Towns

Texas County Towns

Texhoma

Texhoma, OK

Source: Wikipedia

Texhoma is a town in Texas County, Oklahoma.

Texhoma is located at 3630′16″N 10147′11″W / 36.50444, -101.78639.

As of the census of 2000, there were 935 people, 352 households, and 254 families residing in the town.

In 1899 there were only 13 voters living in Sherman County, and there was no Texhoma. When the Rock Island Railroad built their tracks from Liberal, Kansas to Santa Rosa, New Mexico and reached this point in 1901, the settlement of Texhoma was formed. 

Founded around the Rock Island Railroad laying tracks through the area, much of the town's local economy is from ranching and livestock. Texhoma is a divided city with the Texas-Oklahoma state border separating the town from Texhoma, Texas.
Before No Man's Land was opened for settlers in 1890, the area now known as the Oklahoma Panhandle was sparsely settled ranchland. After the opening some of the land was filed on near the ranch headquarters, mostly by the cowboys, and sold to the ranch as soon as proved up. Expansion of the Rock Island Railroad tracks from Liberal, Kansas to Santa Rosa, New Mexico spurred the settlement's formation.

There were 5 families living here at the time the area was settled. By 1908 there were 1000 people in the town, with Sherman County Texas now having grown to 3,000 and Texas County, Oklahoma to 25,000.

Being able to ship and deliver from a point in either Texas or Oklahoma gave Texhoma a big advantage over neighboring towns and it fast became one of the leading towns in the area. It pulled people and trade from over a 50-mile radius and kept as many as five wagons yards in town very busy. 

By this time the town consisted of 3 lumber yards, 2 dry goods stores, 3 hardware stores. 3 blacksmith shops, 2 hotels, 2 restaurants, a bakery, a confectionery, a meat market, a jewelry store, 2 newspapers, an elevator and feed mill, a bowling alley, and 2 pool halls.

A post office named Loretta was established May 7, 1898, but the name and location was changed to Texhoma in November 12, 1901, as there was another Loretta, Oklahoma. Very few claims were filed on until the railroad was assured. The town grew quickly to a population near 1,000, serving as the closest railroad town to the people who lived as far north and west as present Boise City, and south into the Texas Panhandle to the present town of Gruver.

Taken & Modified From: Panhandle Pioneers
Texhoma Genealogical and Historical Society
Volume 4, 1973

The land was quickly homesteaded and proved to be a rich agricultural area.

Texhoma students are served jointly by two districts: kindergarten through fourth grade students by Texhoma Independent School District in Texas and fifth through twelfth grade students by Texhoma Public Schools in Oklahoma. For much of the 20th century, the divided town was served by a single school district. It is the only city in Oklahoma where graduating students can attend either Oklahoma or Texas Universities and pay in-state tuition for either. 
Texhoma High School is housed in a pair of monolithic dome structures.[4]

Registered Historic Places in the Texhoma area:

Penick House
CCC (Three C) Ranch Headquarters (Osborn Homestead)
Johnson-Cline Archaeological Site

Early History
From: Panhandle Pioneers
Texhoma Genealogical and Historical Society
Volume 1, 1969

INTRODUCTION
No Man's Land was opened for settlers in 1890. Before this some ranches had been established along the creeks and some like the 3C had drilled their own water wells. After the opening some of the land was filed on near the ranch headquarters mostly by the cowboys and sold to the ranch as soon as proved up. A post office named Loretta was established May 7, 1898, but the name and location was changed to Texhoma in Nov. 12, 1901; as there was another Loretta Oklahoma. Very few claims were filed on until the railroad was assured. 

Post offices were established at Rice, Griggs, Sampsel and Eva in 1906; and at Midwell in 1908; soon after Ona, USNA, Baker, Oshuskey, Dilya and Hildago. Most of these had stores; the supplies for which were freighted from Texhoma, since it was the closest railroad town to the people who lived as far north and west as present Boise City, and south into the Texas Panhandle to the present town of Gruver. The Texas land was not homesteaded, but could be bought very cheaply and was not as thickly settled as Oklahoma.

