Clayton W Institute Celebrating 70th

Articles from the Almonte Gazette newspaper;

Clayton Women’s Institute Celebrating 70th

The Clayton Women’s Institute, celebrating its 70th anniversary since its formation in 1913, has restored as an anniversary project two brass coal oil street lamps.

At a ceremony last Wednesday, September 17, the ladies of the institute unveiled two remaining lamps and a plaque commemorating their use.

The lamps were purchased in 1913 for 37 dollars each by the institute to light the streets of the hamlet of Clayton. It was the first project of the women’s institute.

Two more were added the following year in 1914 at a cost of 24 dollars each. For four years the lamps were maintained by a lamp-lighter, caretaker at a yearly salary of 15 dollars. At the outbreak of the First World War in 1917, it was no longer feasible to maintain the lamps, as much of the institute’s budget was donated to the war effort.

The lamps which cornered the intersection near Gemmill’s Store, now hold a place of honour in the Clayton Women’s Institute Hall.

During the afternoon gathering and tea at the hall, Mrs. Eva Rintoul and Mrs. Jean Virgin unveiled the historic plaque while Emily Moulton gave an introduction and a short talk on the history of the lamps.

Directors Award Clayton Community Centre Contract

On February 13, 1978, two bids were submitted for construction of the new Clayton Community Centre. Upon study of the bids, the following report was given to the Directors of Clayton Recreation Association by Ron Butcher and Charles Rath on February 20, 1978.

"Having been appointed to review and evaluate bids for the construction of new Clayton Community Centre, we wish to report that having conducted the review of the following bids: a) Munro and Ladouceur $50,418.68; b) Bernard Nichols $49, 728.83; we find that the following items included in Munro and Ladouceur bid were omitted in Bernard Nichols bid: a) soffits and fascia, estimated $800.00; b) styrofoam on outer walls, estimated $400.00; c) asbestos on outer walls, estimated $600.00; d) strapping for ceiling gyproc, estimated $400.00, which totals $2,200.00. By adding this value of $2,200.00 to Nichols' bid, it makes a price of $51,928.83 against Munro and Ladouceur’s bid of $50,418.68, an advantage of $1,519.15.

In addition, Nichol’s paper is shown as an estimate whereas Munro and Ladouceur state "firm price to build". Accordingly, on the basis of price and value, we recommend that a contract be awarded to Munro and Ladouceur at their bid price." CHARLES RATH and RON BUTCHER.

At a special meeting of the Directors of the Clayton Recreation Association on February 20th the decision was made with unanimous consent to award the contract to Munro and Ladouceur.

The contract will cover the main structure of the new centre. The Association will be awarding other contracts as to heating, wiring, etc. and interested citizens of the community will be adding final touches through contributions and self-help voluntary labour.

Open House and Grand Opening Of Clayton Hall Will Be Held Saturday.

Following several months of work the new and long-awaited Clayton Hall is rapidly nearing completion and most of the work is expected to be finished in time for the grand opening of the hall this week-end.

Open house will be held at the hall from 2 pm until 7 pm this Saturday, October 14th, with the grand opening ceremonies slated for 6 o’clock.

Among those expected to be on hand for the opening are Ramsay Township Reeve, Ronald Robertson; Lanark M.L.A. Honourable Doug Wiseman; Lanark-Renfrew-Carleton M.P. Paul Dick; Mr. Max Keeping of CJOH and Mr. Dave Powell representing Win-Ontario.

The first event to be held in the new hall, a dance scheduled for Saturday evening, is completely sold out. Mac Beattie is providing the music for the initial event.

All area residents are welcome to attend the Open House and inspect the new facilities in the Recreation Field that so many residents of Clayton and area have worked so hard and devoted their time to achieve.

Clayton News

Work on the new hall has been progressing favourably. The Committee wish to thank everyone who has helped with any part of the building to this point. The opening dance is planned for Saturday, October 15, and at this time there will be a ribbon-cutting ceremony in the afternoon. Watch the paper for more details.

Tickets have been printed for the dance in the evening with music supplied by Mac Beattie and are on sale at Gemmill’s General Store. As there are a limited number, please pick them up early to avoid disappointment.

On Friday, September 15th, the last dance will be held in the old hall with plenty of old time music being supplied by local talent as well as some of the bands that made the building of the new hall possible.

Trophies for the walk-a-thon will be presented and only those who have paid their pledge will be eligible to receive a trophy. A light lunch will be served.

The family of Mr. and Mrs. Jim Rintoul held a surprise 30th anniversary party at Bill and Joe Rintoul’s new home in Lavant. An enjoyable evening was spent with family and friends.

St. George’s Church, Clayton Celebrates Its 75th Anniversary

On the week-end of September 25th and 26th, two events marked the celebration of the 75th anniversary of St. George’s Anglican Church, Clayton. On Saturday, a successful auction was held, with Mr. Eldon Ireton, of the congregation, as auctioneer. A fish pond, operated by young people of the congregation under the direction of Mrs. Helen Halpenny, was a busy spot during the auction, as was the bazaar and bake table.

A large selection of home-made pies supplemented by delicious hamburgers, hot dogs and french fries from the McDonald booth kept folk in a happy frame of mind. The proceeds of the auction are to go to a church Restoration Fund.

On Saturday at 11.15 am, the church, beautifully decorated with produce and flowers, was the setting for a combined service of thanksgiving for a bountiful harvest, and for the 75 years during which the church has stood in the community.

Members of the congregation, members of Guthrie United Church, and many visitors and former residents of the community filled the church to capacity. Due to the illness of the Rt. Rev. William Robinson, Bishop of the Diocese of Ottawa, the sermon was preached and the Eucharist celebrated by the Venerable John Salter of Almonte. The Rev. Dr. Gordon Smythe brought greetings from Guthrie United Church and read the Gospel. Lay readers Ross Moulton and Ward Crampton also assisted at the service.

Mrs. Cathy Cochran was the organist. A trumpet voluntary, played by Jean Brown and Karen Wheatly, greatly added to the beauty and worshipfulness of the occasion. The concluding hymn, The Church’s One Foundation, had been sung at the service of dedication in 1901.

Following the service, a luncheon was served in the basement of Guthrie United Church by the ladies of the Anglican Church Women. A beautiful anniversary cake, made for the occasion by Mrs. Helen Halpenny, was cut by Archdeacon Salter, and served to those present.

An historical booklet and commemorative plates were made available, and may still be obtained from members of the congregation.

A warm vote of thanks to the Anniversary Committee under the chairmanship of Mr. Bill Cameron, and to all who contributed in any way to the happy week-end of celebration.