which was incorporated in 1848, became a popular institution and was
located in a two-story frame building on Shenango street. There is record
of a public program given by the students of the academy on the fourth of
July, 1848, in the old Presbyterian church. The academy was conducted at
the time by Rev. D. H. A. McLean and Rev.
J. G. Wilson. Among the students who took part in the program were Augustus
L. Wick, later a Greenville banker; William
M. Brandon, later a physician; J. C. Brown,
who made a part of the newspaper history of the county; A.
M. Cowan, who became a doctor; W. G. Rose,
afterwards a congressman from Ohio; Samuel C.
Martin, later a physician; and several others. After the school had
served its purpose, the building was converted into dwelling houses.
Before the union of the school districts there was a two-room school on
the east side and a similar building on the west side.
Century History of Mercer County,
1909, page 112.
largely through the agency of James R. Wick,
became for a time a popular institution, and served its purpose in
fostering an educational spirit in the community. The school was
incorporated July 1, 1848. It erected a two-story frame structure of two
rooms, which stood on Shenango Street. It was converted into two dwelling
houses, now  the property of William McDowell,
of Greenville, and Harlan Book, of Butler County, Penn.
of Mercer County,
1888, page 417