The Standard-Sentinel
|County Index| OKSpecial|YourTidbits| OutOfState |Clippings|OKDeaths| | OKBits
E Mail

Last Updated 

An OKGenWeb Project
If you have information posted on this site

OKbits File

The Standard-Sentinel, Adair Co. OK

If a submitters name is not listed than the obits were submitted by

Wanda Elliott

Adair County Oklahoma - WWI list of deaths and MIA's

Thursday, January 11, 1917

Word came by wire from Fort Smith, Tuesday afternoon that C.J. CROCKER had passed away at the St. John's Hospital. Mr. CROCKER has been in feeble health for several months, for the past two months, seldom venturing away from his home. Mrs. COOK, his daughter, accompanied him to St. John's Hospital, Fort Smith, last Monday, with the hope that treatment there might prove beneficial, but death came peacefully Tuesday afternoon and released the sufferer from further pain and care. The remains were brought home on the early passenger Wednesday morning. Funeral services were held at the home at 3 p.m., conducted by Rev. J.W. MCDONALD, of Sallisaw. Interment followed at New Hope Cemetery, a large concourse of friends attending. All business houses were closed in Stilwell during the hours of the funeral service and burial. C.J. CROCKER was born at Brattleboro, Vermont, December 9, 1954. In 1871 he was united in marriage to Miss Mina F. MERRIL at Leroy, N.Y., who survives him, together with two daughters, Mrs. A.B. COOK, of Heavener, and Miss Alice CROCKER, of our city. The deceased came with his family to Stilwell in 1903 engaging for several years in an extensive hardware and furniture business, together, with that of undertaker. In the latter profession he ranked high in the state. He has filled most of the positions of honor in the State Funeral Directors Association, being the president of the association for two terms. There never lived a more kindly man than C.J. CROCKER. He has relieved more distress, he has given more sympathy in time of death to the homes of this section than any man in our confines. For his calling brought him to our homes when the death angel came. Mr. CROCKER brought gentle kindness and sympathy that was comforting and a solace to bereaved hearts. All loved him and entrusted to him their dead, with the thought that in truth a true, noble, trusting, loving friend was with them. Our town and community has lost a noble character, a citizen of sterling worth, in the death of C.J. CROCKER.

Bert C. BARNES, of Proctor, committed suicide at his home last Thursday by shooting himself with a Winchester rifle. While many reports are rife concerning the suicide, Mrs. BARNES is alleged to have said that upon coming home Thursday evening he announced his intention of committing suicide and said that "now was a good time." Frightened at her husband's utterances she ran from the house for a neighbor but had only gotten a short distance away when she heard the report of a gun. Returning to the house she looked in the window to see her husband laying on the bed mortally wounded. She hastily summoned assistance but BARNES was dead before anyone reached him.

Miss Nora GREER, sister of G.G. GREER, of our city and who has other relatives in our community, died at her home in Westville Tuesday. She was a refined, estimable lady, with many friends here and at Evansville, her old home. G.G. GREER and family, Mrs. J.M. WHITE, and Mrs. Col STARR attended the funeral at Westville Wednesday afternoon.

Thursday, January 18, 1917

J.O. OWENS, an old citizen of Stilwell, died at his home in Wauhillau, on Tuesday of last week. Mr. OWENS was a blacksmith in our city about sixteen years ago. He made many friends while here and also many in his home in Wauhillau. We join with their many friends in sympathizing with the bereaved sons.

Thursday, January 25, 1917

James, the eight year old son of Mr. and Mrs. MCELDOWNEY died from scarlet fever last Saturday. The little fellow was a bright pupil in our public school and his death came as a sad blow to his father and mother and kindred, and he will be greatly missed by his playmates and teacher at his school. Others of the family are sick with scarlet fever and indeed it is a trying time with them. The family are not without friends in their bereavement and in time of sickness. All hearts go out to them and sympathetic natures are doing a Christian part in their time of great distress.

The sad message was received in Stilwell Tuesday morning of death from heart failure of Judge Percival ADAMS at Commerce the night preceding. Judge ADAMS lived here for several years and had only lately left our town and opened a law office at Commerce. His family here had the household effects at the depot and were intending to leave for Commerce on Wednesday, but the deplorable death shattered all their plans. "Man proposes, but God disposes." Instead of the happy reunion anticipated, the bereft wife and son in anguish awaited here for the sad home-coming of his earthly remains. Indeed, it was sad to all Stilwell, and brought home to all the sureness of the inevitable call that all must answer--death. The remains were brought to Stilwell Wednesday morning accompanied by Mr. Henry E. STEEGMAN, a member of the Development Company Judge ADAMS had formed since locating at Commerce. Mr. STEEGMAN spoke most kindly of the deceased, and of the warm friends he had made and good will and esteem into which Judge ADAMS was fast ingratiating himself in the hearts of the people of his new home. Funeral services were held at the Presbyterian church Wednesday afternoon, conducted by Rev. J.A. MCDONALD, of Sallisaw. Interment followed at the city cemetery. Judge ADAMS was born in Scotland in 1858, and received his education in the university of Glascow. He was admitted to the Scottish bar in April 1882 and soon therafter came to America. He came to Adair County in 1910 and has enjoyed the distinction of being one of the most learned and able to our attorneys. A wife and an adopted son survive him.

