Gibisonville-Laurel Township News Absracts

Dust in the Attic



Gibisonville was laid out by Samuel and William Gibison in 1840. In 1883 there were about 60 inhabitants and W. O. Dawson was the doctor. Businesses included a general store, kept by T.D. Wood, one blacksmith, a wagon shop, nursery, shoe shop and a post office. There were also two churches and a village school.

Laurel Township, Ohio in Hocking County

The first settlement was made in 1812 by three men: Mr. Smith and two brothers named Koons. They moved here to avoid the draft of the War of 1812 and located
on Laurel Creek. Other early settlers were George Kinser, Robert McBroom, Josiah Cantwell, John White, John Fox, Daniel Shesler and Mr. Grim and their families. John White had a mill to produce gunpowder located west of present Gibisonville. One of the first settler deaths was John White's son, killed by the explosion of the powder mill. The first school house was built in 1829 on Laurel Creek, with Robert McBroom being the first teacher. This log school house also served as the polling place for the first election. The first mill, a water run sawmill, was built in 1828 by Levi McCullon on Laurel Creek. The first store was operated by Kennedy Linn.

Hocking Sentinel,  September 25, 1890:

                                                                          John Krinn Has A Terrible Incounter
                                                                                             With Four Masked Men at His Home Near Gibisonville Between
                                                                                                          the Hours of Eleven and Twelve O'Clock
                                                                                               On Last Tuesday Night Which Results in His Death
                                                                                                                        No Clue to the Murders

The most horrible murder that has ever darkened the fair fame of Hocking County, except the celebrated and wholesale murder of the Weldon family, which occurred June 22, 1877, was committed on last Tuesday night, ten miles south west from Logan and about a mile from Gibisonville. John Krinn was murdered in cold blood in the presence of his aged wife and their granddaughter a girl of 16 years of age by four men who forced an entrance into a room used by the aged couple as a sitting and bedroom. They had lightened a lamp and pulled down the window blinds before any of the occupants of the room were awakened. Of it Mrs. Krinn told her story to the Sentinel man as follows: "We retired late and were soon fast asleep. The first thing I remember upon being awakened was four men in the room who wore masks over their faces, two of whom had clubs in their hands and all the men haf black hands, don't know if they wore gloves or not. Pap (Mr. Krinn) asked them what they wanted. One of the men hit him with something that looked like a club; would not be sure what it was and ordered him to lay down. He jumped out of the bed and made an attempt to get his revolver, which was in a bureau draw near at hand and then all four of the men began to strike him and they had a terrible fight which lasted for some time, I can't tell how long it was but it seemed and age to me; I attempted to help Pap, when one of the men struck me and threw something in my eyes which almost set me wild with pain for a while and because I I would not keep quiet they took and throwed the bed clothes over my head and held me down and choked me until I became unconscious  for awhile. When I came to myself again the men was standing over me and said if I moved he would kill me. Pap lay in the center of the room; every once in a while I could hear him moan, but I was afraid to move to go to him. One man was standing by my granddaughter, Maggie's bed and I could hear the other two men upstairs. I hear them break open one of the chests and I knew they would soon find the money that Pap kept there, which amounted to forty-five dollars in money and a  certificate for fifty dollars, which he had deposited in one of the Logan banks. They turned everything up side down and scattered the contents of the chests all over the floor; cannot say how long the men stayed up stairs, but it seemed a long time to me. When they came down stairs all four of the men went away together without a word, could not recognize the men and  have no idea who they were.
    Miss Maggie Walker said, " I am sixteen years old and live with my grandparents. The first intimation I had that any thing was wrong was when grandpa asked the men what they wanted in the house. I did not get fairly awake until grandpap jumped out of bed and I was frightened almost to death; did not know what to do. The men struck grandpap several times in the head, arms and back; think he got up two or three times after he had been knocked down; think two of the men  had clubs but could not be sure about it. Two of the men were large and two were small; they had masks on their faces and their hands were black. After they knocked grandpap down the last time one of the men threatened to kill me if I didn't tell where the money was kept. I told him and two of the men went up stairs and when they found the chest locked, took an ax and mashed in the top of the chest; think they were in the house about one hour. After the men had gone I went out and gave the alarm by ringing the bell, which was answered by Mr. Cupp, who wanted to know what was the matter and I hollowed  to him to go after the doctor that grandpap was dying. I could not tell who the men were and that is all I know about it.
   G. W. Brehm, J. P. in the absence of Coroner Heft, held an inquest upon the body. Drs. Campbell, Mansfield and Miller preformed the autopsy which showed a fracture of the skull over six inches long besides several  wounds on other parts of his body which showed, beyond a doubt that the wounds were caused by a billy. Death was caused by the fracture of the skull and concussion of the brain. The old gentleman lived almost six hours after receiving the injuries.
    John Krinn was in the 75th year of his age, his wife being but a few months younger than her husband. Mr. Krinn was a German by birth and was a lock maker by trade and was a well-to-do farmer, loved and respected by his neighbors; a man who attended to i own business and was absolutely as unoffensive as a child. He has been industrious and has worked hard and and the high state of cultivation of his farm is an example of what can be accomplished in the Hocking hills. The Krinn homestead is situated upon a sloping hill side in the midst of a fine orchard with trees full of golden fruit; about a quarter of a mile from Logan and Gibisonville road; and two hundred yards from the road leading to Blackjack. The house has two stories with two rooms up and five rooms downstairs and a porch facing the north. There was no trace left by the assassins and how they effected their entrance into the house is not known. The commissioners of this county have offered a reward of $ 300 for the arrest and conviction of one of the four murderers or $ 500 for the arrest and conviction of all four.


