Richland Co., Ohio
A Timeline of Richland County's New Court House, 1872
source: Shelby Independent News: 21 November 1872, Vol. 5, No. 4
|before 1869||County Commissioners were not permitted by law to erect a court house at an expense larger than $15,000 unless authorized by special law, or vote of the people|
|Winter, 1867||Attempt was made to pass a special law to allow the Commissioners to levy a tax for the building of a new court house; Mansfield had tendered the public square for the building site if it was to be built at that point, but would not hold the land for a future date; A bill was introduced to the House of Representatives at Columbus for the levying of a tax equal to about $100,000 for three successive years; Petitions were sent in from all parts of the county, with most townships being against the project - only Sharon and Cass townships sent favorable petitions; The bill was defeated after the negative feedback|
|1869||A new law was passed, which allowed County Commissioners to levy taxes for projects like the building of a new court house; The Board of Commissioners (Daniel M. Snyder, John T. Keith and David Taylor) proposed a tax be levied|
|04 July 1869||Commissioners purchased lots number 151 and 152 in Mansfield from J.W. and S.E. Jenner for a site for $10,250.|
|07 August 1869||Commissioners purchased lot 153 from Mrs. Elizabeth Reed for $6,500; H.E. Myers (of Cleveland, OH) was employed as architect for the building; When finished he was to submit the plans for the approval of the County Commissioners, Clerk, Sheriff and Probate Judge; This committee adopted his plans.|
|10 May 1870||After
public notice, the Commissioners met for the purpose of "letting the
contract of building" the court house; The following persons
bid on the project ...
The firm of Miller, Frayer & Sheets (Wm. Miller of Mt. Gilead, J.F. Frayer of Bucyrus and Leonard Sheets of Mansfield) being the lowest bidders, the contract was let to them, who were "bound to furnish all the materials, and do all the work according to the plans and specifications adopted, under the direction and to the satisfaction of the architect, for the sum of ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY-SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS."
|11 May 1870||Bond were
entered into by the contractors, with security of $100,000, which
were approved by the Commissioners; The work was commenced and
continued until finished; The building was 102 by 132 feet,
and was built of cut stone, and pressed brick, nearly all of which
materials were the production of Richland County.
And from the Shelby Independent News: 30 January 1873, Vol. 5, No. 14 ...
|22 January 1873||New court
house was dedicated; A Programme for the dedication was issued
by Hon. G.W. Geddis; Officers who were to dispense justice at
the new court building were as follows:
<< Back to Misc. Records Index
<< Back to the Richland Co., Ohio Index
Tuesday, May 06, 2008