Morton One Room School Historical Museum Events Calendar
School - ca 1917
History of Morton One Room School
Schools in the Morton District
first school in the Morton School District was built in 1833.
to the West of the current schoolhouse. It had a mud / stick
on the outside, forming a fireplace on the inside that was large
to lay two logs side by side. The seats consisted of logs split
and hewed on one side, with two holes bored in each end with
in for legs. The desks were wide boards fastened to the walls.
were single panes placed across two sides and one end. In the
of 1841, this school house burned down.
second schoolhouse was also built to the west of the current
was used for two years until the district was divided in two.
In 1843, a
building was constructed on the opposite corner from where it
Market is currently located of that previous site). This was a frame
painted red, with black walnut interior and seats similar to
first school house. It was heated with a stove. This district
many as 104 students with a average daily attendance of more
50 for many years during this 28 year period.
1871, a brick school house was built on the North East corner
but due to poor ventilation, the floor deteriorated and
1882, the present Morton building was constructed.
the current Morton Schoolhouse is the 5th in a series of schoolhouses
to provide education to the students in this area.
of the above information first appeared in a 1893 Shelby Times
Morton School Early History
regarding the daily operation of the Morton School as well as
- records from
the other schools in the township are scattered. Due in part
the fact the original school records were intertwined with the
the Township Trustees. As each individual school closed,
that school were simply set aside without much concern for their
value causing them to be lost or destroyed.
some of the forgotten records are now being rediscovered. In
donated to the Morton School Museum Project by the late Ira and
/ Clabaugh, the following details regarding the operation of
School have become known.
April 16, 1855 Norman S. Morton was appointed the Librarian for
Morton School District. The duties of the Librarian were, to
give out books
to the common school library on the first Saturday of the month
According to records found in the Clabaugh book, the following
books were on
shelves of the District #1 library at the beginning of May in
1857. They were:
Abroad, The Life of Sir Walter Scott,
on Daily Paths, Beech Nut, Tip Top,
and, The Poor Rich Man."
The "enumeration" or, children in attendance for District
#1 as of September 1,
was 78 students. Recording 41 boys and 37 girls. (It is interesting
often times the balance of male to female students in a one room
by the closeness of the schools to the actual farms. For the
it had to be a short and safe walk in order for a girl to attend).
was also in September of 1857 that it was resolved that McGuffies's
"readers" and "spellers" alone be used in
all the common schools of the districts.
above Norman S. Morton Family & Morton School history was
Kim Butler Histed -
- If you have further
questions on the history of the early one room schools in the
- Shelby, Ohio area,
or if you would like to add to the page, please email us.
© 2003 Morton One Room School Historical Society. Inc.