From: Panhandle Pioneers
Texhoma Genealogical and Historical Society
Volume 7, 1981

FOREWORD

In 1901 when the Rock Island Railroad came through Texas County on its way to the west coast it made it possible for settlers to obtain necessary building material and to get their farm products to market. This area was also one of the last that had free land available for homesteading. People came in numbers and soon every quarter section had an occupant. They proved up their claims and some moved on as soon as they could sell. Those who stayed bought the abandoned land, tilled and planted the rich soil and earned for the plains the nick name "Bread Basket of the World."

  In the 1930's the drought, wind erosion, and depression brought even tougher problems for those who loved the Panhandle and wanted to make it their home. These people by hard work, patience, improved farming methods and sheer stubbornness made the Panhandle again produce food for millions. it is to these people, their children and grandchildren, and to the railroads that we dedicate this, the seventh volume of Panhandle Pioneers. You are the backbone of our nation and may you always labor to protect and conserve our God given resources.

The following is taken from a brochure printed in late 1908 or early 1909.

Texhoma has the resources for a stable city. This is apparent at a glance. It is the central point drawing from the five best counties in Texas and Oklahoma. Regardless of all other towns in these counties. It has more than 5,000,000 fertile productive acres at its doors. It has already grown from a 160 acre claim, filed on in November, 1901, to a busy, hustling town or city of 1,000.

All its growth and development has practically come in two years. In 1898 there were not over 100 people for miles and miles around Texhoma. These were cattlemen and cowpunchers. Texhoma was filed on November 1901. The first building was erected in the summer of 1902. The first bank in Texhoma was established in February 1906; the second in the summer of 1907; the third in the fall of 1907.

Texhoma has a public school with about 200 scholars. A new $5,000 building will be built this year.

Texhoma has a Baptist and Presbyterian Churches. A new Methodist Church is to be built this year at a cost of about $3,500.

Texhoma has the Texhoma Milland Elevator Company in operation, about seven weeks. It has shipped an average of a car a week since beginning business. One order for a car of seed came from New Mexico.

Texhoma is soon to get a Texas shipping rate, equivalent to a reduction of 10 cents a hundred on all shipments. Texhoma is well supplied in a retail business way, and also in a professional way.

In a short time cantaloupes and watermelons and everything that grows in the Texhoma country, from forage crops to sugar beets, will become a manufacturing probability. Texhoma is advantageously located for a shipping point, and several large manufacturing plants within a few years is no dream.


About 1900's on Main Street with "Hook's" Hardware Store in left background.


Second and Main Street (looking east)
Probably 1905 as The Farmers State Bank building (left side) is not finished as there are no windows on second floor. 
Building plaque indicates completion and open for business February 1906.


William's half-block of new stores south of Thomason's Department Store, 
during the 1910's, on 2nd Street.

Churches of Texhoma, OK

Church of Christ

3rd and Elm Street
580 423-1442 
Ron Eggleston, Evangelist

Sunday
Bible Study 10:00 am
Worship Service 11:00 am and 5:30 pm
Wednesday
7:00 pm 

Website: Texhoma's Church of Christ

~~~~~~~~

Faith Missionary Church

3rd and North Street 
Eric Buck, Pastor

Sunday
Sunday School 10:00 am 
Worship 11:00 am 
Evening 7:00 pm
Wednesday 
Prayer Meeting 8:00 pm

~~~~~~~~~

First Baptist Church

5th and Main Street 
580 423-7144 
David White, Pastor

Sunday
Sunday School 9:45 am 
Worship Service 10:50 am 
Girls in Action 5:00 pm 
Discipleship-Training 6:00 pm 
Evening Worship 7:00 pm 
Wednesday 
Royal Ambassadors 7:00 pm 
Prayer Meeting 7:00 pm Winter, 
8:00 pm Summer 

Website: www.fbctexhoma.com

~~~~~~~~

First Christian Church

3rd and Pecan Street 
580 423-7277 
Mike Hughes, Pastor 

Sunday Worship 
Sunday School 10:00 am
Worship Service 11:00 am

Website: Texhoma's First Christian Church

~~~~~~~~

Griggs Church of God

Griggs Community 
Wendell Cayton, Pastor

Sunday
Sunday School 10:00 am 
Morning Worship 11:00 am 
Evening 6:00 pm

~~~~~~~~~

James Church of God

16 miles North on Highway 95 
580 545-3456 
Donnie Callaway, Pastor

Sunday
Sunday School 10:00 am 
Morning Worship 11:00 am 
Evening Service 6:00 pm

