description. Lucy is still a shining light in the church, and does honor to her profession. The church has built a neat frame house to worship in.

The present pastor is Eld. J. C. T. Wood, residing in Walnut Grove; he has served the church a number of years; many souls given for his hire; may prosperity attend both pastor and people. It would seem invidious to mention names without naming all, but we hope we will be excused if we single out a few, who have gone before and are watching and waiting for us: John Chandler, John Grain, Jesse H. Murray, Jacob Phipps. Peace to their ashes, blessings to their children. Mt. Zion had in 1896 151 members.


ENON was organized by Eld. Daniel R. Murphy in 1841. Its first meetings were in an old building belonging to Samuel Davis. The names of the constituent members were Samuel Davis, Jas. Gilmore, Wm. Daly, Wm. Northern, Elijah Foly, Jas. Box, Lydia Davis, Elizabeth Murphy, Nancy Daly, Mary Gilmore, Anna Gilmore and Elizabeth Gouty. There were others in the organization, but we cannot get the names at the present. Its first house was built in the fall of 1842, and was located about ten miles southwest from Bolivar, and about three miles from Morrisville. It was built of heavy logs; a large door eight feet wide; the pulpit set in the wall like a bay window; a large fire-place in the end of the building. Here the gospel was preached and many were the slain of the Lord. We are left to conjecture as to the regular succession of pastors, but we feel that all the old worthy ministers of that age that wrought contemporary with Murphy would be with him in battling for the truth. Such men as Tatum, Senter, Williams, Ingram, Callaway, Wilson, Kennon, Pitts and others, mighty men, all of them, and true soldiers of the cross. The writer held a meeting of some days in the old building. The weather was quite cold, but we managed to keep warm by the aid of a huge fire in the fireplace. Since that time a spirit of enterprise took possession of the brethren, and we have worshipped with them in a new and commodious frame building. Elds. I. Ingram, G. L. Wilson, Geo. Long, Marion Kelley, Wm. Horner, Thos. Baucom, Wm. Gaylord, Jas. Owen, Reuben C. Gilmore, J. M. Payne, W. A. Gilmore and J. W. Mayfield served the church in more modern days.

One incident may not be out of place. In the month of September, 1884, we were holding a meeting in the new building. The regular service was begun. The song was sung, the prayer offered, followed as usual with another song. The text was announced, and the vocal organs were being put in shape to launch out into the open sea of discussion, when, in front of me, but two or three paces, sat Miss Dona Kennon, who at that moment gave signs that she had found the Lord. Her mother moved forward to rejoice with her. A number of us gathered about her to congratulate her and to shake hands with her and each other, and now, instead of giving a general invitation for penitents to come and seek salvation, I sought the pulpit, and tried to preach that sermon; but alas it was gone. Let all preachers take warning. 136 members in 1896. TURKEY CREEK was organized July 25, 1841, by Elijah Williams, Thos. J. Kelley, Deacon Wm. Savage and Wm. R. Devin. The above presbytery met at the house of Bro. Jesse Niel and proceeded to arrange the following brethren and sisters into a Baptist church, viz: Jeremiah Claypool, Phoebe Claypool, Wm. A. Rector, Mary Rector, Louis Renfro, Mary Renfro, Jesse Niel, Rachel Niel, Nancy Dobbs. The church is situated in the southwest comer of Polk county, three-quarters of a mile from Walnut Grove. It is about 20 miles from Bolivar. It was called Crisp Prairie church until the first Saturday in December, 1852, it took the name of Turkey Creek. One thing remarkable about this church is, the day of meeting in each month has not been changed since its organization. There have been nine pastors since its organization. Eld. T. J. Kelley first pastor Turkey Creek church about 20 years. Eld. J. E. B. Justice succeeded in 1861 and continued until about the year 1870; then followed Eld. Geo. Long, and again Eld. Justice up to 1876. Eld. J. C. T. Wood served two years followed by Eld. Justice up to about 1880; then Eld. R. C. Gilmore was called to the care of the church and served four years. Eld. Wood again served the church two years; Eld. W. F. Parker one year; then the church called Eld. J. F. Hampton, who occupied the pulpit one year, followed by Eld. S. S. Pike one year. Eld. R. C. Gilmore was called again and was followed by Eld. J. C. T. Wood, who occupies the pulpit ('96).

