PAGenWeb McKean County, Pennsylvania
Walker Township was a temporary township form from Sergeant Township in 1812.
A petition was filed with the Centre County Court at its August 1812 term, asking that Sergeant Township be divided into five separate townships. They stated that, at that time, there should be no possible objection to laying them out in a square form or as nearly so as the nature of the case would admit so that the settlers coming into the county might pay regard thereto and select his farm at a place most likely to serve his religious pursuits and the education of his children.
Walker Township was one of the five and was taken from the eastern end of Sergeant. It was laid out to be ten miles square and included most of Norwich and the southern part of Liberty Townships as they are now.
There evidently was no great influx of settlers to this township because in 1817 it was re-attached to Sergeant Township until such time as it should be legally organized. This was because the township had no inhabitants. This action was approved by the May 1817 term of court at Lycoming County but is recorded at Smethport.
The township remained in existence for a few years, it being again heard from in 1823, at which time an application was made to the Lycoming County Court for the establishment of the line of Walker and Sergeant Townships. At this time warrant #2504 was made the southwest corner and #2708 the southeast corner of Sergeant so that #2700 became the southwest corner of Walker with the south line running east to the Potter County line at the 26 mile tree. This was confirmed at the May 1823 session of the court and is recorded at Smethport. This township is not referred to again in the records, so must have completely disappeared as a separate township shortly after this.
More details regarding the forming of this township may be found in the notes for Walker Township.
These five townships were not in existence for
any length of time, and some had no inhabitants. Additionally, they
were formed very early in the County's existence. Therefore, if any
researcher comes across mention of an ancestor in these areas they would
be better served by checking the townships that these five were annexed
contributed by Maureen M. (Buckley) Lee