The first white settlers were Elihu Clary, Henry Adams and William Smith who arrived in the township 15 Jun 1815.
Other early settlers, and their dates of arrival, were:
|Alexander Pierce 1816.||Simon Raymond 1816.|
|Newell Adams 1816.||Alden Adams ca 1816.|
|Thaddeus Raymond 1816.||Joel Clark 1816.|
|Daniel Mack 1816.||James Ashley 1816.|
|Eli Nelson 1816.||Thomas Tillson 1816.|
|Isaac Sutton 1817.||Levi R. Sutton 1817.|
|Elias Hughes 1817.||Elijah Clary 1817.|
|Joseph Ruggles 1817.||Charles Gardner 1817.|
|Richard Gardner 1817.||Richardson Eaton 1818.|
|James Valentine 1818.||Wyatt Cook 1818.|
|William Best ca 1818.||Arunah Eaton 1819.|
|Rev. Harry O. Sheldon 1819.||Thomas Parker 1820.|
|Luther Hodges 1820.||Moses Smith ca 1820.|
|Alden Pierce 1821.||Marcus Johnson 1822.|
The first couple to be married was George Douglass and Pearley C. Clary on 8 Feb 1820.
The first birth was that of a son to Elihu and Pearly Clary on 12 Oct 1816.
The first death was that of an infant son to Levi R. and Catharine Sutton on 20 Nov 1820.
Daniel Mack built the first frame house in 1820.
Joseph Ruggles built an addition to the Tillson cabin in the fall of 1817 which he opened as a tavern under the name of "The Buck Horn."
The first apple orchard was set out by Henry Adams in the spring of 1817.
Moses C. Sanders opened the first store at Macksville ca 1820.
Dr. Sanders was the first doctor in the township.
In the summer of 1818, Nancy Adams, daughter of Bildad Adams, kept the first school in the township. She taught in a log house located in Macksville.
In the fall of 1818, a new log school house was built, and Jonas Bonard, of Bronson, taught school there, with about 50 students enrolled.
In the summer of 1822, an academy was established at Macksville under the name of "Luna Academic Society of Peru, Huron County." The first annual meeting was held on the first Tuesday in August, 1822, at which
the following were elected as the board of trustees: Rev. Alvan Coe,
president; Dr. Moses C. Sanders, Dr. William Gardner, Major Eben Guthrie, and Robert S. Southgate. Harry O. Sheldon was elected clerk. The school opened the first Monday in December, 1822, with Amos B. Harris as principal teacher. In a notice published in the Sandusky Clarion, 13 Nov 1822, the following terms of tuition were given:
For orthography, reading and writing...........................$2.00.
Same with arithmetic and English grammar...................2.50.
Geography, rhetoric and composition.............................3.00.
Higher mathematics, Latin and Greek.............................4.00.
The first religious meeting in Peru was held at the house of Elijah Clary on a Sunday in November, 1817.
The first post office in the township was established in 1818 with Thomas Tillson as postmaster.
Daniel Mack built the first mill in 1816.
Charles and Richard Gardner built a saw mill on the Huron river ca 1820.
The poll book of an election in Peru for State and County officers, held 10 Oct 1825, contained the names of 12 electors.
The Census of Peru in 1827 showed 99 white, male inhabitants over the age of 21 living there.
1840 Census-- 1,998
1880 Census-- 1,194