A. FRAMPTON, farmer and contractor, post office,
Transfer, PA, was born December 3, 1837, in Clarion County, PA, and is a
son of Maj.
Jonathan and Matilda (McDowell) Frampton, whose family
consisted of five children: David
E., wife of J.C.
Duncan, and Matilda.
Our subject was reared in Clarksville, where he was also
educated. He early engaged
in business, his first venture being transporting of coal and
merchandise, running a line of boats upon the Beaver & Erie Canal,
in which business he was engaged from 1855 to 1870.
He was also extensively engaged at the same in the lumber
business. He is at present
largely engaged in railroad contracting, and is one of the most
extensive farmers of Mercer County, operating some 1,100 acres.
Frampton has never held any
public office, his extensive business and farming operations demanding
his entire time. Politically
he is an ardent Democrat, and one of Mercer County’s enterprising and
successful citizens. His
residence in Pymatuning Township is one of the most substantial and
elegant in the county. He
married, in 1869, Miss
Delora, daughter of Robert
Stewart, of Hickory Township, and by this union they have
had nine children:
S., deceased. Mr.
Frampton and family are members of the Baptist Church of
of Mercer County, 1888 page 906
and Submitted by Janet Stanko