David P. Miller
of Troy Township
David P. Miller, a practical and enterprising agriculturist of Troy township, Richland County, formerly owned and cultivated about three hundred acres of land, constituting one of the valuable and highly improved farms of the locality. His possessions were mainly acquired throught his own efforts; and as the result of his persevering endeavor he has won a place among the substantial citizens of his native county. Mr. Miller was born upon his present farm, March 12, 1832, died August12, 1900. He was the only survivor of the five children born to George M. and Elizabeth P Miller. The birth of his father occurred November 24, 1789,in county Kent, England, where he grew to manhood, learning the trade of carpenter and wheelwright, which he followed for some time. In 1830 he emigrated to America, and after a short residence in Mansfield, Ohio, he purchased thirty-one acres of the farm upon which our subject now resides. Soon after his arrival here he erected a sawmill upon his place, and for many years manufactured practically all of the lumber used in thissection of the county. As a Methodist he was active in church work, for many years serving as a class-leader. He was one of the best known men of his community and was highly esteemed and respected. His death occurredJanuary 19, 1873, while his wife, who also was born in county Kent, England August 20, 1787, lived to the advanced age of ninety-one years and three months, dying from the effects of a fall which broke her hip. She, too, was an active and consistent member of the Methodist Church. David P. Miller grew to manhood on the home farm, acquiring his literary education in the old pioneer log schoolhouse of the neighborhood. On reaching his eighteenth year he assumed the management of the farm and sawmill, which he conducted until 1864, when the dam was destroyed andthe mill abandoned. Soon after this he opened a stone quarry, which heworked until 1871. He extended the boundaries of his farm from time to timeuntil they contained two hundred and ninety-five acres, which he placed in ahigh state of cultivation, and now is one of the best improved farms of the locality. His handsome residence was erected in 1871, and is now occupied by his daughter, Ranie L. Abernethy. In 1855 Mr. Miller married Miss Harriet L. Beverstock, a native of Monroeville, Huron County, Ohio, and a daughter of Allen B. and Laura M. (Reed) Beverstock. Her father, who was born in Vermont, moved to Huron county when about fourteen years of age, and in 1832 came to Lexington, Richland County, Ohio, where he established a mercantile business, being largely instrumental in making that place what it is today. He was born December 23, 1804, and died March 2, 1882. Mr. Miller has three children, namely; Laura A., the wife of Louis M. Campbell, of Troy Township, thic county; Ranie L. the wife of J. L. Abernethy, also of Troy township; and Fannie B., the wife of S. J. Colwell, of the Colwell Hardware Company,of Mansfield. During the dark days of the Rebellion Mr. Miller enlisted, on the 2nd day of May, 1864, in Company B, One Hundred and Sixty-Third Ohio National Guards, and for a time was stationed in front of Petersburg. He was honorably discharged from the service April 12, 1867. Prior to this he was a member of the famous Squirrel Hunters, and received his discharge in September, 1862. In his political views he was a stanch Republican. He served as a school director for twenty years and as a township trustee on term. For many years he was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church; but after the house of worship in Troy township was destroyed by fire he never renewed his membership in that denomination but afterward attended the Congregational church, where he was as Sunday-school teacher for several years. He was a worthy representative of that class of citizens who lead quiet,industrious, honest, and useful lives and constitute the best portion of the community. Wherever known he was held in high regard, and is certainly deserving of honorable mention in the history of his native county.
submitted by: Scott Burow email@example.com
1. Baughman, Abraham J., A CENTENNIAL BIOGRAPHICAL HISTORY OF RICHLAND AND ASHLAND COUNTIES, OHIO , Lewis Publishing Company, Chicago, IL,, 1901.