Thursday, February 1, 1917

Conductor M.F. LEADAMAN, in charge of Kansas City Southern frieght train No. 41, was instnatly killed, and Engineer COVERT and Fireman AIKEN of passenger No. 1, received minor injuries when the passenger train crashed into the rear end of the freight, a mile and a half north of Stilwell about 10 o'clock Friday night. Mr. LEADAMAN has lived in Heavener for some time. He was a member of the Woodsmen of the World. The remains were taken to the J.F. ROBERTS undertaking parlors, and then to the depot, and then to Heavener, Saturday morning on No.3. Funeral services were conducted at his home and his body was laid to rest in the city cemetery at 3 o'clock Saturday afternoon. Mr. LEADAMAN leaves a wife and two daughters to mourn his death.

February 6, 1919

James MALOY was born in Madison County, Arkansas, July 5, 1890, and breathed his last at his own home, January 29, 1919.
He was 28 years, 6 mo. and 24 days of age, he moved to Oklahoma in company with his parents while but a boy. He has lived in this western country for nearly 20 years, the last 7 years was spent in the vicinity of Bunch. His father and two sisters outstripped him and have gone on to their reward.
There are three brothers and two sisters, with an aged mother and a host of other friends to mourn his loss. He was always very kind of disposition, and made many friends wherever he went. He has been the only support of the home for over two years. He was very thoughtful of the wishes of his aged mother.
The funeral was held at the Red Cross rooms in Bunch and interment was made in the cemetery near by. Rev. O.S. SNELL

John V. MCPHERSON, aged 84 years, died at the home of his son, W.R. MCPHERSON in Stilwell last Thursday.
The deceased came to this section with his parents from Tennessee in early childhood. He served his district in Indian Territory tribal days in various official roles, for several years judge of Goingsnake district.
He was a Confederate soldier, and was very proud that he had three grandsons in the American army in France to bring the German government to submission. One of these grandsons had twice been severly wounded, another is with the army of occupation now in Germany.
The old MCPHERSON home was in the Chalk Bluff neighborhood, where he raised a family of seven children, one only survives him.
Burial was conducted by the Flint Lodge of Masons, of which the deceased was a charter member, at the Chalk Bluff Cemetery Friday afternoon.

June 21, 1919

Jacob WHITE, father of Minter WHITE of our city, died at Lincoln, Ark., last Friday, June 14, 1919. He was well known in this community and in Evansville, where he resided many years, previous to moving to Lincoln two years ago. He was a fine old gentleman and his death is sincerely regretted by a large circle of friends.

Thursday, November 25, 1920

On last Friday, the death angel visited the home of A.M. CAVIN, of near Bunch, and took from it the beloved wife and mother, Mrs. Susie CAVIN. She had been a long and very patient sufferer, and everything that kind and devoted hands could do had ministered to her wants and comfort.
Besides her devoted husband, she leaves an aged father, Uncle Ike SANDERS, who lived with her, and four fine boys, the youngest two years old, a sister, Mrs. Wm FRENCH and many other relatives and friends. She was buried Saturday at Bunch, in the family cemetery, after a touching and appropriate funeral service had been held by Rev. O.S. SNELL.

Last Friday, David BURWELL, aged 75 years, died at his home near Bunch. He leaves an aged companion and many other relatives to mourn his death.
He was buried at the Bunch Cemetery Saturday afternoon, after an impressive funeral service had been conducted at the grave by Rev. O.S. SNELL.


Mrs. Betsy ALBERTY, wife of Uncle Andy ALBERTY, died at their home east of town Friday morning of pneumonia, after an illness of several days. She was buried in the buring ground of her people near Wauhillau Saturday. To the aged and infirm husband we extend sympathy.

Thursday, December 30, 1920

When death called B.G. FLETCHER early Tuesday morning, one of the greatest friends Stilwell ever had was lost to the town. He had long been a public citizen, whose advice and influence was always sought when the desire to win was paramount. He was a member of the Cherokee Senate where he was a master in Cherokee politics. In the formation of Adair county in the constitutional convention he was a strong factor. In the formation of Stilwell, in all the town's ambition, he was easily the leader -- Mr. FLETCHER could enlist more men to follow his leadership in these enterprises than any other man in the county. A monument to his leadership is the courthouse, and all citizens alike agree no other person could have so successfully promoted the enterprise. His last public effort was to supervise the work recently when free labor was given toward grading the grounds.
B.G. FLETCHER was born May 13, 1859. He was married to Miss Harriett GUTHRIE, July 10, 1879. His wife and seven children survive him. For many years he was in the hardware business, only recently disposing of his interest. He is president of the First State Bank. Besides he owns much of the best property in town and extensive farm interests in the south section of the county. He is a member of Flint Lodge No. 11. A.F. & A.M. and a Royal Arch Mason.
His funeral was held from the family home Tuesday afternoon, conducted by Rev. O.S. SNELL, the Methodist pastor, after which the Masonic order took charge of his body and conducted his burial. The floral tributes were the most beautiful we have seen in the town. By public proclamation of the Mayor, all business houses of the town were closed during the funeral hour, and his remains were viewed by hundreds of his friends and neighbors, from over the county, as he lay in state in the family home.
He leaves three brothers, two sisters, wife and children, a host of other relatives and friends everywhere to mourn his death.
Honorary pall bearers were - Morgan MCMICHAEL, Rogers, Ark.; Marshall DOUGLAS, Fayetteville, Ark.; E.A. BEAVERS, Westville; Frank HOWARD, Baron; G.W. BRADLEY, Gene WHITE, Stilwell. Active pall bearers - W.C. LEE, C.W. ADDINGTON, John PATTERSON, Albert CARLSON, Joe M. LYNCH, John A. GOODALL, W.H. MARTIN, J.W. PATTON.

March 3, 1921

Jim RAT died at his home near Lyons, Monday of Tuburculois (i.e.), at the age of 35. His remains were buried at Clear Springs. He leaves a wife and one child.