Hocking Sentinel October 9, 1890:
                                                                                                        The Krinn Murder

Nothing new has been developed in the Krinn murder. The public, and particularly those in the neighborhood where the murder was committed are very much excited and send for publication a shower of letters accusing the officers of negligence. As far as we can learn the officers have done all that was possible. The relatives of the murdered man have offered $500.00 additional reward for the apprehension of the criminals.


                                                                                                         "Murder Will Out"

Three of the supposed murders of John Krinn, who was brutally murdered, are in the Jail at this place, waiting the action of the Grand Jury. One of the suspicioned is still at large, together with the other three that are supposed to have taken an active part, are also still at large. As soon as they are proven to be guilty, if the law don't deal properly, Mob Law should be enacted. About 300 witnesses have been sworn , on the Krinn murder case, to report to the Grand Jury.

Hocking Sentinel, December 4, 1890:

    Last Sunday evening, Deputy sheriff Davey, assisted Napier, and Hiles Chilcote, arrested Ham Iles and Dern Mills, on the charge of being connected with the murder of John Krinn, the well known and well-to-do farmer living near Gibisonville, who was murdered Monday night, September 22nd for money. They were lodged in the county jail at this place and the grand jury has been acting on the case for two days. There has been 360 witnesses sworn , and more served subpoena's.  The result will be made known in a few days.
    The men that are working up the case are positive they have the right ones evidence is against them, they are the same parties that were arrested before.
    Blackburn, the man who was arrested at the same time as the others, and retained for stealing, is also charged with having a finger in the horrible deed. It is reported on the streets that he made a confession, but the officials will not state whether he did or not.
    A man by the name of Black is still at large.
    At 3:30 o'clock this afternoon, James Black, the man who is charged with having a hand in the murder, was lodged in jail. He was making his escape, when he was arrested. He was on the road going west in Pickaway County.
   He was twenty miles from where he took supper last night. His son started out this morning in a wagon, with some apples, which was followed by Dective Krieder and two others and after following the wagon for quite a while, Black was going through the woods until he passed beyond the county where he was known, when last he came out to get into the wagon and then was in the hands  of Dective Kreider, who ushered him to Logan.


Journal Gazette,  October 3,1903


    W. F. Hood of Thurston, made our city a flying visit one evening last week.
    Mr. Fred Krinn of Circleville, was visiting relatives and the scenes of other years in our city

this week.
   Miss Nada Whitcraft after a brief absence at Columbus returned home last Saturday.
   George Snyder our village blacksmith is on the sick list.
   Dr. W.T. Walker has been granted a pension of six dollars per month dating back one year.
   Now that corn cutting is over several farmers are taking advantage of the solid roads to haul their winter supply of fuel.
   Mr. Noah Beougher and wife of near Logan passed through our city last week to visit his

brother and family on the west side of the county.
   Dr. J. F. Miller has been on the sick list for several days so much so to be unable to visit his patients.
   James Glenn is on the sick list. Dr. Schwenke of Rockbridge is attending him.
   Mrs. J. S. Toumine visited at Mr. Isaac Johnson's near Morris Chapel while the reverend was

at conference.
   Mr. Henry Saters and wife of near Ewing, were visitors in our city last Thursday the guests of

