Upper Sandy Presbyterian Church
  Sheakleyville 
 

Upper Sandy Presbyterian Church

 

The Upper Sandy or Georgetown Presbyterian congregation was organized in 1799 by Elisha McCurdy and Joseph Stockton. The first eldership consisted of Alexander McCracken and William Byers.   Rev. William Wylie acted as the first pastor, his service extending from April 13, 1802, to December 5, 1804. The next year Rev. Stockton, then located at Meadville, supplied the congregation one-third of his time. The following year Mr. Johnston performed similar service. The eldership removing from the place the congregation became extinct for a time. In 1814 the reorganization of the congregation, under the name of Georgetown, occurred, Rev. Ira Condit becoming their pastor. This relation he sustained until the date of his death, October 24, 1836. Rev. David Waggoner was installed next, July 11, 1888, and continued until May 4, 1853. Rev. James M. Shields succeeded August 9, 1855, and continued until February 28, 1864. In May, 1864, Mr. Waggoner returned and was employed two-thirds of his time, the remainder being devoted to Greenfield. He continued until February, 1872. Rev. J. M. Robinson became pastor in May, 1873. The first meeting-house, built on the farm of Joseph Brush, was made of rough logs. Its floor consisted of mother earth, and its windows of oiled paper. The second was erected about 1818. It was hewed logs, had a floor and glass windows, and was a decided improvement in point of architecture.  The highest subscription for its erection was made by Martin Carringer, $10.  The 

 

List of the Churches in Sheakleyville today

 

Biography of Ira Condit, one of the early pastors of the Upper Sandy Presbyterian Church in Sheakleyville

 

 

 

 

 

Churches in the Sheakleyville Sandy Creek area

 

continued -

present structure was dedicated January 4, 1835. The session of the church has borne such names as William Byers, Samuel Axtell, Andrew McCracken, Robert Tiffany, John Condit, John Stinson, Orison Eels, John Kerr, David Hadley, David Thompson, John W. McCracken, Hugh Lackey, Jacob Vaughn, Andrew De Arment, W. P. Mc Donald and others. 

The History of Mercer County,1888, page 474.

 

                      

Return to the Mercer County

Genealogy Main Page

Or Visit One of these Major Sections of the Site:

Biographies

Cemeteries

Census Data

Churches

General info

Men of the Cloth

Military

Obituaries

Old Photos

Orphans

Places

Query & Data Boards

Schools

Search

Surnames

Western PA Old Photos      familyoldphotos.com

  Crawford County USGenWeb site       Lawrence County USGenWeb site     

Harry A. "Dutch" Rapp Memorial Website

 

All photos, documents and graphics contained in the Mercer County Genealogy pages are copyrighted by the submitter and by this site.  You may not use them elsewhere, whether in print or electronically, without written permission.  

Space provided by RootsWeb.  

 

Copyright 2004 Teri A. Brown, Walter Brown and Assoc. All rights reserved.