Lancaster, Texas
|County Index| OKSpecial|YourTidbits| OutOfState |Clippings|OKDeaths| | OKBits
E Mail

Last Updated 

An OKGenWeb Project
If you have information posted on this site

OKbits FileTexas and Oklahoma Deaths

The Lancaster Herald
Dallas County, Texas

Contributed by Janet Cook [email protected]

The Lancaster Herald was published weekly at Lancaster, Dallas County, Texas and the issues I'm aware of start Jan 3, 1908 and go through Dec 27, 1967. However, the Herald began well before 1908 but there are no known surviving copies.
The Herald was on an exchange basis with other newspapers, especially those in Texas and Oklahoma.
Lancaster, Texas was established in 1844 and it was named for Lancaster, Kentucky - the hometown of A. "Big A" Bledsoe who laid out Lancaster, TX's town site. In 1908, it was about 20 miles from Dallas. Now it is a suburb of Dallas.

Note: The 1908 Lancaster Herald is the only newspaper microfilm I have and the following is all the information included in this issue.

January 3, 1908

Suicides by Shooting.
Merkel, Tex., Jan. 2.-Tom HOLTON, who resided six miles from here, suicided by shooting.


James Luther DUNBAR, a prominent citizen of Oklahoma City, died at St. Luke's hospital, St. Louis.

January 10, 1908

Asphyxiated by Oil Gas.
Houston, Jan. 9-Asphyxiated by the gas from an oil well and lying dead by the side of the derrick the body of M,C. CLANCY was found at an early hour Wednesday morning in the Humble oil field. Deceased was a nephew of J.S. CULLINAN of the Texas company. Death came supposedly while he was working Tuesday night. The corpse was brought to Houston for interment.


Y.C. RANDOLPH of Palestine, Tex., fell dead.

John TOLAN was found dead in bed near Roanoke, Denton county, Texas.

On Monday Mrs. Lelia BARNES died at Dallas. On Wednesday John BARNES, her father, passed away.

The skull of Tom HOWETH of Holdenville, Okla., was fractured with a poker. The blow was fatal.

While he was switching at Texarkana M.D.BOWLES slipped from an engine footboard and was run over and killed.

At Ballinger, Tex., S.B. CORDER suddenly expired while seated in a buggy. "I am losing my breath," were his last words.

At Greenville, Tex., Mrs. William WHITE of Dallas was found dead in bed at the residence of her son, Frank, whom she was visiting.

E.W. HAWLEY aged about fifty-two years, was shot and killed in the front room of the residence at 183 First Ave., Dallas, Thursday of last week.
Mrs. E.W. BAGGETT was arrested on an affidavit charging murder, and had an examining trial before Justice J. F. WILLIAMS at 9:30 o'clock that night. She was admitted to bail in the sum of $2500 which was given.
Five bullets from a 32-caliber automatic pistol took effect in Hawley's body, one break (sic) the left forearm and the other four entering the upper body in the region of the left shoulder blade, completely piercing the trunk.
Deceased formerly lived at Hutchins, and at one time was quite prominent in politics. Lately he has been a grand jury bailiff, but at the time of his death was not actively engaged in any business. He lived at 112 Alcalda street, and is survived by a widow, six sons and one daughter.
Mrs. Baggett telephoned the sheriff's office immediately after the shooting, and requested an officer to come to her residence. Deputy Sheriff J.J. LEDBETTER, accompanied by Deputies Will CHICK and John CHIESA went to the scene, from whence Deputy Ledbetter escorted Mrs. Baggett to the sheriff's office.
It is said that Mrs. Baggett's mother, who is very deaf, was possibly the only eye witness.
Mrs. Hawley, wife of deceased is a daughter of Mrs. J.V. ADAIR, living just north of town, and has a wide circle of relatives and friends in this community.
The remains were taken to his home, and brought, over land to Lancaster for burial Saturday, under the direction of Odd Fellows and Red Men's lodges, of which orders he was a member, Dr. S. A. McELROY conducting the service. The wife, children, and relatives of the deceased have the sympathy of their friends.
The following data concerning Mr. Hawley was sent to this office:
EPHRAIM WILEY HAWLEY was born near Memphis, Tenn., May 4, 1859; died Jan. 2, 1908. Moved to Texas with his parents at the age of 12 and settled near Ferris. Resided at Ferris until the age of 25 when he was united in marriage with Anna A. Adair, Dec. 25, 1884, by the Rev. MALOY.
He then moved to Lancaster where he resided until 2 years ago, when he moved to Dallas, and was residing at 112 Alcalde street at the time of his death.
He is survived by a widow, six sons, and one daughter; an aged father and three brothers-A.P., J.B. and C.C. Hawley, all of whom reside near Vernon, Texas. Two sisters-Mrs. Mattie SULLIVAN, of Gainsville, Texas, and Mrs. Elizabath BRYANT, of Valley Mills, Texas.

January 17, 1908

Suicides at Depot.
Dallas, Jan. 16.- James COX, supposed to be from El Paso, suicided at the Texas and Pacific depot by shooting himself in the head.

Given Four Years.
Burnet, Tex., Jan. 16.-The jury in the case of Don GRAY, charged with killing Will PHILLIPS, returned a verdict assessing four years in the penitentiary. The case will be appealed to the supreme court. The widow of the deceased has filed suit in this court for $10,000 exemplary damages and $7500 punitive damages against the defendant.

Mrs. John LOTT.
Mrs. John LOTT, of whose serious illness we made mention last week, died at her home Friday afternoon, Jan. 10, 1908, at 2 o'clock. The funeral service was held at the residence Sunday at 2 p.m., conducted by Rev. Jno. S. Davis, of Oak Cliff, assisted by Rev. DAVIS, pastor of the Lancaster Methodist church and a large concourse of friends followed the remains to their last resting place in Edgewood cemetery, where they were laid by her sister, Mrs. Margaret GREEN, who was buried Thursday.
The sisters were never parted in life, and but two days intervened between their deaths.
Abigail Jane PLEW was born in Springfield, Ill., March 18, 1840, and was married to John A. LOTT Oct. 22,, 1861. They came to Texas in '66, located at the present home, and have lived their lives peacefully and quietly.
Two children were born to them, Maggie and John, both of whom are at home to help the aged husband bear his bereavement. A sister, Mrs. John EDWARDS, of Dallas attended the funeral.
The community sympathize with the family in their sorrow.

Card of Thinks
I wish to thank my friends for their kindness and sympathy in my late bereavement. May each one be spared the affliction that has been my lot to bear.
Emma A. GREEN.

Lawton, Okla., Jan. 16.-While on his way to Hobart to stand trial on the charge of killing Charles THOMAS of Alvord, Tex., Dr. F.D. BEAUCHAMP of this city was shot and instantly killed at the Rock Island depot.
John F. THOMAS, a prominent attorney of Lawton, and Will THOMAS of Chico, Tex., brothers of Charles THOMAS, after the shooting, entered a cab and drove to the sheriff's office and delivered themselves into his custody.
BEAUCHAMP leaves a wife and three children. John THOMAS is married and has a small son.
The coroner's inquest was begun Wednesday night.


Absolom G. BOSTWICK, a prominent traveling salesman died at Gainesville, Tex., of pneumonia.

Irene JONES was convicted at Dallas of the murder of Willie SAYLES another negress and given fifteen years.

At his home in Lancaster, Tuesday at 7:30 p.m., Geo. S. HAYDEN, after a lingering illness of consumption and stomach trouble.
He was born in Indiana in 1854, and came to Texas with his parents in 1875; they located near Ferris, where his parents resided until their death. Of a family of ten children, he was the only one to survive his mother whose death occurred last June.
In 1877 he was united in marriage to Miss Clemy ROGERS, who with their two daughters, Mrs. R.L. ELLIS and Miss Georgia HAYDEN survive him. His only other living relative being a nephew Benj. HAYDEN, of Ferris.
Mr. Hayden was patient in his sickness and bore his suffering without complaint. He was a member of the Odd Fellows lodge, the Woodmen and the Knights of Honor.
The funeral was held at the family residence Thursday morning at 10 a.m., conducted by Rev. R.L. COLE, and interment made in Edgewood cemetery, under the direction of the Woodmen and Odd Fellows orders. The Sheriff's Quartette, of Dallas, furnished the music.

Wilmer News
Mr. WILLS, who resides east of Wilmer, died at his home Friday, after a few days illness of pneumonia. He leaves a wife and large family of children. The remains were laid to rest at Trinity cemetery Sunday evening. We extend sympathy to the family. Jan. 13th. Nixie.
[Note: Nixie was the Lancaster Herald correspondent from Wilmer, Texas.]

