S. KENNEDY, the
capable and obliging postmaster at Grove City, Mercer county,
Pennsylvania, was born April 7, 1848, in Cool Spring township, Mercer
county, a son of James and Laura (Williams) Kennedy.
The father was born in Hayfield township, Crawford county,
Pennsylvania, in 1809 and was accidentally killed in 1869 while a resident
of Hickory township, Mercer county. He was a son of William
and Mary (Stevenson) Kennedy. William Kennedy was of Scotch-Irish
parents and they were very early settlers in Crawford county. He died in
1819, being buried in Salem township, Mercer county. His death occurred in
Mercer county, in which locality he was among the early school teachers.
He was also a soldier in the war of 1812. Mrs.
William Kennedy was of the Stevenson family, which has long resided
in western Pennsylvania and the descendants of which are very numerous.
Steven son, the inventor of the railway locomotive, was a member of this
Kennedy, the father, was by trade a hatter and made the
“beaver” and other fur hats worn by men in long ago. He and his
faithful wife reared five daughters and four sons—a tenth child dying in
infancy. Of this large family, James S., of
this memoir, is the third in order of birth. He was reared on the farm and
educated in the common schools. He left the farm when just a little more
than twenty years of age, and learned the trade of a stationary engineer,
which he followed for about thirty years. His work was hoisting from coal
mines. For many years he took an active part in politics, and in 1899 was
appointed post master at Grove City and is the present incumbent of this
office. He has always voted the Republican ticket, and in church
connection is of the Methodist Episcopal denomination. He commenced the
conflict of life as a hard-working young man, and has ever been
industrious and honorable among his fellow men. He has made a very
efficient postmaster and under his administration the rural free delivery
mail routes have been established out from Grove City—the first in 1890
and the last in 1897, and also city delivery service.
Kennedy was united in marriage in 1870 to Miss
Julia Bower, a native of Upper St. Clair township, Allegheny
county, Pennsylvania, born May 5, 1851, and died April 2, 1900. She was
the mother of seven children, two of whom died in childhood; the surviving
are: Mrs. M. A. Young; James A., who is
assistant postmaster under his father; Mrs. Florence
Bleakney; Laura and Julia.
A. Kennedy, son of James S., was born
in Shenango township, Mercer county, Pennsylvania, March 3, 1873; he was
educated in the. Grove City public schools and at Grove City College. He
learned the stationary engineer’s trade from his father and followed
this for coal mines up to 1899, when he was appointed assistant postmaster
under his father. In 1898 he enlisted in Company F, Fifteenth Pennsylvania
Regiment, or service in the Spanish-American war and was mustered out of
service at Athens, Georgia, February, 1899. He is still a member of the
same company, now known as Company M, of which he was second lieutenant
for three years and for the last two years has been first lieutenant. He
is a member of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, Greenville Lodge
No. 145. In religious matters Mr. Kennedy is
a member of the Methodist Episcopal denomination.
Century History of Mercer County,
1909, Vol. I, pages 514-515