The Henry STARR funeral at Dewey last Friday has been the occasion of wide comment. The last chapter of his career attracted interest far and near. His funeral procession was reported more than a mile long.

March 10, 1921

Mrs. Vol ENGLISH died last Sunday night at her home at Dutch Mills. She had been in declining health for a number of weeks. She was past the milestone beyond which vitality readily reasserts itself and had arrived at the ripe age of 72, more than the average alotted years. The funeral took place Monday afternoon and it was largely attended. Deceased was widely known and much beloved and esteemed.
She was a Baptist and true to her faith and a potent influence in the social as well as the religious uplifting in the community in which she resided. The funeral was preached in the Baptist church by the pastor, Rev. RICE. A number of Stilwell people were present to witness the final sad rites. Mrs. C.M. ROBINSON who formerly resided here is a daughter of Mrs. ENGLISH. Jim and Ned ENGLISH who are both well known in Stilwell, are her sons. Her death is a loss which is felt far and near. There are hosts of friends whose deep sympathy goes out to the immediate bereaved and sorrowing survivors.

April 7, 1921


Ross BLAKEMORE who left a year ago on account of ill health for New Nexico, returned last fall and soon after his condition changed for the worse with death a result, which occured Friday evening at 7 o'clock March 25 at his home in the vicinity of Chalk Bluff. Burial took place the following day at the Chalk Bluff Cemetery. Deceased is survived by a wife and two children, a boy and a girl, three and one years of age respectively, and a mother, Mrs. Lillie BLAKEMORE of Clovis, New Mexico. Ross was a nephew of our fellow townsman, L.D. BLAKEMORE. The relatives and friends are deeply grateful for the unsparing kindness of friends during Ross' long illness.

April 21, 1921

Mrs. A.B. SIMMONS, who for a number of years lived in DeQueen died at St. Mary's Hospital in Kansas City Friday, April 8. The remains were accompanied by her husband to her former home at Curtis, Ark., for burial.
Mrs. SIMMONS is survived by her husband, the veteran K.C.S. engineer, and by three sons, Clint, Bart, and Mert.
Mr. and Mrs. SIMMONS resided in DeQueen prior to and during the world war. Two of their sons, barely old enough to be accepted, served faithfully in the war, while their father and mother were among the most active war workers at home.
Mrs. SIMMONS was also an active worker in the Methodist church. She was a woman whom all held in the highest esteem, and whose influence for good still lives. There are many in DeQueen who feel a personal loss in her death, and the heartfelt sympathy of all goes out to the bereaved husband and children in their irreparable loss.
Mr. SIMMONS and family have been residents of Stilwell about a year and a half and as they passed through enroute to Curtis with the remains, a number boarded the train and made generous presentations of flowers to express their deeply felt sympathy. The family wish to express their profound gratitude and appreciation through these columns.
Deceased was Lida Eleta WOOD, born in Ohio, May 21, 1867; married to Mr. SIMMONS, April 1, 1886.
Condolences from Rich Mountain Division 569 B. of L.E.
Mr. A.B. SIMMONS and Family: The Officers and Members of Rich Mountain division 569 B. of L.E. send to you this message of love and sympathy, in your recent bereavement in the death of your loving wife and mother. Words fail to comfort in such an hour of sorrow for so great is the grief and loss of such a loved one.

May 12, 1921

Harry P. HAIGLER was instantly killed at Van Buren, Ark., last Wednesday morning at 5:30 by the accidental discharge of a pistol. At the time of the accident his wife, who was Grace CUNNINGHAM, and little child were in Stilwell visiting her parents. Burial with Knights of Phythias honors, was at Fairview Cemetery, Van Buren, beside the mother of the deceased.
Mr. HAIGLER was a volunteer in the world war and served 21 months overseas, part of the time in active service.
Mrs. HAIGLER has a host of friends, who sympathize with her deeply in this hour of such unspeakable sorrow.

June 9, 1921

Charles P. ABLES died at his home Friday, June 3. He was born at Memphis, Tenn., September 21, 1860, age 60 years and 8 months. He had lived here and in the near vicinity for a number of years, where he had many friends, and he was loved by all who knew him.
He had been a member of the Christian church twenty-one years, and he lived a Christian life until death. Funeral services were conducted at New Hope Cemetery Saturday afternoon by Rev. J.J. TOWRY, pastor of the Christian church.
He had been an invalid for more than five months and while death brings saddness to his family and friends, his release from suffering brings sweet rest and God's everlasting home to him.
"And we bow out heart in sorrow, While our tears unbidden flow, Hearts are sad with grief and pity, As we cry 'Why was it so?' While our hearts seem almost breaking, Let us look beyond the tomb, And see our loved one in that home above, Free from all earth's strife and gloom."
Card of Thanks - We wish to thank our many friends for all the kindness and sympathy shown us during the illness and death of our dear husband and fathers; also for the many beautiful floral offerings. May God bless you all. Mrs. C.P. ABLES and family & Mr. and Mrs. Ray BLAKEMORE.

July 7, 1921

Ben HOLMAN, a well known citizen, died Sunday at his home in Fairview, age 69. His funeral was preached by the Rev. Mr. SCHILLINGS at the Baptist church Monday afternoon at 2:30. Interment took place at New Hope. Deceased is survived by a wife and three children, all of whom are grown. The many friends of the sorrowing family deeply sympathize with them in this hour of such deep distress and bereavement.