January 24, 1908

Dr. Angus JOHNSON died at Avalon [Texas], Sunday at noon. He was the oldest active minister in America, and lacked only a few months of being a centenarian. For seventy-two consecutive years he had preached the gospel of Christianity, during the last twenty-two years of which he was in charge of the Presby (sic) churches of Avalon ad neighboring towns. Up to two months ago he was active in his ministerial work. Since he had been taking a rest, required by his advanced age and feeble condition, although he retained charge of the Avalon district churches. Dr. Johnson attended an assembly of the Presbyterian church in Lancaster last year, and took an active part. He was entertained at the home of C.M. LYON.

Negro is Believed to have Taken His Life Accidentally.
Paris, Tex., Jan 23.-Arthur DOUGLASS, a negro servant of Dr. J.H. MILLER, hanged himself.
After dinner Dr. and Mrs. Miller left him in the dining room putting away the dishes. They left their two grandchildren, four and six years old, with him. In a short while the children ran into the house and told their grandparents that the negro was choking himself with a towel. Dr. Miller entered the dining room and found one end of a roller towel around the darkey's neck in a slipknot and the other fastened to a mantel post over the hearth. The negro was leaning over, face down, with his feet and body extended, and his wrists touching the hearth. The body was lifeless.
It is thought Douglass was trying to amuse the children.


By the bursting of a rifle near Cleo, Okla., Melvin MANSFIELD's skull was fractured.

Marion BRADLEY was convicted at Kaufman, Tex., on charge of killing W.A. TUCKER and given fifteen years.

Negro at Dallas Given Extreme Penalty on Murder Conviction.
Dallas, Jan. 23.-Will WHEELER was convicted on charge of having murdered George REED, another negro, and given the death penalty. The case was quickly tried. It commenced Tuesday morning. The jury was given Judge Nelms' charge at 11 o'clock at night. When court convened Wednesday morning the verdict was handed in. Reed was cut and stabbed to death Aug. 8 last.

Girl Expires on Train.
Fort Worth, Jan. 23.-Miss Vera DANIEL, eighteen years old, a student at the normal at Denton, died on a Katy train Wednesday morning twelve miles north of Fort Worth while en route to her home at Wylie. She was accompanied by her parents and a physician. Death was caused by la grippe.

Charged With Having Poisoned C. SAUER and Family.
Cameron, Tex., Jan. 23.-Constable WILLIAMS of Thorndale brought to Cameron Mr. and Mrs. OWENS, who are charged by complaint filed in the justice court at Thorndale with poisoning the SAUER family. They waived examining trial, and Owens' bond was placed at $1,000 and Mrs. Owens' at $3,000. Neither made bond.
Owens is a brother of Mrs. Sauer. Sauer and one of his children died. Mr. and Mrs. Owens ate dinner with the Sauers and both became ill.

Mr. Will PATTON received a long distance telephone message from Waxahachie stating that his cousin, Will PATTON, of that place, had died, and the remains would be shipped to his old home in Tennessee for interment.

January 31, 1908

Howard RATCLIFFE and One Son, However, were Burned to Death.

Hartshorne, Okla., Jan. 30--Howard RATCLIFFE and his young son were burned to death in the destruction by fire of their home here. Ratcliffe saved four of his children and lost his own life when he returned for the fifth, which has (sic) was unable to locate.

Mill Creek, Okla., Jan. 30--Kelton LEWIS, an old-time Indian, who lived on Pennington creek, east of town, was shot to death. He was shot four times.


W.J. HALLCUP of Hugo, Okla., who struck his head on a cement sidewalk, died.

A human skeleton six feet long, believed an Indian, was unearthed four miles from Hurley, Okla.

Near Verden, Okla., Joseph HOSTICK fell from a load of hay sustaining injuries that may cost him his life.

Five Dollars to Each Child.
Olustee, Okla., Jan. 30.--The will of Rev. George H. WICKER, an aged Baptist minister who died here recently, will be shared by eleven children and his widow. To each of the children he bequeathed $5 and to his widow Wicker leaves all of his property.

Plano. [Texas]
Plano has surely been in suffering and sorrow for a month or more, but seems now to be slowly approaching normal conditions. La grippe has been the cruel visitor.
Within the last nine days, Jno. W. MARTIN, Mrs. A.H. LYLES, M.L. and Mrs. GEE, W.M. WEAVER, G.W. BAZZLAY, Jim CRUMS and Bob PARKER, all old settlers here, have died. There are yet some eight old people in town in fairly the twilight of the evening and will soon be hidden by the full darkness of a long night.

February 7, 1908


John GRAY died suddenly at Oklahoma City.

Granny McADAMS, said to be 105 years old, died near Chicota, Lamar county, Texas. She and her late husband went to Lamar county from Missouri in 1870, traveling in a wagon drawn by donkeys.

Mrs. Ellen YOUNG, queen of the gypsy camp near Oklahoma City, is dead aged sixty-nine years. Born in England, she traveled in wagons all her life telling fortunes. She was a member of the Congregational Church.

Austin, Feb. 6.-Adjutant General NEWTON received a telegram from Captain Frank JOHNSON, commander of Company A of the Ranger force, stationed at Weatherford, announcing the killing of Private Homer WHITE at a Texas and pacific depot at Weatherford. WHITE enlisted in the ranger service Dec. 1, 1907, at Colorado City. He was born in Bell county.

Party Inside Building Fires and Negro Outside Drops.

Dallas, Feb. 6.-Pitchford Bros., grocers and butchers of this city, have had their establishment burglarized several times recently. Charles BEST a negro in their employ, who was deputized to sleep in the building, was awakened at 4:30 o'clock Wednesday morning by a crash of a missile in a window. Rising hastily he grabbed a shotgun and opened fire. Another negro, named "Babe" GANO, fell, shot in the abdomen, just outside the window. The ambulance wagon was summoned and GANO placed in it, but he died before reaching the hospital.
The missile which broke the window fell on the counter. It was a bois d'arc block. BEST was not arrested.

February 7, 1908

BRADSHAW's RASH DEED. Fires at His Son-In-Law and Kills His Daughter.
Eldorado, Ark., Feb. 6.-Displeased because of his daughter's recent marriage, Andrew BRADSHAW fired at his son-in-law, Isaiah WOOD, at the Bradshaw home, near Smackover, Ark. At the same instant the girl rushed between the men and was struck by the bullet intended for her husband, receiving a wound which resulted in almost instant death. Bradshaw is under arrest charged with voluntary manslaughter.

February 14, 1908

Whirled to Death.
Fort Worth, Feb. 13.-Fireman HILL
of the power house at Handley of the Northern Texas Traction company was caught in the machinery and whirled to death.

Notice of Filing Final Account
The state of Texas; estate of A.DEAM, deceased: R.P. HENRY, administrator.

To all persons interested in the estate of A. DEAM, deceased:   R.P. HENRY, administrator, has filed in the County Court of Dallas county, final account showing the condition of said estate…..

Found Dying.
Fort Worth, Feb. 13.-James QUINN
aged thirty-five was found dying on a down-town street and all efforts to save his life were unavailing. Examination of his stomach showed traces of poison, but the coroner refused to return a verdict of suicide, declaring he had likely be given knockout drops. A widow and eight children survive him.

Paris, Tex., Feb.13.-Paul PEETERS was fatally stabbed in a difficulty at Hugo with W.N. CAMPBELL, Ed. DOALIN, W.J. LINECY and R.R. FORD. All are held under bond.
PEETERS was en route to his sister's weding (sic) at New Boston.

Will WHITE, the negro charged with the murder of Caliph MILLER, whose case went to trial in the criminal district court [Dallas County] Monday morning, received a sentence of nine years' imprisonment in the state penitentiary on a conviction of murder in the second degree at the hands of the jury Tuesday. The verdict, however, was not brought in until after the court was compelled to retire the jury a second time, and instruct them that under the status of the case and the charge of the court, they could do nothing but return a verdict of guilty, and assess punishment accordingly. Judge NELMS said: "This defendant has pleaded guilty, and the court's charge to you is in direct support of that pleas. You will retire and find a verdict, or else you will be held in contempt of court." The jury returned a verdict in about five minutes.

At his home four miles west of this city [Lancaster, TX] Sunday night, Feb. 9th, J.M. BYRUM, after an illness of several weeks of pneumonia.
Mr. BYRUM was born in Tennessee, but has lived in Dallas county many years. He leaves a wife and nine children, four boys and five girls to mourn his loss.
He was a member of the Masonic and Odd Fellows orders, and a member in good standing of the Methodist church. The funeral was conducted by his pastor, Rev. DAVIS at the church Monday afternoon, and his remains were interred in Edgewood cemetery, under the rites of the Odd Fellows' order.
We join in extending sympathy to his wife and children.

February 21, 1908

Judge J.A. EIDSON Dead.
Hamilton: After an illness that extended over a period of several days past, Judge EIDSON passed away at his home in this city at 3:30 o'clock Tuesday morning. Formerly Associate Justice in the Third Court of Appeals, Judge EIDSON was well known, especially to the legal fraternity of the State, and was regarded generally as one of the most learned jurists in Texas.

