Jamestown Banking Company
     
   

Jamestown Banking Company

The Jamestown Banking Company, one of the old and solid financial institutions of Mercer county, was organized July 21, 1874, with a capital stock of $50,000. Its original officers were as follows: Dr. William Gibson, president; James McMaster, vice president, and W. W. Davis, cashier. By the death of Dr. Gibson, Mr. McMaster succeeded to the presidency, and remained at the head of the bank’s affairs until his death in 1897. The deceased thus added another strong claim to the fatherhood of Jamestown, upon whose homestead the main portion of the town was laid out and in the furtherance of whose interests he had always been foremost. In the meantime William A. McMaster, the son, had entered the bank, of which he became cashier in 1885, and when his father died, twelve years later, he was the only legitimate successor to the presidency. Under the able guidance of both father and son, the Jamestown Banking Company has successfully weathered all financial crises, national and local, and has long since been classed as a most substantial and progressive institution. 

Twentieth Century History of Mercer County, 1909, pages 228 - 229

 

                      

Return to the Mercer County

Genealogy Main Page

Or Visit One of these Major Sections of the Site:

Biographies

Cemeteries

Census Data

Churches

General info

Men of the Cloth

Military

Obituaries

Old Photos

Orphans

Places

Query & Data Boards

Schools

Search

Surnames

Western PA Old Photos      familyoldphotos.com

  Crawford County USGenWeb site       Lawrence County USGenWeb site     

Harry A. "Dutch" Rapp Memorial Website

 

All photos, documents and graphics contained in the Mercer County Genealogy pages are copyrighted by the submitter and by this site.  You may not use them elsewhere, whether in print or electronically, without written permission.  

Space provided by RootsWeb.  

 

Copyright © 2004 Teri A. Brown, Walter Brown and Assoc. All rights reserved.