FARRAH, farmer, post-office Sandy Lake, was born December 9, 1833, in
Trumbull County, Ohio, to Isaac and Hannah (Webster)
Farrah, natives, the father of New Jersey and the mother of
Massachusetts. They came to Ohio when small. They were married in Trumbull
County, Ohio, where they lived until 1838, when they settled in Sandy Lake
Township. The father died in Michigan at the home of his son, Isaac
Farrah. His father was a soldier in the Revolutionary struggle, and
served under George Washington and Mad Anthony Wayne. The children of Isaac
Farrah were: Sallie, married Henry
Leonard; Abram, dead; Webster, lives in
Ohio; Isaac, Hazzard, Edwin and Edmund,
twins; Hannah, married John
Our subject was educated
in the common schools, and has always been a farmer. He was married in 1855 to Eliza
DeFrance, by whom he has five children: Mary,
married A. T. McElwain; Jefferson, at present
treasurer of Stark County, D. T.; Clara, married
George Beggs; Jessie M. and Nannie, a
teacher. Mr. Farrah is a stockholder of the
Stoneboro Fair. He has taken an active interest in the Democratic party.
Farrah was born August 29, 1833, in Mill Creek Township, to John
and Mary (Dailey) DeFrance, the former of whom was a native of France.
The Daileys were of Irish descent, and served in
the Revolutionary War under Anthony Wayne. The first to come to this country was
the great-grandfather of Mrs. Farrah. Her parents
had five children who grew up: R. M., dead; John,
dead; Nancy, married John M.
Galloway; Eliza J. and James A. Her grand
parents, James and Elizabeth (Arthur) DeFrance, had
twelve children: Robert, Allison, John, James, Charles,
Abram, William, Arthur, Matthew, Boon, Anna and Eliza, who died when
small from the bite of a rattlesnake. The maiden name of the mother of Elizabeth
Arthur was Boone, and she was a niece of the
renowned Daniel Boone. Robert was at a time a
prominent officer at Burlington, Iowa, and both he and John
were in the War of 1812. Robert fought in the
battle of Lake Erie.
and Mrs. Farrah are consistent members of the Presbyterian Church of
History of Mercer
County, 1888, page 1058.