During the Civil war the regular meetings were not interrupted. About 500 persons were baptized into the fellowship of this church in the 52 years of its existence. Many of these have passed beyond to the "land of pure delight, where saints immortal reign," and we can but revere their memory as we reflect upon their early struggles, without house or convenient place of worship yet bravely submitting to all the privations incident to pioneer life, looking forward to the day when their children and successors would enjoy the fruits of their labors and prayers, and worship as they now do in a neat and comfortable house, and wield a benign influence over all the surrounding communities. The above statistics are furnished by Eld. J. C. T. Wood. 216 members in 1896.


FREEDOM CHURCH Was organized in fall of 1845, ten miles east of Bolivar, a little southwest of the present town of Halfway. The constituent members of this early church were G. T. Dowell, Artemesia Dowell, John Abbot, Nela Abbot, Wm. Miles and wife, Wm. Viles, Patsey Viles, Wesley Beckley, Margaret Beckley, Samuel Beckley, Jane Beckley. Meetings were held in a little log school house. The first meeting was held at Bro. Wm. Viles', the second at Bro. Geo. Dowell's. Eld. Elijah Williams and Eld. J. R. Callaway organized the church. Jas. McKinney and S. O. Gordon and wife were said to be constituent members; Bro. Gordon is still living (March, '97,) Sister Artemesia Dowell deceased. Its first pastor was Elijah Williams and the second Thos. J. Kelley.

The last notice we have of Freedom church in the minutes is that of 1868. It was represented by D. Brockus, A. McKinney, C. Davidson and J. Grove. The causes of its dissolution are not given. The wine bottle used by the church is now at the house of Deacon J. F. Fulbright (1894), When first organized the church was called Bethel, but the name was changed to Freedom in June, 1846. Bethel was organized in 1843.


MT. ZOAR was organized about the year 1856; the day is unknown and the constituent members unknown. The earliest members obtained from the mutilated church book were John Brooks, Thos. C. Brooks, Thos. R. Vincent, Joseph D. Lett, Henry Gill and others. Eld. J. R. Callaway, it is believed, was the first pastor. Brethren Geo. Jenkins, T. R. Vincent and J. Burnes ordained deacons May 4, 1861. Elds. G. W. Kelley and Geo. Suiter were pastors at different times. This church was located northeast from Bolivar, in Polk county, Missouri, distant about 20 miles. The church from some cause has ceased to exist. It was the historic ground where Freedom association was organized on September 15, 1858. Wm. Jenkins, an aged veteran, is living not far from the classic ground, and was clerk a long time. John Inglis was a young man of 16 when the association was instituted.


BRIGHTON CHURCH, ANTE-BELLUM, was organized by Eld. Mapes; constituent members were Eld. Mapes, Mary Mapes, Harriet Mapes, H. C. Ayres, John Nobles, Joshua Baker, Rebecca Mapes, Ayres.

Brighton church was located 12 miles south of Bolivar, on the Springfield road, a little east of south. This church flourished until war times; the war and the Freewills were too much for it; the promising little body gave way and was not to be found until the year 1885. On the 4th of March the church was organized by Elds. S. Forester and J. W. Hahies, with 11 members, Isaac Crosswhite, R. W. Hammontree, Alfred T. Lusk, C. W. Sherman, W. A. Davenport, Nathan Cozad, Martha Cozad, Mary J. Davenport, Caroline Sherman, John Grove, Martha Grove. Brethren Crosswhite and Grove are deacons. Eld. J. W. Haines called to care of the church and served as pastor three years; present pastor, Eld. D. P. Brockus; 63 members.


OAK GROVE was organized by Elds. J. M. Alexander and L. J. Tatum January 13, 1867. Its constituent members were Francis M. Hatler, John Lightfoot, Henry B. Lightfoot, Nancy J. Lightfoot, Mary J. Hatler, Caroline Sailor. Its pastors were J. M. Alexander, two years, Isaac Ingram, five years, Jehu Robinson, one year, W. B. Epps, one year, W. W. Palmer, three years, B. L. Mitchell, two years, D. R. Jones, four years, David Hitson, one year, T. F. Semans, two or three years, is the present pastor ('96). Present membership, 128. First deacon, John Lightfoot; church house built in 1869 and 1870, and is located about 12 miles northeast from Bolivar.