July 21, 1921

Saturday night at 11 o'clock James A. LEACH, a prominent citizen of Lincoln, Ark., for a number of years president of the Lincoln bank, passed away at his home at that place, age 70 years. Death was produced by kidney affection. (i.e.) Roberts & Reed were called to take charge of the body. Funeral service was held at the Cox Cemetery, near Cane Hill, Sunday afternoon at 3 o'clock, where the remains were interred, the Rev. Mr. PHILLIPS conducting the ceremony, and it was perhaps the largest funeral that has taken place in the vicinity. Deceased was beloved and esteemed, the host of friends witnessing the last sad rites in deference to his memory. He is survived by his wife and six daughters and two sons. Lincoln suffers an irreparable loss and the family have immeasurable sympathy in their deep and infinite bereavement.

July 28, 1921

Millard WAGNON, 26, was shot and killed by Lee FOLSOM last Friday afternoon about 5 o'clock, the killing was the result of a dispute over a school election, it is alleged, and occured 2 1/2 miles northof Westville, in the vicinity of the homes of the two men.
WAGNON was a veteran of the world war and saw overseas service. His remains were buried Sunday afternoon in the private grave yard of the WAGNON family. E.W. ALBERTY of Stilwell attended the funeral and he states that there was a large number of people to pay respect to the dead man's memory.
FOLSOM has been arrested and placed in jail to await the preiminary hearing, which has been set for August 2nd. FOLSOM is a brother of the FOLSOM convicted of slaying of Pat DORE and now serving a life sentence.

Carrie CENTERS, age 12, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Amos CENTERS, died Wednesday morning, July 20, at an early hour at her home, in the Horn vicinity, supposedly of appendicitis. She was ill but a few days. Her remains were brought to New Hope for interment on the afternoon of the day of her death. Rev. Ben HILL preached the funeral. The CENTERS family is well known in Adair county. Many are the friends who extend their profound sympathy to the suddenly bereaved and sorrow-stricken home.

August 4, 1921

George W. SILK died suddenly last Thursday afternoon shortly after 5 o'clock, in his room at the Gordon quarters over the Farmers' Produce Co. Bright's disease caused his death. His little son, Buck, was near at hand and Ted was in the city and was at his father's death-bed nearly in time to witness his last brief struggle. A wife and seven children survive Mr. SILK. The remainder of his family was in Muskogee, where he had been engaged in real estate business during the past two years. He was in Stilwell making preparations to remove his family to this place.
The remains were interred with Masonic honors at New Hope Sunday afternoon at 3 o'clock, funeral was preached by Rev. P.C. IRWIN. Misses Ella and Lila SILK came from Muskogee to attend. Deceased was 51 years of age.
Since the above was written, it was learned that Mrs. SILK has been very seriously ill. The latest report is that her condition shows a slight improvement.
W. GARETT, I.J. BEATY and H.B. CLARK of Sallisaw were here Sunday to attend George SILK's funeral.

Gene WHITE was called to Rogers, Ark., at an early hour Monday, by the sudden death of his father.

August 11, 1921

Mrs. Sallie DODGEN, nee COLLINS, was born in South Carolina, April 22, 1839 and in childhood moved with her parents to Georgia. In 1866 was united in marriage to W.M. DODGEN and to this union seven children were born; six of whom are living. In 1868 moved to Benton county, Arkansas. Died August 4, 1921, at the home of her son, W.B. DODGEN, at Springtown, Ark., and the remains were brought to Stilwell and laid to rest beside those of her husband, the late W.M. DODGEN, in New Hope Cemetery Saturday afternoon.
Mrs. DODGEN had been in failing health for quite a while, but the news of her death was a severe shock to relatives and friends, who were not aware of hte precariousness of her condition.
She had made her home near Springtown for about 35 years, having left there with her husband to come to Stilwell in 1918 when they were forced to abandom housekeeping by the illness of Mr. DODGEN, who died March 7, 1920.
The deceased had passed the 82nd milestone in life - a life rich in service to her home, church and community. She was a devoted wife and mother, believing that woman's greatest sphere of duty is in the home; a consecrated and tireless worker in the church, having been a member of the Methodist church since early childhood; a neighbor in the full measure of the word, and a friend to all in need.
Services were held at the Springtown church Friday night at which time neighbors and friends of years' standing gathered to pay their respects to the memory of one whom they loved and adored.
Rev. C.H. SHERMAN, pastor of the Methodist church at Gentry, Ark., who conducted the service at Springtown, also held the service in this city Saturday afternoon, at which time he again spoke in highest terms of the beautiful traits of character protrayed in the life and work wrought by the deceased. He commended her Christian integrity and spotless life to those who are left to mourn her death and admonished them to place their faith in her God. His remarks were very appropriate and soul cheering, and helped to lift the pall of sadness, and cause many to say in the language of the poet: "Death, where is the sting, grave, where is thy victory?"
Six children, James M. DODGEN, of this city; L.N. DODGEN, of Westville; Mrs. Lizzie GATES of Seminole; W.B. DODGEN, of Springtown, Ark.; Mrs. Vickie FAIR of Centerton, Ark., and 3 grandchildren and 12 great grandchildren are left to mourn her death, yet, who have a rich heritage in the sacred memory of one whose life had so richly blessed all with whom he had come in contact.

