D. C. KAMERER. – The Kamerer family is representative of the
old pioneer element of Mercer County.
The first members of this family came from Westmoreland county and
located in what is now Delaware Township.
Adam Kamerer, on of their number and
father of Henry D. C., of this sketch, settled there with his wife, Mary
Magdalene Willyard, in 1822. Delaware township at that time was
practically an unsettled wilderness.
With several of his brothers he once set to work clearing the
forest and establishing a home. The children of this family are: Daniel,
Peter, Casper, Adam. Ludwig and Elizabeth (twins), Jacob,
Catherine, Henry D. C., Lydia and Harriet, all of whom have died
except Casper, Ludwig, Henry D. C. and Lydia,
wife of James Mc Dowell, of Oregon. Both
parents were earnest members of the German Reformed church (now the
Reformed church in the United States) and Adam
Kamerer was successively a Whig and a Democrat.
D. C. Kamerer, of this sketch, was born in Delaware township and
has passed all of his life in this locality. As a farmer and stock raiser he followed in the successful
career of his father, and some years ago retired from active work. In 1870
Mr. Kamerer was married to Miss Isabella Jane
a daughter of Andrew and Elizabeth (Goonderman)
Laudermilch, her father being a farmer of the township, who
migrated from Dauphin county, Pennsylvania, at an early age. Mrs. Kamerer
died in 1888, the mother of tile following children: John,
a Michigan farmer, who married Mollie Messemer,
of Ohio; Annie, now Mrs.
Oliver Hittle, a well known farmer of Delaware township; Harry
Edwin, who married Miss Elizabeth Moyer
and is now living on the old homestead in Delaware township; and Irwin
Delancet, a farmer of West Salem township, who married Miss
Century History of Mercer County, 1909, page 835-837.