History of Corydon Township
from History of the Counties of McKean,
Elk, Cameron, and Potter, Pennsylvania
J.H. Beers, Chicago, 1890
CORYDON TOWNSHIP occupies the northwest corner of McKean county. Here Corydon run flows west by north through the northern sections, while the two branches of Sugar run meander everywhere through the southwest and center, and flow together near the west line, whence the main stream rushes down to join the Allegheny river in Warren county, south of Cornplanter's run, which also rises here. On the divide between Willow and Quaker creeks (heads of the Corydon, in the northeast corner), an elevation of 2,210 feet above tide is recorded; while on the Warren county line, where Sugar run enters the Allegheny valley, the elevation is only 1,300 feet. Geologist Asburner, speaking of this section in 1878, states that the number of houses and shanties there could be counted on the fingers, and denied the assertion of local geologists in the matter of coal beds, asserting that never could coal be profitably mined here. He further termed it the "Barren Township," but acknowledged the existence of plateaus, to which he ascribed the general character of those in Lafayette township.
The population of Corydon township in 1880 was 154. In 1888 there were fifty Republican and thirteen Democratic votes recorded, on which total - sixty-three - the population was placed at 315.
The seated tax-payers of Corydon township in 1836-37 were Edwin Adams, James Anderson (a trader), William Brown, John Brown, James L. Baker, Albert and David Cargill, William Care (tavern-keeper), Benjamin Chamberlain, Chamberlain & Hall (saw-mill owners), Alfred Forbes (merchant), Andrew Flatt, Amos Flatt, R.M. Truman, J.W. Field (tavern-keeper), Seth W. Green, Walter Guy, William Gibbs, Comfort Hamlin, Orrin Hook, John Haseltine, Abel Morrison, Rice Morrison, Jacob McCall, Morrison, Stephens & Co. (saw-mills), Moses Parmlee, Zelotes Parmlee, Juri Perry, B.H. Pike (trades-man), Amos Patterson (merchant), Abiel Rolfe (tavern-keeper), Walter and George Seaman, Perry Shannon (saw-mill owner), Clark Stearns, F.H. Tracy, Jonathan Thompson, Ben. Tome, Isaac Williams, H.N. Wheeler (store-keeper and saw-mill owner), John Wait (store-keeper) and John E. Woodbeck (trader); A. Foster was the assessor…Brownell, now of Tionesta, worked in Conover's saw-mill, at the head of Sugar run, in 1857. This mill was erected in 1854-55, while the mills operated by the Templetons, south of the town-line, were erected much earlier.
Early in 1843 a colony of German Catholics purchased a large tract of land in Warren county, near the east line of McKean, and established a commercial village, and in 1843 a post-office was existing at Kinzua.
The Corydon well, on Wilcox creek, one-half mile up stream from the Allegheny, was in existence in 1850.
The township officers elected in February, 1890, are as follows:
- Moses Johnson
- James Hinton
Corydon Township Biographical Sketches
M. J. JOHNSON, farmer, P.O. Corydon, Warren Co., Penn., was born in Livingston county, N.Y., March 9, 1835. When eighteen years of age he left home and worked for farmers by the day until he had earned enough to buy a farm in Allegany county, N.Y., which he cultivated and owned until 1867, when he exchanged his farm for a tract of wild land in McKean county, Penn., which he has cleared and improved, and now has one of the best farms in Corydon township. Mr. Johnson was married April 2, 1862, to Miss Mary A. Kirstatter, of Warren county, Penn., and they have four children - Marion W., Alice M., Cora E. and Harrie F. - all living at home. The parents of Mr. Johnson were named Daniel and Elizabeth, the former of American and the latter of German descent. Mrs. Johnson's parents were named Lorenzo and Maria Anna Kirstatter of German birth.
C. D. SEAMAN, farmer and lumberman, P.O. Cornplanter, Warren Co., Penn., is a native of McKean county, Penn., born December 25, 1836. He was reared on a farm, and on reaching manhood bought a tract of wild land, which he has improved, and which is now one of the best farms in Corydon township. In addition to attending to the cultivation of his farm Mr. Seaman is extensively engaged in the lumber business. He was married in October, 1862, to Miss Annie Smith, of Cuba, N.Y., and they have one son, Allen, who is still at home.
contributed by Maureen M. (Buckley) Lee