~~~~~~~~~

Pentecostal Church of God

3rd and Carroll Street 
Larry Brace, Pastor

Sunday 
Sunday School 9:45 am 
Morning Worship 11:00 am 
Evening Service 6:00 pm 
Wednesday 
Evening 7:00 pm

~~~~~~~~~

St. Paul Lutheran Church

2nd and Iowa Street 
580 423-7224 

John Wackler, Vicar 

Sunday 
Sunday School 9:30 am 
Church Service 10:30 am 

Website: St. Paul Lutheran Church

~~~~~~~~

Texhoma Mennonite Church

1st and Moorman Ave. 
Harold Unruh, Leader 

Sunday 
Sunday School 10:00 am 
Worship Service 10:45 am

~~~~~~~~

Texhoma United Methodist Church

3rd and Main Street 
580 423-7231 
Rev. Tomisene Ingram

Sunday
Sunday School 9:45 am 
Worship 10:50 am 
Youth 5:00 pm 

Website: Texhoma United Methodist Church

~~~~~~~~~

Pictures have been taken from 
The Texhoman, Volume 1, 1923,
Published by The Senior Class and Students 
of Texhoma High School, Texhoma Oklahoma.

History of these churches in Texhoma can be found in 
Panhandle Pioneers, Volume 2, 1970, Pages 23-32. 

http://www.texhoma.us/book/church23.htm


Texhoma Churches of 1923


Methodist Church


Church of Christ


Presbyterian Church


First Christian Church


Baptist Church

Texhoma Public Library
http://www.texhoma.us/library.htm

Texhoma's Public Library was a gift to the people of Texhoma from Esther and Jesse B. Riffe and was completed in 1956. The town's first library was housed on the second floor of the old First National Bank building.

Library Hours 
Tuesday
9:00--12:00 am

Thursday
1:00--5:00 pm
7:00--8:30 pm

Saturday
9:00--12:00 am

Texhoma Events, Places, and Times

1901
Rock Island Railroad finished through Texhoma

First train depot
First railroad buildings were a depot & section house east of town, depot moved to 2nd Street in 1908, then to state line influencing shipping rates

1901, Post Office moved from Loretta
6 W & 4 N adjacent to Beaver River, from Texhoma, Mr. T.R. McCain (carried mail from Liberal, KS) & Mrs. Loretta McCain (postmaster) May 7, 1898 until Nov. 12, 1901 transferred to Texhoma,
First postmaster was Joseph T. Williamson, but declined appointment and James A. Robertson became postmaster in March 18, 1902.
Post office in various locations and then addition to the back of old 1st Nat't Bank building
1921, Red Brick Post Office, across from new post office
1961, New post office building

Before 1901, Post offices were near to the present Texhoma
Loretta, Otey, Guy, Rice, Griggs, Verne, Pulis, James.

Nov 22, 1901, Texhoma town site
J.P. Robertson filed for 160 acres of land. In 1903 the town was platted with its streets & alleys.

1902, First families in Texhoma;
J.S. Shorts, Sam McAdams, Jacob Wattenbargers, J.A. Robertson, and C.I. Harwells

Feb. 22, 1906
Bank of Texhoma name changed to First National Bank of Texhoma in 1907,
J.P.R. Sewell, President

June 17, 1907
Farmers State Bank, Ben Davis, President

May 16, 1907
Texas State Bank, J.J. Dimmitt, President,
closed after a few years

1908, Town of Texhoma incorporated (OK)
J.A. Robertson, President

June 1, 1908, The Telephone Co.
Started by I.J. Osborn by fall had 82 subscribers
Telephone office was on the second floor of 1st National Bank building

Completed in 1913, Town water system & water tower
Mr. James hauled water ca. 1907-1911 @ 15/barrel
Mr. Secord hauled water until from ca. 1911-1913

May 27, 1916
City of Texhoma incorporated (TX)
Joe Williams owned the land which now comprises the Texas Side

1921, Curb and gutter downtown

Nov. 21, 1921, Town electricity available
First all electric home 1967 at 316 W Elm St.

