Veterans of the American Civil War








Introduction, transcription and notes by Lyall Manson.

The Civil War in the United States (1861-1865) attracted many Canadians into the ranks of the Union Army. Most of those who survived, returned to Canada when their term of enlistment ended or they were discharged. Others returned only for visits from far-off parts ie. California, Nevada, etc. where they had gone for the opportunities which existed there and which did not exist at home.

Some of these Canadians may have been paid to take the place of Americans who did not want to fight but most, simply went off, as many young men have done before in these situations, for adventure, excitement, travel, etc.

If you find an ancestor who enlisted in a border town, you might want to explore what sort of recruitment incentives were offered to attract them. Anne Cady has made available on her website, rosters and other material related to this topic in St. Lawrence County, New York (directly opposite Stormont Co. on the south shore of the St. Lawrence River.).

A second group of veterans in Stormont were Americans who came to Canada after the War, married, raised families and lived out their lives as Canadians. It would be interesting to speculate on their reasons for coming here.

While obituaries of the individuals may be the main source of information, other articles such as the first one below may also be found. In the case of Charles W. Rees, his wife's obituary was more informative than was his.

Another source of information is that of Pension applications, both for the veteran and his widow. An Act of June 27, 1890 (American Congress) dealt with pensions for the widow of a veteran. To quote from an application filed 7 Oct 1895 by Elsie Kennedy of Cornwall, widow of Alexander Barnhart:

The Act of June 27, 1890, requires, in widow's cases:

1. That the soldier served at least NINETY DAYS in the War of the Rebellion and was HONORABLY DISCHARGED.

2. Proof of soldier's death (death cause need not have been due to Army service).

3. That widow is 'without other means of support than her daily labor.'

4. That widow was married to soldier prior to June 27, 1890, date of the Act.

5. That all pensions under this act commence from date of receipt of application (executed after passage of act) in Pension Bureau."

This application is a wealth of genealogical information ie date of enlistment and discharge; regiment and company; death-date of soldier; date and place of marriage; list of children and the birthdate of each, etc.

Many Canadian towns along the border had an American Consul and he may have facilitated the application process for the veteran or his widow.

This item contains an indication of those veterans who had lived in Cornwall:

The Standard, Cornwall, ON, 18 December 1924


On Sunday, Dec. 7th, Mr. William Whalen passed the eighty-second milestone of his career, and is still able to come up to town and see his friends, though not quite so smart as he used to be. Mr. Whalen is the sole survivor of fifty-four veterans of the American Civil War who used to reside in Cornwall - quite a unique distinction. That he may be spared for many more years is the earnest wish of his host of friends. Another well-known Cornwall resident, Mr. Duncan Monroe, the Insurance King, will pass his eighty-second birthday to-morrow, (Friday, Dec. 19th), both these old residents being born in 1842, and only twelve days apart. Mr. Monroe is still actively engaged in business and enjoys it. That he may never grow old is the sincere wish of a host of friends at home and abroad.

At this point in time, we cannot ascertain if this number is accurate. Also, in those days, they were very arbitrary in their description of communities and "Cornwall", in this case, could include an area within a radius of several miles of the Town.

The object of this page will be to account for these veterans in Cornwall and Stormont County. With this in mind, here are several that I have found starting with the obituary of William Whalen mentioned in the item above.

The Freeholder, Cornwall, ON, 30 September 1926


The sudden death of William Whalen, an old and highly respected resident of Cornwall, passed away in Montreal on Monday, September 20th, from double pneumonia, he having gone there on a visit a few days before. The late Mr. Whalen was born in Peterborough 83 years ago, a son of the late John Whalen and lived in Cornwall 37 years. When he first left his home he went to Toronto with his parents, and there he learned telegraphy. After a time he went to Cleveland, and enlisted with Co. H, Second Ohio Heavy Artillery and served for three years, when he was discharged on account of wounds. He then followed railroading for some years before coming to Cornwall. He had the distinction of being a conductor on the first street car operated in Cornwall and was with the Street Railway Company for some years. For some years he served in the Bank of Montreal, as messenger, most faithfully, and subsequently was connected with the Department of Railways and Canals, as bridge master at the swing bridge at the boot of Augustus Street, being super-annuated in the spring of 1921. Mr. Whalen was the last survivor[sic] in this section of the American government. Mr. Whalen was a life long Conservative, and was chairman of Poll No. 4, at the last Dominion election. He had a great many friends here who held him in high esteem, and to the bereaved family the deepest sympathy is extended. He leaves to mourn his loss one daughter, Miss Mary Whalen, of Cornwall, and two step-sons, J. O. Latrace, of Armstrong, B. C., and William Latrace, of Cornwall. Mrs. Whalen passed away six years ago. The funeral took place on Thursday morning from his late residence, 326 First Street East, to St. Columban's church and Woodlawn cemetery, and was largely attended. Rev. Father Baker officiated at the Requiem Mass. The pall-bearers were Dr. A. Ross Alguire, L. H. Clark, Wm. M. Munroe, Duncan McDonald, Albert Durocher and Edward McDougall.

The Freeholder, Cornwall, ON, 4 March 1926

CIVIL WAR VETERAN RECEIVES PENSION By Efforts of G. R. Taggart, a Former U. S. Consul in Cornwall The following despatch in the Toronto Globe of Feb. 24, will be of interest to Cornwall people. Mr. Taggart, the U. S. Consul mentioned held that position in Cornwall for several years, having his offices in the residence known as the See House, at the Corner of Second and Augustus Streets. London, Ont., Feb. 24 - Through the efforts of G. R. Taggart, United States consul here, William Reeves, 83-year-old veteran of the Iron Brigade in the Civil War, to-day received accrued pension of $3965 with a certificate entitling him to $50 a month for the remainder of his life. Reeves was a member of a party of thirteen Londoners who went to Detroit to enlist in January of 1865. He received $300 to substitute for a draftee, and after a period in camp was sent with reinforcements to join the 24th Michigan Infantry under General Hooker. He was brigaded with Sherman before Richmond, and was at the centre of operations when Lee surrendered to General Grant at Appomattox Court House. When the war concluded he was sent back to Camp Butler, in Springfield, Ill. While there, President Lincoln was assassinated in Washington, and Reeves was selected to be a member of the guard of honour at Lincoln's funeral. He tells a vivid story of his experiences, and his ability to name his officers, both commissioned, clinched his claim to the pension. For many years he has lived in his little one-room shoe repair shop at 753 Bathurst Street, and does not intend to leave there now.

The Standard, Cornwall, ON, 26 November 1925

DEATH OF CHARLES REES Friends in Cornwall were exceedingly sorry to hear of the death in Chicago, Ill., on Monday of Mr. Charles Rees, who was well-known here and held in high esteem. Mr. Rees built the handsome bungalow opposite the Memorial Park, Second Street, West, a few years ago and resided there for some time, later spending the summer season in Cornwall and returning to Chicago for the winter. The remains were brought East yesterday and the funeral will take place this (Thursday) afternoon from the residence of Mr. David Thompson [brother-in-law], Elm Street, Beaconsfield [in Cornwall Twp., just west of the Town], to Woodlawn cemetery. The funeral will be under the auspices of Cornwall Lodge No. 38, B. P. O. Elks, of which Mr. Rees was a member.