Found Her Husband's Body.
Bonham: Hugh J. PIERCE,
a prominent railroad man here, died at his home Tuesday afternoon from wounds inflicted with a shotgun. His wife was in another room and heard the reports of the gun, but as a strong wind was blowing she thought a door had shut. She went to the room shortly afterwards and found her husband's dead body on the floor.
PIERCE had been in the employ of the Texas and Pacific here for eighteen years.

Fever on Quarantined Vessel.
Galveston: T.E. PRITCHARD
, third officer on the steamer Crispin, and a victim of yellow fever, died Tuesday afternoon, making the second victim of the disease since the vessel went into quarantine Sunday. The body was buried in Lakeview Cemetery. Dr. FLORENCE, officer in charge of the State quarantine station, reported that no new cases have developed.
The ship was fumigated thoroughly after the body of PRITCHARD was removed.

Dallas Man Killed in Mississippi.
Hattiesburg, Miss
: As a result of a quarrel over the payment of an account of $2000, J.F. WILDER, a wealthy sawmill operator, President of the Mississippi Pine Association, and one of the leading lumbermen of the South, shot and killed W.L. BOOTH at Epps Station on the Gulf and Ship Island Railroad, twelve miles south of this city. BOOTH was a real estate dealer of Dallas, Texas.

Cyclone Strikes East Texas City Fearful Blow.

Tyler, Tex., Feb. 15.-Just before four o'clock yesterday morning a terrible cyclone hit the eastern part of Tyler in the residence district, tearing houses to kindling and killing four persons. Without warning it seems, the cyclone struck in the southwestern part of the city and quickly traversed the town.
So far only four are known to be dead. One family of a man, wife and infant baby were killed, also one aged negro man.
The path of the cyclone does not exceed one hundred feet and even people living beside its path did not know that anything was wrong until they awoke at daybreak.
The dead are: C.A. FRANCIS, Mrs. Willie FRANCIS, infant baby of Mr. and Mrs. Francis, Mose LEE an aged negro man.
The house in which the FRANCIS family lived was picked up from the blocks bodily and scattered for over a mile in the path of the storm. The body of Mr. FRANCIS was found two hundred yards from the site of the house, and their baby was down in the street some distance from the house.
The cyclone then seemed to lift, passing across to another hill, almost a quarter of a mile distant, striking the house in which the aged negro, LEE was living, and tearing his house into kindling wood. The negro was found in the debris after daybreak. Just across the street it struck the house of Tom JACKSON, a negro, tearing it entirely to pieces, but not hurting any of the occupants.

The funeral of Mrs. Sarah H. MELLEN, who died in San Antonio Wednesday, occurred Thursday. Had she lived sixty days more she would have been one hundred years old.

Henry Clay PENNIMAN of Dallas, aged eighty-five years died Thursday from the effects of la grippe. He was born in Boston, Mass., but had lived in Dallas about thirty years.

A. MULLER, who was in the Spanish-American War, and was fifty-one years old, was found dead in bed in his room in Waco Friday morning. MULLER had no family, and had been living on a pension.

Deputy Sheriff John J. STIRMAN was found in an unconscious condition in the Hill County Court room Thursday evening. He was removed to a room and a physician summoned, but died without recovering consciousness.

S.H. WINN, charged with killing B. VANDERFORD several months ago, was Friday found guilty of manslaughter by a jury in Judge COBB's court at Groesbeck, and given three years in the penitentiary. The jury was out five days and nights.

Pearl ROBERTS, twenty-four years of age, who was torn by a couple of performing lions in the rear room of an electric theater in Texarkana Wednesday afternoon, his left arm being badly crushed and torn, died Friday morning.

William THIELE, aged fifty eight years, an old resident of Austin, was found dead in his carriage house Friday morning. Death was the result of strangulation. The Justice rendered a verdict of self-destruction.

Goes Hunting and is Found Dead.
Hico: Leaving the home of his sister, whom he was visiting, about four miles south of this place, J.D.CARGILL of Austin said he was going to kill a rabbit. He was found about an hour later about 100 yards from the house seated on the gallery of a vacant house with the rifle resting between his knees and a bullet wound in his forehead, from the effects of which he died. His parents at Austin were notified.

W.T. HOARD, Texas Veteran, Dead.
Sherman: W.,T. HOARD
, native of Georgia, veteran of Terry's Rangers, Confederate Army, member of the Baptist Church and for more than fifty years a resident of Texas, died Tuesday evening. His body was taken to Whitewright, where after services conducted at the Baptist Church, the burial took place at the cemetery. In the early days of the gold find in California, with his father he left the old Georgia homestead for the Pacific slope, but upon reaching Missouri he turned to Texas.

Whirled to Death by Belt.
Fort Worth: Fireman HILL
of the powerhouse of the Northern Texas Traction Company was caught in one of the belts of the large machinery at about 10:30 o'clock Wednesday night and killed. The dead fireman was at work at the time of the occurrence, it is said, passing too near one of the belts about the large wheels located in the plant of the company at Handley.

Death has claimed A.F. BROCK, an inmate of the Confederate Home at Austin, at the age of sixty-eight years. He served in Company C, Second Texas Cavalry.

Joseph PERRY, aged seventy years, Waco's oldest real estate man, fell dead Friday morning while kindling a fire.

Charles McCOY of Cleburne, who was snatched from a live wire over a week before, died Sunday morning. He could neither eat nor drink for several days.

J.H. HOLT, a well-known farmer who resided northeast of Denton, was struck by a passenger train near Mingo Sunday afternoon and instantly killed.

Saturday night burglars entered the store of Floyd and Mauldin of Hugo, Ok, and found the proprietor lying in wait for them with a shotgun. Entering, the burglars were told to halt, and, failing to obey, MAULDIN and another man fired with shotguns, fatally wounding Mark ALDRIDGE, a citizen of Hugo.

John DEBOIS of Galveston was shot and killed Saturday afternoon at the house of Emma GROOS. Jean van de ABBIELLER surrendered to the officers. Both men are of French blood and are fishermen by occupation.

William LEWIS of Rio Grande City, ex-District Clerk and a school teacher, fatally shot himself with a 45-caliber pistol. The verdict of the coroner was that he had killed himself by shooting.

Died in Boerne.
News of the death of Miss Lissie JOHNSON, which occurred Saturday, Feb. 15, 1908, at St. Mary's Sanitarium, Boerne, was received by friends in Lancaster Sunday morning. Miss JOHNSON had been a sufferer with consumption for several years, and all that medical aid or climate could do had been done. For several months she was an inmate of Brigg's Sanitarium, Dallas, but was finally taken to Southern Texas with the hopes that the climate might restore her health.
Some time since hope of recovery had been given up, and it was planned to bring her home as soon as spring opened. She was not thought to be in immediate danger, and was able to be up and around her room. She was taken suddenly worse and a message was sent her father, J.W. JOHNSON at Wilmer. Realizing that she would not live until he could reach her, she wrote a farewell letter in her last moments.
Miss JOHSNON was at one time a student at the Lancaster college, and made many friends here, and also had a number of relatives in and near town,.
The funeral service was held Monday afternoon from the Methodist church at Wilmer, and was attended by several from this place.

Wilmer [Texas]
The remains of Miss Lissie JOHNSON were shipped here Sunday from Boerne. She died Saturday morning at 2 o'clock after a two year's illness with tuberculosis. The remains were laid to rest Monday evening in Trinity cemetery.

February 28, 1908

El Paso: The body of Mrs. Katherine KINGSBURY of Tucson, Ariz., was found here Tuesday stretched across the bed of her room in a local hotel, probably four hours or more after death. A letter by the side of the body asked that her husband, who secured a divorce about two months ago, be notified, and that her watch be given to her daughter, Margaret, who is at school in Los Angeles.

Boy's Neck Broken.
Thorndale: Sunday night three boys were going south from here on horseback. They were riding in a run, when the horse of one got ahead of the others. They caught up with the horse the boy was missing. They went back and found the boy dead, with his neck broken. The dead boy and his father were up near Thorndale at work on a new place they had bought. The boy's name is Walter MELDE.

