Transcribed by: Jim Wise For an explanation and caution about this transcription, please read this page.
Link to a sketch of Millerstown Borough from the Atlas of Butler County, G.M. Hopkins & Co., 1874.
Surnames in this chapter are:
AARON, ADAMS, ALDINGER, ALEXANDER, ALLEN, ALSPACH, ALSTON, ANDRE, AXTELL, BAILEY, BAKER, BAPTIE, BARNHART, BARTLETT, BAUGHMAN, BEATTY, BELL, BISH, BLACK, BLAKLEY, BLANEY, BLOSE, BOLE, BOOK, BORN, BOWEN, BOYLE, BRADEN, BRADLEY, BRADY, BRANFIELD, BRECHT, BRECKENRIDGE, BRENNAN, BRENNEMAN, BRIDGE, BROUWERE, BROWN, BUCKLIN, BUFFORD, BYERS, BYRNES, CALDWELL, CALLAHAN, CALVERT, CAMPBELL, CARRINGER, CHAPMAN, CHURCHILL, CLARK, CLEVELAND, COCHRAN, COLBY, COLEMAN, COLLINS, COMPTON, CONANT, CONARTHY, CONLEY, COOPER, CORE, CRAIG, CRAWFORD, CRESSLER, CUNNINGHAM, CURRAN, DALE, DAUBENSPECK, DAUM, DAWSON, DAY, DE WOLFE, DELO, DENNISON, DENTON, DeWOLFE, DIERKIN, DIETER, DILLO, DINE, DIVENER, DOLAN, DORSEY, DOUBLE, DRESSER, DUFFY, DUGAN, DUNLAP, DURANT, EBERHART, EHRENFELT, EITENMILLER, ELIASON, ELLENBERGER, ELLIOTT, ENOCH, EVANS, FAIR, FARNAN, FELKER, FERGUSON, FERRY, FETTER, FETZER, FETZTER, FISK, FLACK, FLEEGER, FLEGAR, FLETCHER, FLOCK, FORQUER, FORST, FOSTER, FRANKLE, FRAZIER, FREDERICK, GAISFORD, GALENA, GALEY, GALLAGHER, GAMBLE, GARNER, GARRETT, GATHERS, GEDDES, GIBSON, GILLESPIE, GLASS, GLENN, GOLDEN, GOODWIN, GRAHAM, GRAY, GRAZIER, GREEN, GRIEFF, GROGAN, GROSSMAN, GRUBBS, GRUNDY, GUMPPER, GWINN, HAHN, HAINES, HANLON, HARDING, HARRIS, HARTMAN, HARVEY, HAWKINS, HAYS, HEALY, HEATON, HECKART, HEMPHILL, HENSHAW, HENSHEW, HEPLER, HERIDENCE, HEYDRICK, HIMES, HINDMAN, HIRSH, HOCH, HOFFMAN, HOGAN, HOOVER, HOPKINS, HOSKINS, HOYT, HUNTER, HUSELTON, JACK, JACKSON, JENKINS, JENNINGS, JOHNSON, JUNE, KAMERER, KEISER, KEMP, KEMPER, KENNEDY, KEPLER, KEPPEL, KESSLER, KINKAID, KIRSH, KISER, KOENIG, KRAUSE, KROHMER, LACKEY, LAHNER, LAKE, LAMBING, LANDERS, LARDIN, LARKIN, LASHER, LAVERTY, LEIGHNER, LENOX, LEOPOLD, LIGGS, LITTLE, LITZINGER, LOCKHART, LOCKWOOD, LOGAN, LOGUE, LUPHER, LUSHER, MARKS, MARSHALL, MARTIN, MASSON, MAYER, McBRIDE, McCABE, McCANDLESS, McCARNES, McCARTHY, McCASKEY, McCASLIN, McCOLLOUGH, McDERMOTT, McEWEN, McFADDEN, McGARRAH, McGARVEY, McGINLEY, McKEE, McKINNEY, McKISSON, McKNIGHT, McLAUGHLIN, McMICHAEL, McNALLY, MILLER, MOBLEY, MOCK, MOESTD, MOFFATT, MOFFITT, MONNIE, MOORE, MOORLOCK, MORRIS, MURPHY, MURTLAND, MYERS, NASH, NEYMAN, NOLAN, NORTON, O'BRIEN, O'CONNOR, OETTINGER, OLIVER, O'NEIL, PAINTER, PALMER, PARKINSON, PATTERSON, PECK, PEIRCE, PETERS, PFAFF, PIPER, PISOR, PLUMMER, POHL, PONTIUS, PRING, PURUCKER, QUILTER, RABBIT, RANKIN, RATTIGAN, REDD, REED, REEP, REESE, REEVES, REIBER, RENO, RIDDLE, RODGERS, ROLF, ROOF, RUMBAUGH, RUSSELL, SABLINE, SANDERSON, SANDOE, SARVER, SATTERFELD, SATTERFIELD, SCHARBACH, SCHAUP, SCHMIDT, SCHREIBER, SCHRIEBER, SCHROEBEL, SCHULTZ, SCHUSTER, SCHWEIGER, SCHWIEGER, SCOTT, SEIBERT, SEYMOUR, SHAKELEY, SHANNON, SHEFFIELD, SHETLER, SHOEMAKER, SHOWALTER, SHREVE, SHUFFLIN, SIBLEY, SIEGEL, SIMPSON, SINGER, SINK, SKAKELEY, SLATTERY, SLOAN, SMALL, SMITH, SNODGRASS, STAHL, STEADMAN, STECK, STEEK, STEWART, STILES, STONE, STOUGHTON, STRAHAN, SUTTON, SWEENEY, TALMO, TAYLOR, TESKE, THOMAS, THOMPSON, THORN, THORNTON, TITLEY, TOWLER, TROUTMAN, TURNER, VANDEMARK, VENSEL, VOGELSANG, WADE, WAGNER, WAKENIGHT, WALKER, WANNAMAKER, WARNER, WESTERMAN, WESTERMANN, WHEELER, WHITFORD, WICK, WILES, WILLARD, WILLIAMS, WILSON, WOLF, WOLFORD, WYTHE, YOUNG
MILLERSTOWN derives its name from the fact that a little grist-mill was erected on its site in 1805 by Abraham LASHER. This mill changed owners a number of times before 1836, in which year it and about 150 acres of adjacent land, located in 1794 by James HEMPHILL, was purchased by Philip BARNHART, who had the tract surveyed into town lots under the name of Millerstown. The location was then virtually a part of the wilderness. In order to avoid a conflict with the rules of the postoffice department, which prohibited two offices of the same name in any one State, the postoffice was named BARNHART's Mills, in honor of the BARNHART family. In the sale of lots Manassas GILLESPIE acted as auctioneer, announcing at the beginning of the sale that to him who would build the first house the price of his lot would be remitted. Daniel BARNHART accepted this offer, and building on the lot where the WESTERMANN store now stands, was given a deed for the property. Philip BARNHART exhibited his enterprise and faith in the new town by tearing down the old mill and erecting near its site a new and improved one.