The Freeholder, Cornwall, ON, Thursday 26 March 1914

MRS. CHARLES W. REES Mrs. Charles W. Rees passed away on Monday morning at her home West Second Street, after an illness of only a few days. On Friday Mrs. Rees had a stroke from which she never recovered. Some years ago she had the misfortune to break her limb in two places, and has since been confined to the house more or less. The late Mrs. Rees, whose maiden name was Margaret J. MacKay, was daughter of Robert and Kate MacKay of Cornwall Centre and was 67 years old. She was married at Chicago in 1871 and resided there until two or three years since, when she moved to Cornwall. She is survived by her husband and two sisters, Mrs. David Henderson, Post Road and Mrs. R. H. Thompson, Chicago, who came east for the funeral. The funeral took place yesterday afternoon from her husband's residence to Woodlawn cemetery, and was largely attended, a number of Civil war veterans marching in a body, as Mr. Rees himself is a veteran. The services were conducted by Rev. Dr. Harkness. The pall-bearers were: - Hill Campbell, Joseph Gogo, W. Dingwall, John Connolly, David Wood, G. R. Taggart, American Consul.

The Standard, Cornwall, ON, 16 March 1922

DEATH OF WM. ELLIS An old and highly respected resident of this place, Mr. Wm. H. Ellis, passed away at his home on Thursday, March 9th, at the age of 75 years. The deceased was born in West Brookfield, Mass., being the son of the late Joel Ellis. The late Mr. Ellis served in the American Civil War and came to Canada in the fall of 1865 and made his home in Moulinette ever since. He was engaged in the milling trade for over thirty years but of late was engaged in carpenter work. He was a man whose word was as good as his bond, and his genial manner and kindly nature made him friends among all with whom he came in contact. His passing is greatly regretted in the community, where he was held in the highest esteem. He is survived by his wife, five sons and four daughters - Frank Ellis, of Milwaukee, Wis.; Arthur Ellis, of St. Catherines; Percy Ellis, of Thorold; George and William Ellis, at home; Mrs. James V. Kavanaugh, of Thorold; Mrs. Fred. Tilton, of Niagara Falls; Miss Nellie Ellis, of St. Catherines; and Miss Nettie Ellis, at home. He also leaves two brothers, Mr. John Ellis and Mr. Frank Ellis, of Moulinette; and one sister, Mrs. Henry Brahm, of Detroit, Mich. The funeral took place on Sunday to Our Lady of Grace Church and cemetery at Dickinson's Landing, the service being conducted by Rev. Corbet A. McRae. The pall-bearers were Messrs. William, George, Arthur and Percy Ellis, sons; Fred. Tilton, son-in-law; and Stuart Lester, nephew. Among the relatives present from a distance were Mrs. James V. Kavanaugh, of Thorold; Mr. and Mrs. Fred. Tilton, Niagara Falls; Miss Nellie Ellis, St. Catherines; Mr. Percy Ellis, Thorold; Mr. Arthur Ellis, St. Catherines. The floral offerings consisted of a pillow and cross from the family; sprays from Miss Nellie Ellis, George Ellis and family, Mr. A. M. Snetsinger; cut flowers from Mrs. J. G. Snetsinger and Mr. Wildrid Snetsinger. The sympathy of the community is extended to the bereaved family.

William H. Ellis (Sr.) married first, George Anna Laubor, who died in 1878 at the age. of 22y. Second, he married Catherine Keough.

The Freeholder, Cornwall, ON, 21 March 1913

A VETERAN GONE Captain A. J. McDonald Answers the Final Roll Call On Saturday night one of the oldest residents of the town passed away at his home north of the G. T. R. track in the person of Capt. A. J. McDonald, at the venerable age of 89 years. The deceased gentleman was born in Glengarry in the year 1824, and at the age of 18 joined the American army at Fort Ontario, near Oswego. After being stationed some time in New York, he was transferred to Fort Humboldt, Cal., at the time of the gold rush in 1848, where he served out his period of enlistment. He returned to New York by way of Panama, and while returning, the party was attacked by natives on the isthmus, losing all their gold. Arriving in New York, he again enlisted, and was stationed for some time at Governor's Island, afterwards being transferred to the Artillery School at Fortress Monro, Virginia, and was later appointed instructor. In 1861 he took the field with the Union forces, being gradually promoted until in 1862 he received his commission as second lieutenant in the artillery. On Dec. 3, 1862, the first battle of Fredericksburg was fought, this being the first engagement in which he took part as an officer. At that battle he received his commission as first lieutenant. This commission bears the signature of Abraham Lincoln, and is in his family's possession - a cherished relic. At the battle of Salma Heights, Virginia, he received his commission as captain for gallant service on the field of battle. He served with distinction in 15 of the most important battles of the Civil War, among them being the great battle of Gettysburg. After the battle of Petersburg towards the close of the war, he was appointed Inspector of Artillery. He was among the first officers to enter the city of Richmond, the Confederate capital. At the close of the war he was stationed at Richmond and later at Little Rock, Arkansas. In 1867 he returned to Canada, settling near Cornwall. During the Fenian Raids he was appointed major under the late Darby Bergin, M. P., and performed important service with the Canadian troops in guarding the frontier between Cornwall and Prescott.

The above item continues with his civilian record here and who attended the funeral and who sent flowers, etc. An item in all that is "A guard of honor, composed of six members of the Grand Army of Republic, comrades of the deceased, acted as honorary bearers."

In 1942 at the height of the War, the story had changed!

The Standard-Freeholder, Cornwall, ON, 9 January 1942

FIVE OF MACDONALD FAMILY IN KING'S UNIFORM With five out of eight members of their family in the King's uniform, children of Mr. and Mrs. Edward J. MacDonald, well-known Cornwall family residing at "The Maples" on Capt. MacDonald Road, are maintaining the military traditions set by their grandfather, the late Captain A. J. MacDonald. Captain MacDonald was for many years one of the most prominent figures in military history of Cornwall and district, and was a veteran of the Civil War in the United States. He was instructor of military tactics at West Point at the outbreak of the Civil War, when he refused a commission in the army. He maintained he wanted to learn his soldiering from the ground up. He won his captaincy on the fields of Gettysburg and participated in no less than 15 pitched battles. He was reported killed on two occasions, but always survived.

Captain MacDonald's army commission was signed by Abraham Lincoln, and at the close of the war he was Chief of Staff to General Grant. When General Lee surrendered, Captain MacDonald was the commanding officer who took possession of the city of Richmond. At the end of the war, he returned to his native Canada, where he continued his military career. During the Fenian Raids, he gained wide recognition for his prowess as an officer and had charge of the defense of the front from Prescott to the Quebec border.

