The 110th, Ohio

From the 7 July 1870 issue of
Stillwater Valley Gazette

Submitted by Ken Clark
Email: [email protected]
San Antonio, Texas

The following article was transcribed from the 7 July 1870 issue of Stillwater Valley Gazette (Covington, Ohio). Exact transcription.

The 110th, Ohio.

The reunion of the 110th Ohio will come off at Piqua, to-day; ---and we trust the boys, veterans they are, may have a fine time.

This gallant regiment was raised in Miami, Darke, Clark and Greene counties, the first Colonel being J. Warren Keifer, and W.N. Foster, Lt. Colonel. During much of their time of service, Col K. commanded a brigade, leaving the regiment in charge of Col. Foster, of course. The regiment went into Camp Piqua about the 1st day of September 1862, and organized. Mustered into the U.S. Service October 3, 1862. Left Camp Piqua, October 19, and went into camp at Parkersburg, W. Va. After a stay of only two weeks, the regiment proceeded via B.&O. R.R. to Clarksburg, and remained there two weeks;--then to New Creek, and encamped there about two weeks. From New Creek the regiment marched to Moorfield, via Burlington and Petersburg. The regiment was divided at Moorfield, and the different portions were marched in different directions. The main portion reached Winchester, January 1, 1863, and was assigned to the 8th Army Corps. In June, the regiment was first under fire, and engaged a portion of Lee's army at Kernstown. Being overpowered by numbers, it cut its was through, and marched to Harper's Ferry. In July, the regiment was assigned to the 3rd Army Corps, and marched in pursuit of Lee's army, skirmishing on the way, reaching Fox's Ford, on the Rappahannock, in August. After varied fortunes, it took part in the battle of Locust Grove, in November, 1863, losing five killed and twenty wounded.

In March, 1864, the 110th became part of the 6th Army Corps, and took part in the battle of the Wilderness, In May, losing 19 killed, 88 wounded and 11 missing. Afterwards it was engaged in forays, and lost 5 killed and 34 wounded at Coal Harbor. In Maryland, at Monocracy, it was in hot engagement, losing 4 killed, 74 wounded, 2 captured and 50 missing. After a short rest at Baltimore, the regiment again went into active operations in Virginia. On the 29th of August, it completely routed the army at Bolivar Heights. In the battle of Winchester, in September, it among the first to occupy the Heights; and captured artillery and prisoners at Fisher's Hill. In fact, to the end of the war, this regiment was distinguished for bravery, energy and usefulness. At the presentation of captured flags, to General Mead, having captured more flags than any other regiment in the 6th Corps, it was selected as a guard of honor to escort them to the General Headquarters. During its term of service, the regiment was in twenty-one engagements, and sustained the loss of seven hundred and ninety-five men, in killed, wounded and missing. It was mustered out at Washington City, June 25, 1865, and discharged at Columbus, Ohio. Company G of the 110th was raised, to a great extent, in Newberry and Newton townships, by Capt. J.C. Ullery, of Covington, C.M. Gross and George W. Miller, Lieutenants. There will probably be a good turnout at Piqua, of the veterans; and we are glad to see from the programme in their papers, that the hospitable people of our neighbor city are prepared to give them a hearty reception.

"The brave old soldier, ne'er despise,
nor count him as a s'ranger;
Remember! he's the country's guard,
In the day and hour of danger!"