Greenville National Bank
was incorporated and organized in the month of April, 1875. It succeeded
to the business of the old firm of Achre, Wick
& Company, the first regular banking concern in the borough. The
original capital stock was $110,000, and the first officers were Wm.
Achre, president, Wm. H. Beil,
cashier and Geo. O. Keck, assistant
cashier. The other persons who were instrumental, in connection with the
officers just named, in the organization of this bank and who
constituted the first board of directors were James
Sheakley, John Keck, Andrew Burnett, Marvin
Loomis, James A. Stranahan, John R. Packard, James Campbell and A. F.
The capital stock
was reduced to its present amount of $90,000 on the 10th of January,
1882, at which time Mr. Achre retired from
the presidency of the bank and ceased to be a member of the board. At
the same time Mr. John Keck was elected
president of the bank, in which position he continued until the time of
his death, about September 1, 1885. Mr. A. F.
Henlein, who at the present time is president of the bank, was
elected January 12, i886, and has continued to be at the head of its
affairs since that time.
charter of this bank expired in April, 1895, at which time it was
continued under the laws of the United States for another period of
twenty years from that date. The bank has been for many years prosperous
and successful and is considered one of the strongest institutions of
its kind in the State of Pennsylvania. The present capital is $90,000,
surplus $65,000 and undivided profits $23,000. Mr.
G. B. Chase is vice president and Mr. L.
Henlein, cashier, and the board of directors consists of the
following well known citizens of the borough: A.
F. Henlein, G. B. Chase, Andrew Davis, C. J. Achre, E. L. Filer, J. F.
Mathers and Till Reiss.
Century History of Mercer County,
1909, page 229
The first banking
institution in Greenville was opened about the year 1850, by
James R. Wick, who conducted a private brokerage business. In 1856
he was succeeded in this by Achre, Wick
& Co., the first firm to begin a regular banking business in the
county. Its members were William Achre, A. L. Wick
and George A. Bittenbanner. The business
was located in the second story of a building situated on the spot where
the First National Bank now stands. In the year 1859 the present
building of the Greenville National bank was erected by this firm, and
used by them until April, 1875, when William H.
Boil and George O. Keck were
admitted. William Achre purchased the
interests of Mr. Bittenbanner and Mr.
Wick, and the institution was chartered under the name of the
“Greenville National Bank.” The capital stock of the oil bank had
been $25,000, which was amply sufficient at the time, although a large
and profitable business was carried on; but under the new name this was
increased to $110,000. The first officers were William
Achre, president; William H. Beil,
cashier, and George O. Keck, assistant
cashier. The bank at present is in good condition, having a capital
stock of $90,000, a surplus of $8,000 and deposits amounting to upward
of $80,000. Its business, while local, is good, and the institution is
credited with the confidence of its patrons. The present  officers
are A. F. Henlein, president; William
H. Beil, cashier, and Harry Watson,
of Mercer County,
1888, page 441