The Standard, Cornwall, ON, 4 June 1931

FINCH MAN VETERAN OF CIVIL WAR George and Alexander Carbino Are Probably Oldest Pair of Twins Living Who Served for North (Massena Observer) Twin brothers, the oldest pair in this section and quite probably the oldest twins living today who served for the cause of the North in the Civil War, were invited to take part in the Decoration day services which were held in Massena last Saturday morning. George Carbino, 23 Martin street, and Alexander Carbino, of Finch, Ont., celebrated the 85th year of their birth on Tuesday of last week, May 19th. They were born on Barnhart's Island on May 19, 1846, and lived on the island until they were 13 or 14 years old, when they came to Massena with their parents. There were 14 children in the Carbino family, all of whom are now dead excepting George, Alexander and Mrs. Eliza Blair, 58 North Main street. The 14 children included two pairs of twins. The Civil War broke out when at least five of the boys were old enough to serve in the cause of the North. Charles, Levius, Levi, Alexander and George enlisted. Charles Carbino was killed in battle, but the other four returned. They were all living in Massena when they enlisted. George Carbino was discharged on January 18, 1866, after serving a year. His discharge papers were made out at Harper's Ferry. The war ended a short time after he enlisted. Alexander Carbino served a longer period in the cause of the North and was in several important battles. He enlisted in the cavalry. George and Alexander Carbino are not in very good health at the present time. George suffered a shock two years ago last November and has not been able to get very far from his home since. Every morning, however, he walks a block with the assistance of Mrs. Carbino. Alexander Carbino usually makes several visits to Massena every year to visit his twin brother. He came last fall for a short visit. George and Alexander Carbino were invited by the Massena Post, American Legion, last Monday. It is quite possible that both may be able to attend. Decoration day will recall many memories to these men who served the North. Alexander Carbino will have less cheerful thoughts for one of his sons, Clarence Carbino, was killed in the World War. Theron Carbino, a son of George Carbino, also enlisted in the World War. He is now employed at the mica plant.

N. B. - The 1851 census for Cornwall Twp., Stormont Co., ON shows the following:

Carbineau, Charles - age 50 - b. Lower Canada - Labourer - Ch. of England
Carbineau, George - age 6 - b. United States
Carbineau, Alexander - age 6 - b. United States
Carbineau, Levi - age 11 - b. United States
Carbineau, Louis - age 12 - b. United States
Carbineau, Charles - age 14 - b. Upper Canada

George and Alexander Carbeno were baptised at Trinity Anglican Church, Cornwall, ON in 1846. (Register 126, Pg. 3)

The Standard, Cornwall, ON, 7 January 1932

PASSING OF CIVIL WAR VETERAN Massena despatch:- George Carbino, 85, Civil war veteran, died about 4 p.m. Friday, at his home, 108 North Main Street, this village. He had been in declining health for the last several years. Death was due to the infirmities of old age. He was born on Barnhart Island, St. Lawrence river, opposite Massena, on May 19, 1846, son of Charles and Mary Fromboys Carbino. At the age of 14 he came to Massena with his parents to reside. When volunteers were sought for the Union forces, five boys in the family of 14 children were eligible for enlistment. All joined up and went to war. Charles, jr. was killed in service, but the remaining four brothers served throughout the war and returned home. George was 16 years old when he joined the army. The four brothers to return from the war were: Levious, Levi, Alexander and George. Levious died about 12 years ago in Massena and Levi died about four years ago. Alexander is a twin brother of George, and resides in Finch, Ont. Soon after the war George Carbino married Miss Ida M. DeClair, at Massena. He spent the remainder of his life in this village. He was a carpenter by trade. Besides his widow, he is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Augustus Frotz, Niagara Falls; Mrs. William McCarthy, New York city; three sons, Theron, Samuel, Orlie, Massena; one sister, Mrs. Eliza Blair, Massena; one brother, Alexander, Finch, Ont.; several grandchildren and great-grandchildren. The funeral was held from the home on Monday, with Rev. Percy B. Dolling, pastor of the Adventist Church, officiating. Burial was made in the old Congregational cemetery in Andrew's Street.

The Standard, Cornwall, ON, 15 August 1918

WAR TO END NOV. 25th. Mrs. Ida Carbino, of Massena Centre, tells of a "vision" which she had one evening during her waking hours. The sky was clear and a bright moon was shining. Around the moon was a ring, and she says that, as she gazed, suddenly inside the ring, and directly under the moon, some words took form, moving slowly across the face of the sky. She could not make out all of the words, but she says that the words " War, Nov. 25," formed themselves very distinctly, and the sight lasted long enough so that she could read it readily. Mrs. Carbino predicts the war will end November 25. - Massena Observer

The Standard, Cornwall, ON, 14 February 1918

DEATH OF ASA S. PLUMLEY An old and highly esteemed resident of Cornwall, Mr. Asa S. Plumley, died on the 8th instant, at his home, on Montreal Road, aged 74 years. The deceased was born in Massena, N. Y., being a son of Robert Plumley. He was Civil War veteran, having served throughout that memorable conflict. He was a man of kindly, genial disposition and was held in warm regard by a large circle of friends. He is survived by his wife and two sons and one daughter, Messrs. James and Harry Plumley, and Mrs. W. C. Marchaud, all of Cornwall. The funeral took place on Sunday from his late residence to Christ Church, Moulinette, where the service was conducted by the Rev. A. D. Floyd, Rector of the Church of the Good Shepherd, Cornwall. The pall-bearers were Messrs. F. Hoople, H. C. McLean, G. McConnell, J. E. Snetsinger, W. Whalen and M. A. Severance. Among the relatives present from a distance were Mr. Hugh O'Malley, of Mallorytown, the only nephew of the deceased; Mrs. F. Lavigne and her daughter, Miss Emma, of Summerstown. Beautiful flowers were placed upon the casket, including a spray from Mr. and Mrs. H. C. McLean; a star from Mr. and Mrs. H. S. Plumley; and a spray from Mr. and Mrs. Donald Cameron. The deepest sympathy is extended to the bereaved family.

The Standard, Cornwall, ON, 26 December 1918

DEATH OF MR. MELVIN SEVERANCE We regret to announce the death of Mr. Melvin A. Severance, an old and highly esteemed resident of Cornwall, which occurred at the home of his daughter, Mrs. James McNeil, Massena, N. Y. on Dec. 19th. Mr. and Mrs. Severance left here about eight months ago to reside with their daughter. The deceased was a son of the late Col. Severance, of Shelburne Falls, Mass., a member of one of the pioneer families of New England. He was in his eighty-fifth year and was a veteran of the Civil War. He lived a retired life in Cornwall and had been here about eighteen years. He is survived by his wife and two step-daughters, Mrs. J. W. McCracken, of Cornwall, and Mrs. James McNeil, of Massena. Mrs. McCracken was with him during his illness. He was a man of fine character and was held in warm regard by his many friends here. The funeral took place on Saturday last, the remains being brought here for interment. Service at Massena was conducted by Rev. Mr. Miller, and here by Rev. Dr. Harkness, of Knox Church. The pall-bearers were Messrs. C. Rees, W. Whalen, Duncan Grant, of Cornwall, and T. G. Cook, of Brockville. Mr. and Mrs. McNeil were present at the funeral.