Dr. Miller and wife.
   Rev. Toumine started to his new field of labor for this conference year, last Thursday



Logan Democratic Sentential,January 11, 1917:


    Oliver Finefrock and Mr. Snyder have moved into the Charles Keller property on West Main

   Ray Ziegler was a guest of his brother-in-law Tom Pierce of Creola the past week.
   Carl Whitcraft and his wife were recent guests of Wm. Lentz and family.
   District Superintendent Kreider spent a few days last week at the Teachers' Convention at Columbus.
   Mrs. David Wylie and Velva Brashares were Logan shoppers, Thursday.
   Jesse Ziegler was an Enterprise caller, Tuesday morning.
   Miss Nada Whitcraft of Columbus is spending the week with her brother, W. C. Whitcraft and

   C. F. Krieder called on W. T. Brashares


Logan Democratic Sentinel, April 16, 1906:

Gibisonville Society News


    Protracted meeting finished at Pine Grove last Monday night after being in progress a little over a week without any conversions being added.

    Miss Mazie Lama is the proud recipient of a couple of white rabbits which were promised to her by her cousin, Mr. Edwards, of Rockbridge, one of which has the misfortune of being blind, which obstacle is somewhat overcome by the kind regard his mate has in bestowing upon him the greater part of her attention by following him wherever he goes and when scenting danger leads him back to the house by a stick, straw or anything she can pick up suitable for the purpose, which she performs by placing end in his mouth and taking the other end in her own.

    A few nights ago while George Young and Jake Bainter, Jr., were returning from church a light appeared in a field just outside the road and supposing that Joe Huffines who was going their road had just lighted his lantern and turned off to shun the mud, and as it seemed to be moving in the direction they were intending to go they followed and tried to over take it but the faster they walked that much faster it seemed to travel so that they neither gained nor lost ground and that they concluded that it was just a trick of Mr. Huffines. They followed until striking a pine thicket of under brush. This led to a bench of rocks where it disappeared in a canyon below which had the boys continue to follow, they would have been precipitated over a fall of about 90 feet.

    Turning they retraced their steps till they got through the brush when they became bewildered and stumbled around in the dark for several hours without a knowledge of whither they traveling, when they struck an old house partly filled with hay in which without ceremony they took lodging until morning. When they found themselves they were no more than a quarter of mile from the place where they first saw that light.

    Lew Keister was seen on this ridge the other evening moving north through a snowstorm with his cap turned so as to cover his right ear and with his left hand covering the other he was heading toward Jake Bainters.

    Bert Vorhees is practicing on violin. He has already learned to play several pieces, and is now practicing on the well-known piece “ the Girl I Left Behind Me”.

    The Misses Flossie Bainter and Lucy Keller paid Mrs. Margie Neff a visit by whom they were entertained a couple of days last week.

    Mr. Barney Zeigler is the happy possessor of a newborn son, which makes him the father of 19 children, the most of whom are boys and girls.



Democratic Sentinel April 26, 1906

Gibisonville Society News

    Mr. Robert Moore, as an old soldier of this place passed away Monday morning.

    Miss Sarah Peterson has returned home.

    Rachel Rouse, who has been visiting in Logan, returned home.

    Mrs. Joe Brashers is on the sick list.

    Florence Keister is visiting in Lancaster.
    James Keller and lady friend visited his father and sisters Easter.

    Berd Bell visited his mother several days this week.

    J. A. Cupp spent Easter with his family.

    Mrs. S. Ogle is reported better.

    Geo. Evans and wife were Logan shoppers Wednesday.

    Mrs. Ellen Evans visited her daughter, Mrs. T. Hockman.

    Chas. Kline, of this place, and Carrie Bauman, of Columbus, were married last week.

    Mrs. J. A. Cupp and daughter were Logan shoppers Thursday.

    Leona Burgoon, who has been at home for a couple of weeks, returned to Logan.

   The little infant of Sol Kline’s was buried Sunday afternoon.

    Misses Cora Kline and Pearl Kuhn were Logan shoppers Saturday.




©Dust In The Attic@Lonadawn
Updated  February 4, 2014

     ©Lonadawn 2000 - 2017

All Graphics and Materials at ©Dust in the Attic are The Property of ©Dust in the Attic@
Lonadawn. Coping of Materials without the Permission of the Owner is Prohibited.

Redistributed for Profit of any Materials are Prohibited and Violators will be Subject
to Copyright Laws.