In April, 1868, J. P. Locke
came from Mercer County, Pa., purchased the grist mill from Samuel Bowan, and also bought one hundred acres of land, on a part of which he in 1872 laid out a town of some thirty lots, giving it the name Lockeville.
Volant post-office was removed to the place in 1874, and from the post-office the railway station takes its name. New Castle and Franklin Railway was completed to the place in 1873. Part of the lots in the village are in Washington Township, a small corner of which is on the west side of Neshannock creek. A covered bridge was erected over the Neshannock.
A church was built by the Methodist Episcopal society, and dedicated in the fall of 1875.
Rev. Mr. Crouch was its first pastor.
John and William Graham built a store soon after the town was laid out, it being the first building erected in the new town.
William Graham was the first postmaster after the office was removed to the village.
Jonathan Wilkin also opened a store, and, besides these, two shoe shops, owned by
George Carr and Frank Herman; one blacksmith shop by
Isaac Kirk, and two harness shops, owned by John Potter and
Archibald Carr, were soon established. It in a short time grew to he a thriving and prosperous little village.
A grist mill was built on the Neshannock as early as 1810-12, and in 1815 was run by
Thomas Barber. The Barber mill was changed materially, and in later days be came the property of
Twentieth Century History of New Castle and Lawrence County, 1908, page 368