The Standard, Cornwall, ON - May 29, 1903

Mr. Robert Craig, of Second Street, has been notified of the recognition of his claim for a pension by the authorities at Washington, D.C.. Mr. Craig was wounded in the civil war and secured his discharge from the U.S. army in 1862. His claim has been before the Pension Bureau for many years and the notification of the favorable results was received on Saturday last through Mr. John A. Chisholm, who was acting for him in the matter. There will be forty years' back pension coming to Mr. Craig, which will amount to a tidy sum.

The Standard, Cornwall, ON, 15 May 1919

DEATH OF ROBERT CRAIG An old and highly esteemed resident of Cornwall, Mr. Robert Craig, passed away at the home of his daughter, Mrs. A. C. Fetterly, on Monday last. The deceased, who was a son of the late Robert Craig, was born at Glen Walter, and was in the 80th year of his age. He had not been feeling well for over a year and last summer went to Carlsbad Springs in the hope that the change might prove beneficial, but his stay there did not appear to have the desired effect. In November last he underwent an operation for a cataract on his eye. He was not taken seriously ill until six weeks ago. Mr. Craig was for many years engaged in the hide and fur business in Cornwall, and built up quite an extensive trade. He was a man of sturdy integrity of character and held the respect of all who had dealings with him and of the community at large. He retired from business about fifteen years ago. He was a veteran of the Fenian Raids and of the American Civil War, and received a pension from the American Government for the latter service. Some years ago he served the ratepayers of Cornwall as a member of the Town Council. He was also an Honorary Member of the Commercial Travellers' Association of Canada. He spent his whole life in this section, with the exception of a few years, during which he resided in Toronto. For the past ten years he has made his home with his daughter who is his sole survivor. His wife, whose maiden name was Annie McGregor, of Summerstown, predeceased him twenty-six years ago. He is survived by two brothers, Messrs. Hector and W. A. Craig, of Cornwall; and two sisters, Mrs. Robert Arthur, Cornwall, and Mrs. H. C. McIntyre, Port Huron, Mich. The funeral took place yesterday afternoon from the residence of His Worship Mayor Fetterly, Second St., East, to Woodlawn Cemetery, and the esteem in which the deceased was held was shown by the large number of old friends who followed the remains. The service was conducted by Rev. Dr. Harkness, the late Mr. Craig having been a member of Knox Church for many years. The pall-bearers were Messrs. P. E. Campbell, Wm. Pollock, James Gardner, Archibald Adams, Mark Hermiston and Chas. Rees. Among the relatives and friends present from out of town were Mr. and Mrs. R. J. Johnston, Miss Mary Ferguson and Mr. Peter Grant, of Lancaster; Mr. and Mrs. Alexander Gordon, Grantley; Mr. Peter Chisholm, Summerstown. Several handsome floral offerings were placed on the casket by sympathizing friends. Mrs. Fetterly has the deepest sympathy of many friends in her bereavement.

The Standard, Cornwall, ON, 8 March 1920

DEATH OF ISAAC MARKELL On the 24th of February, the late Isaac Markell passed away quietly at the home of his son in Rowena [Dundas Co.] after a brief illness, aged 78 years. He was born at Wales, Ont., in 1842 remaining there till 1864, when he enlisted in the U. S. Army, and served eighteen months in that eventful war, coming safely through. Following his discharge, he settled down and in 1872 married Ellen Strader. In 1877 he moved to Rowena, commencing work in the blacksmith shop, and continuing in business till failing strength compelled him to hand the business over to his son. Nevertheless, during the days of his extreme old age, he was ever to be found in his favorite corner in the shop. Mrs. Markell predeceased him in 1909, and from that time he was cared for by his son, Mr. John Markell. He was stricken with pneumonia early in February, and during his last days was tenderly cared for by his son and daughter-in-law. The funeral was held on the 27th of February, in the Methodist Church, Rowena, his pastor officiating. Thus passed out one of the well-known landmarks of Rowena, a man known far and wide as an honest worker, and straight in his dealings with a kindly heart that won him many friends who sincerely mourn his passing. - Morrisburg Leader.

The Standard, Cornwall, ON, 20 October 1921

DEATH OF DAVID B. WOOD One of the oldest residents of this section, Mr. David Benjamin Wood, passed away at his home on Pitt Street on Sunday, at the advanced age of 83 years and 8 months. The late Mr. Wood was born on the South Branch, being a son of the late John Wood. Practically all his life was spent in this section with the exception of a short time spent in Ogdensburg, N.Y., and during the four years he served in the American Civil war from 1862 to 1865, having enlisted in Ogdensburg with Company E of the 142nd Regiment of New York Volunteers, later being assigned temporarily to Company 49, 2nd Battalion, V.C.R. His wife who predeceased him twenty-one years ago, was a nurse during the Civil War, both serving under General Grant. The late Mr. Wood was a wheelwright by trade and was in the employ of the late A. P. Ross, ex-M.P.P., for many years, afterwards going into business on his own account. For a period of fifty-three years he turned out work of an A1 calibre in Cornwall, being compelled to give up in December, 1919, when he suffered a stroke of paralysis, and since that time he has been unable to leave his bed. He was tenderly cared for by his daughter-in-law, Mrs. William Wood, who has made her home with him since the death of his wife. His only surviving sister, Miss Catherine Wood, has also resided with him since April last, having disposed of her farm on the South Branch. He was the father of a son and a daughter, both of whom have been dead for many years. One brother survives, Mr. James Wood, of Round Mountain, Nevada. He also leaves six grandchildren - Mrs. Baxter Barnet, of Brooklyn, N.Y.; Mrs. Pat Coughlin, of Winnipeg; Mrs. Earl Atkinson and Miss Irene McKay, of Montreal; Mr. Bert McKay, of Stockton, Cal., and Mr. Rev. McKay, of Boise City, Idaho. The late Mr. Wood was a man of many excellent traits of character and during his long, business career in Cornwall he earned the esteem of a wide circle of acquaintances, who cherished his friendship very deeply. His passing is sincerely regretted, and the sympathy of the community goes out to the bereaved relatives. The funeral took place on Tuesday morning to St. Columban's Church and cemetery, the Requiem Mass being celebrated by Rev. Father McRae, assisted by Rev. Father Cameron. The pall-bearers were Messrs. D. Monroe, E. O'Callaghan, Wm. Whalen, Hugh Cumming, S. Gove (Aultsville) and Duncan Grant.