In the passing away of Mrs. Margaret TRIGG, one of the strongest and truest characters hss passed to her reward.
It was the writers privilege to visit Mrs. Trigg frequently in her home and to learn from her of her early life, and it was ever interesting and instructive to be with her. One left her presence with the feeling of having been with one who had passed through the sunshine and shadows of life and had treasured sufficient of the former to lighten and brighten even the darkest days and deepest sorrows. As she sat in her chair on the porch through the long summer days there was a hearty hand clasp and a bright smile for all who came near. Always courteous and very appreciative of every word or act of kindness shown, and ever ready with sympathy for those in sorrow or distress. She numbered as her friends, all who knew her, and was indeed a full ripe sheaf ready for the reaper.
To our mortal mind comes the question, why, when her life had been so full of ministrations to others' comforts, was it necessary for her to suffer in the last few weeks of life as she did?
But in the great beyond there is no questioning, no shadow of doubt, but we know as we are known and all pain is passed away.
Margaret B. PARKER was born at Tarboro, N.C., March 11, 1824; later the family moved to Sumpter county, Ala., where in the year 1840 she was united in marriage to Thos. TRIGG. In 1850 Mr. and Mrs. Trigg moved to Jackson, Miss., and during the war between the states their home was a haven for the homeless and distressed, and Mrs. Trigg ministered to all who needed her motherly care.
Mr. Trigg died in 1865 leaving her with a family of five children, two sons and three daughters. In the fall of 1866 Mrs. Trigg broke up the home in Jackson and came in conveyances across the country to Texas. Many of the old slaves who had refused to leave the estate when they were declared freed, would have been glad to come with their mistress to the new home. But selecting only one, and accompanied by three young men, she made the long and then perilous journey, and located on a farm on Dear Creek, in Ellis county in 1867.
Here she lived and reared her children to men and women. Her life is known to the people of Lancaster and needs no words from us. She was converted and united with the Baptist church in girlhood, and soon after the organization of the First Baptist church of Lancaster she presented her letter and was taken into full fellowship, and through the early days when the members where few and means limited, she was eager to learn of the work of the church and to send messages of encouragement, and among the last messages were assurances of her unchanging love for her brothers and sisters in the church, and for all Christian people.
There are five children surviving: Frank and Edward TRIGG, of Amarillo; Mrs. Bettie JOHNSON, now of Waco; Mrs. Elva CROOM, of Seattle, Wash.; and Mrs. Mattie WHITE, with whom she made her home.
Because of delayed letters and dispatches Mrs. CROOM was not able to come to Lancaster, but the other children were here.
Mrs. Trigg fell and broke her hip the evening of the 27th of January, which was the immediate cause of her death which occurred Thursday morning, Feb. 20, 1908.
The funeral was held at the Baptist church Friday afternoon, conducted by her late pastor, Rev. R.L.COLE, assisted by Rev. J.B. DAVIS, ad the remains were laid to rest in Edgewood cemetery.
She was 84 years, 11 months and 9 days old. The relatives and friends while grieved at the parting are resting in the knowledge that with her all is well.


Her clothing catching fire while her mother was gone from the room, two-year-old Katy LEE was fatally burned at her parents' home near Blue Ridge.

Abraham SHORT, a well-to-do farmer, residing near Oklahoma City, was suddenly seized with an attack on his heart while out hunting and dropped dead.

John GREENLEE, a wealthy stockman and one of the oldest citizens of Marfa, dropped dead Thursday. He leaves a widow and one child, Mrs. MAIN of Delaware, Ohio.

Mrs. Lewis KLAUS of San Antonio fainted and fell into a pile of clothing on which she was working, and smothered to death.

A.G. CHANDLER, aged fifty years, a native of Collin County, and a leading McKinney business man for over twenty-five years, died Friday.

A Mexican by the name of Maximo VALDEZ was killed at Karnes City Saturday night. Another Mexican whose name is Emillio CANNO is now in jail.

Z.E. BEEMBLOSSOM, a well-to-do farmer, formerly employed as a city detective, was shot and killed on the BEEMBLOSSOM farm, near Oklahoma City Tuesday. J.W. WOODSON and his son Robert were made prisoners at the county jail charged with the killing.

Death has claimed G.W. BATY, a Confederate veteran, eighty-one years old, from the Home in Austin. He served throughout the war in Company I. ELMORE's Regiment, MacGRUDER's Division. Two sons survive him.

The Knight of Columbus at Austin have been advised of the accidental death in South Bend, Ind., of Rev. Father SAMON, formerly associated with St. Edwards College, Austin. Father SAMON was struck by a street car.


News is received that John ALORA of Milam County was in a runaway accident in which his neck was broken.

The recent death of "Uncle Dick" GEORGE at Austin removed a populardarky of the old school type. He was ninety-four years of age, and followed Sam HOUSTON through several Indian campaigns, and in his earlier days had guided John H. REAGAN o many a fox hunt.

James JACKSON, a negro who resided in Dallas until a few days ago, was shot in the back and killed Wednesday night at his home near Grange Hall School House, about five miles southeast of Seagoville. Deputy Sheriffs Wake COATES and John CHIESA placed a white man in the county jail.

William WOODS, a negro, aged fifty-six years, died suddenly while sitting in a chair in his room in a cottage near the cement works in West Dallas. He was employed at the works, and appeared to be in excellent health.

Wednesday morning, Feb. 26th Parks, the little three-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Chas. WORLEY, after a short illness of congestion of the stomach.
The funeral was held at the home Thursday afternoon, conducted by Elder H.C. RAWLINS, and the remains were laid to rest in Rawlins cemetery. [Lancaster, TX]
Little Parks was the sunshine of the home and Mr. and Mrs. WORLEY have the sympathy of a host of friends in their great sorrow.

March 6, 1908

Carl JOLLY is dead. He had been manager of the Maypearl telephone exchange for several months, and last week he was called to Davis, Okla., to see his father who was sick. Soon after arriving at Davis he took sick and died within three days. He had contracted smallpox at Maypeaarl, Carl JOLLY was well known here. He was the son of Rev. I.V. JOLLY, pastor of the Presbyterian church here a number of years ago.
-Italy News Herald.

Indian Athlete Expires
Ponca City, Okla., March 5.-Oliver Running-Over-Water, a Ponca Indian and track athlete at Haskel Indian institute, died here of Tuberculosis.

How Little Fellow Got In Water Is Not Known
Bonham, Tex., March 5.-Marcus WATSON
, a year and a half old, fell in the fountain pool on the high school grounds and drowned. Just how the little fellow got into the water, which is only eighteen inches deep, is not known. The mother, Mrs. M.C. WATSON, missed her baby and went in search of him. Finding his little cap on the way to the school building, she went to the circular pool, ten or twelve feet in diameter, and found the child. An alarm was given and all known restoratives were applied, but life was totally extinct.
The parents are some of the best people in town. They are frantic with grief.

Policeman of Bayou City Receives Couple of Bullets in Body.
Houston, March 5.-J.S. SIMPSON
, a policeman, who has been acting for several weeks as day turnkey at the city prison, was shot twice Wednesday at the corner of Travis street and Prairie avenue. He soon died. Mounted Officer J.H. LEE is held. He claims self defense. Three shots were fired. Lee has a wife and four children. Simpson's wife died a few months ago. The men had been close friends.


W.S. MATTHEWS, an Oklahoma City architect, died suddenly.

At Bluejacket, Okla., the year-old child of Edward FAGAN fell into a well and drowned.

Russell HARDING, at one time president of the St.Louis Southwestern Railway of Texas, is dead at New York.

J.C. WOODSON and son, Robert, gave bond in $6,000 each at Oklahoma City to answer charge of killing Z.E. BEEMBLOSSOM.

In Memoriam.
Our little town [Wilmer, Texas] has not for many days past been so completely wrapped in a vale of sorrow as was it on last Saturday morning when the sad news was flashed over the wires from Boerne, telling that Lissie JOHNSON was dead. Although it was expected, when the news came it was like a thunder bolt.
Lissie was 21 years and 11 months old and had spent her entire life in this community. In 1905 she attended school at Bristol, Tenn., coming home at the close of school with all the freshness of the mountain air beaming in her fair young face. Soon after she decided to take a business course in the Dallas Business University and while there her health began to fail; realizing her condition, she gave up her studies and came home. After a few weeks she went to Briggs sanitarium where she remained five months.
For awhile hopes were entertained for the better, but soon these were banished, for the dreadful disease tuberculosis was gradually eating her young life away. It was finally decided to take her to Southern Texas with the hopes that the climate might restore her to health again. But all efforts were fruitless. From day to day it could be ascertained that the tide of life was drifting, drifting.
Friday a message came to her father, J.W. JOHSNON, saying for him to come at once. He left at once, but 'ere he reached her bedside God in his tender mercy had taken her in His arms and relieved her of her suffering.
She begged incessantly that she might live until her father got there, but finally seeing that the end was so near at hand, she, only a few moments before her death wrote the following.
"Dear beloved home folks:
I am about to cross over the river. I'm resigned tp the will of God. All be good and we'll be re-united on the other shore.
I love you all and regret that I could not spend my last hours with you all.
Good bye, good bye, Lissie.
P.S.-You all did all you could-meet me over yonder."