Mrs. Emma BRADFORD was born June 24th 1848, in Virginia; was married to Henry Martin BRADFORD in 1866 in Tennessee, and moved to this country and has lived in this immediate vicinity, in what is now Adair county, since the year of 1883.
Grandma BRADFORD was mother of 12 children, namely: Martin BRADFORD, father of six children; Mrs. Susie KETCHER, mother of 13 children; Bennett BRADFORD, who died in infancy; Joe M. BRADFORD, father of nine children; Mrs. Belle WALKINGSTICK, mother of one child; Tom BRADFORD, father of five children; Mrs (?)ettie BARNES, mother of seven children; Sam BRADFORD, father of five children; Mrs. Lillie JONES, mother of five children; Charley BRADFORD, father of seven children; Lulu BOWLES, mother of one child. She was also stepmother of four children: Noah W. BRADFORD, Josephine DAVIDSON, W.H. BRADFORD and J.W. BRADFORD. She was grandmother to 45 children, and great grandmother to 20.
All of her children are living except two, and all present except three. Most all of her grandchildren and great grandchildren are living, and were present at her burial, July 31, in the Reese Cemetery. Mrs. BRADFORD outlived her husband, who was buried in this same cemetery 15 years ago.
Grandma BRADFORD was a member of the Methodist church 40 years and her last days were spent in prayer for her children and grandchildren and relatives and friends to live a Christian life.
She was in bed five and one-half months, and never in any way or at anytime complained, but continued day after day to call on her Savior to come for her, as she was ready.
Several weeks ago she made a request that Brother J.N. VICK preach her funeral, and her request was complied with, and the long Christian life of the deceased was held forth to relatives and friends as a great lesson to all.
Grandma's last advice to relatives and friends was to prepare to meet our God, while there is yet time, that we may all be united in that home in Heaven, not made by hands of man.
The family unite in extending thanks to all who gave assistance, and especial thanks to Brother Vick and Peavine choir.

August 18, 1921

Mrs. Sarah E. MOORE died at Tahlequah last Saturday night at 8:30, at the age of 56 years. The remains were brought to Stilwell for interment. The funeral took place at the residence of J.M. MOORE, preached by the Rev. Mr. SCHILLING.
The deceased was born at Dalton, Georgia, in 1865 and was married to C.J. MOORE in 1890. The family came to Stilwell in 1897 and moved to Tahlequah in 1916. She was the mother of ten children, five of whom together with the husband and seven grandchildren are left to mourn her loss. The body was laid to rest in New Hope.

August 25, 1921

Edward RUTHERFORD, who has lived in Adair county about a year, his home five miles east of Stilwell, died Wednesday morning about 2 o'clock as a result of injuries sustained in an accidental fall from his horse Sunday afternoon. His remains were buried at Chalk Bluff. Deceased was 18 years old.

Thomas DAVIS was drowned near Watts in Ballard Creek early Sunday night, age 26. He was in the Canadian army four years. Canadian officials were wired for instructions on disposition of the body.

September 8, 1921

The remains of Dennis BUTLER arrived from France, Wednesday morning and at 1 o'clock p.m. were buried with military honors under the auspices of the Dennis Butler Post of the American Legion at New Hope.
Rev. P.C. SCHILLING conducted the religious service and delivered a very eloquent memorial address, and was chaplain for the local post of the American Legion at the grave. L.B. DANNENBURG commanded the firing squad and H.O. YOE and Rupert WATERS were buglers.
It was the largest funeral Stilwell has ever witnessed.
Dennis BUTLER fell in June 1918 on the occasion of the memorial held in Stilwell, August 8, the same year, The Standard-Sentinel had the following:
"Private Dennis BUTLER is the first soldier from Adair county to give his life in France on the altar of freedom. He volunteered for service at Fort Smith, Ark., in October 1917. From there went to Little Rock, and then to Camp Robinson, Wisconsin, for training. In January this year he went with the American forces to France, being a private in Battery D, 17th Field Artillery. He was killed in action June 23. Our people remember the dead hero as "Dud" BUTLER, a young man of twenty-three years of age, with splendid appearance, possessing a manly, soldiery appearance even before enlisting in the war. He was a farmer boy, but took pride in his dress, carriage and appearance and attracted attention in all crowds. He is the third son of Mrs. Jennie STARR, with his brother, Ross BUTLER, and sister, Mrs. Charlie BASSINGER living in our city, and a sister Miss Myrtle BUTLER, attending a commercial college in Tulsa. He carried $10,000 soldier's insurance, $6,000 going to his mother and $4,000 going to his sister, Miss Myrtle." Miss Myrtle is now Mrs. ALBERTY.
Mrs. Jennie STARR, Ross BUTLER, Mrs. Grover ALBERTY, Mrs. C.A. BASSINGER and Mrs. Clara WELCH join in expressions of appreciation of the kindness of the Stilwell public.

The four year old boy of Charley HOLLOWAY died Sunday at 6 p.m. The child died of diphtheria. The body was laid to rest Monday afternoon in the family grave yard.

The year old baby of Jess BACON died Saturday morning. It was buried at Wauhillau that afternoon.

September 15, 1921

J.C. LEE, father of W.C. LEE of this city, passed away at 8 o'clock p.m. last Sunday at his home at Pea Ridge, Ark. The sad intelligence was received by W.C. LEE shortly after that hour. Accompanied by Mr. and Mrs. H.T. WILLIAMS and Ralph LEE, he left immediately for his father's home.
J.C. LEE was well known here, having been a visitor on numerous occasions. He won friends wherever he was known. He was a Confederate veteran and a prisoner 18 months of the dark period of the Civil war. There was no more loyal Southerner. He was true to the cause always and he loved every inch of the fair section which was his native land.
He was buried Monday afternoon at Pea Ridge. There were many sorrowing friends to pay their tribute of respect.
Deceased had reached his eightieth year and for the past several months been in declining health. He was married twice, and besides his last wife, six sons and five daughters survive him.

September 22, 1921

Burl BRIGGS, 5 years old, son of Mr. and Mrs. Garve BRIGGS, died at 6:30 p.m. last Saturday of diphtheria. Sunday afternoon interment took place at 2:30 o'clock in New Hope Cemetery. Owing to the cause of death, the funeral was private. Burl was an exceptionally bright and interesting child and his death was a severe blow to the parents. The sympathy of the community is theirs; but it realized that it is not the power of humans to give solace in the hour of so heavy a grief.