UNION GROVE was organized by Elds. Jas. Cole and Jno. Clark Mitchell January 26, 1867. Its constituent members, Wm. Heydon, S. W. Alley, Susan C. Alley, Ann S. Devin, Sarah J. Thompson, Martha M. Heydon. Its pastors, Jno. C. Mitchell four years, G. W. Kelley three years, Geo. Long three years. Eld. Dent one year, Jehu Robinson two years, Jehu Baker one year, B. L. Mitchell one year, G. L. Wilson three years, G. H. Higginbotham two years, J. Gaylord one year, G. M. Botts one year. The church has fallen into decay for some reason. It has ceased to hold its sessions or maintain its worship. The Lord knows where the fault lies. In the summer of '96 a series of meetings was begun by Eld. T. B. Gordon and continued several days; but he withdrew from the work; another preacher came in and in conjunction with Eld. S. W. Alley carried on the work still further ending in about 60 conversions and the rebuilding of Union Grove. Eld. T. B. Gordon is present pastor ('97).


BOLIVAR CHURCH was organized by Eld. Wm. B. Senter September 3, 1859. Its constituent members were Alfred Wilhite, James A. Wilhite, William Foushee, Mary Bowen, Lavina Wilhite, Sarah Akard, Charlotte McCall. The usual articles of faith, rules of decorum and church covenant adopted. Eld. Wm. B. Senter was the first pastor and was instrumental in the building of the house of worship that has stood from 1861 to 1897. We will here notice the succession of pastorates:


Wm. B. Senter called September 3, 1859, to 1861.
D. R. Murphy called March, 1866, to August, 1868.
J. M. Lappin called August, 1868, to February, 1871.
Geo. Mitchell called February, 1871, to February, 1874.
B. McCord Roberts called February, 1874, to August, 1878.
T. L. Lewis called April, 1879, to April, 1880.
A. S. Ingman called April, 1880, to August, 1880.
R. K. Maiden called August, 1880, to August, 1880.
J. R. Maupin called September, 1880, to December, 1880.
T. L. Lewis called December, 1880, to March, 1881.
W. A. Wilson called March, 188 1, to 1884.
B. L. Mitchell called 1884, to 1886.
A. S. Ingman called September, 1886, to September, '87.
J. M. Wheeler called January, '88, to October, '88.
J. R. Downer called February, '89, to May, '89.
W. H. Burnham called May, '89, to January, '92.
J. L. Leonard called February, '92. to November, '92.
J. L. Taylor called November, '92, to September, '93.
R. E. L. Burks called November, '93, to May, '94.
R. E. L. Burks called August, '94, to October, '94.
Richard Harrison called July, '95, to July, '96.
R. E. L. Burks called December 10, '96, to --.

We cherish their memory and regard them as the excellent of the earth, Senter and Murphy, Geo. Mitchell and Roberts, with the inimitable Maupin, have passed beyond; their works follow them. Eld. A. S. Ingman was ordained April 18, 1880, the presbytery being B. McCord Roberts, T. L. Lewis, Jehu Robinson, J. R. Maupin and J. VV. Haines. Bro. J. A. Lindsay was the first clerk of the church; after the war brother Wm. M. Delaplain was the clerk from '66 to '88; brother C. T. Robinson from '88 to '90, followed by brother W. S. Askren, and at present, '97, Dr. W. S. Odor is clerk, H. B. Utley treasurer and Sunday school superintendent. Brother Wm. M. Delaplain and his wife, Martha, have been faithful members since they have been in the church. Sister Martha Odor has been a shining light, but has passed beyond.