In a letter from the sister that nursed her at the sanitarium, she states that her death was not expected so soon, and that death came as peaceful as a child going to sleep. She was conscious up to within a few moments of the end, telling those around her she was only going home to live with her mamma, who had long since gone before.
It is sad indeed to see one so young cut off from all they hold dear, but we believe that Heaven is made brighter because Lissie is there. Lissie was a gentle, pure, sweet girl, and the idol of her home.
The remains arrived here Sunday morning and lay in state at her home until Monday evening when the funeral service took place at the Methodist church, and the large assembly attested the esteem in which she was held. Rev. J.S. DAVIS conducted the service, after which all that was mortal of Lissie was laid to rest at Trinity cemetery, with beautiful flowers piled high above her dreamless bed. To her aged father, three brothers and two sisters we extend deepest sympathy. "Weep not, for today she is safe in the far away home of the soul.
Feb. 24th

March 13, 1908

Mrs. Fannie LIGON, wife of George LIGON, died Tuesday night, March 3rd at the family home in Red Oak [Texas]. Mrs. Ligon was bout 35 years old and was admired by a large circle of friends.
The interment took place Thursday of last week at the Lisbon cemetery. A large concourse of friends followed the remains to their last resting place.

Abilene [TX?,KS?]: Abilene was very much shocked when the announcement made that Colonel Otto W. STEFFENS, aged sixty years, was dead. Just when the death occurred no one seemed to know. He was attended by a physician about 2 o'clock Tuesday morning, and seemed to be suffering with heart affection, but was resting easily at the time the attending physician left. The family on waking found the dead body on the floor of his private bedroom.

Head of San Antonio Express Dead.
San Antonio: After ten days' illness with erysipelas, Edmund Caleb BONSAL, Vice-President of the Express Publishing Company, died in a hospital here. He had been with the Express for the past three years, being the father of Mrs. Isabel BONSAL GRICE, widow of the late Frank GRICE, owner of the Express. Previous to that time he had been connected with the army in the capacity of chief commissary clerk.


Mrs. Florence E. RUSSELL, aged fifty years, a resident of Dallas, was found dead Friday morning, sitting in the bathroom of her home.

Helen BRUCE, aged three years, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A.E. BRUCE, died at her parents home in Beaumont from tetanus contracted by piercing her foot with a small nail three days before.

Mrs. H.S. BUNTING of Fort Worth was fatally burned Tuesday morning. When she applied a match to a gasoline stove the flames flared up, igniting her clothes, and her face and hands were badly burned.

After exchanging several shots with Constable McCALPIN and Deputy Sheriff Rush HICKMAN Saturday afternoon ten miles northeast of Waxahachie, Willie WILLIAMS, a negro, shot and killed Mary WILLIAMS, a negress, and then killed himself.

Ben SLOAN, aged twenty-two years, was shot and killed Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock by S.D. NORTON, at the salt works, six miles west of Palestine. The shooting was claimed to be accidental.

A mob of fifty men went to the Livingston jail looking for Tom MILES and Jim ADAIR, two negroes charged with killing Gus WILLIAMS at Knox Mill Saturday night. The Sheriff had a tip, and the negroes had been sent to Houston.

Mrs. Cora B. MULHOLLAND was found dead in her bed at her residence in San Antonio Sunday morning, when a servant went to call her to breakfast. Heart disease was the cause. Mrs. MULHOLLAND was principal of a school for girls.

Dave BRIGGS, a Houston and Texas Central engineer, lost his life Wednesday in a freight wreck on the Mexia-Navasota cut-off. He was caught under the engine, which turned over. The dead engineer lived at Ennis.

Killed Himself With Shotgun.
Denison: While Adam HORNBECK and his wife and his wife's mother were eating at noon Thursday at their home three miles north of Denison, they heard the report of a shotgun in another part of the house. They rushed to a room occupied by George MILLER, father of Mrs. HORNBECK, and found him lying on the floor dead. A shotgun was found beside him. Both barrels had been fired. He was seventy years old.

Houston: Mounted Police Officer J. H. LEE shot and fatally wounded his life-long friend, J.S. SIMPSON, police station turnkey, at George VOSS' saloon Wednesday morning at 6:30. Self defense is claimed, although the bartender and other witnesses say SIMPSON was unarmed. A misunderstanding and a row was the cause of the difficulty. Both parties had spent the night at a Mardi Gras ball.

Cecil KENSER, a young man, was found in a dying condition Sunday morning in his bathroom in Dallas, where he resided.

Sheriff Jessie FARRIS of Cuero is making preparations to have the execution of John BROWN, colored, on Friday, in private.

Samuel REPROGEL, aged eighty-five years who fought in the Mexican War under General TAYLOR, died at Oklahoma City Monday.

George MILLER a well known farmer of Denison, died at noon Thursday from the effects of gunshot wounds. He leaves a family.

Fred MEYERS, conducting a printing office in Denison, was found dead in bed Friday morning. He was formerly from Fort Worth.

At her home near Rotan, Fisher county, March 4, 1908, Mrs. Mary CROUCH. Deceased was the daughter of G.W. PRUITT, and a sister of Mrs. G.W. CROUCH who resides two miles east of Lancaster. She leaves a husband, two sons and one daughter and a host of relatives to mourn her loss. She was a kind and loving mother and wife. The remains were laid to rest in the Roby cemetery, March 5th.

March 20, 1908

Woman Makes Awful Accusation Against a Man.
Fannie RITCHIE Asserts That Harry McCUEN Killed a Man at Oklahoma City and Four Other Persons Were Doped and House and Bodies Burned.  

Denison, March 19.-Fannie RITCHIE and Harry McCUEN were arrested hereWednesday after the woman had accused McCUEN of being responsible for the death of five persons at Oklahoma City last August.
Five bodies were found in the ruins of Anne BAILEY's resort, which had been burned. The RITCHIE woman alleges that McCUEN murdered a stranger in the Bailey resort for the purpose of robbery. Three women in the house and one man had been given "knock-out drops" in order that the murder plot might be carried out without interference. A negro porter, she alleges, set fire to the building to destroy blood stains left after the murder. In the fire that destroyed the building Lillian RAYE, Venie WALLACE, Sadie WARD and Walter WARD perished.

Killed by Culvert Collapse.
Fort Worth, March 19.-By the collapse of a cement culvert Andrew BLACKWELL was crushed to death and another negro sustained a broken arm.

Henderson WILLIAMS, a negro, was convicted at Houston on charge of killing Millie SIMPSON, a negress, and given forty years.

At Rockdale, Tex., Alonzo KENNEDY, a negro, was shot to death. B.Y. AYCOCK, president of the negro public school, is charged with the deed.

Robert M. DAVIS, who settled in Rockwall county, Texas, in 1856, died near Rockway. He died Tuesday, and a brother suddenly expired at Ringgold, four days before.

Will WINNIFORD and wife, of Abilene, were called to Hutchins Monday by the death of Mrs. Winniford's brother, Sidney McCAIN.

Death Comes in Bathtub.
Fort Worth, March 19.-Elmer JOHNSON, aged nineteen, was found dead sitting in a bathtub in his apartments in Lennox Flats. His roommate discovered his body. Death was due to heart disease. Relatives live at Waurika, Okla.

At his home near Hutchins Sunday, March 16th, Sidney Lee McCAIN, aged 30 years. He was the son of Mrs. Fannie McCAIN, widow of the late Z. McCAIN, who died three years ago this month. The young man had the grip in the winter, and had a hemorrhage about three weeks ago, but was thought to have fully recovered. He had a second hemorrhage Sunday, and death resulted in fifteen minutes.
The funeral service was held at the Hutchins cemetery Tuesday and was largely attended.

Walter S. LEMMON, a prominent lawyer, of Dallas, and former county attorney of Dallas county died suddenly at Mineral Wells Tuesday night, where he had gone for a few days rest. He was taken seriously ill Monday. County officials and members of the bar association went to Mineral Wells Wednesday to accompany the remains and his family to Dallas, where the funeral was held.

While en route to the funeral of Sidney McCAIN, of Hutchins, the horses attached ot the hearse became frightened at an automobile in Hutchins and ran away, pretty badly demolishing the hearse. Sam RAWLINS, who was in charge of the conveyance, telephoned to the Lancaster undertaking establishment for men to come and get the wreck, and to Dallas for another hearse, and the funeral services were in no way interfered with.

March 27, 1908

Cases transferred to the Austin term of criminal appeals:
Jim JONES, who was given a life sentence in the penitentiary for the murder of Bob LYLES, W.O. BROWN, W.L. WATERS and E.C. PATE. The last three named were found guilty of murder in a lesser degree than the first and their punishment was assessed at terms in the penitentiary ranging from seven to thirty years.

