G. HOOVLER, farmer, post office Sandy Lake, was born March 8,
1836, in what is now East Lackawannock Township, Mercer County, son of Jacob
and Nancy (Hurry) Hoovler, born, the former June 5, 1805, and the
latter July 26, 1815, both in Beaver County, Penn.
and Catharine Hoovler were for many years residents of the vicinity
of Darlington, Beaver County, and their four sons came to Mercer County: Eli
resides in the northern part of the county; Samuel
lives in the southern part; Joab is a
resident of Venango County, and Jacob. Jacob
was married to Nancy Hurry April 22, 1825,
settled on a farm in East Lackawannock Township, remained until 1842, when
they bought and settled on a tract of 200 acres in Mill Creek Township,
where they lived until 1873, at which time they retired to Sandy Lake.
Here Jacob died July 13, 1887. His children were ten: A.
G.; Mary L., married Lucius Jackson; Francis
M., married Margaret G. Canon, both
deceased, he having died from the effects of a wound received in the
battle of the Wilderness, as a member of Company B, Eighty-third
Pennsylvania Volunteers; Edward H., served
three years in Company G, One Hundredth Pennsylvania Volunteers, is
married and lives on a farm in Iowa; Catharine,
married Ansley Canon, March, 1851, and died
September 22, 1869; John C., married M. E. Firster,
and served in the One Hundred and Thirty-ninth Pennsylvania Volunteers; Jacob
T., married Mary Lynch, and resides on
a part of the old homestead; Nancy J., is a
maiden, and resides with her mother in Sandy Lake; J.
Mason, married Elsie Kitch, and died
October 16, 1879, and William, died small. Jacob
Hoovler was a Republican and a member of the Presbyterian Church,
to which his widow belongs.
G. Hoovler was educated in the common school, and was married May
13, 1862, to Mary U. Law, born May 8, 1841,
in Sandy Lake Township, daughter of William E. and
Julia A. (MaClain) Law, natives of Ohio and Cool Spring Township,
respectively, and the parents of ten children: Ephraim,
married Sarah E. Denwoody; Thomas
M., married Elizabeth Grove; Mary
U.: Eveline, married Solomon
Zedaker; Minnie J., married David
B. Wilhelm; Caroline, died small; Amelia and
Amanda (twins), the former lives with her mother and the latter is
dead; Julia A., married James
H. Gilliland, and an infant, deceased. William
Law owned 200 acres of good land at his death February 29, 1876. He
was a Presbyterian, to which organization his widow is attached.
Our subject settled
at marriage on his farm in Sandy Lake Township, composed now of 130 acres.
He is also the owner of two houses and three lots, the brick block
partially occupied by Scott’s hardware store, all in Sandy Lake Borough,
and a house and one acre in Zedaker town, all of which he made by his own
labors except the value of a colt, the gift of his father. He is a member
of the I.O.O.F., A.O.U.W., K.& L. of H.; is a stockholder of the
Stoneboro Fair and a director of the Mercer County Live Stock Association.
He is a Republican, and he and wife belong to the Presbyterian Church, of
which he is a deacon. His brother, Jacob M.,
died, leaving two children: Blanch and Catharine,
of whom our subject is guardian, and they with their mother reside on his
farm in Sandy Lake Township.
Mercer County, 1888, pages