MT. VIEW CHURCH was organized November 12, 1851, with the following con- stituent members: Lucinda Simpson, Lucinda W. Simpson, Shepherd Starns, Avington W. Simpson. No record from November 12, 1851, to October 23, 1852. Eld. Thompson Pitts was chosen pastor, Reuben Simpson clerk, John Burns and Moses Simpson deacons. The second pastor was Wm. F. Spillman, chosen July, 1854, Thos. Standley clerk. About the year 1859 the church dissolved and reorganized December 5, 1868, with the following members: Jesse Bridges, Wm. Bridges, Melissa Bridges, Maria A. Long (Hockenhull), Rebecca Cowden. Mt. Moab was the name given to the new church by Elds. C. L. Alexander and Starns. Eld. Jehu Robinson was chosen pastor February, 1871, S. D. Tidwell elected clerk and continued through all the years up to the present writing, 1893. On the fifth of May, 1873, the church building was dedicated; Eld. B. McCord Roberts preached the sermon, text "Be ye also enlarged;" present, Elds. George Suiter and George Mitchell. The church was a member of Old Path association. Its name was changed to Mt. View in March, 1871. In May, 1855, 33 members received letters to organize Hopewell church about 30 miles northeast of Bolivar. Eld. Isaac Ingram was called to the pastorate May 33, 1874, and continued in that office until January 8, 1876; Greenberry Mitchell was pastor from January 8, 1876, to November 6, 1880; Eld. R. K. Maiden was pastor from November 6, 1880 to June 3, 1883; then Eld. B. L. Mitchell succeeded and continued until May 31, 1884; John H. Stinecipher was chosen and is at this time (1897), the pastor of Mt. View church. Perennial Sunday school. Membership of church 349 (minutes of '93).


SLAGLE CREEK CHURCH was organized December 15, 1850; presbytery, Elds. Robert Ross and Thos. J. Kelley; constituent members, Stephen Sawyers, Thos. J. Mitchell, Nancy Mitchell, James Barham. Elds. Kelley and Ross were alternate moderators until March 8, 1851, Eld. T. J. Kelley was elected moderator; in January 1855 Eld. Robert Ross was elected assistant moderator. Eld. Greenberry Mitchell was moderator pro tem. April 31, 1856, and three successive meetings. On November 30, 1856, Eld. Jas. Kennon elected moderator pro tem. Eld. Isaac Ingram chosen assistant moderator on the second Saturday in February, 1857. Eld. Geo. W. White moderator pro tem. September 15, 1857. Delegates elected to convention to meet with Mt. Zoar church in October, 1858, to form an association. Delegates were Jas. Wadlington, Stephen Sawyer, Henry Bradford and John Utley.

Eld. T. J. Kelley was moderator from organization of church to second Saturday in April, '64, when Eld. H. J. Mapes was chosen. On second Saturday in February, '67, Eld. Isaac Ingram was elected pastor for one year. On Saturday before second Sunday in March, '68, Eld. G. W. White moderator. Eld. R. C. Gilmore moderator pro tem., April '68; Eld. Greenberry Mitchell elected moderator, Saturday before second Sunday in November '75; Eld. G. W. White elected again Nov. '78; Eld. B. McCord Roberts was elected pastor May '79; Eld. B. L. Mitchell was ordained Friday before the second Sabbath in October, '79. Eld. J. S. Buckner was elected pastor June, '81, but being elected to foreign mission work in Missouri, Eld Greenberry Mitchell was re-elected pastor second Sunday in March, '82. On Saturday before second Sunday in April, '83, Eld. J. W. Haines was elected pastor, succeeded by Eld. B. L. Mitchell on the Saturday before the second Sunday in May, 85, and on Saturday before second Sunday in July, '86, Eld. D. P. Brockus was elected. On Saturday before second Sunday in September, '90, Eld. J. W. Mayfield succeeded to the pastorate; on Saturday before second Sunday in September, '91, Eld. D. P. Brockus was re-elected.

Brother Reuben Slagle was clerk a number of years. The present clerk is brother F. J. Scroggins. The church maintains a good Sunday school with the clerk as superintendent. The venerable Isaac Ingram lives near the church. Unable to preach on account of physical infirmity; but strong in faith, ready to be offered up, and to take his place in the company of the redeemed whenever the Lord shall call. Rob't Ross and G. B. Mitchell with others have gone beyond.


