PAGenWeb McKean County, Pennsylvania
Cooper Township was created from Sergeant Township in August 1812. This was laid out ten miles long east and west, and eight miles north and south, embracing what is now the east half of Jones Township in Elk County, also a strip two warrants which is now a part of Shippen Township in Cameron County.
Owing to a lack of population, was annexed to Shippen Township at the May 1817 term of the Lycoming County Court, until such time as it should be legally organized.
That part of the old township of Cooper which now constitutes the east end of Jones Township in Elk County was returned by Shippen Township to Sergeant December 20, 1936. When Elk County was erected in 1843 it became a part of the new county.
Details of the founding of this township may be found in the notes for Walker Township.
These five townships were not in existence for
any length of time, and some had no inhabitants. Additionally, they
were formed very early in the County's existence. Therefore, if any
researcher comes across mention of an ancestor in these areas they would
be better served by checking the townships that these five were annexed
contributed by Maureen M. (Buckley) Lee