The Standard, Cornwall, ON, 4 May 1900

[DEATH OF MRS. DAVID B. WOOD] The many friends of the family were shocked to learn that Mrs. D. B. Wood had passed away rather suddenly on Sunday evening last. The deceased had been ailing for some time, but her demise was unexpected. Heart failure was the direct cause of death. Her maiden name was Ada L. McPherson, and she was a daughter of the late Alex. McPherson, being born at Glen Robertson, Glengarry County. She was 57 years of age. Her mother, Mrs. McPherson, is still alive, being a resident of Mattawachan, near Pembroke, Ont. Mr. and Mrs. Wood have resided in Cornwall for about 35 years, previous to which time Mr. Wood served in the American Civil War, while Mrs. Wood held a position for a period of five years in the U. S. Treasury under General F. E. Spinner. During her residence in Cornwall she made many warm friends, whose heartfelt sympathy is extended to the bereaved husband and only son, Mr. Wm. Wood, of New York City. The latter could not reach Cornwall in time for the funeral, but arrived here on Tuesday evening. The funeral took place on Tuesday afternoon from her husband's residence, Fourth Street, East, to Woodlawn cemetery and was largely attended. Among those present was Mr. A. L. McKay, of Alexandria, son-in-law of the deceased. The services were conducted by Rev. Dr. McNish. The pall-bearers were Messrs. David Black, Samuel Alguire, David Silmser, D. J. Gillies, Duncan Grant and Robt. Conroy.

The Standard, Cornwall, ON, March 13, 1924

DEATH OF MR. NELSON BERO We announce with regret the death of an old and highly esteemed resident of Cornwall, Mr. Nelson Bero, which occurred on Saturday last. He had reached the age of eighty-two years and ten months and had been confined to his bed for two years and five months following a stroke of paralysis. The deceased was born in Mille Roches. He was one of the veterans of the American War. He is survived by his wife and two daughters, Mrs. Harold Doyle, of Niagara Falls, N.Y.; and Mrs. Wilfrid Vittie [or Vittle], of Cornwall. A son, Arthur Bero, who was a member of the staff of the Cornwall Standard, served with the Canadian Contingent in the Great War and gave his life in the cause, being killed in action. The late Mr. Bero was a man of kindly disposition and was held in warm regard by a wide circle of friends. He will be greatly missed by his wife and children and all who knew him. The funeral took place on Monday morning from his late residence, 520 Pitt Street, to St. Columban's Church and vault, the Requiem Mass being celebrated by the Rev. A. L. Cameron. The pall-bearers were Messrs. William Brebant, Lawrence Pottery, William Pottery, Franklin Tyo, William Lalonde and Wilfrid Vittie [or Vittle]. Beautiful flowers were placed on the casket, including a wreath, spray and cut flowers from his wife and children. The deepest sympathy is extended to the bereaved family.

The Standard, Cornwall, ON, March 13, 1912

THE LATE GEORGE CROSS[Included a photograph of Mr. Cross.] On Tuesday, Feb. 27th, there passed away one of Aultsville's highly respected citizens, Mr. George Cross, in his 75th year. Mr. Cross was born in Greenock, Scotland, May 27th, 1837, and came to this country with his parents in the year 1838. They settled on Upper Longue Sault, or Baxter's Island, which is now called Croil's Island, N.Y., and there the deceased spent his boyhood days. His mother was a distant relative of Robert Burns, the poet. On Oct. 22nd, 1861, at the beginning of the civil war, he enlisted under Captain Levi Miller, of Louisville, N.Y., in Company K, 92nd Regiment, New York Volunteer Infantry, and he was in active service for over three years. During this time he was in many famous battles, some of which were the battle of the Wilderness, Va., May 5-7, 1864, when 20,000 men were killed; battle of Spottsylvania, Va., May 11-19, 1864, 15,000 men killed, under command of General Grant; also the battle of Chancelersville [sic], Va., where 15,000 were killed, and the battle of Fair Oaks, Va., 10,000 killed, under command of General Hooker. Mr. Cross was wounded once, and contracted fever and ague while in the service. He was raised to the rank of corporal and was selected as one of the sharpshooters. At the close of the war, after receiving his honorable discharge, he returned home and decided to engage in farming, a vocation in which he was very successful. In the year 1884 he moved his family to Canada and became a British subject by naturalization, June 13th, 1890. In 1895, he moved to the village of Aultsville, where he spent the remainder of his life. Mr. Cross had not been feeling well for some time past, but was not taken seriously ill until January 6th, when all at once there seemed to come a general break-down to the system. He had the services of a trained nurse and the best medical skill during his illness, but all seemed in vain. He gradually grew weaker and at last yielded to the Higher Power that doeth all things well, and he fell into his last long sleep only to awake on the Glorious Resurrection morning. He was thoroughly prepared and dully [sic] resigned to leave this mortal realm. The funeral on Thursday, Feb. 29th, from his late residence to the Presbyterian Church, was largely attended, the church being filled, as a silent tribute of esteem. The sermon was preached by the Rev. N. A. MacLeod, of the First Presbyterian Church, Brockville, who took for his text Deuteronomy 32, verse 29; "O, that they were wise, that they understood this, that would consider their latter end." At the request of the deceased, a portion from one of the books from his study, entitled "The New Creation," was read by the Rev. N. A. MacLeod at the close of his sermon, which was a brief statement of the glorious hopes which animated his life. Rev. N. MacLaren, of Woodlands, assisted in the funeral service and recited a few verses, which expressed the kindly sentiments of the members of the Massena Post of the Grand Army of the Republic towards the deceased. The hymns for the occasion were carefully selected by the children. The selection entitled "Saved by Grace," sung by Messrs. C. S. Ault, A. F. Nash and John S. Morgan, was very solemn and suitable for the occasion. The G. A. burial service was conducted with the grand honors and in a very solemn and deeply impressive manner by a few of the deceased's old comrades and veterans of the civil war, of the Massena Post, of which the deceased was a member viz., Messrs. Amos Ormesberry, Massena, N.Y.; Benjamin Nichols and Orren Strait, Louisville Landing, N.Y.; Joseph Stubbs, Farran's Point, who also acted as pall-bearers, together with Messrs. I. B. Dafoe, Aultsville, and Wm. Vallance, Louisville Landing, N.Y. The deceased leaves to mourn the loss of a kind husband and loving father, his wife, five sons, and two daughters - George Cross, jr., Detroit, Mich.; Mrs. A. R. Croil, Jackson, Mich.; Mrs. (Dr.) E. L. Brown, James Cross, W. B. Cross, Thorold Cross and John Cross, of Aultsville. On the casket were three beautiful floral tributes - a wreath of white roses, lilies, and amilax, a crescent of white roses, lilies and hyacinths, and a cross of hyacinths. The casket was draped with the flag of the Grand Army of the Republic (the Stars and Stripes.) The remains were deposited in the vault at Morrisburg to await interment.

