Chillicothe School History Overview
OHGenWeb NOTICE: In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the
Internet, data may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message
remains on all copied material. These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in
any format for profit or for presentation by other persons or organizations.
Persons or organizations desiring to use this material for purposes other than stated above must obtain the written consent of the file contributor.
This file was contributed for use in the OHGenWeb Ross County by Sandy Holladay
Chillicothe's first school board was established in 1849. The plan was to build 3 schools, one in the east, one in the west, and one in-between.
Central School was built on Paint Street in 1853, and used as the first high school in Chillicothe, graduating 3 students in 1859.
Western was built in 1852 on Cherry, and Eastern was built in 1852 on East Main St., near the railroad. In 1870 Eastern had become too crowded and dangerous because of the railroad, and was replaced by the New Eastern School on Bridge.
Southern was built on the corner of Walnut and 7th St. in mid 1870s, and was intended to be used by African-American students.
The West Fifth Street School was built as a new High School in 1901. In 1932 a new high school was built on Arch Street, and the building on West Fifth became the Junior High School, that building was torn down in 1974 to build Central Elementary School.
1933 was the first graduating class of the high school on Arch Street, and last class was 1962. The new school was then built on Yoctangee Parkway, and the previous school on Arch became Smith Middle School.
The original Western School was replaced in 1911 and used until 1951, now the building houses the administrative offices.
Southern School, corner of Walnut and Seventh housed African-American students from 1874-1956. The building was torn down in 1956 and is now a public parking area.
In 1912 St. Mary's Catholic School was opened on East Fourth Street. The upper grades included CCHS (Catholic Central High School). This building was torn down in 1994.