The history of the site before the laying out of the town is as follows: James HEMPHILL, a surveyor, and in after years known far and wide as a fearless hunter, came in 1794, in company with Rudolph BARNHART, from Westmoreland county to Butler county in search of homes. After visiting the vicinity of Butler and failing to find suitable locations, they took their way into what is now Donegal township. Here HEMPHILL finally selected a tract of 439 acres of land, on which the village of Millerstown was afterwards laid out. BARNHART selected a tract near the site of Karns City, now known as the KINKAID farm, on which he made a small clearing. In the fall they both went back to Westmoreland county for the winter. In the spring of 1795 they again returned to Butler county, accompanied by Jacob BARNHART, Sr., Jacob BARNHART, Jr., and Adam and John HEMPHILL, brothers of James HEMPHILL. Rudolph BARNHART then abandoned his first tract and settled on one directly northwest of the James HEMPHILL tract, located the year before. John HEMPHILL settled north and Adam HEMPHILL west of the James HEMPHILL location. The other settlers in the immediate neighborhood were Jacob BARNHART, Jr., who settled west of Rudolph BARNHART, John FORQUER, who settled south of James HEMPHILL, the DUGANs, south and west of Adam [p.513] HEMPHILL, and Jacob BARNHART, Sr., some three miles east of the HEMPHILLs. In 1797 Philip and Daniel BARNHART, and Peter and Andrew BARNHART, joined the settlement. In 1803 James HEMPHILL established a distillery on his land. This is accredited with being the first manufacturing enterprise, the LASHER mill being the second. They were the only manufacturing enterprises established until after the town was laid out.
The little town prospered from the beginning, and the public spirit and enterprise of the BARNHART family soon became apparent. The new addition, or BOLE'S extension, as well as that portion of the town located on the hill above the original town, and known as the "Grove," is on the tract originally owned by John HEMPHILL, while that portion across the creek and west of the town--but not in the borough--and known as the "West End," or, more generally, as "Goosetown," is on the tract originally owned by Adam HEMPHILL. The HEMPHILL cemetery, just south of of town, is on the tract owned by James HEMPHILL and was either donated by himself or one of his descendants as a public burying ground.
The town is situated on the Pittsburg and Western Narrow Guage railroad, near the northern boundary line of Donegal township. The elevations above the sea, range from 1,195 feet, railroad level, to 1,300 feet, the Third sand of the oil field being 245 feet and the Fourth sand 320 feet below ocean level. On the heights, above the town, a copious supply of fine water is found, while the surrounding coal beds offer fuel in abundance. The gas for heating and lighting purposes is piped from local wells, leaving the occupation of the coal miner a precarious one. The streams forming the Buffalo Creek drain the town, and over their deep ravines, north and south, are the great wooden trestles of the narrow gauge railroad. The population in 1870 was 207; in 1880, 1,108, and in 1890, 1,162.
The LASHER mill was erected on Buffalo creek, near the site of the present mill, in 1805. Very primitive in its log walls, wheel and buhrs, it entered into lively competition with the NEYMAN mill at the mouth of Bonny Brook, the SARVER mill on Sarver's run, and the CUNNINGHAM mill at Butler, placing at the doors of the pioneers of Donegal and Fairview an industry for which they waited almost a decade. John WICK bought the little mill from LASHER; but sold it to the pioneer distiller, James HEMPHILL, who carried it on until his death, when Benjamin FLETCHER became owner. Philip BARNHART purchased the property in 1836, razed the log building, and erected a much better mill. Henry BARNHART next became owner, and he it was who introduced steam power. Mr. BUFFORD [p.514] carried on the industry for some time and then sold to FETZER & MYERS, who built a new mill in 1869, remodeled the concern in 1884, introduced the roller process later, and made it a modern flouring mill in every respect.
The brewery of 1849 was established by Martin HOCH and Martin REIBER, in a building erected for them by J. D. ALDINGER. The business was carried on by them and afterwards by Martin and Gottlieb HOCH until 1853, when the latter became sole proprietor. For twenty-six years Gottlieb HOCH carried on this industry, erecting a new brewery where the Henry SHEFFIELD dwelling now stands, the old building being in fact a part of that dwelling house. Mrs. Catherine HOCH, the executrix, sold the property to W. P. TURNER, who sold it to SHEFFIELD.
In the unpretentious cabin erected by Daniel BARNHART--the purchaser of the first town lot--John F. WILES, soon after the laying out of the town, exposed a small stock of goods for sale, and inaugurated its mercantile life. WILES afterwards built for himself on the opposite corner, and Andrew BARNHART opened a bakery in the first building about the year 1843, and occupied it until his new store was finished in 1848, when Martin REIBER established his business in the abandoned building. John SMITH preceded REIBER in trade, opening a stock of goods in a building in the rear of Daniel BARNHART's pioneer store. In l856 Henry L. WESTERMANN purchased the REIBER stock, building and ground, extended the house and continued in business there until 1879, when he was succeeded by his sons, the present merchants. In l847 John Jacob FREDERICK opened a blacksmith's shop here, as successor of Peter BAKER, and in 1849 the HOCH & REIBER brewery was established. In 1857 or 1858 Barnhart FREDERICK returned from St. Louis, Missouri, to Butler county, established a wagon shop, and subsequently a small stock of notions and confectionery near where TITLEY's stable stands. Michael DIETER established his tailor shop in 1859 and SEIBERT & CRAIG their wagon shop in 1861. The hotels, mill and brewery, with the merchants and tradesmen named, made up the business houses of the hamlet, when the alarm of Civil war was sounded throughout the country.
From 1861 to 1873 Millerstown was a mere hamlet, dependent upon the surrounding country for the success of its limited mercantile and manufacturing enterprises. In that year the discovery of oil in the SHREVE well on the STEWART farm, and the LAMBING well on the BARNHART farm, introduced radical changes and, within a short time, the little borough was transformed into a bustling camp, filled with the festive warriors of oildom. To add to the excitement of the times, Dr. HUNTER established the first mystery in this field on the McGINLEY farm; then came Divener Number 1, with its 1,000 barrels a day. The telegraph office rose from zero to be the third, in order of receipts, within Pennsylvania; the wires carried extraordinary oily stories throughout the world and Millerstown was filled with a population of 3,000, sometimes increased to 7,000 or 8,000 individuals, with all the institutions of a great oil field center. Much of the story of this period is related in the chapter on the Butler Oil Field, where many of the wells and many of the operators find mention. The Millerstown Eastern Belt was opened in 1876 by "Centennial Number 1," the property of H. L. WESTERMANN, G. F. FETZER and B. FREDERICK, [p.515] and particularly by REDD & McBRIDE's 350 barrel "Great Leather," struck in July, 1877, and WESTERMANN's " Centennial Number 4."
After the discovery of oil, in 1873, a new race of merchants appeared upon the scene. A. H. SIMPSON built a store in June at the corner of Slippery Rock and Depot streets, which he filled with hardware, stoves, sheet-iron and oil-well supplies. SEYMOUR & LITTLE established at the same time a store at Iron City and one where the HAYS store now stands. They sold the Millerstown house in 1875 or 1876 to Mr. SIMPSON and moved the house from Iron City. The LUPHER and the NORTON hardware stores were also started in 1873, as well as the LOCKWOOD store at Iron City. REED & DURANT established a large hardware house where JOHNSON's store now is. The BRENNEMAN Brothers carried on a large lumber business; PEIRCE & CONANT had the leading grocery, and R. P. HOSKINS was also in that business. H. L. WESTERMANN carried on the principal general store, while the BARNHARTs and FREDERICKs were also engaged in trade. HIRSH & O'BRIEN, David DALE, William LARKIN, CAMPBELL & MURPHY and H. L. TAYLOR & Company were owners of large machine shops; SIEGEL, now of SIEGEL & COOPER, of Chicago the first exclusive dry goods store; while S. F. MOESTD established a gent's furnishing and tailoring store in a large house near the present home of Mr. HOCH, the upper floor being the office of the Producers' Protective Association.
