Cemeteries of North Bloomfield Twp., Morrow County, OH
Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society
Morrow County, Ohio
North Bloomfield Twp. Cemeteries
Published in 1989
North Bloomfield Township was originally a part of the "Congress Lands Survey, 1799-1804" and was under the jurisdiction of Richland County from 1813 until 1848, the year that Morrow County was created.
Most of the cemetery names and locations were provided by the results of a federally funded project in the 1930's, known as the "WPA Veterans Grave Registration Project". It was conducted in cooperation with the American Legion to identify the names of all veterans of the armed services buried in Morrow County and to locate their graves. A copy of the WPA survey is in the Recorder's office in the Morrow County Courthouse, Mount Gilead, Ohio. Baggs and Sorrick Cemeteries were not included in the WPA Survey. In addition, over the years, volunteers from the Morrow County Genealogical Society have physically walked through every known cemetery area and, in most cases, were able to record the tombstone inscriptions and locations.
NOTE: Cemetery names marked with * could not be located by the compilers of the "Tombstone Inscriptions" book.
1. *Baggs Cemetery
Possibly located in the south one-half of the northeast quarter of Section 12. Information from a card in Morrow County's Recorder's Office from T. D. Marlow, 137 35th St., NE, Canton, Ohio states: Baggs, James, bur 4 Feb 1827, veteran of the Revolutionary War. Baggs, John, s/o James, bur 23 Oct 1863, later moved to Blooming Grove Cemetery, veteran of War of 1812.
2. Blooming Grove Cemetery
Located in Section 11, northwest of the village of Blooming Grove, 0.1 mile west of County Road 20, south side of Township Road 8. Size: 2.84 acres. From the 1880 History of Morrow County: "Within it's limits sleep many of the pioneers of the country."
3. Bortner Cemetery, aka Peace Reformed and Peace United Church of Christ
Located in the northwest quarter of Section 34, on County Road 57, 0.2 miles east of County Road 46. Size: 0.85 acre.
4. Dye Cemetery
Located in the northwest quarter of Section 17, 3/8 mile east of County Road 40 and 3/8 mile north of State Route 288. Size 0.01 acre. Listed by Daniel L. Rhodebeck in 1976.
5. Ebenezer (Methodist) Cemetery
Located in the southeast quarter of Section 20, on the west side of State Route 19, north of the intersection with Township Road 49. Adjacent to the Ebenezer Methodist Church, organized about 1835. Size: 1.5 acres. Inscriptions copied 31 October 1982 by Daniel L. Rhodebeck.
6. Garverick Cemetery
Located in the southeast corner of Section 32, at the northwest corner of the intersection of State Route 19 and County Road 29. Size: 0.11 acre. Listed by Bart and Del Rigdon Silver in 1969 and check by Daniel L. Rhodebeck in October 1982.
7. Kisling Cemetery
Located in the northeast quarter of Section 24, at the southwest corner of the intersection of County Road 37 and County Road 50. As of 1989, "No evidence now; no stones visible."
8. Methodist Cemetery
In Section 31, north of County Road 29 on a knob with myrtle and elm trees around, near the intersection of Towhship Road 58 (Williams Road). Remains of approximately twelve graves were removed maybe around 1904. Grounds pastured over. Interesting story in the book.
9. *Possum Hollow Cemetery
Located in the southeast corner of Section 26, at the northwest corner of the intersection of County Road 57 and Township Road 56. "Pastured Over" from the WPA records.
10. Sorrick (or Serrick) Cemetery
Located in the northeast quarter of Section 26, north of Township Road 49, near the intersection of Township Road 56 (Miller Road). Size: 0.03 acre. No evidence of stones.
11. United Brethren Cemetery
Located in the northeast corner of Section 33, at the southwest corner of the intersection of County Road 46 and County Road 57. Size: 0.25 acre. Per WPA records, "Abandoned. Elm tree marks small boy's grave."
12. United Presbyterian Cemetery
Located in the northeast quarter of Section 14, east of County Road 20, south of State Route 288, north of Ashland Oil Company's pumping station. Size: 0.18 acre. Listed by Daniel L. Rhodebeck on 2 October 1993. Maybe four stones at that time. Interesting story about this cemetery's church in the book.