Grove City National Bank of Grove City,
Pennsylvania, was originally organized in 1900 as the Peoples National
Bank with a capital stock of $25,000, which in 1903 was increased to
$50,000, and again in 1908 it was consolidated with the Grove City
Savings & Trust Co. and the name changed to the Grove City National
Bank, with a capital stock of $100,000. This bank is enjoying a rapid
growth and is considered one of the best managed institutions in the
county. Its surplus and undivided profits amount to over $20,000 and
deposits amount to over $300,000.
The officers and
directors of this institution, who are among the most careful,
substantial and conservative citizens of the county, are as follows: Jno.
A. Bell, who at one time was treasurer of Allegheny county and is
also at the head of the Carnegie Trust Co., is president; E.
J. Fithian, treasurer of the Bessemer Gas Engine Co., is vice
president; E. B. Harshaw, cashier; the
other directors besides the president and vice president are Jno.
P. Barr, T. B. DeArmit, Robert J. Breckenridge, Ira C. Black, Wm. S.
Bell, C. G. Harshaw and T. M. Patterson.
In addition to
the general commercial banking the institution embraces a safe deposit
and savings department. And they are now building [the building shown at
right] on the most prominent corner in the town an exclusive banking
room, which will be one of the finest and most commodious banking homes
in the county.
Century History of Mercer County,
1909, pages 230-231
of Dr. Edwin J. Fithian
of Edwin B. Harshaw