December 29, 1921

The community was shocked yesterday by the death of Mrs. Jennie STARR, 52, which occurred at 7 a.m. after an illness of some months with paralysis. The funeral was preached at 2:30 yesterday afternoon by the Rev. HILL at the residence, interment took place at New Hope. Mrs. STARR had a host of friends who deeply sympathize with the bereaved family and realize that the community suffers a loss which cannot be repaired; that a vacancy has been caused which will never be filled.

December 13, 1923

Mrs. Fate TUCKER 70 years old died last Saturday morning at the home of her son Adolphus, in the Horn neighborhood. Her remains were interred in the city cemetery Monday afternoon, the funeral being preached at the residence by the Rev. Leonard STEWART. The Tucker's are one of the most prominent of Adair County families. A wide host of friends sympathize with the deeply bereaved relatives.
Card of Thanks - We wish to thank all who have been so kind and generous through hours of distress and acknowledge, in this humble way our deep gratitude and express as best we can out heartfelt appreciation of their wonderous sympathy in this our hour of great bereavement.

March 5, 1925

How happy are the pious dead, Who die in Christ, their living head.  They enter into perfect rest, With Christ to be forever blest. Their labor done, the blessed Lord, Bestows on them a rich reward. While here below, around their Tomb, Their memory sheds a sweet perfume."
These lines are appropriate to the late Mrs. Sallie MCBRIEN, whose death occured on the first day of March, 1925. She lived to the age of 63 years, being born February 22, 1863, near Evansville, Arkansas, near the place where she died. Mrs. MCBRIEN belonged to one of the oldest and best families in the state.  When a young girl, she was converted and gave her heart to God in the Perpetual covenant of His love. During all the long years of her eventful life she was true to her high profession and adorned her religion in all things. She loved the service of God and the fellowship of His people, and was never absent from public worship when it was possible for her to attend.  She had been in declining health for some time, but no one supposed the end was so near. In spite of Medical treatment and the gentle ministrations of kind friends, the disease steadily ran its course and death at last took her in its long embrace.  
Card of Thanks - We wish sincerely to thank our many friends for their unbounded kindness and sympathy extended in this our hour of sorrow and for their tender experssions in the floral offerings. R. A. MCBRIEN, Mrs. Lottie STARR and family, and Mrs. Cora BELLAMY.

Fred ARNEY was killed Sunday night [March 1] at his home near Chance.  His death is said to have followed a difficulty with a man named Joe BAYES. The full particulars relative to the affray have been unobtainable so far. The sheriff's office is making an investigation.  No arrest has yet been made. Sheriff MCCASLAND is looking for the man said to have committed the crime.  The remains of ARNEY were buried in the neighborhood cemetery Tuesday [March 3] afternoon.
*believe the name to be CARNEY as subsequent articles use that name.

March 26, 1925

Tom TRENTHAM, 60 years old, died Friday afternoon at 1:30 at his home about 2 miles south of the city. Services were held over his remains at the Methodist church Saturday afternoon at 3 o'clock. The Rev. Mr. GAYER, pastor, conducted the ceremonies. Interment was made in New Hope.  
The deceased was well known in the county, one of our most highly esteemed and honored citizens and hosts of friends mourn his loss. The deepest sympathy goes out to the bereaved children.

Rebecca BUNCH, 85, died Thursday, March 19, at the home of Richard STANN in Fair View. The body was taken by motor hurse Friday to South Greasy for interment. Rev. J.B. ACORN officiated. Deceased leaves one son, Noah BUNCH and a daughter, Quatie CHAIR.

April 16, 1925

Mrs. M.K. HUGHES, aged 19, died in this city Sunday morning at 2:30 o'clock. The body was shipped to Henrietta Sunday for interment. Deceased is survived by her husband and an infant boy 12 days old.  
Mr. and Mrs. HUGHES came to Stilwell about a month ago from the Salem neighborhood, southeast of the city, and Mr. HUGHES is engaged in the butcher business here, succeeding Ritter and Daugherty.  
The loss of his wife was a heavy blow to him and he has the sympathy of our good people in his deep sorrow.

Rosco THOMAS, 23 years of age, died last Thursday night in this city after an illness of several days the result, presumably, of being bitten by a puppy several months old and it is believed his affliction was the rabies, as he had several convulsions before death occured. His remains were interred in New Hope Friday afternoon. Rev. YANCEY, conducted funeral service at the home.
His widow is being treated, she having been bitten, as was little W.D. DAUGHERTY, Jr., grandson of L.D. BLAKEMORE, who was given serum to prevent possible tragic consequences of the dog bite. The Daugherty child was successfully treated, and it is thought that Mrs. THOMAS is beyond danger, though the treatment has not yet been completed.
The community deeply sympathizes with the widow, almost a girl, whose cup of sorrow seems cruelly full, only recently having lost her father, and friends and neighbors have ministered every possible kindness, attentive while the husband was suffering with his dread affliction and ever solicitous since the shadow of death cast its appalling darkness over her young life.

April 23, 1925

Mrs. Johnnie CUNNINGHAM died yesterday morning shortly after midnight at her home in this city, after a lingering illness of many long, dreary months. Deceased was 20 years of age.  The remains were interred in New Hope cemetery yesterday afternoon afternoon, services by the Rev. Leonard STEWART at the grave.
Mrs. CUNNINGHAM is survived by her husband, Buel CUNNINGHAM, who has the profound sympathy of many friends.