Mrs. Mary CUPPY Lives Thirty-Six Hours After Declared Dead. Shawnee, Okla., March 26.-

Having been declared dead in open court by the county attorney, her body prepared for burial and friends assembled to pay a last tribute, it was discovered that Mrs. Mary CUPPY of Shawnee was still alive and the funeral arrangements were stopped. She lived until 3:30 o'clock Wednesday, thirty-six hours after being pronounced dead, dying at that hour.
Mrs. CUPPY was assaulted by a negro three weeks ago. She was thrown on a railroad track unconscious. She never recovered fully from her injuries, and the negro, while she lived, was indicted for assault to murder. When Mrs. Cuppy was pronounced dead the county attorney dismissed the assault case and had an new indictment for murder returned before Mrs. Cuppy was dead in fact. The injures of Mrs. Cuppy inflicted by the negro caused her death.

Bail Placed at $10,000
Perry, Okla., March 26.-Judge W.M. PERRY
has granted bail in the sum of $10,000 to Richard, Lucius and Troy LUMPKIN, three brothers, who were arrested on charge of killing Ed FITZPATRICK at a country dance, near Perry, two weeks ago.

Local News.

Word was received by Lancaster relatives the fist of the week that Mrs. Rebekah PARKS FREEMAN, wife of Abraham FREEMAN, died at her home in Iowa Park last week, the funeral being held Friday.
Mrs. FREEMAN formerly lived at Lancaster and has a large number of relatives and friends here. She was about 64 years of age, is survived by her husband and two daughters.

The little year-old baby of Robert CHESHIER and wife died Wednesday night, after an illness of about thirty days, of measles and pneumonia.
The funeral service was conducted Thursday and interment was made in Rawlins cemetery. Mr. and Mrs. Cheshier are very grateful to friends and neighbors for kindness and aid extended during their trouble.
The Herald extends sympathy to the bereaved family.

Willie B. READ, a boy, fell from a tree near Houston thirty feet and broke his neck.

Thomas WELLER was struck by a locomotive near San Antonio, death resulting some hours afterward.

Near Boyce, Tex., Leslie SHULL, six years old, fell off a wagon loaded with gravel and was run over and killed.

Thursday night, March 19th, 1908, died of consumption, Wiley Randolph WOOD. He was born Aug. 16, 1873, in White county, Tenn.; was married to Miss Pansy RIZER, Nov. 3, 1900.
For more than a year Mr. Wood had been ill, and had tried the climate of Western Texas with hopes of being benefitted, but returned to Lancaster a few weeks ago, and had continued ot grow weaker until death relieved his suffering. He was a member of the Christian church, a Woodman and an Odd Fellow.
The funeral service was held at the Christian church, conducted by Dr. S.A. McELROY, and the remains were interred in Edgewood cemetery under the ritual of the Woodmen order, the I.O.O. F. also attending in a dboy.
He leaves his wife and six year old son, Harry, his father, one sister and seven brothers to mourn his death. A wide circle of friends extend sympathy.
The following from out of town attended the funeral: W.D. CARNES and Miss Lizzie CARNES, Harry RIZER and wife, and Mrs. Jim ANDERSON, Dallas;
Dr. CARNES, M.E. RAWLINS and Mrs. Dimple EDWARDS, Hutchins; Miss Lala WADE, Weston, Texas.

Miss Birdie DURRETT.
The news of the death of Miss Birdie DURRETT, daughter of Luke DURRETT, Saturday morning came as a great surprise to our people. She was taken ill Thursday night, but was not considered in a serious condition, but failing to improve a physician was called Saturday, but she died before he reached her.
She was a young woman, but the hand of sorrow had been heavy upon her in the past few years. A little baby niece had been left to her care by the death of its mother, and her own mother, who had been a great sufferer died last season, and the responsibility of the home was born by Birdie. She was the home-maker for her three brothers and father.
The funeral service was held at the home Sunday and the remains were laid to rest in Rawlins cemetery. The Herald extends sympathy to the bereaved relatives.

April 3, 1908

The Dynamite Was Good.
Shawnee, Ok.: Boys playing near a half car of giant powder and dynamite caps near the Katy stock yards Tuesday afternoon got into a dispute as to whether the powder was good or bad, determined to test it and applied a lighted match to the powder, the powder communicated to the dynamite caps, and the explosion that followed was heard for miles.
The car was blown into fragments and people passing near were blown from their feet and across the road. Six people were seriously injured, and one, a negro child, died. The injured: Sammie KOUNTZ, white, aged 15; Ira W. BOYCLEY, white, aged 15; George WALKER, negro, age 14; Lucy CLAY negress, aged 25; Mary BRITTON, negress; Robert GRAY, negro, will die. Three of the injured are horribly burned, and if any recover, they will be disfigured.

Jesse MORRISON, better known as Jimmy MORRISON, who at an early age was employed as a Government scout in the Southwest, serving under SHERIDAN and MILES, committed suicide at his home at El Reno, Ok., by shooting.

Two Men Killed In Collision.
Navasota: While running about twenty-five miles an hour in the local yards Tuesday morning a freight engine and a northbound passenger train met head-on, resulting in two deaths. Engineer RANDOLPH of the passenger train was instantly killed, and Gus JAMERSON, fireman of the freight engine, was so badly bruised and cut on the head that he died at 6:45 that afternoon. Fireman Arthur SMITH was slightly injured.

Two Children Burned in Barn.
West: While J.F. KASTOHRYZ and his wife were in the field their three little children ranging in age from eleven months to seven or eight years, were playing in the barn, and in some way the barn was set on fire. The infant was burned to a crisp, while the next oldest was burned so badly that it died in a few hours. The eldest child escaped. Mr. KASTOHRYZ came to this section and purchased the DUFFEL farm near Ross.

Lee HACKLER, aged 18 years, son of Mel HACKLER and nephew of Banker HACKLER of Campbell, was drowned in a pool three miles east of Campbell Saturday afternoon.

James Edward _Ba on_ [exactly as printed], an eminent hydraulic engineer, was found dead in his office in Dallas Sunday. Death was due to heart trouble, and was totally unexpected.

At 3 o'clock Friday John BROWN, a negro, was executed at Cuero by hanging. His neck was broken by the fall. Thirteen minutes later County Physician pronounced him dead.

Alva COX, the Belton fireman who walked out of a second-story window of the fire station here Tuesday morning while asleep, died Saturday night from the effects of his injuries.

G. BARBERA, San Antonio, a tailor was found in a dying condition after taking a quantity of poison. A box of rough on rats was found near him and he said that he had swallowed a dose of poison.

Carlisle CARDWELL, aged 18 years, was run over and fatally injured by an oil wagon in San Antonio. CARDWELL was riding a bicycle and collided with the wagon, falling under the wheels, which passed over his body.

J.H,. NEW, a travelling salesman, for a patent medicine company, took an ounce of carbolic acid at 3:30 a.m., Friday, at the Commercial Hotel at Big Sandy and died at 1:40 o'clock Saturday morning.

Young DAVIS, son of Dave DAVIS of Greenville, was seriously and perhaps fatally stabbed with a pocketknife in a difficulty which occurred in the southern part of the county.

Lee HACKLER, age about 20 years, was drowned in a railroad tank three miles west of Cumby Saturday afternoon. He, in company with other boys, was fishing, using a small boat, which capsized in deep water, and was unable to swim.

Saturday morning Col. C.P. VANCE, one of Taylor's pioneer citizens and 80 years old, was accidentally run down by a team of mules drawing an ice wagon and considerably stunned and bruised.

Poisoned by Weed.
Paris: A 3-year-old daughter of John HADDOCK of Chicota was taken ill Sunday evening and continued vomiting until Tuesday when she died. On Sunday she went with other children to gather wild flowers and it is said that [she] chewed and ate some weed resembling wild onion or cross poison. The attending physician pronounced her death due to eating poison weed.