The first attempt at journalism here was made by O. P. JACKSON, who launched the little Sand Pump in 1874, and carried it on for a short period. Rev. A. S. THORN established The Review in 1875, which was subsequently carried on by Mrs. THORN, in opposition to The Herald, founded by S. J. SMALL in 1876. In 1877 Peter A. RATTIGAN purchased the office and at once brought the paper into prominence as a compendium of oil notes and county news. In this office, such printers as W. C. PLUMMER worked at the case, while others, successful in the trade, were also connected with it, including P. C. BOYLE, manager of the Oil City Derrick; J. W. HOPKINS, foreman of the Pittsburg Post and Harry T. RATTIGAN, the present postmaster, who may be said to have been raised in the Herald office.
Dr. MARKS was the pioneer physician of the borough. Dr. McLAUGHLIN and Dr. GEDDES followed, and in 1858 came Josiah McMICHAEL. The physicians who came in since the beginning of the Civil war are named as follows: Drs. S. D. BELL, GATHERS, TOWLER, T. W. HOPKINS, T. D. McCASKEY, BEATTY, PATTERSON, PECK J. B. SHOWALTER, W. L. DeWOLFE, J. L. CAMPBELL, J. L. AXTELL and G. D. THOMAS. All are named in the general chapter on the Medical Profession.
The first druggists were Samuel McBRIDE, Harry SANDERSON, of the Palace store, ALDINGER & BOLE and Dr. BEATTY. It is said that there were eighty saloons in Millerstown in 1878. The notorious Ben HOGAN had an opera house here; restaurants were numerous and on hill and in valley all kinds of business was carried on with extraordinary industry. During the ensuing years, W. P. BRADEN's refinery of 1877, and other industries, were founded.
The merchants and manufacturers in 1894 are as follows: P. A. BELL & Company, druggists; W. W. BOWEN, grocery; Mrs. BRADY, millinery; CAMPBELL & MURPHY, Machinists; Dr. W. L. DeWOLFE, druggist; Michael DIETER, grocery; [p.516] S. FRANKLE, clothier; P. G. FREDERICK & Company, lumber; J. T. T. FRAZIER, variety store; George GLASS, grocery; Frank GRIEFF, market; Mrs. HARRIS, millinery; HOCH Brothers, hardware, etc; E. F. HAYS, hardware, etc.; E. M. JENKINS, flour and feed; C. H. JOHNSON, hardware, harness, boots and shoes; H. C. LITZINGER, grocery; W. J. LOGAN, grocery; J. L. McKEE, druggist, successor of C. D. ALDINGER; J. C. MURTLAND, groceries; F. W. PURUCKER, market; W. E. REDD, dry goods store; F. SCHWEIGER, boots and shoes; STONE & VANDEMARK and W. H. WESTERMAN, machinists; H. STAHL, tailoring; C. SCHARBACH, jewelry; SEIBERT, HOCH & Company, planing mill; Catherine TESKE, grocery; WESTERMANN Brothers, general merchants, and R. F. WESTERMANN, gents' furnishings.
The GUMPPER tavern, opened by Gottlieb GUMPPER in 1838, on the site of the present SCHREIBER or DOLAN House, may be considered the beginning of the hotel system in Millerstown, though its contemporary, the WILES tavern, was fairly good. The house was a double log one, very crude without, and very plainly furnished within. Notwithstanding these defects, the table was generally loaded down with substantial food, and plenty of whisky from James HEMPHILL's new distillery could be had for a trifle. Even then, forty-three years after the first settlers located in the neighborhood, deer and other game were plenty, so that GUMPPER had little difficulty in providing his guests with rich meats which to-day are looked upon as luxuries, and are seldom offered by the best houses. The hotel was carried on by William REIBER in later days, escaped the fires of 1874 and 1875, but went up in smoke in 1877. Zachariah DOUBLE built a frame in 1877-78 on the site of the log house, which he rented to Adam SCHREIBER; CAMPBELL & JOHNSON were the next landlords, and then John DOLAN became owner. In 1884 the house was burned, and he built the present hotel.
The CAMPBELL, or GLASS House, was built for John GLASS in 1874, opposite Depot street. Dean CAMBPELL, formerly proprietor of the SCHRIEBER House, became landlord in 1882 and called it the CAMPBELL House. When John HARDING [p.517] bought the property, he carried it on under the same name, until Perry SMITH became owner. He rented the concern to Mrs. PISOR, who converted it into a temperance house. Henry SHAKELEY was a tenant for a short time, and Mrs. RODGERS carried it on subsequently to the close of its hotel career.
The Central House was erected in 1877-78 on the site of the burned BOOK Hotel, and by April, 1878, two stores on Main street front were opened, one as a tailoring house by B. FORST and the other as a wholesale liquor store by A. MAYER & Company. In May the hotel was opened by Henry LOCKHART, who carried it on until the fall of 1883, when the HOCH Brothers took possession of the entire building and continued the hotel therein, as well as established their hardware business. The house is well furnished and admirably conducted. Exclusive of the hardware and furniture stocks, there is a sum of over $20,000 invested in building and furnishings.
The FORQUER House, formerly the GOODWIN House, was built by M. GOODWIN, on Slippery Rock street. Benjamin J. FORQUER is the present owner of ground and building. The fire of June 15, 1892, entailed heavy losses on the owner, but he at once restored the building, improving it in every particular and furnishing it anew. It is rated as a first-class house, and is undoubtedly well managed.
The HANLON House, built in April, 1873, by Joseph HANLON, was burned, April 1, 1874, when the business center of the town was destroyed. Two persons lost their lives in that fire. On its site the building owned by John DOLAN, and occupied by C. H. JOHNSON as a boot and shoe store, was erected.
Among other hotels established in the seventies the GALENA House was probably the best known. It stood on the present site of the EVANS residence, where The Review was published for a time. Mr. CORE was the landlord. The Belvidere, on Mill street, where George CALLAHAN's house stands, was carried on by John KROHMER. The LEOPOLD House, where E. M. JENKINS' store is, was carried on by C. LEOPOLD. The SINK House, where C. H. JOHNSON's hardware store is, was built by Mr. SINK and afterward sold to Henry LOCKHART, who carried it on for a time, next to the old REED & DURANT hardware store. The O'BRIEN House stood where the HAYS hardware store is. Mrs. McCABE had a large boarding house on the corner of Slippery Rock and Depot streets. Peter HEATON had the HEATON House where PURUCKER's market is; Thomas GOODWIN ran a restaurant where the TITLEY barn is, and Billy REEVES kept where WESTERMANN's shoe department stands.
