F. M. [Marion] Hyde
F. M. Hyde, of Harrisburg, was born April 15, 1850, in Greene county, Missouri, and his parents were Perry and Eliza (Tyler) Hyde. His mother was also a native of Missouri, and the father was born in Iowa. In 1851 they started for Oregon, joining a wagon train composed of one hundred and fifty persons, but the Hyde family were the only members of the party who followed the trail until the journey's end. Perry Hyde settled in Linn county and became the owner of a fine donation claim of three hundred and twenty acres, on which the town of Harrisburg was founded sixteen years later. He built a log cabin on the tract and began the task of clearing his land. His first crop of wheat was harvested in 1852 and threshed out with the oxen, which he had brought from Missouri. He paid five dollars per bushel for the seed. He used horses to trample out the second crop. Mr. Hyde raised stock on an extensive scale and often drove four hundred head of cattle to California, selling them in the mining camps near Yreka. He was a man of exceptional ability and enterprise as well as unerring judgement and owned several fine ranches in Linn and Lane counties. He followed the most advanced methods in the cultivation of the soil and was one of the largest wheat raisers in this part of the state. He was a Mason and a charter member of Thurston Lodge, No. 28, F. & A. M. To him were born six children. The oldest daughter, America, is the wife of Hugh Shirl [sic - Sherrill], by whom she has four children: Fred, John, Richard and Mrs. Nimchick. John [sic - Robert Thomas] and Mrs. Mary Chilters [sic - Childers] are deceased. The others are: F. M.; Oliver, who lives in the Imperial valley of California; and Mrs. Caroline Bennett, who has two children, Nida and Beulah.
F. M. Hyde attended the rural schools of Linn county and had few opportunities to secure an education. When old enough he assumed his share of the farm work, breaking the prairie sod with oxen, and at the age of nineteen started out in life for himself. Locating in Jackson county, Oregon, he took charge of a stable of horses owned by a stage line and filled the position for about three years. He then returned to his father's ranch and afterward inherited a portion of the homestead. He operated the place until 1922, adding many improvements to the property and bringing the soil to a high state of development. For fourteen years he conducted a meat market in Harrisburg, establishing a desirable patronage, and also bought sand sold large herds of cattle and sheep. He prospered in all of his undertakings and for five years has lived retired in Harrisburg, enjoying a well-deserved period of leisure.
In 1875 Mr. Hyde married Miss Mary Kelsey, who died in 1886. She was a native of Lane county and a daughter of Joseph and Phoebe Kelsey, who started the first nursery in Oregon. By the first union there were three children, Lillie, Rosie and Calbert, all of whom are deceased. Mr. Hyde's second wife was Miss Flora Hodge, to whom he was married in 1891. In 1908 he was joined in wedlock to Miss Lena Johnston, and their union was severed by her demise in 1911.
Mr. Hyde is an adherent of the democratic party. He is a charter member of the local lodge of United Artisans and also belongs to Harrisburg Lodge, No. 12, of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, with which he has been identified for fifty-five years. He wears the fifty-year honorary gold badge of the order. His wife was one of the Daughters of Rebekah.
Source: Willamette Valley Oregon Biographical, Volume 2, R979.13 / H629 v.2, Pages 461-462, Oregon Historical Society Library, Portland, Oregon.
Submitted by: Tom Childers, March 27, 2000.
Return to Main Oregon Page
Return to Pioneer Biographies
Copyright © 2000 by Tom Childers, for ORGenWeb