Mrs. Irene Elizabeth SEARS.
Bowed down with a great personal bereavement, I enter upon this tribute to the memory of the late Irene Elizabeth SEARS, who died March 30th, 8:45 p.m., at her home 3 miles south-east of Hutchins. Had this dear, good woman lived till the 23rd day of next September she would have celebrated her 75th anniversary; and her anniversaries meant much, not only to her, but to her children and grandchildren, and, at times, a few intimate friend of this interesting family. On such occasion it was the great pleasure of this writer and family to be numbered among them, and the memories of that day will be coexistence with life itself. Possessed of one of the most loveable personalities I have ever known, she drew to her the old, the middle aged and the young alike, and vied with each other, especially on these occasions, to see who could win form he the most pronounced tokens of affection returned. But to all she was the same sweet, considerate, loving, patient mother and friend, and her very presence was always a benediction.
Born in Indiana, she went in early life, with her parents to Iowa, whence she came in 1856 to within one half a mile of the place where she died. Here she was married to Jas. W. SEARS, who preceeded (sic) her to the grave just nineteen years ago. From this union were born four boys and four girls; in the order named: Mrs. A.J. LOWERY, J.W., G. W., R.D. and A.M. SEARS, Mrs. Cassie LACY, Misses Fannie and Ollie SEARS. Of this large family all are living with the exception of A.M. who died in 1895.
About the sick bed of this devoted Christian and mother were gathered her boys and her girls, ever ready to show by word or act the depth of their devotion to her. Never a complaint was heard to escape her patient lips, but only thanks to those who ministered to her wants.   Throughout her life-not only throughout her last illness-she always acclaimed her faith in Him whom she confessed at the early age of 11 years, and the death scene was but the natural culmination of such a life.
In the course of my profession I have been called upon to witness many a dissolution of soul and body; but for beauty, for pathos, for devotion, for reverence for the sublimity of the faith that molded the life here, and gave birth to the hope of life eternal over yonder, this one makes the superlative of them all. "Christ is all in all," said the pallid lips of this dying saint, and as she called her children, grandchildren, her tow brothers, Rufe and Charley MOSIER, and loved friends about her, she called down Heaven's richest blessing upon them, and exhorted them to the better life. Oh, it was a scene worth a lifetime to witness. The sweetest of all to me was a scene worth a lifetime to witness. The sweetest of all to me was when she called me by name, and said, "Doctor, may the good Shepherd in the keeping of his flock, take care of you, that you may be a blessing to others." How like the blessings of the patriarchs of old. Just before her pure spirit winged its way to the mansion prepared for it in the Heavens-when her ears had become deaf to earthly sounds , and her eyes dimmed to earthly visions-when the angel band had come to bear her away, she heard the flutter of their wings and the melody of their voices, and opened he eyes and looked upon them with this exclamation, "The Angels." This was her last utterance, an, without a struggle or semblance of pain upon her now bleached face, she fell asleep in the arms of her Redeemer.   The old home will be desolate now, but of her, her children will borrow the poet who said:
"And one face above all others Must with peerless lustre glow;
Yea, a sweeter, nobler vision
On this earth we ne'er shall know!
'Round that face like clustering jewels
Bright memories are massed,
For our mother was the princess
Of our palace of the past!"
The funeral service was conducted at the home by Elder Fred CLARK, of Waco. It was most impressive, the speaker knowing well the Christian character and home life about whom he talked. Adding mush to the solemnity and beauty of this sad service, was the singing of the neighborhood choir of male voices-a choir whose custom has been for years past to gather, at the homes in that neighborhood and sing the sweet songs of Zion. None enjoyed them more than the subject of this tribute, and who can know but that her redeemed spirit was there, drinking in to the full, the melody of the voices her mortal ears had so loved to hear. "Asleep in Jesus," "Death is Only a Dream," and others equally appropriate rose in sweet cadences above her bier, and tears of genuine bereavement flowed unrestrained from every eye.
Interment was made in the Lancaster cemetery, where rest the remains of her husband and son. Thus lived and thus died a loyal subject of the Heavenly King.
With love and veneration, A.W. CARNES.

Engineer D.B. RALSTON and Conductor John WOLFENBERGER of Lawton were killed Saturday night when their freight train ran into a derailment and went into a bridge near Cement, Okla., thirty miles northwest of Lawton on the Frisco.

Resolutions of Respect.
Whereas, God in His unerring wisdom has taken from Lancaster Lodge,I.O.O.F. our beloved brother, W.R. WOOD, who died March 19th. Therefore be it:
Resolved. That we give expression to our regret at the loss of another member, and ask of that All-wise Father whose mercy endureth forever and whose goodness is from everlasting to everlasting, that we may bow with meekness to this dispensation of His providence, and be able to say blessed be His Holy name….

April 10, 1908

Little Girl Drinks Carbolic Acid and Corpse In Half an Hour.
Hico, Tex., April 9.-Ruth BARHAM, aged four years, daughter of Charles BARHAM, a business man of Hico, got hold of a bottle of carbolic acid and drank enough of it to cause death in about thirty minutes. Her mother thinks that she climbed on a chair and got it off a shelf in the kitchen. No one saw her drink it, but just after she had drunk it she said to her grandma, "That water was hot," and they quickly discovered the fact that she had swallowed the acid and a physician was summoned at once, but the deadly poison had done its work before he could render any relief.

Skull of A.W. SCOTT was crushed by a rock in a mine explosion at Henryetta, Okla.

Will JOHNSON, a negro, pleaded guilty at Shawnee, Okla., of killing

Mrs. Mary CUPPY and given the death penalty.

Charles COOPER, a youth, attacked near Rush Springs, Okla., died without revealing the identity of his assailant.

Mr. Joe MYERS one of our citizens, died at Oak Cliff last Friday, with pneumonia and was buried at Wheatland Saturday. We sympathize with his aged mother and relative.

E. BEILHARZ a Dallas Business Man, Ends Life.
Dallas, April 9.-At his business establishment on Elm street near Ervay E. BEILHARZ, president of the Texas Liquor company, fired a bullet through his heart Wednesday morning, death being instantaneous. Mr. Beilharz some months ago lost his wife and soon after his brother, Theodore BEILHARZ, a prominent contractor, also passed away. These two misfortunes caused extreme despondency to take possession of deceased.
Five children survive.

This Dreadful Charge Against a Negress In Jail at Waxahachie. Waxahachie, Tex., April 9.-Lucy WILLIAMS, a negress, is in the county jail charged with the murder of her twelve year old daughter. The crime was committed on a farm near Sardis late Tuesday afternoon. The child was choked to death with a leather strap. The woman fled and spent the night in the woods, where she was captured Wednesday morning by Sheriff FORBES. The woman has all appearances of being crazy.

April 17, 1908


Will JOHNSON, convicted at Shawnee, Okla., on charge of murdering Mrs. Mary CUPPY, has been sentenced to hang May 22

Mrs. Flora May YATES.
The subject of this sketch died at Fort Worth, April 13th, of consumption.
She was born Dec. 4, 1877, and was the daughter of W.R. and Minerva BROGDEN. She was born and reared near Lancaster, and was married to W. Kid YATES, in August, 1894, moving with her husband to Fort Worth some two years ago. She leaves, besides her husband, tow lovely little girls, ages respectively twelve and seven years. She leaves two brothers, A.L. and W.R. BROGDEN.
Deceased was a consistent member of the Christian church. Her remains were brought to Lancaster Monday night and the funeral services were conducted at the cemetery Tuesday afternoon by Rev. T.C. MAHAN, the Christian church being without a pastor, after which her remains were laid to rest beside her little child, which had preceded her in death several years.   She was gentle and lovable in all her relations as mother, wife and friend. She will be greatly missed, especially by those who loved her best.
The Herald extends sympathy to her relatives and friends, and especially to the little girls who will miss their mother more than all others.

Wilmer [Texas]
It seems the hand of fate has been laid heavily upon the arm of W.C. BEARD. In the past five months the angel of death has visited his home three times, and has each time taken away a priceless jewel. First, the mother was called away; a woman whose modest life will be remembered for years by those with whom she associated. Next, Flora, the 16 year-old daughter, was called away. On the 23rd of last month God in his tender mercy took the five-months-old babe to his home on high-"For as such is the kingdom of Heaven." Its sufferings were short but very great being sick only 3 days. But with the best of care and administration it continued to grow wore (sic). It's short stay here was for some purpose, and when it had fulfilled its mission the great Allwise relieved it of all earthly sufferings and took it to dwell on high. John S. DAVIS preached a very interesting sermon after which the remains were laid to rest in Trinity cemetery.
We extend deepest sympathy to the bereaved family. April 13th.

May 15, 1908

Town Storm Swept.
Dozen Killed and Many More Reported Injured.
Oklahoma City,Ok., May 12
-- At least a dozen killed outright, as many more ftally injured and three score more or less seriously injured, is the result of a succession of tornadoes that swept Woodward and adjoining counties Sunday night. The cyclone covered an area of twenty-five miles, leaving death and destruction in its wake. Wires are down and communication cut off, and it is impossible to learn the full extent of the casualties.
Seven towns are reported to have been wiped off the map, and at Grand, Arnett and Estelle, where the storm spent its fury, the death list is heaviest.
The villages destroyed are about twenty-five miles from the nearest railroad. The towns of Vici, Mutual, Cooley and Richmond are reported as having been devastated.
At Little Robe, fifty five miles southwest of Woodward, Mrs. J.E. HALE was killed. In the vicinity of Arnet, O.E. NULL and daughter were caught in the storm while driving. They escaped injury, but their team was killed.
The little town of Cestos, Dewey County, also is reported wiped off the map. No details from there as yet have been obtained.
The known casualties are:
At Arnett--Mr. HALE, killed
At Vici--Dr. HAUSER, fatallly injured.
At Mutual--Arthur SIBERT, his wife and several others seriously injured.
At Little Robe--Mrs. J.E. HALE.
Grand, the county seat of Ellis County, is said to have been wholly wrecked. The towns of Estelle, Richmond and Cooley
are also reported to have been devastated.

