Wellington Genealogy Group
Wellington Genealogy Group

Member of GAR post 219

Charles Horton

Alanson Welsher

Age: 75
Birthplace: Webster (NY)
Residence: Wellington
Occupation: Railroader
Entry into the Service
Date: 11.28.63
Rank: Private
Co.: K
Regiment: 10 N York I
Final Discharge
Date: 6.30.65
Rank: Private
Co.: K
Regiment: 10 N York I
Length of Service: 2 years 5 mo
Cause of Discharge: Close of War
Date of Muster into the G.A.R.: Jan 18, 1888 Post 98 Department of Mich, Transfer from Mich Sept 7 1920 to Post 219 Department of Ohio
When Honorably Discharged:
When Suspended:
When Dropped:
Where Buried:
Nature of Wounds Received:
When and in what Engagements Wounded:
Remarks: Died Mch 3d 1921


Wellington Enterprise, 8 March 1921, page 4


Mr. Andrew Welsher, aged 75 years, a veteran of the Civil war, passed away at the home on Courtland street, on Thursday afternoon, Mar. 3. A short service was held Friday afternoon at the home. The body was taken to Port Huron Saturday, where final services were held Sunday.


Wellington Enterprise, 11 March 1921, page 5

Alanson Sears Welsher was born January 27, 1846, in Webster, N.Y. He was the oldest of seven children born to David and Sarah Devereaux Welsher, five of whom survive. The family moved to Hartland, N.Y.

When a boy not quite 18 years old he enlisted in the 8th New York Heavy Artillery, where he served his country faithfully until the end of the war. He was wounded at Rheims Station. After being discharged from the army, he went back to his father's farm for a short time, then coming to Wellington, O., where he was employed two years by the firm of Bennett & Kirk. He was charter member of Hamlin Post formed here in 1866.

He was married in New York to Emerette Fasig in 1871, and to them two children were born. This union only lasted about seven years, when the wife and mother died. He then married Carrie Fauber and to this union were born five children, one dying in infancy. The family moved from New York state to Port Huron, Mich., and this was his home for thirty-five years, the wife and mother dying there several years ago.

He was married to Mrs. Rosella Devereaux October 10, 1919, and they have made their home in Wellington the last year.

After the illness of nearly five weeks, he passed from this life Mar. 3, 1921. Funeral services were held at the home Friday afternoon, conducted by Rev. P.B. Schaffner and the G.A.R. comrades.

The body was taken to Port Huron the final services were held in his old home surrounded by his family and loving friends and the G.A.R. of Port Huron.

"Soldier, rest! Thy warfare o'er,
Sleep the sleep that knows no breaking;
Dream of battlefields no more,
Days of danger, nights of waking."