1921, City Ice Plant & Steam Cleaners,
Ed Roland Manager
Now the TPWA Office

Aug. 1928 Brick streets started
Four blocks from corners of 2nd and Main Streets and then to the new highway 54 in 1929

1928, Town gas available
1926 gas piped to Texhoma

Street Lights
1927 City paper called it the "White-Way" downtown streetlights
1932-1941 lights were turnoff because of lack of money during the depression

1929-1930, Sewer system available

1921-1975, Old landfill NW of town
Texhoma-Goodwell landfill north of town 1975-19??
Trash service started 198?

1907, First school (OK, TX)
OK, Public school in 3 wooden buildings on current school grounds
TX, backroom of store 1st year and 2nd year a 2-room, wood building

1913, First graduating class
High school on Texas side until 1926
OK/TX one high school from 1927

Which schools districts consolidated with Texhoma School district #61
Forest Flats #22, 1912
Allison (Vance) #29, 1916
Sunnyside (Block) #24, ca. 1930
Union Center #104, 1938
North Fork #119
Lincoln #20 to Pleasant Ridge
Pleasant Ridge #19
Pleasant Hill #27
James #26
Baker #118
South Flats (part of) #171


1910-1935, First brick building
Texhoma's first high school

1913, Brick school on Texas side

1950, First FFA Classes
Instructor, Ulysses Hawkins

Winning teams
1921, First football team
1971, Class B State Football Championship
1992, Girls Basketball, State Championship
1994, Boys Basketball, State Championship
1996, Girls Track, State Championship

Red Devil Logo Origin
Jim Rudd, THS student in 1923-1924 year, previously called "Texhomans"

First high school annual
1923 "Texhoman"
1954 renamed the "Red Devil"

Summer of 1902, First building
J.P. Robertson constructed a general store

1912, First brick residence
B.G. Penick House at 218 N. East St.
Registered historic home in Texhoma


1919, First gas well in area
Allison #1 started tower in 1919 and completed drilling in 12/22/1922

1949, First beauty pageant
Chamber of Commerce and Gamma Theta Sorority

1921 & 1922, city's 30 piece band won 1st at Guymon band contest with Mr. Ray Butterbaugh as its leader
First High School Band 1929, Violet Smith Conductor

Early doctors
Dr. Vermillion, 1905
Dr. Russell, Nov. 22, 1905
Dr. Doughty, 1907
Dr. Hargrove, Mar. 1908
Dr. I.H. LaMar, 1911
Dr. Thurston, Jan. 4, 1913

Early dentists
Dr. Jefferson Ellard (1861-1935)
Dr. C.E. Thomason
Dr. C.K. Havely

Early druggist
Dr. Vermillion
Fred Maus
W.R. Akens

Early Lawers
J.A. Gex ?
J.O. Lynch, 1906-??
Gester H. LaMar 1921-1929
Edgar E. Coon Law Office 1917-1969

Old highway 54
Came into town on the north side of railroad track from the east (Elm Street)

1927, First designated as Highway 54
1932, Highway 54 graveled in 1929, paved in 1941

1951, Highway 95 paved

Early grain elevator businesses
Texhoma Mill & Elevator, 1908
Milland Elevator Co.
B.O. Cater Grain Co.
J.E. Patton Grain Co.
Wadley Grain
Riffe Bros.



Hotels in Texhoma
First hotels were the Commercial Hotel (fire 1922), The Neely
1906 "The Josephine" renamed "The Sanford" then the "Langford", (fire 1920)
1922, Texhoma Hotel renamed Tranquillity Hotel
The West Main Hotel, (fire 1921)
Alamo Hotel
Hickman Hotel and Boarding House

Public Sales and Trade Day
Sales started Oct. 17, 1908, on first & third Saturdays, the sale barn was on north side of tracks, S.P. Kern first auctioneer
May 22, 1947 new sales building south of railroad on highway 54, destroyed by fire on Sunday morning Jan. 13, 1963
Current sales building Sept. 1963

Auto dealer and brands
Ford, Johnson Brothers Garage
Chevrolet, W.W. Johnson
Dodge Agency
July 1913, S.G. Hanes "shipped in a carload (5)" of Buicks

Cemetery established
In Jan. 1908, JB Riffe donated land in Sherman Co. TX, replacing an earlier cemetery on A.N. Edmond's land 1 mile E & N, in Texas CO. OK

Swimming pools
Bell's irrigation pond on Texas side, site of Keppler's house
Jones' county pool, 4 miles N, mile East, 1924-to late 30's
Current town pool 1961