The Millerstown Savings Bank Association was organized June 6, 1873, with Charles DUFFY, president; G. W. STOUGHTON, vice-president; J. C. SCOTT; cashier; Andrew BARNHART, Martin HOCH, Henry L. WESTERMANN, Charles McCANDLESS, John M. THOMPSON and W. G. STOUGHTON, directors. The stockholders were the foregoing officers, and Andrew BARNHART, Jacob and Henry FREDERICK, W. H. H. RIDDLE, John G. MYERS, B. B. SEIBERT and G. F. FETZER. During the year 1874 John WALKER was appointed cashier, and he held that position until the German National Bank was established.
The German National Bank was simply the reorganized Savings Bank, established under a charter, dated May 1, 1875. In the busy oil days weekly deposits averaged $300,000, and this institution was famous throughout the State and well known in American banking circles. Charles J. WESTERMANN was the first teller, holding the position until 1880, when Henry J. MYERS succeeded him. He was promoted to cashier, and, when the bank went into voluntary liquidation, in 1885, he was appointed liquidating officer by the National Bank Commission, an office he still holds.
The Millerstown Deposit Bank was organized in 1887 by John G. and Henry J. MYERS, with the latter as cashier, and Charles L. MYERS, teller. It is the successor of the old Savings Bank, is the only banking institution in northern Butler, and does a good and safe business.
The Butler County Bank was organized in 1873, with John SATTERFIELD, who died in Paris, France, in April, 1894, president; George G. STILES, cashier, and H. J. HOYT, teller, under the firm name of H. L. TAYLOR & Company. Six years later, H. J. HOYT took the place of STILES, and E. C. EVANS, who died in April, 1894, was appointed teller. In 1880 Patrick and Thomas DORSEY, H. J. HOYT and others purchased the interests of H. L. TAYLOR & Company, and, on August 1, of that year, assumed control, with Thomas DORSEY, president; H. J. HOYT, cashier, and C. A. BAILEY, teller. With the stockholders named, were Joseph HARTMAN, who succeeded to the presidency, A. H. SIMPSON and Owen BRADY. The bank was quite prosperous for several years, and finally H. J. HOYT purchased all the stock and became sole proprietor. He conducted it until January 29, 1892, when he assigned to Francis MURPHY, and business was suspended.
The National Building, Loan and Protective Association was organized in November, 1890.
The Life, Protective Savings and Loan Association was organized in February, 1894, with H. C. LITZINGER, president, and Henry J. MYERS, secretary and treasurer. There are at least eighteen local stockholders and the association gives every promise of being a valuable addition to the business interests of the borough.
The Citizens Light and Fuel Company was organized October 1, 1887, with A. E. BARNHART president; C. F. PEIRCE, vice-president; J. C. GAISFORD, secretary; H. J. MYERS, treasurer; C. F. PEIRCE, H. C. LITZINGER, C. J. WESTERMANN, W. A. DENNISON, A. FLEEGER, C. H. JOHNSON, J. W. TITLEY, A. A. HOCH and D. B. CAMPBELL, directors. The rates agreed upon were one dollar and a half for the first stove, and one dollar for each additional stove. Though the company at first suggested even lower prices, by October 1, 1888, it became evident that the rates were too low to be profitable and the present schedule was agreed upon. In February, 1888, the company's new well in Oakland township, 7,000 feet north by west of North Oakland, proved an enormous gas reservior, at 1,105 feet in the regular gas sand. The original well, the property of DENNISON, FLEEGER, LITZINGER and others was also located in Oakland township. The company now own five wells. The Keystone Gas Company, said to have been a Standard Oil Company plant, supplied the borough, prior to 1887, or until its interests were purchased by the new company. Mr. BARNHART was succeeded as president by A. FLEEGER in 1888; W. A. DENNISON served in 1889-1890-1891 and A. FLEEGER from 1892 to 1894. J. C. GAISFORD has served as secretary from the beginning. The company operates twelve miles of three-inch main outside of the borough limits, and five miles of two and three-inch main in the borough. There are 475 stoves and grates supplied and 350 lights. The company is composed of seventeen Stockholders.
The Chestnut Hill Stock Farm, which now occupies the fair grounds, was established in 1890, when the TITLEY Brothers erected a large stable or barn near the entrance, and introduced such famous Tennessee horses, as Hal Braden, Star Pointer and Grandview. In the spring of 1894 they had quartered there, Star Pointer and Grandview, stallions; Belle Brooks, Lottie, Mollie Amis, Lady Brooks, Bulah T. and Bulah, brood mares, Brooklet, a two-year old and a number of promising colts. On the TITLEY farm are thirteen head of registered Jersey cattle, including Michael Angelo Pogus, from the SIBLEY farm, and Jim Kifer, from the McBRIDE farm.
The fire of April 11, 1875, swept down the west side of Main street, destroying, among other buildings, the McKINNEY Brothers, the GALEY and S. McBRIDE stores and the German National Bank, with TALMO's paint and oil store, and Ben HOGAN's Opera House, which stood where A. E. BARNHART's dwelling now stands.
The fire of December 6, 1877, originated in C. F. ALDINGER's tobacco store, [p.520] and destroyed twenty-eight buildings, entailing a loss of about $120,000. The east side of Main street, to which the fire was confined, may be said to have been wiped out. The BOOK House, erected after the fire of 1874, at a cost of $20,000, the SCHRIEBER House, erected in the summer of 1877, the BARNHART-FREDERICK building, and all the houses between the two hotels named, were swept away. On Kittanning street and Mill street, a few houses were torn down to prevent the spread of the fire, but the embers from the burning district carried destruction with them to dwelling and business houses on the streets named, while, on the west side of Main street, considerable damage was done to stocks and buildings. To the assistant chief of the fire department and a stranger, who was present, the stoppage of the fire at the SCHARBACH building must be credited.
The fire of July 26, 1884, was a reminder of the fire of 1874, when six human beings were burned; of the fire of 1875, when a number of buildings fell before the flames, and of that of 1877, when the whole town was threatened. The fire of 1884 originated in B. FREDERICK's dry-goods store, and was not checked until the flames threatened the Herald office. FREDERICK's building, John DOLAN's building--or the SCHRIEBER hotel--ALDINGER's dwelling, Odd Fellows' hall, PRING's harness shop and dwelling, A. HENSHEW's dwelling, the Misses McCARTHY & BYRNES millinery store and other buildings were destroyed.
The fifth great fire at Millerstown, June 15, 1892, resulted in the destruction of twenty-five houses and much damage to seven more. All the buildings on each side of Slippery Rock street, from the FORQUER House toward the railroad, may be said to have been reduced to ashes, while the WESTERMANN and Dr. DeWOLFE stores and the FORQUER House were damaged. In May, 1894, a few vacant lots, showing unmistakable evidences of this conflagration, were yet awaiting the builders' enterprise.