April 30, 1925

(from Sallisaw, Oklahoma, April 22)
After firing a fatal shot into the body of his wife Jack ANDERSON, widely known Sequoyah county farmer, Wednesday night, turned the Winchester shot gun on himself and sent a charge of bullets crashing through his brain, according to officers. The tragedy occured near their farm home, 10 miles from this place, and the body of Mrs. ANDERSON was found near the doorsteps of the house while ANDERSON's body was found in the front yard, neighbors said late Wednesday night. The gun lay nearby.
Investigation of the case by County Attorney PITCHFORD resulted in the belief that ANDERSON "killed his wife and then took his own life." The couple, both middle-aged were the parents of 12 children, the oldest of which is said to be 17 years. Six of the children however, are step-children of each parent, since ANDERSON and his wife, before their marriage each had six children.  
Asked what he knew about the tragedy Wednesday night, County Attorney PITCHFORD told newspaper representatives, "There isn't anything to it only ANDERSON killed his wife and then killed himself. That's all I know about it."  
No motive for the fatal shooting had been found by officers late Wednesday night. ANDERSON, it is said was a reputable citizen and well-to-do.

May 7, 1925

The death of John NAKEDHEAD, a Cherokee of affluence, and who was well known in this community and in the county, which occured last Saturday afternoon about 4 o'clock at his home near the city, was quite a surprise as well a great shock to many friends.  Deceased had seemed in splendid health and none would have ever thought that death was so near, who had seen him scarcely more than a week before when he was in the city and looked to be perfectly well.  Yet he was a victim of tuberculosis, which brought the precipate end at the age of 39, and widowed the mother and left three children fatherless ere any had realized that so heavy a sorrow lurked and hovered over the doomed home to decend with such curel mercilessness upon it.  
The body of the deceased was laid to rest in Salem cemetery Sunday at 2 o'clock p.m., funeral services being conducted by the Reverends FEATHERS and George LIVERS, Cherokee ministers. Deep sympathy from this and the community in which they reside goes out to the grief stricken family.

May 21, 1925

Lydia CHRISTIE, aged 22 years, died May 14 and was buried Friday, May 15 in the family cemetery near Bidding Springs.

Richard JONES, two year old son of Rev. and Mrs. Sam JONES died Thursday May 14, at their home near Lyons and was buried May 15 at Clear Springs.

May 28, 1925

Mrs. Joseph SUTTON, one of Stilwell's most beloved and highly esteemed women died last Friday night at 8 o'clock.  Following funeral services conducted by the Rev. J.J. TOWRY at the Christian church at 2:30 o'clock Saturday afternoon, her body was laid to rest in New Hope.  Deceased is survived by her husband, Mr. Joseph SUTTON.

June 4, 1925

(Sallisaw, Oklahoma, June 1)
Theodore KECK, 19 years old, Monday night was placed under a charge of murder by Sequoyah County Attorney PITCHFORD following the fatal shooting of Joe BARKE, nearby farmer, early Sunday morning, two miles east of KECK's farm house.
"I flatly refuse to recommend bail for KECK," PITCHFORD said Monday night, "because human life has been valued so cheaply in this county.  Murderers can prepare to a siege in the jails of this county."
KECK, according to his own confession to officers, shot and killed BARKE on the Sallisaw-Vian highway after a heated quarrel between the two men. KECK said he refused to go to the dance and enraged BARKE at the suggestion of turning homeward. When BARKE, angered at the proposal, KECK went to his home, secured a shot gun, returned to the scene of the quarrel and fired a full charge of shot into BARKE's head.  Preliminary hearing was set for Friday morning at Vian, before Justice W.T. MOSS.

June 11, 1925

James COLEMAN, "Uncle Jim," as all his friends called him, about 75 years old died last Friday at his home near Titanic and his remains were laid to rest Saturday in the Freewater cemetery, Rev. VICK and Rev. MATLOCK and J.C. WORLEY speaking of his fine qualities at the grave.  "Uncle Jim" was one of the first white settlers from Georgia and he was widely known and had hosts of friends in the county.  

Robert MCFARLAND died last night at the home of his son-in-law, R. L. UNGER near Elm Grove, from a complication of diseases, at the age of 74. His remains will be put away in the Mountain Top cemetery tomorrow.  Deceased was a well known and highly respected citizen and his death is mourned by a wide circle of friends.

June 18, 1925

Mrs. Thompson CHARLES, 56, died last Friday and her remains were buried Saturday in Fourkiller cemetery.

Whereas, God in his infinite wisdom has seen fit to remove from out midst our beloved Sister Louisa SUTTON.  Whereas, We are once more reminded that the Grim Reaper Death is no respecter of age or person, and that we must all bow in humble submission to God's holy will and that in the death of Sister SUTTON we have lost a true and devoted member of our Order.
Therefore be it, Resolved that the members of Stilwell Chapter extend their heartfelt sympathy to the bereaved husband and point him to the loving Savior and Comforter in this hour of sadness.
Resolved, That a copy of these Resolutions be sent to the husband and a copy be resolved in the minutes of our Order, and a copy be given to each of the two papers.  (Signed) Mrs. ARNOLD, Com. Mrs. TILDEN, Mrs. FINCH

June 25, 1925

J.D. HATFIELD, Jr., 2 years old, son of Mr. and Mrs. John HATFIELD, who live several miles south of the city, died at the home Tuesday morning at 5 o'clock and the body was interred in Zion cemetery Tuesday afternoon.

