Stewart Iron Company, Limited, originated in 1870 as the Otis
Iron Company, which in 1872 became the Stewart Iron Company, and in 1877
took the present title. David Stewart was
at the head of the original company. Samuel
McClure has been in the position of superintendent or general
manager of these works since 1874. In addition to the manufacture of pig
iron, a slag cement works is operated in connection with the furnaces.
Century History of Mercer County,
1909, page 359
Stewart Iron Works, under the ownership of the Stewart Iron
Company, limited, date their origin in 1870, when they were established
by the Otis Iron Company. Two years later the firm was changed to the
Stewart Iron Company; and again on the 20th of June, 1877, the Stewart
Iron Company, limited. The organization embraced David
Stewart, of New York, chairman; Fayette
Brown, general agent, and Harvey H. Brown, assistant
general agent. To these are now added Theodore F.
Hicks, secretary, New York, and Gardner P.
Lloyd, treasurer, New York. The two Browns are located in
Cleveland. Hon. Samuel McClure is the
general manager of the works. The plant occupies thirty acres of ground.
Four acres are covered by the mill and furnaces, and the remainder by
dwellings to accommodate the families of employee. The buildings consist
of the rolling-mill, 60x336 feet in dimensions, machine shop, two
casting houses, large stock house, office and furnaces. The furnace is
double, one stack being sixty-five and the other seventy feet in height,
with boshes twelve and two-thirds and thirteen and two-thirds feet
respectively. The full capacity of the two furnaces is about 62,000 net
tons, but the average annual output is 55,000 net tons per year. Lake
Superior ore is consumed, with coke manufactured by the company at their
own coke works, at Uniontown, Fayette County, where they have 120 ovens,
employing 120 hands.
of Mercer County,
1888, pages 196-197