After the first great fire a department was organized here and raised to a high point of efficiency. It fell to pieces and made way for a new company of fireman, who were uniformed and equipped for any emergency. That also was disorganized, and later associations have been very transient affairs. In 1877 John G. MYERS was chief and P. A. RATTIGAN assistant chief of the department. The re-organization of the old fire company was effected in April, 1891, when H. J. MYERS was chosen president; W. W. GROSSMAN, vice president; J. J. WESTERMANN, secretary; C. L. MYERS, treasurer; J. G. MYERS, chief, and William E. LACKEY, assistant chief of the department. Adam SCHULTZ was foreman; C. A. WAGNER, assistant foreman; Fred DAUM, W. W. CAMPBELL, W. B. BYERS and W. W. GROSSMAN, nozzlemen, and P. G. FREDERICK, W. J. LOGAN, Joseph KESSLER and C. L. MYERS, connection-men. This new fire company went the way of the old ones; but undeterred by failures, another attempt was made; so that to-day every man becomes a member of the department in case of fire, the borough furnishing hose carts and other equipment. In addition to the regular water supply for fire purposes, there is a special main leading from the pump house to and through the business center of the town. In connection with this pipe line there is also a hose company.
The first postmaster was Matthew DUGAN, followed by Solomon FLEEGER, who held the office until 1854, when Michael DIETER, the tailor, was appointed. During the war Solomon FLEEGER was again appointed; in 1868, Charles F. ALDINGER; in 1872, Michael DIETER, and in 1876 Andrew BARNHART. William McLAUGHLIN succeeded him, and served until 1885, when Austin FLEEGER was commissioned. Peter A. RATTIGAN, editor and proprietor of the Herald, was appointed August 20, 1885, and when the office was raised to third-class, August 10, 1888, he was re-commissioned, and served until March 1, 1890, when J. J. CRAWFORD succeeded him. Harry T. RATTIGAN, of the Herald, was appointed by President CLEVELAND in April, 1894, and local journalists of all opinions hailed the appointment with words of praise.
The justices of the peace elected in the borough since 1856 are as follows: John J. MILLER, 1856, 1861, 1880 and l88l; John BYERS, 1859; Henry L. WESTERMANN, 1863; J. McMICHAEL, 1864; J. B. CRAIG, 1869; Solomon FLEEGER, 1873; A SHREVE, 1874; F. M. SMALL, 1876; I. BLAKLEY, 1878; P. A. RATTIGAN, 1881; J. C. GAISFORD, 1882; C. F. ALDINGER, 1886; G. W. HUSELTON, 1887; C. F. ALDINGER, 1887; G. W. HUSELTON, 1892, and J. C. GAISFORD, 1892.
The council chosen each year since the close of 1871, is as follows:
1872--Simeon BARNHART, burgess; S. B: BYERS, H. L. WESTERMANN, J. G. MYERS, R. SEIBERT, and J. FREDERICK, with S. FLEEGER, clerk.
1873A. A. HOCH, burgess; A. BARNHART, T. J. CRAIG, Augustus HOCH, S. [p.522] D. BELL, and G. F. FETZER, with S. D. BELL secretary, until September, when A. SHREVE was chosen. In December, A. E. BARNHART was appointed treasurer, vice A. BARNHART, deceased.
1874--P. M. SHANNON, burgess; A. H. SIMPSON, H. L. WESTERMANN, N. L. WILLARD, W. H. HOFFMAN, W. P. BOOK, and W. M. REIBER, with M. G. McCASLIN, secretary, succeeded by A. THORNTON.
1875--John S. ALLEN, burgess; A. H. SIMPSON, H. F. O'NEIL, H. L. WESTERMANN, G. F. FETZTER, C. F. ALDINGER, and T. H. RUSSELL; A. SHREVE, clerk.
1876--John S. ALLEN, burgess; H. L. WESTERMANN, Henry LOCKHART, John WALKER, A. A. HOCH, W. M. CLARK, and John SATTERFELD, with A. THORNTON, clerk.
1877--O. D. COLBY appears to have served as burgess and died during the term and F. M. SMALL filled the vacancy; Martin HOCH, assistant burgess; H. L. WESTERMANN, Henry LOCKHART, John WALKER, W. M. CLARK, G. CHAPMAN, S. M. REED, and G. F. FETZER; A. THORNTON, clerk.
1878--Isaac BLAKLEY, burgess; T. O'CONNOR, Dr. McMICHAEL, C. SCHARBACH, Jacob FREDERICK, G. F. FETZER, and J. G. MYERS; T. J. MOFFITT, clerk.
1879--F. M. SMALL, burgess; J. McMICHAEL, G. F. FETZER, C. SCHARBACH, Z. DOUBLE, C. F. PEIRCE, and J. A. HEYDRICK; T. J. MOFFITT, clerk.
1880--Z. DOUBLE, burgess; J. J. MILLER, assistant burgess; G. F. FETZER, C. SCHARBACH, C. H. JOHNSON, H. L. WESTERMANN, H. FREDERICK and C. F. PEIRCE; P. A. RATTIGAN, clerk.
1881--A. A. HOCH, burgess; G. F. FETZER, H. FREDERICK, H. L. WESTERMANN, C. SCHARBACH and J. G. MYERS; P. A. RATTIGAN, clerk.
1882--SCOTT WAKENIGHT and J. C. GAISFORD received sixty-three votes each for burgess, but at a special election WAKENIGHT was elected; W. B. BYERS, assistant burgess; A. E. BARNHART, A. HOCH and Henry LOCKHART; P. A. RATTIGAN, clerk, succeeded by C. A. BAILEY.
1883C. H. JOHNSON, burgess; C. D. ALDINGER, assistant burgess; A. A. HOCH, A. E. BARNHART and R. SEIBERT; C. A. BAILEY, clerk.
1884--W. B. BYERS, burgess; A. E. BARNHART, A. L. BRENNEMAN, R. SEIBERT, F. SCHWEIGER, E. H. BRADLEY and A. A. HOCH; A. L. BRENNEMAN, clerk.
1885--J. C. GAISFORD, burgess; William MORRIS, assistant burgess; E. H. BRADLEY, F. SCHWIEGER and R. SEIBERT; A. L. BRENNEMAN, clerk.
1886--C. D. ALDINGER, burgess; Augustus HOCH, assistant burgess; A. E. BARNHART, R. SEIBERT, F. SCHWIEGER and Dr. J. B. SHOWALTER; E. J. CALVERT, clerk.
1887--A. E. BARNHART, burgess; W. J. CURRAN, assistant burgess; E. F. HAYS, W. B. BYERS, W. J. CURRAN, C. F. PEIRCE, A. A. HOCH, and W. FERGUSON; E. J. CALVERT, clerk.
1888--C. F. ALDINGER, burgess-. P. G. FREDERICK, assistant burgess; C. F. PEIRCE, A. A. HOCH, W. J. CURRAN and H. C. LITZINGER; E. J. CALVERT, clerk.
1889--C. F. ALDINGER, burgess; P. G. FREDERICK, assistant burgess; W. FERGUSON and B. J. FORQUER; E. J. CALVERT, clerk.
1890--C. F. ALDINGER, burgess; W. J. CURRAN, B. J. FORQUER, C. F. PEIRCE, A. A. HOCH and W. FERGUSON; J. C. GAISFORD, clerk.
1891--G. W. HUSELTON, burgess; S. FRANKLE, assistant burgess; C. F. PEIRCE, [p.523] A. A. HOCH, A. E. BARNHART, B. J. FORQUER, W. FERGUSON and W. J. CURRAN; J. C. GAISFORD, clerk.
1892G. W. HUSELTON, burgess; P. G. FREDERICK, assistant burgess; S. FRANKLE, B. J. FORQUER and D. C. MOBLEY; J. C. GAISFORD, clerk.