Frank, 14 year old son of Mr. and Mrs. John DUNCAN met with an accident near the gravel pit Saturday morning when the automobile he was driving overturned, pining him underneath it, which his death followed about midnight of the same day. His father and two others who were occupants of the car suffered only slight injuries as a result of the tragic occurrence.
The remains of the DUNCAN boy were buried at Salem Sunday, the Rev. Leonard STEWART and Rev. Joe FEATHERS conducted services at the Salem church.  The DUNCAN family is well known here and the community deeply sympathizes with the bereaved relatives.  
Card of Thanks - We wish to express our deep gratitude for the many kindnesses tendered the family since the tragic accident which resulted in Frank's untimely death.  (Signed) Mr. and Mrs. John DUNCAN, Lizzie DUNCAN, Fay Ola DUNCAN

Walter, 13 year old son of Mr. and Mrs. W.A. BRANNON, of Bidding Springs, died in a local hospital at 3 o'clock yesterday morning as a result of injuries sustained Monday afternoon when he became entangled in a rope and was dragged some distance by a horse.  The unfortunate boy was tragically bruised and lacerated and there was little hope of his recovery. The accident occurred at the BRANNON home. The body was laid to rest in New Hope yesterday afternoon.

July 9, 1925

Bob BIGBY, aged 20, died of lockjaw about 8 o'clock Sunday morning, his death following an accident that occurred about a week earlier when his foot was painfully wounded with a pitchfork while working in hay.  His remains were buried Monday in Oak Grove, W.B. FRENCH and other relatives were called here by the untimely death.

July 16, 1925

Stilwell was shocked by the news of the sudden death of Mrs. Nina SMALLEY which occured at her home Sunday at Afton.  Mrs. C.P. ABLES was in Siloam and went on a visit to her daughter and found her a corpse upon her arrival. She was almost over come by such an unexpected blow. She knew Mrs. SMALLEY was ill, but her condition was not thought to be serious until just before the precipitate end. Deceased was Miss Nina ABLES, a poplar young lady of this place before her marriage some several years ago and made her home elsewhere, a sister of Mrs. Ray BLAKEMORE.  
The remains were shipped here for burial arriving Monday morning and interment was made in New Hope Monday afternoon at 1:30 o'clock. Services were conducted at the _______(unreadable spot on microfilm)
(Card of Thanks)
We wish to thank the good people of Stilwell for their kind assistance in the burial of our daughter and sister, Mrs. Nina SMALLEY.  
(Signed) Mrs. C.P. ABLES and Mrs. and Mrs. Ray BLAKEMORE

The body of Dr. David Crockett MCCALEB, 62 years old who died in Laredo Thursday night, arrived in Dallas Saturday evening. Funeral services will be held at 4 o'clock Monday afternoon in the chapel of the George A. Brewer Undertaking Company, 2303 Ross Avenue. The Rev. J.A. HORNBECK, retired Presbyterian minister, who baptized Dr. MCCALEB thirty-five years ago at Farmersville, will conduct the services.  Burial will follow in Grove Hill cemetery. Services will be under the auspices of Dallas Lodge No. 760, A.F. & A.M.  
Dr. MCCALEB had been in Laredo for some time, but his family resided at 2818 St. John Street, Dallas.  He was a personal friend of Pancho Villa, the bandit of Northern Mexico prior to Villa's campaign of invasions and terrorism. Dr. MCCALEB was also the personal physician of the late President Francisco MADERO of Mexico some time before he became President of the Republic. In 1907 and 1908 he was vice president of the National Antituberculois Association and active in its councils. He waS a practicing physicial thirty-five years and held eleven diplomas. An early physician in what was then the Indian Territory, where he settled in 1890. In 1903 and 1904 he escorted 112 Choctaw Indians from Mississippi, settling them in the vicinity of Durant, Oklahoma, around Bryan and Marshall counties.  While engaged at Laredo, Dr. MCCALEB was a contributing patron to the Salvation Army _____(unreadable spot on microfilm) forces and arrangements has been made by the Laredo post with the Southwestern headquarters here to have that organization pay its respects at the funeral here Monday. A delegation of Masons from Galena, Oklahoma, will attend the funeral.  
Surviving are his wife, six sons, D.P., D.C., and Roy MCCALEB, of Dallas, T.L. MCCALEB, of Smackover, Arkansas, W.D. MCCALEB, of Laredo, Texas, and C.A. MCCALEB, Alexandria, Louisiana; two daughters, Mrs. Maude BLEVINS and Miss Kittie MCCALEB of Dallas. (Dallas News)
Dr. MCCALEB was a brother of our fellow townsman, W.R. MCCALEB.

Sequoyah county's long list of homicides was made larger on Wednesday of this week, when Abe DOTSON well known farmer and stockman of Marble City was shot and killed five miles northwest of that town by Henry EDWARDS, aged 24, at the home of John WALLACE, farmer.  The killing occured about 9:00 a.m., and within one hour and a half thereafter, Sheriff John E. JOHNSTON and County Attorney Harry PITCHFORD were at the scene making full investigation and securing statements from those who knew any details whatever as to causes surrounding the case.  From the meagre information at hand, it seems that Abe DOTSON, Tom DOTSON, Henry EDWARDS, Merl EDWARDS and John WALLACE live in the same immediate community, and that Wednesday morning Abe DOTSON and the EDWARDS boys went to the WALLACE home to get some barber work done.  
While there a minor quarrel ensued which was thought nothing of and to which no one took any exception. When DOTSON and the EDWARDS boys started away from the house, it is said that DOTSON drew a butcher knife and started after Henry EDWARDS. EDWARDS ran back into the WALLACE house, grabbed a double barreled 12 guage shotgun, turned in the doorway and called to DOTSON to halt. DOTSON took a step forward at the gate and EDWARDS fired, the shot striking DOTSON in the right shoulder and breast. (Sequoyah County Democrat)

Created by
Sharon Burnett-Crawford
Site Hosted by Rootsweb
Copyright 1996 - 2019 OKGenWeb Coordinator