House Tour, July 2005

The Historical & Genealogical Society of Indiana County will sponsor a House Tour on Saturday July 16 and Sunday July 17, 2005, from 1 to 4 p.m. each day.  The four beautifully decorated homes on the tour are:

  1. Ed & Linda Long. 923 Church St.    
    The Queen Anne style home of Ed and Linda Long was built in 1887.  The Longs purchased the home in 1997 and restored it to the original family dwelling.  The restoration includes a staircase, pocket doors, stained glass windows and elegant chandeliers. 

    There are many interesting antique furnishings throughout the house including several Victorian pieces from the Hotel Belvedere that survived the Johnstown flood.  Some of the Long’s many collections are Remington and Chris Pardell bronzes, trinket fairing boxes, pickle castors and other small collections. The stunning décor of the bedrooms exudes the warmth of yesteryear.  [Image]
     
  2. James & Becky Ferren.  135 S. 5th Street .
    The Ferren house is a classic revival style built by Dr. James Taylor around 1896.  The home has had three previous owners and was purchased by the Farrens 16 years ago.   There is an heirloom quality about the house with period wallpapering,  Victorian furnishings and floral arrangements adding style and distinction.  The original stairway from the front hall leads to beautifully decorated bedrooms. 

    The remodeled kitchen/family room has an old tin ceiling from a  Catholic School in Clymer.  The garden includes an antique bird bath, a gazebo, and a lily pond. At this home you can expect the unexpected. [Image]
     
  3. Steve and Debbie Salley.  550 Hamill Road .   
    Howard and Jane Jacoby in 1957 built the Salley home. The Salleys bought the home in 1999. Upon moving into the home, Debbie’s family and friends painted the sun porch, all the windows and cultivated the flowerbeds  around the house.

    Several months later the couple decided to demolish the freshly painted sun porch and garage, replace all the windows and build a 28’ X 46’ addition to the house. The addition, now the great room, has faux-painted walls and cupboards, a tile floor, hand-painted furniture and French doors that open to a large deck overlooking Meadow Land golf course.  The former garage is now an exercise room with hand painted murals, a cozy window seat and exercise equipment.

    The original living room is an inviting sitting area. The computer room is designed with an extra African motif. The sewing room is decorated in Mary Engelbreit style. Two smaller rooms were converted into the spacious guest room. The elegant master bedroom includes antique hand-painted furniture and a stylish master bath.  The grounds are professionally landscaped with flowerbed, tall shade trees and a comfortable patio. The remodeled home is a dream come true. [Image]
     
  4. Walter and Bonnie Wiggins.  515 Hamill Road.   
    The Wiggins home was originally the Simpson farmhouse built around 1844. The large front porch is furnished in antique wicker. The living room with its matching settees, grandfather clock, fainting couch and gramophone is just a preview of the numerous antique pieces featured in this home. The dining room contains part of a collection of over two hundred oil lamps.  The focal point of the room is the unique oil lamp chandelier salvaged from an old mansion.

    The kitchen has been recently remodeled and the large family room with a fireplace was added to the home by the previous owner.  Displayed in the family room is a sad iron collection, a school master’s desk and other antique collections. The Wiggins’s have added a conservatory for relaxing and enjoying the outdoor views.  A door from the family room leads to a large awning covered patio surrounded by a stone wall landscaped with flowers. A swimming pool and bathhouse completes this antique lovers delight.  Refreshments will be served at the Salley Home. Please remember to wear walking shoes (no spike heels please!) [Image]

Tickets are $10.00 per person and available for purchase at the Society Museum/Library or at the Hello Shop, 475 Ben Franklin Road.