1893--P. A. RATTIGAN, burgess; A. S. FLEGAR, assistant burgess; C. H. JOHNSON and A. A. HOCH; J. P. GAISFORD, clerk.
1894--G. W. HUSELTON, burgess; A. A. HOCH, Francis MURPHY, W. PURUCKER, C. H. JOHNSON, S. FRANKLE and B. J. FORQUER; J. C. GAISFORD, clerk.
In April, 1873, the council authorized the purchase of handcuffs; and in December of that year sixty-seven persons petitioned the council against permitting the use of gas within the borough. In 1874 committees on finance, streets, gas, water and fire, police and health were appointed. I. M. LANDERS was chosen superintendent of the water works at $1,000 per annum, and the municipal body became for the first time really an active corporation, winding up the year's work by an appeal to the people to help the borough financially. The water system was the only useful improvement brought into existence by the council of that year.
The present record book of the school district dates back to January 14, 1876, when F. M. SMALL, S. R. DRESSER, G. F. FETZER, Mr. DAWSON, H. L. WESTERMANN and S. I. McKEE were members of the board. A tax of thirteen mills for school building and thirteen mills for other school purposes was levied, and a sum of twenty-four dollars was paid the German Lutheran Society for rent of their church, in which school was held. In July, 1876, Thomas J. MOFFITT was hired as principal at eighty-five dollars a month, J. H. MURTLAND at fifty-five dollars, Mrs. BROWN at forty-five dollars, Miss KIRSH at thirty-five dollars, Miss JENNINGS at thirty dollars and Miss GRUNDY at thirty dollars. S. D. BELL and A. H. SIMPSON were members of the board in 1877. In March, 1878, Dr. James McMICHAEL took Dr. BELL's place on the board, and F. M. SMALL succeeded S. I. McKEE as secretary. McKEE, however, was reappointed in March, 1879. In 1880 P. A. RATTIGAN, Z. DOUBLE and B. FREDERICK qualified as new members of the board, with F. M. SMALL secretary. In September, 1880, P. A. RATTIGAN succeeded SMALL and served until June, 1883, when A. L. BRENNEMAN was appointed. H. J. HOYT succeeded him in 1887, followed in 1888 by C. SCHARBACH, who served until June, 1889, when J. C. GAISFORD, the present secretary, was elected. W. L. CAMPBELL served as principal in 1879; F. A. HOOVER, 1880-81; O. P. COCHRAN, [p.524] 1882; John GOLDEN, 1883 to 1885; S. W. McGARRAH, 1886; H. H. ELLIOTT, 1887 to 1893; J. H. WILSON, July, 1893, to April, 1894, and Howard PAINTER, 1894-95.
The number of children of school age reported in June, 1893, was 337, or 160 males and 177 females; the per centage of attendance was eighty-seven, and the average cost each month eighty-eight cents. The total school revenue for the year was $4,759, including a State appropriation of $1,205.80. In January, 1894, there were six teachers employed in the borough schools, namely: John H. WILSON, principal; Margaret MOORE, Ella CLARK, Mary GREEN, Mary SABLINE and Julia RABBIT. The directors at that time were C. SCHARBACH, J. C. GAISFORD, H. J. MYERS, W. A. DENNISON, John G. MYERS, S.F. SHOWALTER and Henry SHEFFIELD. During the summer months it has been customary to carry on a Normal Academy, the principal of the common schools being the conductor.
St. Paul's German Evangelical Lutheran Church was formally organized in 1849, when Rev. J. G. HAHN came here to preach to the Lutherans of this section, who worshiped at the White church prior to 1849. In 1853 Rev. William A. FETTER appears to have located and to have preached here until his death in 1865. In 1854 the church was permanently organized with the following members: Leonard, John, Adam, Jacob, Peter and John BARNHART, Jr.; George FREDERICK, Gottlieb and John D. ALDINGER; George REIBER, Gottlieb and Martin HOCH, Simon and Nicholas KOENIG, Henry L. WESTERMANN, David BISH, Valentine PFAFF, C. SCHUSTER, Stephen TROUTMAN, Henry and C. C. GUMPPER, Michael DIETER, Jacob MOORLOCK, Isaac ELLENBERGER, Michael LEIGHNER, Jonathan ANDRE, John WAGNER, N. EITENMILLER, David BARNHART, John LAHNER and several others, some of whose names cannot be ascertained from the original record. Rev. L. VOGELSANG came in 1865, making this church an appointment of his charge at Brady's Bend. Rev. L. F. E KRAUSE came in 1867, as resident pastor. Rev. Adolph POHL came in 1869, and remained until 1876. Rev. C. SCHMIDT [p.525] took charge of the church in 1877, and under his administration the present house of worship was erected, the number of subscribers on January 11, 1882, being forty-eight, and the amount, $3,014.50. The old church building was erected prior to 1854 and perhaps as early as 1850, on the site of the present one.
The congregation was chartered September 1, 1879. The trustees at that time were John G. MYERS, H. FREDERICK and J. D. ALDINGER; Charles DIVENER and H. L. WESTERMANN, deacons; Martin HOCH and Leonard FREDERICK, elders, and Charles SCHMIDT, pastor. In 1883 Rev. E. A. BORN arrived and served the society until the fall of 1887, when a vacancy occurred, visiting pastors preaching here occasionally. Rev. C. F. W. BRECHT was called in January, 1888, and took charge in May of that year. At that time there were thirty members enrolled, while to-day there are forty heads of families, the congregation embracing 375 souls. The present council is made up of August WAGNER, J. G. MYERS and Charles DIVENER, trustees; Peter FREDERICK and George FREDERICK, elders; Adam SCHULTZ and E. G. FREDERICK, deacons.
St. John's German Reformed Church was organized June 25, 1870, with seventy-three members, among whom were David, Susan, Simon, Philip F., R. W., Joseph, Michael, Peter, Obediah, Frederick and Jacob J. BARNHART; Margaret and Susanna SKAKELEY; John, Elizabeth, Jacob, Rosanna, Jemima, Rachel and Samuel HEMPHILL; Christopher, Adam, Margaret, Samuel and Catherine STEWART; John and Catherine EBERHART, Lavina SEIBERT, Isaac and Elizabeth HEPLER, Isaac KEPPEL, D. BISH, Abram HENSHEW, J. L. BYERS, John THORN, Catherine MOCK, Michael MYERS and Charles WARNER. The first pastor, Rev. A. DALE, remained until 1875, though he was only supply from the fall of 1874, when he accepted a call from the Fairview Reformed society. Rev. J. W. ALSPACH was here from January, 1875, to 1886; Rev. H. H. SANDOE from 1887 to May, 1888, and Rev. H. S. GARNER, from October 1, 1888, to the present time. The corner stone of the church was laid August 7, 1869, and the house was dedicated June 26, 1870. The society, though now composed of 112 members, is served by the pastor of the Fairview church. Prior to 1879 it was served from Sugar creek or Fairview.
