Shenango Machine Works,
limited, are owned by Daniel Eagan, Frank Buhl,
Joseph Riddle and Samuel McClure.
The works were formerly constructed by William
McGilvray & Co., by whom it was purchased in 1854. At that
time it was a woolen factory, but was changed at once to a foundry and
machine shop, known as the Sharon foundry. Mr.
McGilvray carried on the business successfully until his death,
July 5, 1877. In March, 1881, Daniel Eagan
and Samuel McClure purchased the property,
and in 1883 the present company was organized, with a capital of
$40,000. The plant occupies three acres, on which are erected the
buildings, seven in number. The foundry is commodious, being a brick
structure 50x80, with a wing 30x30. The machine and pattern shop is a
large building, originally put up for a woolen-mill. It is three stories
high, and is 34x80 feet. The pattern house a
one story building, 30x50 feet. The officers are Frank
Buhl, president, and Daniel Eagan,
secretary, treasurer and general manager.
of Mercer County,
1888, page 197