Shooting Bee in Oklahoma.
Shawnee Ok.,:
Three men rode into Hanna in a buggy and began shooting and when Deputy Sheriff ABANS called on them to surrender, he was fired on.
In the shooting which followed George STRONG was killed, Henry WHITE shot in the arm and in the melee a buggy overturned and Will STEVENS had both legs broken in the wreck.

June 5, 1908

Paul BRUCHNER, a well known business man of Corsicana, and a man named CURRY, a visitor there, were drown Sunday morning while fishing in a place known at "Tinkle's Tank," about a mile north of that city.


Louis LITTLETON, aged seventy-three years, was seriously injured in a runaway at Austin Saturday. He was thrown over an embankment and his horse fell on him.

J.J. FOWLKES, a Confederate veteran aged 84, died in Dallas Saturday.The remains were interred at Pilot Point, a former home of the deceased.
A widow and three married children survive.

H.N. FRANKLIN, a young man about 19 years of age, in the employ of the Santa Fe Railway as rate clerk at Ballinger, was run over by a freight train about noon Tuesday and cut to pieces.

Information has been received at San Antonio from San Francisco that George H. FROHOCK, a seaman of the first class, who enlisted from that city was run down by a train near San Francisco and instantly killed.

Mrs. Bessie ROSENBERG, wife of Nathan ROSENBERG, who conducts a general merchandise store in Houston, shot herself in the head with an army revolver Sunday night.
Justice of the Peace MCDONALD held an inquest and found that she died by her own hand.
Mrs. ROSENBERG had been in ill health for several months.

J.M.STEWART, a brakeman employed on the Texas and Pacific, was killed near Springdale, north of Marshall.
He was struck by a train early Saturday.
Deceased leaves a family at Longview Junction.

Carl Dietrich, one of the best known German residents of San Antonio, fell dead at his grocery store in West End Thursday while waiting on a customer. Apoplexy was the cause.
He was 53 years old, and is survived by his widow, a son and a daugher.

On the Thomas BARKER farm, five miles south of Taylor, Wednesday morning August EDBORD, a Swede laborer about 24 years old, was kicked in the left side by a young colt, death resulting almost instantly.

David G. STOUT, a private in Company B, Nineteenth Infantry, stationed at Fort Bliss, near El Paso was instantly killed Saturday by the accidental discharge of a gun which he was cleaning for the regular Saturday inspection.

In a fight between Monroe MCWHORTER and his son and two other men about eight miles west of Granbury, both of the MCWHORTERS were shot, the father in the chest and the son in the arm.

While seated at the dinner table Sunday, partaking of the noon meal, Herman L. BARROW, a street railway conductor of Galveston, aged about 50 years, suddenly expired of heart disease.
Deceased had been in ill health for some time.

A Mier Expedition Man Dead.

Round Mountain, Blanco Co.: John Rufus ALEXANDER died here Friday at 10 a.m.
He was born in Missouri in 1817 and came to Texas at an early day. He was in the Mier expedition, was captured with the rest of the Texans and drew a white bean and made his escape from the Mexicans.
Mr. Alexander was no doubt the last man living who was in that expedition.
He leaves a widow, three sons and three daughters.

W.T. CAMPBELL, a well known horseman of Fort Worth, virtually gave up his life for his horses last week. He over exposed himself during the floods and died as a result.

W.J. NUBILLE shot and killed Henry LEWIS late Saturday evening about six miles southeast of San Augustine. Both white, W.J. NUBILLE surrendered to the sheriff, who placed him in jail.

Guadalupe DIAZ was killed near Bluff Springs Saturday night.
Deputy Sheriff Wash FRITZ phoned in to Sheriff MATTHEWS, advising him of the occurance.
Deputy Sheriff FRITZ gave bond in the sum of $600.

Mrs. J.P. HURLEY, aged 49 years, wife of Railroad Conductor HURLEY, died Friday night at her late residence in Fort Worth after a long illness.
Mrs. HURLEY had been a resident of that city twenty-five years.

W.A. PYBAS, an inmate of the Tarrant county poor farm, cut his throat and died one day last week. Soon after Jack DELANEY, also a poor farm inmate, cut his throat, and is dangerously hurt.

Sunday afternoon while a party of boys were bathing in Flag Springs tank, one mile east of Taylor, Ward Talley, the 16-year-old son of R.H.TALLEY, formerly a prominent merchant of Taylor, was drowned, despite efforts of rescue by his frightened companions.

While in bathing with two other companions in Cottonwood Creek near Bay City, John DAVOS was drowned.
The body was recovered forty minutes afterward and efforts made to restore life, which failed.

June 12, 1908

In the mortuary column of the Dallas News we find the following item, dated Hillsboro, June 8th:

"Mrs. Sarah T. BROWN, aged 68 years, died at the residence of her son, W.C. HATTER. The funeral took place Friday.
She was a member of one of the oldest families of this county, in point of residence in it, being the widow of Richard BROWN, a pioneer citizen who died about three years ago.
Deceased was the grandmother of John HATTER and sister, Miss Alice, and was a quest in their home last summer.

Ella REECE, a negro woman, was accidentally shot by her husband near Floyd last Friday. The bullet struck her in the right side, ranged   through the liver and lodged in the backbone. She is perhaps fatally injured.

Betrtha (sic) Lee THOMAS, a negress, was shot through the head by a 22-caliber bullet last Friday afternoon near Buffalo Creek, Johnson County, and killed. The bullet was discharged from a rifle in the hands of Effie WRIGHT, and was accidental.

Don WALLACE, the man who was stabbed in an affray at Mission Billiard Parlors, corner of Main street and Preston avenue, Houston, died Sunday at the infirmary. A charge of murder has been made against Mike WERNER, who was arrested.

Lawrence BUSHNELL and Earl HOWELL were drowned in the Bosque river Saturday night.
They were fishing in a boat, which suddenly turned over.
BUSHNELL, aged 30, leaves a widow; HOWELL was a youth.
The accident occurred near the junction of the Bosque and Brazos, three miles from Waco.

Miss Rillie GLEEN, 15 years old, who lived with her widowed mother, Mrs. Elizabeth GLEEN, a mile south of Broadway, Lamar county, died at 11 o'clock Friday morning from swallowing an ounce of carbolic acid.
Death resulted in an hour after the drug was taken.

John James aged 40 years, was found dead at his home in Riverside, Fort Worth, with the top of his head blown off. A gun was discovered near the body.
He leaves five children. Despondency is attributed as the cause of the deed.

Capt. John T. HAMBLETON, alderman at large and one of the best known citizens of San Antonio, died Sunday afternoon after a long illness.
He was steamboat pilot and captin (sic) in the early days on the Mississippi and worked with Mark TWAIN and other noted river men.

John DUERRY, an aged negro who had resided for many years on a farm near Forest Hill, Tarrant County, dropped dead while plowing in his field one day last week. He was 76 years of age.

Houston SNEED, a negro, was run over by a street car in Denison Sunday night and was taken to the sanitarium in Sherman, where he died the next morning. He resided in Sherman.

J.K. PITTMAN, a veteran resident of Corsicana, was found dead in his bedroom at his home Sunday night.
He was a widower and his son and son's son, who live with him, were in Palestine on a visit.

Charles H. BRIGGS, one of the most prominent machinery men of Dallas, head of the Briggs-Weaver Machinery Company, died in that city Monday night.
He had been a resident of that city for twenty years.

A message was received in Waxahachie a few nights since from San Antonio, stating that Colonel John C. GIBSON, one of the early settlers of Waxahachie, had died there. Mr. GIBSON went to San Antonio several weeks ago for the benefit of his health.

Henry Y. ALLEN, Sr., aged eighty-four years, died Saturday afternoon after a brief illness at his home, after a residence of five years in Dallas.

Bob LONG was held without bail Saturday before Justice of the Peace Boyett in his examining trial for the murder of Prof. J.G. JACOWAY in Paris last Saturday.

The remains of John C. Gibson, who died in a sanitarium at San Antonio, were received in Waxahachie Sunday. He was a confederate soldier, and well known in this community.

Tragedies of County Sear War.

Muskogee, Ok., June 9.--The McIntosh county seat fight assumed its second stage when General DUNLAP, who was guarding the court house in Eufaula, was shot and instantly killed last night about 9 o'clock in the hallway on the third floor of the hotel Foley.

Night before last F.M. WOOD was shot and fatally wounded by Joe PARMENTER.
The tragedy has stirred all Eufaula, and for a time there was fear of more violence.
In the afternoon DUNLAP was heard to say that he anticipated trouble. DUNLAP was for a number of years Deputy under
United States Marshal BENNETT.

OKbits County Index
Return to Oklahoma Obits

Created by
Sharon Burnett-Crawford
Site Hosted by Rootsweb
Copyright 1996 - 2019 OKGenWeb Coordinator
[email protected]