The Standard, Cornwall, ON, March 29, 1912

A VETERAN GONE Mr. Louis J. Leland, of Wales, Ont., one of the oldest and best known residents of this section of the country, died on Monday, March 25th. The funeral service was held in the Church of Our Lady of Grace, Dickinson's Landing, and was attended by a very large number of relatives and friends. The pall-bearers were Messrs. James Connolly, A. Leblanc, Joseph Stubbs, W. J. Ransom, Timothy Shields and John Cass. The late Mr. Leland was born at Morrisburg on June 30th, 1832. He had been a resident of Wales for upwards of twenty years. During his long life he had many experiences of a very interesting nature, and being the possessor of a very remarkable memory, he would converse about things of 60 or 70 years ago with an accuracy and correctness of detail that made his conversations both instructive and interesting. In his younger days, before the building of railways in Canada, he had many thrilling adventures as a driver on the old stage coach line between Prescott and Ottawa. Later he enlisted as a private in Company F, of the 44th Regiment, New York Volunteer Infantry and fought all throughout the American Civil War of 1861-1865. He served with such distinction that he was soon promoted to the rank of 1st Lieutenant in Company F., of the 176th Regiment. In this war, Mr. Leland received many wounds, the scars of which he carried to the grave, and for which he drew an annual pension from the United States Government. After the war ended, he travelled extensively in Europe, and there were few towns and cities in England, Scotland and Belgium with which he was not familiar. In politics Mr. Leland was a staunch Liberal and in religion a consistent member of the Roman Catholic Church. He was a just and upright man, honest and sober and industrious, and a highly respected member of the community. He leaves to mourn his loss a widow and eight children, three sons and five daughters - William H.. James A. and Joseph B., of Chicago; Mrs. Prunner, of Wales; Mrs. McCloskey, of Chicago, and the Misses Stella, Grace, and Lily, of Wales. Mrs. Leland and family have the sincere sympathy of their many friends in their sore bereavement. Entry from the Register of St. John's Presbyterian Church, Cornwall, ON, November, 1862 Burial No. 11 John Thomson, son of William Thomson (deceased) and Helen C., his wife, residing in the Twp. of Cornwall, died in hospital at Alexandria, U. S., the 13th November, a soldier in the Federal Army, aged 20 years.

The Standard, Cornwall, ON, 22 March 1912

DEATH OF LOUIS O. GIBBS The death of a respected resident of this town, Mr. Louis O. [Olando] Gibbs, occurred on Friday last, at the home of his daughter on York Street. The deceased who was in his 83rd year, was born at Russell, N.Y., being a son of Nathaniel Gibbs. He is survived by his wife, one son, Mr. James Gibbs, of Lancaster, Ont., and two daughters, Miss Cora Gibbs, of Rochester, N.Y., and Mrs. Wm. Stickler, of this town. The late Mr. Gibbs was a veteran of the civil war in the United States. He enlisted on Sept. 2nd, 1864, and served three years under Edwin Goodrich, Company D., 9th Regiment of Cavalry, New York Veteran Volunteers. He was in many battles, including the Battle of Cedar Creek and the Shenandoah Valley and the Opequon. After receiving his honorable discharge, he returned home and spent some time in farming. He then decided to move to Lancaster, Ontario, and there spent most of his remaining days until a few years ago when he and his family moved to Cornwall. He was in poor health for some time, but was not seriously ill until a few weeks ago. He was a kind husband and loving father and will be greatly missed in the home circle. The funeral took place on Sunday morning, the remains being taken to St. Andrew's Cemetery, Lancaster, for interment. The service at the house was conducted by Rev. Dr. Harkness, and at the grave by Rev. J. U. Tanner, of Lancaster. The pall-bearers were Messrs. Peter Fisher, Malcolm Cameron, Christopher McRae, Louis Simser, Albert Carl, J. J. F. Poapst, at Cornwall, and Messrs. Stuart and David Rayside, R. Nicholson, Andrew Fraser, D. McGillivray and E. McDonald, at Lancaster.

The Freeholder, Cornwall, ON, 21 February 1908

IVORY TEMPLE Ivory Temple, proprietor of the Ontario House at Canifton, near Belleville, died on Sunday as a result of a stroke of paralysis. He was 64 years of age and was a native of the Eastern States. He served throughout the civil war in a Maine Infantry regiment. He came to Cornwall about 30 years ago and was for 15 years foreman of the weaving department of the Stormont Mill. About a dozen years ago, he left here for Montreal and for a time travelled around the country with a merry-go-round. He was married to a daughter of the late Louis Garipey [sic] of Cornwall, who survives him with three children.

Ivory Temple, s/o Josiah Temple & Harriett Curtis, married Clarinda Gariepy, at St. Columban's RC Church on 14 Nov 1878. He is buried in St. Columban's Cemetery, Cornwall, ON. The tombstone indicates that he was born March 1, 1848 and was in "Co. D, 2nd Maine Cavalry". (Thanks to Ransom Ledoux of Cornwall for pointing out this vet.)

The Freeholder, Cornwall, ON, 19 February 1904

On Saturday, Feb. 13, at 4.40 a.m., there passed away one of Aultsville's most popular and respected citizens, William Henry Beach, in his 62nd year. Mr. Beach was born at Stockholm, N.Y., on April 9, 1842, living during his boyhood days in the vicinity of Buckton, N.Y. At the beginning of the civil war he enlisted in Co. D, 13th Regiment, New York Volunteer Cavalry, under Capt. Birdsall, on May 22, 1863. He was raised to the rank of Corporal, but owing to illness received his honorable discharge at the Convalescent Camp in Virginia, on Oct. 13, 1863. On Nov. 9, 1865, he was married to Mary A. Parker, also of Stockholm, N.Y. They moved to Aultsville, Ont., on Nov. 1, 1871, and Mr. Beach became a British subject by naturalization on Dec. 22, 1886. Mr. Beach at first engaged in the lamb and cattle business and later in the egg and poultry trade in a wholesale way. This was followed by the machinery business, he being the local agent for the Massey Harris Co., of Toronto at the time of his death. For 33 years he has been dealing with the farmers in this section, and there were few indeed who did not know him. On Dec. 1, 1890, he became a member of Osnabruck Lodge, No. 304, A.O.U.W., at Dickinson's Landing, and when the Aultsville Lodge, No. 351, was instituted he transferred on May 25, 1891, to it. His death is the first in the ranks of the Aultsville lodge since its formation 13 years ago. Thus his life seems to have been composed largely of No. 13. He belonged to the 13th Regiment; was discharged on Oct. 13; belonged to the Aultsville Lodge 13 years; died on Feb. 13; was married 39 years (13 x 3). Mr. Beach was first taken ill on Sunday, Jan. 31, and never left his bed. Medical skill and good nursing were in vain, although at various times during his sickness hopes were entertained for his recovery because of his remarkably strong constitution but at last they all yielded to the higher power and he fell into his last long sleep without a struggle. He was delirious throughout his illness, but was able to recognize his wife and children, brothers and sisters, who hastened from near and far to his bed side. The funeral on Monday was largely attended. In spite of the bad roads, and stormy weather, the church was filled to overflowing, as a silent tribute of the regard in which he was held. The sermon was preached by Rev. R. McAmmond, who took as his text, II Timothy, IV, 6-7-8. He was assisted by Rev. Mr. Rogers of Iroquois, a former pastor, and Rev. Mr. Waddell of Aultsville. The burial service was conducted in a very impressive manner by the A.O.U.W., who followed the remains of their departed brother in a body. Among those present from a distance were the children: W. F. Beach, Newark, N.J.; Mr. and Mrs. Geo. W. Markell, Raymondville, N.Y.; C. P. Beach, Ridgefield Park, N.J.; Ed. Parker and Wm. Stowell, Fort Covington, N.Y.; Mr. and Mrs. Henry Burroughs, Springfield, Mass. On the casket was a large anchor of lilies and roses, the last tribute of the A.O.U.W. to their departed brother. The remains were deposited in the vault at Morrisburg.

