Fairfield Presbyterian Church
was organized near what is now the village of New Vernon, in September,
1799, and is, therefore, the oldest congregation of the denomination in
Mercer County. Elisha McCurdy and Joseph
Stockton superintended the organizing of the congregation.
Daniel Axtell, David Condit and Ithiel Dodd,
all “Ten-Milers,” were the first elders. They came from Washington
County, and brought their religious convictions with them. Rev.
William Wylie was the first pastor, from 1802 to 1804. He also
preached for Upper Sandy congregation. He was succeeded by Rev.
Cyrus Riggs in October, 1807, the pastorate continuing until
April, 1812. Rev. Ira Condit began at the
last date, and continued as pastor until October, 1836. The next pastor
was Rev. David Waggoner, remaining from
July, 1838, to May, 1853, at which latter date Rev.
J. M. Shields began his labors, and continued them until 1864. Rev.
John Rice succeeded as a stated supply. Such is the early history
of the pioneer Presbyterian congregation in the county. The present
church edifice is seventy-one feet long, and proportionately wide. Near
it is a grave-yard, which has received the bodies of many of the
pioneers, as its marble, slabs will plainly show.
of Mercer County, 1888, page 562
Presbyterian Church, click to enlarge