The Methodist Episcopal Church may be said to date back to 1874, when Rev. B. F. DILLO, of the newly formed Greece City circuit, came here to organize a class. He was followed by R. F. GWINN, the first pastor, under whose direction a meeting-house was erected. From 1847 to 1874 the Methodists of this section attended the Fairview church. In 1876 or 1877, Rev. R. W. SCOTT came, and he caused the building of the Union church at Troutman; then came Rev. W. W. WYTHE, and next, Mr. RENO. In 1878 came Rev. C. PETERS, who after three years' services, made way in 1881 for Rev. J. LUSHER, who was here until 1884, when Rev. D. S. STEADMAN was appointed to the charge. The pastors since that time are as follows: Revs. P. J. SLATTERY, 1886; B. F. WADE, 1887; William BRANFIELD, 1888, who remained until the fall of 1893, when Rev. J. H. LAVERTY took charge. In April, 1894, there were 150 members and seventy-five probationers enrolled. The old parsonage was erected during Mr. SCOTT's term; but when Mr. SLATTERY came he stated that he would prefer the noise of the railroad to that made by school children and the society acceded to his preferences. [p.526] For a number of years, Solomon PONTIUS was superintendent of the Sabbath school, while H. J. HOYT was also a zealous worker.
Mater Dolorosa Catholic Church was organized in 1873 by priests from St. Patrick's parish, who held occasional services in the old log school house. For many years prior to this stations were held periodically at the BOYLE and McLAUGHLIN dwellings, in the vicinity of Millerstown, by Father FERRY and succeeding pastors of St. Patrick's congregation, so that the church of to-day is merely a continuation of these missions of pioneer days. The present church building was dedicated in 1874, under the title, "Mater Dolorosa." The families belonging to the new congregation were William FORQUER, Timothy and Michael SWEENEY, Bernard and William McLAUGHLIN, James C. REDD, Timothy NOLAN, Mrs. Ellen NOLAN, Thomas DORSEY, Patrick DORSEY, Michael HAINES, Cornelius McCARTHY, Jeremiah HEALY, Daniel G. McLAUGHLIN, Neil, Patrick, Francis and P. M. BOYLE, the Widow McNALLY, Patrick CONARTHY, Cephas McLAUGHLIN, William BRENNAN, John D. COLLINS, William McCOLLOUGH, John FARNAN and John LITTLE, Sr. Within a few years other families, such as the RATTIGANs and LITZINGERs, settled at Millerstown. In April, 1885, the Passionist fathers held the first mission here, a memorable event in the history of the congregation. The pastors of St. Patrick's parish have had charge of this church since its organization.
The Millerstown Cemetery was surveyed in 1876 on lands donated by James HEMPHILL years before. Among the first trustees were John G. MYERS and James McMICHAEL. In 1882 Henry FREDERICK, C. D. ALDINGER, Chambers HEMPHILL, and the first two trustees held that office. In 1887 Dr. J. B. SHOWALTER, S. S. BELL, W. M. SMITH, John G. MYERS and James McMICHAEL were elected trustees. W. A. DENNISON was elected in 1888 and in 1889. Messrs. SHOWALTER, BELL, DENNISON, MYERS and J. C. GAISFORD formed the board, with 'Squire GAISFORD as secretary and S. S. BELL superintendent. By re-election the same members held office in 1894. These gentlemen have made the cemetery what it is to-day. Prior to 1889 there was little or nothing done toward recording interments, but since October of that year a good record has been kept, showing eighty-three interments down to April, 1894. With the exception of the little graveyard of the Reformed church at Iron City, this cemetery is the Protestant place of burial. The headstones in the old part of the cemetery tell of some of the GUMPPER family being interred there as early as 1844, and of Christian GUMPPER's burial in 1848. The HEMPHILLs, DIVENERs, HOCHs, SCHUSTERs, WICKs, MONNIEs, FLOCKs, BISHs, FREDERICKs, OETTINGERs, WAGNERs and other families are represented. The fine monuments over the graves of Martin HOCH and H. L. WESTERMANN, with the DIVENER, FETZER, SCHUSTER, Jacob FREDERICK and Leonard FREDERICK monuments, are works of art in marble and gray granite.
Millerstown Lodge, Number 947, I. O. O. F., was instituted April 30, 1877, with J. P. CALDWELL, N. G.; William McLAUGHLIN, V. G.; F. M. SMALL, secretary; B. F. McEWEN, assistant secretary; Levi WALKER, treasurer; J. B. SHOWALTER, H. W. DAY and C.SCHARBACH, trustees, and David BAUGHMAN, P. A. PAINTER, John ROLF, H. D. ALDINGER, R. DENTON, J. A. ROOF, A. A. LIGGS, H. C. CARRINGER, E. G. BAPTIE, S. S. MARSHALL, C. W. COLEMAN, C. A. ELIASON and one other member. The past Noble Grands are: J. B. SHOWALTER, J. C. GAISFORD, S. D. BELL, L. A. BRIDGE, A. B. SUTTON, G. W. HUSELTON, Theo. ENOCH, John STRAHAN, E. H. BRADLEY, David DALE, A. FLEEGER, H. C. CONLEY, J. M. McCOLLOUGH, S. W. McCOLLOUGH, C. C. GRAY, E. M. JENKINS, H. R. SHEFFIELD, S. MOCK, A. WAGNER, J. DOUBLE, R. F. WESTERMANN, S. FRANKLE, L. A. GIBSON, P. A. PAINTER, F. M. SMALL, W. C. WOLFORD, W. J. LOGAN, Eli MILLER and G. G. McCOLLOUGH. J. H. LACKEY was presiding at the close of 1893, with J. J. CRAWFORD, secretary, which office he has held for seven years. The membership is 143. The hall was erected in 1887, the Knights of Pythias being partners in the enterprise. Twenty members of the lodge are members of the Endowment Association, of which J. C. GAISFORD is the local secretary.
Lady Whitney Rebekah Degree Lodge, Number 5, was organized in March, 1893, to take the place of an old lodge which surrendered its charter a few years ago. The first officers were: Mrs. J. M. BELL, Mrs. H. C. CONLEY, Nettie McCOLLOUGH and Mrs. J. J. CRAWFORD. In November, 1893, the officers chosen were as follows: Mrs. H. C. CONLEY, N. G.; Nettie McCOLLOUGH. V. G.; Anna MURPHY, secretary; Mrs. R. F. WESTERMANN, assistant secretary, and Mrs. J. L. CAMPBELL, treasurer, with Harry T. RATTIGAN, captain of staff work.
Knights of Honor Lodge, Number 818, was instituted December 8, 1877, with the following members:--W. J. McCARNES, F. M. SMALL, David DALE, J. A. CRAWFORD, C. N. BRECHT, C. O. SMITH, C. E. PECK, J. P. CALDWELL, D. F. BARNHART, C. H. JOHNSON, A. J. ALSTON, H. D. ALDINGER, A. L. CRAIG, J. W. CHURCHILL, W. L. DAWSON, W. P. GRAZIER, J. HAWKINS, James KEMP, A. LENOX, W. M. LAKE, B. F. McEWEN, John PARKINSON, G. W. REEP, F. M. SMITH, W. M. SMITH, Asa SMALL, E. H. SLOAN, W. P. TURNER, H. WOLF, James YOUNG, J. JACK, D. B. CAMPBELL, [p.528] and others. C. O. SMITH, D. F. BARNHART, James KEMP, W. P. TURNER, D. S. WAKENIGHT, S. I. McKEE, F. BUCKLIN, T. H. EVANS, A. H. SIMPSON, S. F. SHOWALTER, A. E. BARNHART, D. GARRETT, J. A. HEYDRICK, F. SCHWEIGER, John SABLINE, J. H. KEISER, A. L. FRAZIER, G. F. FETZER, J. W. GRAY and H. A. LEOPOLD have presided over the lodge.