The Freeholder, Cornwall, ON, 27 August 1886

H.W. Weber, United States Consul, Cornwall, left for Potsdam, N.Y., to attend a re-union of the veterans of the 16th New York Corps, of which he was a member.

The Standard, Cornwall, ON, 16 September 1886

A MILITARY FRIEND Mr. H. W. Weber returned Monday evening from participating in the first re-union of the surviving veterans of 16th Regiment, New York State Volunteer Infantry, which took place in Potsdam, N.Y., on Monday and Tuesday, Aug. 31st and Sept. 1. This regiment was formed during the civil war, in the year 1861, and was discharged in 1863. In the two years of its existence, the 16th was engaged in eighteen reconnaisances, skirmishes and battles, and lost 665 men, killed, wounded and missed[sic] in action; 1221 men were enrolled and served some part of the two years the regiment was in the United States service. When mustered out this number was reduced to 281, officers and men; 1221, less 281, gives total loss 940. An historical sketch of the 16th from its organization to its disbandment, by Mr. Wm. W. Thompson, of Albany, N.Y., was placed in the hands of all who were present at the re-union, and one of them is now on our table, the property of Mr. H. W. Weber. Its information is all interesting. Mr. Weber returned greatly gratified with meeting many of his old comrades. "Here," said he, handing our inch in diameter, "that[sic] is the bullet, fired from a Confederate rifle, which nearly caused me the loss of my right limb."

Henry W. Weber established Weber's in Cornwall, and had also been a photographer. He died August 29, 1893.

The Standard, Cornwall, ON - 22 February 1917

DEATH OF BRADFORD HENRY SHERWOOD The death of a well-known and highly esteemed resident of the village of Wales, Mr. Bradford Henry Sherwood, occurred at his home there on Feb. 16th. The deceased was a son of the late Lemuel Bradford Sherwood and was born in the United States. He was in his seventy-eighth year. The late Mr. Sherwood was a veteran of the Civil War, having served for three years in the First Vermont Cavalry. His kindly disposition and christian bearing were distinct characteristics. He was unassuming, thinking little of himself but taking pleasure in doing for his family and friends. His loss is deeply mourned by a loving wife, who so tenderly cared for him, and by his son and daughter, Mr. Wm. A. Sherwood, of Massena, N.Y., and Mrs. W. H. Craig, of Cornwall, Ont. The funeral took place on the 19th instant, from his late residence to the Cemetery at Woodlands, the service being conducted by the Rev. L.E. Gosling, of North Lunenburg, assisted by Rev. James Hastie, of Moulinette. The pall-bearers were Messrs. Fred. Warren, John Morgan, Garrie Wert, Samuel Miller, James Shields and Wall. Stuart. Among the relatives present from a distance were Mr. W. A. Sherwood, Massena; Mrs. W. H. Craig, Cornwall; Mr. and Mrs. F. J. Morgan and son, Reginald, Montreal; Mrs. Wm. Nathan, East Fairfield, Vt.; Mr. and Mrs. George A. Snyder and daughter Edna, Montreal; Mr. and Mrs. S. G. Eaman and family, Osnabruck Centre. The floral offerings were beautiful, including a pillow from his wife; an anchor from Mr. and Mrs. F. G. Morgan and son Reginald; a spray from Mr. G. R. Taggart, American Consul, Cornwall; cut flowers from Mr. and Mrs. S. G. Eaman. Mrs. Sherwood received messages of condolence from several relatives and friends who were unable to be present at the funeral. The sympathy of the community is extended to the bereaved.

1881 census shows Bradford Sherwood as "hotelkeeper" in Wales, Osnabruck Twp., Stormont Co., ON.

The Standard, Cornwall, ON - 02 January 1903

Mr. John Keenan, a highly respected resident of Cornwall, passed away on Sunday last at the advanced age of 79 years. The deceased had been ailing for some time but was able to go about as usual until Saturday last, when he was compelled to take to his bed suffering from pneumonia. Mr. Keenan was born in the County of Antrim, Ireland. He came to America at the age of twenty-two and settled in Malone, N.Y. He learned the woollen business. When the American Civil War broke out, he enlisted in the 98th Regiment of New York State, under Col. Dergy. He was wounded at the battles of Gettysburg and Opernox[sic] Court House. Afterwards he came to Cornwall to take the position of overseer in the finishing department of the Woollen Mill, and has continued to reside here since. He is survived by his wife and two sons and two daughters - Messrs. Robert and William Keenan and Mrs. S. Mellor, of Cornwall, and Mrs. R. Lumb, of Kingston. The funeral took place on Tuesday morning from the residence of his son, Mr. Wm. Keenan, First Street, West, to St. Columban's Church and cemetery, Rev. Father McRae officiating at high mass at the church. The pall-bearers were Messrs. John F. O'Neil, D. McDonald, H. McDonald, F. Lalonde, P. McIntosh and James Denneny. The bereaved relatives have the heartfelt sympathy of the community.

The Freeholder, Cornwall, ON - 29 April 1904

DAVID NICHOLSON After an illness of only six days, David Nicholson succumbed to an attack of pneumonia at his residence Third Street, on Saturday morning. He was born at Brasher's Falls, N.Y., 59 years ago, being the eldest son of the late Robert Nicholson, miller, who moved to Williamstown half a century ago, and afterwards came to reside in Cornwall. The deceased was a painter of exceptional ability and had many warm friends in town and vicinity. He served in the Federal Army during the American Civil war and was wounded at Cold Harbour, Va., where a piece of a shell took four fingers off his hand. He was granted an honorable discharge and was given an annual pension. He is survived by his wife, one daughter, and two sons. Mr. Nicholson enlisted in Company H, 32nd Wisconsin Infantry on Nov. 23, 1863, and was discharged from the Harvey, Wis., General Hospital on May 25, 1865. The funeral on Monday afternoon to Woodlawn cemetery was largely attended, and quite a number of Civil war veterans were present. The pallbearers were six Grand Army men, who had served under the stars and stripes in the sixties, Wm. Whalen, David Woods, Capt. A. J. Macdonald, A. Plumley, Nelson Bero and M. A. Severance. The service was conducted by Rev. Dr. Ryckman. Contributed by Richard Mattice Albert Nathanial Mattice, son of William Ira Mattice and Rebecca Ronan Mattice and younger brother to my great-grandfather John Wesley Mattice, was born in Russell, ON on Oct 6, 1844. In about 1852, Albert's family moved to a 400 acre farm in Lunenburgh, Stormont Co., a few miles from Osnabruck where Albert's grandfather John A. Mattice had a farm. He crossed over the St. Lawrence to Ogdensburg, NY and joined the Union army's 11th Infantry Company E on July 5, 1862 at age 17. According to the US Dept of the Interior, Albert was wounded in action at Gettysburg on July 2 and died on July 3, 1863 at age 18. He was led into battle by Major-General George Sykes, commander of the V Corps of the Army of the Potomac in the 2nd Brigade of Sidney Burbank, 2nd Division of General Ayres.

