W. GIEBNER, deceased, farmer, was born July 8, 1832, in the
house where his widow now resides. He was a son of William
Giebner, who is mentioned elsewhere. He was one of four children,
two of whom grew up, C. W. and Sarah J., who
married Abram Farrah. The deceased was
married October 9, 1857, to Miss Amelia Vath.
He enlisted in Company B, One Hundred and Fortieth Pennsylvania
Volunteers, and a short time after his return from the war he was
returning from town in a wagon, when his horse took fright and threw him
out, breaking a leg, from the effects of which he died April 28, 1865. He
was the father of three children: Georgie E.,
married E. W. Thompson; C. W., at home with
his mother, and John E., who married Nellie
Robinson, and is a prosperous merchant of Sandy Lake. Mr. Giebner
believed in the doctrines of the Methodist Episcopal Church, to which
organization his widow is attached.
J. P. Vath, the father of Mrs. Giebner, was born in Germany, where
he was educated. His father and brother Philip
were prominent physicians in that country. His sister Maria
married George Albright, and subsequently
settled in Mercer County. She died leaving six children: Barbara,
Margaret, Amelia, Cassie, Mary and Susan.
Dr. Vath left Germany during a war, and practiced in New York City, and
there was married to Frances Webber, and
subsequently removed to Buffalo, practiced there and in Norwalk, Ohio, for
some time, and then came to what is now Sandy Lake, in 1838, and built a
house on the site of A. P. Rose's residence.
Here he died July 19, 1854. His widow died about twenty years later. Their
children were: J. P., Amelia, Theressa,
married Alexander Lowrey; Louesa, Lewis P., Harriet,
married James Smith, and Joseph, who is dead.
Dr. Vath formed a partnership with Dr.
Giebner a short time before his death. He and his wife were members of the
Catholic Church, and were buried in the graveyard of that organization a
short distance north of Mercer. Their daughter Louesa
married Samuel Bowers, by whom she has two
children: Della, married Newton
Holland, of Youngstown, Ohio, and Lewis P.,
a printer, of the same city.
Mercer County, 1888, pages