First National Bank of Sharpsville
succeeded the Iron Banking Company, established in 1873 by James
Pierce and Sons, L. Erfling and J.W.
Ormsby, with a capital stock of $50,000. Its first officers were:
General Pierce, president, and L. Hefling,
cashier. In 1875, soon after the death of General
Pierce, Frank Pierce, son of the deceased, succeeded his father
to the presidency, which he has held continuously since. About the same
time Charles E. Agnew was elected cashier,
a position which he still holds. In 1883 the business was reorganized, Walter
Pierce, Wallace Pierce, James B. Pierce and C.
E. Agnew being also stockholders in the new concern. The Iron
Banking Company was re-organized as the First National Bank of
Sharpsville in 1903, commencing business on June 15th of that year. Its
present capital surplus and undivided profits amount to over $125,000,
and its officers are as follows: Frank Pierce,
president; James R. Gemmill, vice
president; and C. E. Agnew, cashier. Its
directors (besides the foregoing) are James Blaney,
J. H. Twitmyer, T. H. Given, W. G. Kranz, C. C. Moore, James B. Pierce
and Peter J. Pierce.
Century History of Mercer County,
1909, page 228
in 1924: Frank Pierce,
President; Jas. R. Gemmill, Vice-President;
Dr. J. H. Twitmyer, Vice-President; T.
F. Wickerham, Cashier; and L. M. Bartleson,
Asst. Cashier. View
advertisement from 1924