The Plattsburg Sentinel, Plattsburg, NY - 15 February 1889

H. W. Weber, of Cornwall, Ont., formerly U. S. Consular Agent at that place, called upon friends in Plattsburgh on Wednesday. Mr. Weber is a veteran of the Rebellion, having served in the 16th Regt.

The Plattsburg Sentinel, Plattsburg, NY - 08 September 1893

H.W. WEBER The Cornwall, Ontario, Standard, of Sept. 1, has the following obituary notice of H. W. Weber, a former resident of Plattsburgh: "We are this week called upon to announce the death of one of the oldest and most highly respected business men of Cornwall, Mr. H. W. Weber, and we perform the duty with feelings of the deepest regret. The deceased has been in poor health for several months, but was not thought to be seriously ill until a couple of weeks ago. Heart failure was the immediate cause of his death. The deceased was in his fifty-first year, having been born in the city of New York in February 1843. He enlisted in the 16th Regiment of New York Volunteers in the early part of 1862, being a mere lad at the time, and immediately entered upon active service. In a very few months he had been promoted to the position of quartermaster's sergeant. His regiment was with McClellan's forces before Richmond and took a prominent part in the battles that occurred there. The young Sergeant was laid low by a gunshot wound in the thigh in one of the engagements that took place on the 26th of June, 1862, when General McClellan was compelled to abandon his position and fall back upon Malvern Hill. He was left on the field of battle and subsequently removed to a Confederate hospital where the ball was extracted from his thigh. After some months he was allowed to return to his old comrades, being exchanged with others under a flag of truce. He soon recovered sufficiently to leave the hospital, but the wound had permanently disabled him and he received an honorable discharge before the close of the year. During his service in the army Mr. Weber kept a careful diary which the writer has had the privilege of reading. It is a very interesting record of the historic events in which the young soldier took part. The wound he received troubled him at intervals throughout his life and shortly before his death he complained of it. Previous to the war the deceased resided in Plattsburgh, N. Y., and was a member of the Horicon Volunteer Fire Brigade of that place. After leaving the army, Mr. Weber settled in Massena, N.Y., where he engaged in the photographing business. A year or two later he removed to Cornwall, but continued the Massena business for some time under the management of a partner. He was married in 1866 to Miss Alice A. Moore, of Plattsburgh, N. Y., who survives him. He prospered in his new home and after few years went into the book and stationery business, being subsequently appointed town ticket agent of the Grand Trunk Railway, a position he filled with great satisfaction to the company up to the time of his death. Notwithstanding his long residence in Canada, Mr. Weber has always maintained his allegiance to the United States and has filled the office of U. S. Consular Agent for a number of years. He was possessed of a genial and sympathetic nature, being ever ready to extend assistance to the needy, and we believe we voice the sentiments of every citizen of Cornwall when we say that his death removes from our midst one of the most universally respected residents of the town. To his more intimate associates his sudden demise is a very painful blow. A son and two daughters are left to share their widowed mother's bereavement. The funeral took place last Friday afternoon and was conducted by Cornwall Lodge, No. 125, A. F. & A. M., of which the deceased was a postmaster and an old and honored member. He was also member of the I. O. F. and A. O. U. W. and the local lodges of those societies attended the funeral in a body. There was a very large attendance of citizens and the cortege was one of the largest seen in Cornwall for many years. The remains were taken to Trinity (Memorial) Church where services was conducted by the Rev. Canon Pettit, Rev. S. Gower Poole and Rev. L. B. Stephenson. The interment took place at Woodlawn Cemetery.

The Freeholder, Cornwall, ON - November 7, 1913

GRANTS CORNERS Richard O'Brian, one of the oldest residents of this section of the county, passed away on Friday night at the age of 87 years. He was the son of the late Edward O'Brian, of Lunenburg. In his younger days, the deceased moved to Potsdam, N.Y., and lived there at the time of the Civil War, joining the 92nd regiment of New York Volunteers under Capt. A. Anderson. The late Mr. O'Brian returned to Canada at the conclusion of hostilities and settled in Osnabruck, where he remained for a few years before going back to Potsdam. Several years since he came to Cornwall and lived with his daughter, afterwards moving to Cornwall Township. Five daughters and one son survive - Mrs. W. Antoine, Ogdensburg, N.Y.; Mrs. John Hart and Charles O'Brien[sic], Cornwall; Mrs. Philip Hart, of the Toll Gate; Mrs. John Hart, of Grants Corners, and Mrs. John Wilson, of Buckton, N.Y. The funeral took place Sunday afternoon from the residence of Wm. Hart, west of the Toll Gate, to the cemetery at Maple Grove. The service was conducted by Rev. S. Gower Poole, rector of the Church of the Good Shepherd. The pallbearers were the one son and five grandsons of deceased.

The Standard, Cornwall, ON - April 23, 1914

DEATH OF FELIX SHAMPINE Mr. Felix Shampine, who has made his home with his step-daughter, Mrs. George B. Bailey, Hickory Street, Beaconsfield, for the past year and a half, passed away on Sunday after being confined to his bed for the last six months with paralysis. Mr. Shampine was born in Three Rivers, Que., and was 71 years of age. He is survived by his wife, who, previous to her marriage to Mr. Shampine, was Mrs. Jas. Clark, and one step-daughter, Mrs. Bailey. The late Mr. Shampine served during the American Civil War, for which he received a pension. He afterwards followed farming at Brasher Iron Works, St. Lawrence County, N.Y., where he resided until November, 1912, when he came to Cornwall to reside with Mrs. Bailey. The funeral took place from Mr. Bailey's residence on Tuesday morning to St. Columban's Church and Cemetery. Requiem High Mass was celebrated by Rev. Corbet McRae. The pall-bearers were Messrs. David McNichol, N. Ault, Joseph Gallinger, Joseph Hessell, Benj. Gallinger and Henry Leroux. The bereaved have the sympathy of many friends.

Back to top

 Home Stormont County Message Board

Email Us!

Stormont County GenWeb Coordinator - Wendy Anctil | updated May 2019

Templates in Time