HUMANSVILLE CHURCH was organized June 18, 1853, with 11 members, nine white and two colored. Wm. B. Senter and D. R. Murphy presbytery; Wm. B. Senter the first pastor. In July (third Sabbath) 1853, brethren Jesse Grover and Jas. Peak were ordained deacons, Elds. Pitts and Senter officiating. On the fourth Sunday in May, 1858, brother Frank Tillery was elected deacon, but when he was ordained could not be ascertained on account of the church book being so mutilated that the date of ordination was lost. Wm. B. Senter was pastor up to the war. There was an interval of four years without regular preaching until June 24, 1865, the church was reorganized by Elds. Jas. Kennon and Jas. Cole, who also preached from time to time until Saturday before the fourth Sunday in November, 1865, Eld. L. J. Tatum was chosen pastor. The record does not state when his term ceased. A brother Mitchell served until October, 1872, when he resigned. On Saturday before the fourth Sunday in November, 1872, Eld. D. R. Murphy was elected and served until June, 1873, when he resigned. In July, 1873, Eld. Jehu Robinson was chosen as the pastor and served as such until July, 1875, when Eld. L. J. Tatum was again elected. On Saturday before second Sunday in July brother T. J. Akins was ordained to the gospel ministry and brother H. L. Green was ordained to the office of deacon, presbytery consisting of L. J. Tatum, Jas. Kennon and Black. Eld. L. J. Tatum served the church until December, 1880; in April, 1881, Eld. J. R. Maupin was chosen to the pastorate and served one year; at April meeting, 1882, Eld. T. J. Akins was elected pastor and served until August, 1883, when Eld. J. T. Metcalf was elected and served one year; in January, 1885, Eld. M. Root was chosen and served one year. Saturday before second Sunday in November, 1885, brethren A. Hopper and Geo. Hodge were ordained as deacons; Saturday before second Sunday in February, , Eld. Hunt was elected pastor and served two months; in May, 1886, Eld. S. H. Hardy was elected and served until May, 1888. At July meeting, 1888, Eld. R. E. Burks was elected and served until September, 1889; Eld. T. J. Akins supplied the church until January, 1890, when Eld. J. M. Carter was chosen, and served until his resignation in October, 1891. Eld. W. H. Burnham was elected in December, 1891, and served one year; in December, 1892, Eld. J. M. Freeman was elected and is at present writing (July, 1893,) ministering to the church. These items were kindly furnished by brother T. Y. Williams. Sunday school in running order all the time; membership in church, 163.


PLEASANT RIDGE CHURCH was organized Saturday before third Sunday in December, 1868; presbytery, Elds. J. E. B. Justice, M.J. Conn and Deacon Isaac Wood. Constituent members, Thos. N. Childers, Melvina Childers, F. M. Kelley, Mary E. Kelley, Wm. Owen, Margaret R. Owen, Jas. Owen, Lucinda Owen, J. K. Mayo, Mary Mayo, Alex. Davis, Elvira J. Baker. Pastors having the care of the church from the organization to July, 1893, as follows :

J. E. B. Justice, December, '68, to December, '71; Norman Gaylord, January, '72, to December, '72; J. E. B. Justice, June, '73, to January, '76; J. C. T. Wood, May, '76, to September, '78; Geo. Long, March, '79, to December, '79; G. W. Kelley, June, '80, to October, '80; Geo. Long, January, '81, to December, '81; J. C. T. Wood, April, '82, to June, '82; J. E. B. Justice, March, '83, to August, '83; R. C. Gilmore, March, '84, to January, '89; W. J. Denton, June, '89, to August, '89; J. H. Moore, December, '89, to September, '90; R. C. Gilmore, February, '91, to February, '93, and is bishop to this day, the middle of the year '96.

They have a Sunday school. Clerk of the church, D. M. Dickerson. Present membership, 92. D. M. Dickerson and R. S. Boone were ordained deacons in September, 1893; Samuel Niel is a deacon. Jas. Owen had filled the office of deacon, but was subsequently ordained to the full work of the ministry.


CONCORD CHURCH was organized the fifth Sunday in August, 1873, with the following constituent members: Wood Hamilton, Susan Hamilton, Samuel Griffin, Martha Griffin, Martha J. Griffin, Dr. Samuel Griffin, Alex. Lane, Valeria Griffin. The first minute preserved was in September, 1874, when brother Jos. Blakey and Amelia Lemon joined by letter. The succession of pastors is not given. The writer remembers a very precious meeting we had in 1886, commencing October 24. Eld. Geo. Long was the pastor; Eld. J. F. Ingram and brother Whit. Burnes were with us. The meeting closed on the 31st with eight professions and two restored. The names of those professing were Mrs. Degraffenreid, Thos. Degraffenreid, Cyntha Jones, R. C. Sell and wife, Ada Coble, Elzura Scroggins and Geo. Renfro. Brother Berry Scroggins and Si Jones were restored. The church in 1891 had 105 members and a Sunday school part of the year. Present pastor (November, 1896,) Eld. J. C. Thompson.





This website created June 3, 2015 by Sheryl McClure.
2015 Missouri American History and Genealogy Project