P. FOSTER, post-office Sandy Lake, breeder of Standard breed horses,
was born in Venango County, Penn., May 10, 1849, to John
and Mahala (Byers) Foster, natives, the father of Venango and the mother
of Pulaski, now Lawrence County. The parents lived after marriage in Franklin,
where the father followed rafting lumber and boat building. He died on the
ground where the United States Hotel of Franklin now stands, in 1851. His widow
died in 1853. They had only one child. The parents belonged to the Methodist
Episcopal Church. The father owned, at death, the farm that Fosterís Station
is located on, which was named for him.
At the death of his
father our subject was taken by his grandfather, Byers,
who then lived in Venango County, but who now lives in Fairview Township, Mercer
County. He stayed with his grandparents until 1870, and was educated in the New
Lebanon Academy, Sheakleyville schools and Jamestown Seminary.
He then, in 1870, came to
Sandy Lake and engaged in the livery business with J. W.
Byers, continued for three years, and then sold the business to the Barnes
Brothers. This stable is now  owned by S. P. Turner.
He then entered into the dry goods business with Devore
& Stevenson, and continued nearly three years. He erected a fine bank
building, and July 1, 1876, opened a private bank under the firm name of Brown
& Foster. Mr. J. F. Brown, of this firm,
died in November, 1876, and was in the bank but once. Mr. Foster continued to
operate the bank for seven years, and finally concluded to close up the
business; he notified his depositors, paid them their money and withdrew his
stock. He then bought one-third interest in the dry goods store of Paden, Patton
& Co., of Greenville, and lived there for two years, when he withdrew, came
back to Sandy Lake, and engaged in stock breeding, being in full partnership
with B. B. Wright in the same.
He was married September
8, 1872, to Jessie Brown, and had four children: Brown,
deceased; John, deceased; Katie,
deceased, and Jessie. His wife died March 8, 1881.
She was a consistent member of the Presbyterian Church.
He was again married, to
Lizzie Whitling, September 5, 1883, and has two boys: Charles
W. and James B. He is a member of the A.F.M.,
K.of H., A.O.U.W. and K.& L of H. He and wife are members of the
Presbyterian Church, and be is a Democrat. Mr. Foster is a real representative
of a self-made, thorough-going business man, who has won the esteem of every one
with whom he has had dealings, by his faithful fulfillment of business
agreements. He began in life by working out by the month, and is the artificer
of his present little fortune.
History of Mercer
County, 1888, pages 1054-1055