Ambulance service
Dawson-Welch hearse used until ambulance available in 1973
First ambulance cost $17,000.00

Community Center
J.B. Riffe, 1967 donated building to the youth of Texhoma

First churches
First Baptist Church, organized in Sept. 20, 1903
The Church of Christ, 1908
First Christian Church, Aug. 7, 1916
St. Paul Lutheran, 1907 home services
Methodist Church, June 1, 1904
Presbyterian, services in 1908
The James Church of God, spring of 1917

Lumberyards
Galbraith-Foxworth, 1908
Resident Lumber Co. ca. 1914, 2nd St.
Western Lumber Co., South 3rd St.
R.H. Kemp Lumber Co. First & Walnut St.

Wagon yards
Albert Yates Wagon Yard at NE Corner of 3rd and Pecan St.
Texas Wagon Yard
Waugh Livery & Wagon Yard (Billy Vaughn) site of new 1st Nat'l Bank
Phillip Harris, SW of Texhoma Elevator & Mill
Persnal Wagon Yard now site of Resident Lumber Co.


Racetrack
Texhoma Speedway ca. 1916-1917, where sale barn stands (horses, car, and motorcycles)

First library
Second floor of 1st National Bank building
Current building donated by the JB and Esther Riffe in 1956

Movie houses
Pastime Theater (TX side)
Second Strand Theater
Ritz

Chamber of Commerce
Commerce Club 1906
becoming the Chamber of Commerce in 1912

Skating rink
1930's in the now Callaway processing building
?, Basement of Dotson's Dry Goods
Early 1940's in the now Community building
1940's in the American Legion building

Newspaper
The "The Texhoma Times" started in 1903 founded by George Kerr
"The Argus", a weekly paper in 1908-1916 started by Josiah Lee Buckley
"The Argus-Times", Donna & Jerry Ingham editors from 6/14/1979-1984
"The Goodwell-Texhoma News", Orin Piepho editor, beginning 3/11/1993
Last edition ??2004

Early Saloons
Five on Oklahoma side before statehood in 1907
Two on Texas side

First pool hall
In building that had been "Two Jim's Saloon" on 2nd Street north of Hotel

Driest year
1952 - 9.16"
1954 - 9.35"

Worst of the worst dirt storms
April 14, 1935 started ca. 2:00 pm and blew into the night

Drought years
1927
1931-1938
1951-1955

Big snow years
1918-1919
1943-1944
March, 1957
1972-1973

Tornado near
North of town June 7, 1941
No one injured

Last time Beaver River overflowed its banks, or flowed water?
In 1941 flood washed bridge away on Highway 95, steel bridge to the west, and the Goodwell bridge
River ran in 1984

Texhoma's elevation
3487 feet above sea level

Texhoma population
2000 census 1306

Some Texhomans of note
John Fisher, Editor of Harper's Magazine, author
Patience Latting, first woman mayor of OKC, 1971
Leon Fields, OK Representative & State Senator
Wright Langum, Los Alamos scientist
Esther and J.B. Riffe, philanthropist
JPR Sewell, OK State Representative
Frank Sewell, OK State Representative
Marian Settles, missionary in Africa
G.A. Acock, Representative
Charles Fred Krull, Agronomist

J.B. and Esther Riffe
Donated land for:
Texhoma cemetery
Golf course
Wheat bowl stadium
Donated for construction of:
Texas side city hall
Public library
Donated buildings:
Historical Society Museum
Community Center building
Riffe Endowment
Established 1984

Okie Relays
1968-1996??, a 41.2 mile foot race between Texhoma and Elkhart, KS

1953, Fiesta Days started

1996, Vail started office and fed mill

2000, New high school classroom and cafeteria buildings started

2000, 4-lane highway 54 construction began

2001, Centennial Year!

Texhoma Historical & Genealogical Society 
http://www.texhoma.us/book/pictures.htm

Texhoma during the early 1900's

Pictures Donated to Texhoma's Museum
in Memory of Roy W. Weatherly


Looking east at corner of 2nd and Main streets


Looking west at north side of Main Street toward 2nd Street


Looking west at south side of Main Street toward 2nd Street


The Farmers State Bank at 2nd and Main Street.

Back

If you have additional information for this page,
please contact the
Texas County Coordinator.

This page was last updated on
Sunday, 29-Mar-2009 16:15:46 MDT