Some other early settlers, and the years of their arrival in Greenwich, were:
|Varney Pearce 1818.||Esbon Husted 1818.|
|Cyrus Mead 1818.||Ephraim F. Barker 1818.|
|David W. Briggs 1818.||Upton Clark 1818.|
|Town Clark 1818.||Benjamin Kniffen 1818.|
|Mordecai W. Jenney 1818.||Obadiah Jenney ca 1818.|
|John Mead 1819.||Henry Washburne 1819.|
|Hiram Townsend 1819.||Benjamin Rusco 1820.|
|John Banks 1820.||Thaddeus S. Fancher 1820.|
|Daniel G. Fancher 1820.||Abel F. Eaton 1820.|
|Joseph Washburne 1821.||Jeremiah Rusco 1821.|
|Solomon Doud 1821.||Hiram Doud 1821.|
|James Mitchell 1821.||Joshua Banks ca 1821.|
|T. B. White ca 1821.||Robert O. Saulsbury ca 1821.|
|Eleazer L. Saulsbury ca 1821.||John Jenney ca 1823.|
|James Kniffen 1824.||Charles Brady 1824.|
|Ezra Smith 1824.||Joshua Frost 1824.|
|Willis R. Smith 1824.||Alanson Sutton 1824.|
|Aranson Sutton 1824.||Brundage Knapp 1825.|
|Cyrus G. Mead 1825.||Shadrack H. Reed 1825.|
|Richard Marshall 1827.||Benjamin Belding ca 1827.|
|Henry G. Washburne 1830.||Walter Washburne 1833.|
Henry Carpenter, father of the first born, was the first to die in Greenwich in November, 1818. He was buried in a coffin made of hewed, black walnut planks. Hannah Barker, the second to die, died from child birth 23 May 1819.
David W. Briggs and Alzina, daughter of E.F. and Hannah Barker, were the first couple to marry in August, 1819. Squire Rundel Palmer of Fitchville officiated.
The first log cabin was built in 1817, near the northeast corner of the township. Henry Carpenter built the first permanent residence, a log house, later in 1817. The first frame house was built by Joseph Washburne in 1827, and the first brick house was built at the center by Cyrus G. Mead.
The first tavern was built at the center by Benjamin Kniffen, who also had a store there.
Ezra Smith opened the first store in the northeast corner of the township in 1824. He sold goods there for four years, and then moved to Peru (Macksville) where he continued in the business for 12 more years.
Many of the orchards in Greenwich were planted with trees grown from seeds sown by Alzina Barker (Mrs. Briggs) in 1818.
Ephraim Barker and Varney Pearce brought trees from Norwalk in 1819. These produced the first apples to ripen and to be picked in the township.
The first mill was built by Joseph Washburne in 1823 near the location where the Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati and Indianapolis railroad crossed the Vermillion river. It was both a saw and a grist mill.
The first fourth of July celebration was organized by Ephraim Barker, Solomon David and others in 1823. It was held at the center and nearly all of the people in the township, and many from adjoining settlements, attended. David W. Briggs, the famous hunter, supplied the venison for the dinner, and Ephraim Barker cooked it.
The first Quakers came to Greenwich in 1818. They organized the first society for religious worship in the township in 1823, at a meeting held at the home of Joseph Washburne. The society then consisted of Joseph Washburne and his three sons: Benjamin, Henry, and James R.; J. L. Frost ; Henry Carpenter; and John Jenney.
The first school was taught by James Nixon in the winter of 1820-1821. It was held in an abandoned log house, one mile south of the center. About 1825, a school house was built at the center, and Tracy Case was the first to teach there.
Dr. Richard Morton was the first resident physician in Greenwich. He came about 1825, at first practicing with Dr. Moses C. Saunders of Peru.
Lovena Mitchell, who came to the township in 1821 with her husband James Mitchell, before any physicians were there, served as a midwife to the settlement. In the course of her administrations, it was said that she often traveled alone and by foot at night, bearing a torch, regardless of the weather.
The first ground set aside for a cemetery was in lot 24, section four, in land owned by H. G. Mead. Varney Pearce, acting as his agent, allowed the stablishment of a cemetery at this location about 1824, but when Mead came to the township later, he denied the privilege.
The first mail was carried through the township in 1829, and for three years after, by Robert Inscho. Benjamin Kniffen was the first postmaster.
1880 Census-- 1,376