Millerstown Lodge, A. O. U. W., was organized in 1877, with about thirty members, Dr. S. D. BELL being then Master Workman. When the charter was surrendered in 1881 or 1882, H. R. SHEFFIELD filled that office.
Millerstown Lodge, Number 457, K. of P., was organized July 12, 1878, with twenty-one members. The chancellors have been: W. P., ADAMS and S. D. BELL, in 1878-79; E. H. BRADLEY and Charles MORRIS, 1880; G. W. HUSELTON and David DALE, 1881; W. P. TURNER and L. A. BRIDGE, 1882; R. K. SUTTON and F. SCHWEIGER, 1883; John FLACK, Henry LOCKHART and E. M. JENKINS, 1884; C. D. ALDINGER and J. A. HEYDRICK, 1885; A. E. BARNHART and David GARRETT, 1886; John W. GRAY and John GOLDEN, 1887; E. J. CALVERT and E. F. HAYS, 1888; Joseph BROWN and E. C. DUNLAP, 1889; L. H. BLOSE and W. W. GROSSMAN, 1890; W. L. DeWOLFE and W. C. WOLFORD, 1891; S. H. KAMERER and R. F. WESTERMANN, 1892; P. A. RATTIGAN and S. B. VANDEMARK, 1892-93, and Daniel DIERKIN, 1893. The officers installed in January, 1894, in the order of rank, were William BRADEN, C. F. VENSEL, W. W. CAMPBELL, J. C. CAMPBELL, H. C. LITZINGER, and H. T. RATTIGAN. The past keepers of records and seals are: G. M. KEPLER, 1878; F. M. SMALL, two terms; A. L. BRENNEMAN, nine terms; E. M. JENKINS, 1885-88; E. J. CALVERT and R. F. WESTERMANN, 1889; A. M. HOCH, 1890, two terms, and E. M. JENKINS, the present incumbent, who has held the office since 1891. On January 1, 1894, there were 162 members in good standing, twenty-four of whom belong to the Endowment rank, of which Augustus HOCH is president, and F. SCHWEIGER, secretary and treasurer.
Robert McDERMOTT Post, Number 233, G. A. R., was mustered in, September 13, 1881, with J. J. MILLER, commander; J. B. RUMBAUGH and S. W. McCOLLOUGH, vice-commanders; A. L. BRENNEMAN, adjutant; Joseph DOUBLE, quartermaster; P. A. RATTIGAN, quartermaster sergeant; J. J. CRAWFORD, sergeant-major; James PIPER, chaplain, and S. B. GAMBLE and G. W. PALMER officers of the day and guard. Of the the whole number enrolled, there were ten soldiers who served in the regiments of other States, and seventy-eight were representatives of Pennsylvania commands. The post commandership has been held by the following named members: J. J. MILLER, 1881; P. A. RATTIGAN, 1882; S. B. GAMBLE, 1883; S. W. McCOLLOUGH, 1884; P. A. RATTIGAN, 1885; J. R. RANKIN, 1886; J.J. CRAWFORD, 1887 (also acting adjutant); T. H. EVANS, 1888; C. J. LOGUE, 1889-90, and J. B. RUMBAUGH, 1891. In 1892 and 1893, the post was virtually a dead letter; but the adjutant and quartermaster labored hard to revive interest in the work. In December, 1892, H. A. LEOPOLD was elected commander and served until January, 1894, when Hugh McFADDEN, the present commander, was installed. The office of adjutant has been filled by the first sergeant-major, J. J. CRAWFORD, from 1882 to the present time.
The Catholic Knights of America was organized October 25, 1886, with P. A. RATTIGAN president; Casper NASH, vice-president; John J. NASH, secretary; [p.529] H. J. SMITH, financial secretary; Owen BRADY, treasurer; John COLLINS, sergeant-at-arms, and D. GROGAN sentinel. In 1888 the following officers were elected: Rev. R. J. QUILTER, spiritual director; H. J. SMITH, Sr., president; John BLACK, vice-president; J. F. KEMPER, secretary; P. A. RATTIGAN, financial secretary; W. E. REDD, treasurer; P. CONARTHY, sergeant-at-arms; Peter HERIDENCE, sentinel, and Casper NASH trustee. Casper NASH was subsequently elected president, and H. T. RATTIGAN recording and financial secretary. Of all the members in good standing, only one entitled to benefits died, and to his widow the sum of $2,000 was paid.
Knights of Labor Assembly was instituted November 18, 1886, with the following named officers in order of rank: E. J. CALVERT, T. J. SHUFFLIN, E. F. HAYS, D. C. HENSHAW, W. J. SHOEMAKER, C. A. WAGNER, J. L. BROWN, J. S. BARNHART, Thomas MARTIN and James KEMP. The trustees were E. F. HAYS, S. FRANKLE and C. F. FISK. The assembly is not now in existence.
Chrystal Council, Number 548, Fr. O. U. A. M., was organized in the fall of 1890, and in December of that year the following named officers were chosen, the names being given in council rank: L. H. BLOSE, G. G. McCOLLOUGH, H. B. ALEXANDER, A. M. HOCH, J. L. AXTELL, M. D., Amos STEWART, W. A. CAMPBELL, B. L. McGARVEY, W. E. BYERS, John F. HUSELTON, Jr., and S. L. BYERS.
The Protected Home Circle was instituted December 19, 1890, with the following named officers: Rev. Eli MILLER, past president; M. B. McBRIDE, guardian; J. C. GAISFORD, president; J. J. CRAWFORD, vice-president; E. N. DIETER, secretary; J. A. GLENN, accountant; H. STAHL, treasurer; H. C. HINDMAN, guide; T. R. GWINN, porter; J. K. V. BROUWERE, watchman; Dr. J. L. AXTELL, examiner; S. FRANKLE and C. SCHARBACH, trustees.
BLANEY Tent, Number 123, K. O. T. M., was organized December 20, 1890, with the following named members: H. BLANEY, J. L. BROWN, A. S. FLEGAR, W. H. MOFFATT, J. K. V. BROUWERE, J. W. SNODGRASS, J. S. SUTTON, G. D. THOMAS, G. F. CALLAHAN, P. SCHROEBEL, Wm. GRUBBS, W. E. BYERS and S. M. ANDRE. The commanders since organization are as follows: J. L. BROWN, A. S. FLEGAR, J. S. SUTTON, S. B. VANDEMARK, E. C. DUNLAP, S. M. ANDRE and Dr. W. L. De WOLFE. The record keepers have been W. H. MOFFATT, Geo. B. DINE, J. L. BROWN, S. B. VANDEMARK and N. KENNEDY. The membership in April, 1894, was seventy-four, with a number of applicants enrolled.
[End of Chapter 43 - Millerstown Borough: History of Butler County Pennsylvania, R. C. Brown Co., Publishers, 1895]Previous Chapter 42--Donegal Township
Updated 29 Nov 2000, 08:10