Adelphi-Colerain Township History
Adelphi, Colerain Township,
1, 2 and 3, 1954.
Its Founders of 1804
Adelphi's Old Covered
August 11, 1855, specifications were written up for a bridge to be
built to across
Salt Creek . The project was given to John Karshner and his partner,
Construction of the bridge was started in the fall of 1855. The stone
for the abutments were
quarried near Laurelville. After the construction had begun, the work
went along very well
until one day in November. It seems that on November 20th , they were
preparing to raising
of the bridge. John Karshner was working below the bridge and
John Cherry stepped in to
replace him . When the bridge was being raised, the timbers
, some striking John Cherry
and fatally injuring him. Early in the winter of 1855 the
With the coming of the automobile and its accompanying
the old bridge
became a danger spot. On rainy days it was common
see one or two wagons, or other
horse drawn vehicles parked in the bridge. It was decided that the
bridge should have some of its
side boards cut down, and exposing the lattice work, and
admitting more light.
Although for many the old bridge held pleasant memories, there were
others who disliked it.
Several attempts were made to destroy the bridge. After enduring all of
this, it was still in perfect
condition when it was replace by a structure. The
wooden bridge in its picturesque setting
was an ideal subject for both amateur and professional
photographers who treasure in their collections
photos of the old Adelphi Bridge.
When it was learned that the bridge was to be taken away, local
citizens desiring to save
the old bridge got up a petition with the hope that they
preserve it. It had been originally
planned to build a roadside rest in that general area and
the famous old bridge with its nostalgic
memories was desired as a shelter house for the park. Despite
all efforts by the people of Adelphi,
the beautiful old covered bridge across Salt Creek was burned
June 16, 1954. Peace to its
ashes and those of its builders.
And so closes another chapter of living men who took
things by their
patience, craftsmanship and love for natural beauty, created something
near and dear to their
children. Time marches on in its endless cycle, while
progress, remorseless and uncomprehending,
destroy the heritage of the past. Alas, why should these
The bridge was one hundred and sixteen feet long and 16 feet wide. The
timber to be White or Burr oak, clear of knot or crack or wind shaken.
The pins to be of Burr
oak two inches thick.
Mrs. Donna Karshner.
K & A Railroad
was early in October, 1882 when the good people of Adelphi
the prospects of being a railroad town. It was October when
equipment arrived to start
the construction on the new railroad. It was the desire of
the promoters and builders to connect
the coal field of the Hocking Valley and with the
north and south lines of the Norfolk and
Western at Kingston.
The following appeared in the Adelphi Border News issue of
December 8, 1882,edited bu
D. F. Shriner.
Cincinnati, Hocking Valley
and Huntington Railroad
Work has begun again on this road and from present appearances, it will
completed at an early day. The part of the road from Kingston to
Floodwood, is under
the management of Messrs. John Karshner & Co. who
already contracted or sublet
the construction to a man by the name of Jeremiah Arn, a man who has
experience as a railroad builder. He has already put a large gang of
graders to work between
here and Kingston. We have never for a moment that the road would
ultimately be built, though
we felt unable, until now , to determine just how soon. It was and is
our conviction , that as
soon as it was gotten out of the hands of Niles and
in those of such practical business
men as John Karshner , that it would not be long until it was
"We shall keep our readers posted on the progress
work, from time to time, as
it shall be of interest."
in 1855 the railroad was completed from Kingston to Adelphi
direction of Mr. John Karshner, the builder. Robert Swinehart, Adelphi
attorney, and son-in-law
of John Karshner, handled the legal affairs of the railroad. It has
been said that the grade for the
railroad was partially completed down Salt Creek Valley to a
point beyond South Bloomingville ,
but the tract never got beyond Adelphi or the north end of Mineral
Springs grounds near the
old mineral springs.
It was a single tract line with no turnable, hence the engine went
forward to Kingston
and backed to Adelphi. The train made two trips daily from Adelphi to
Kingston, making a stop
at Hallsville each time it went back and forth. Once each month the
engine "Old Susan" as she
was called made a trip to Chilicothe railroad shop, over the Norfolk
& Western tract, for a boiler
inspection and general checkup.
The railroad station for Adelphi was located one-forth mile north of
the village overlooking
the Salt Creek Valley to the north and above the old covered
bridge. Near the station D. H.Strouse
had a general store and lumber, post , tanbark and whooppole
yard, where he bought and shipped
A Whooppole is a yard
where poles were split to make hoops for barrels and
as this was the methods used
for shipping purchases.
Adelphi School in 1925. Superintendent, Mr. W. H. Barton; Principal,
Mrs. W. H. Barton.
graduates that year were all
boys: Ray Kitchen, Floyd Stewart, Maynard Tomlison, and Edward Weston.
earliest schools were private schools. James A. Webster
school in Adelphi. A log house, which had been built for a
private home, was used at a very
early date as a church and school near Hallsville. The first school
house in this territory was
built between two little streams east of Hallsville in 1827.
was succeeded by a frame
school house between Hallsville and the first stream
and on the south side of the road.
This, in turn, was succeeded by the present school house in
The first school house in Adelphi was built in the south end
town on what would
later become the Lutheran church lot and graveyard on Concord
In 1844 or 1845 a brick school was built on the corner of
and Main Streets
(at the back of the lot on which the town hall was subsequently built)
, and it was the only
one of its kind built for many years. It contain one room and
cost about three hundred dollars.
Thomas Armstrong was the first teacher.
In 1870 the growth of the town made a new building necessary .It was
located on Market
Street , west of Concord. The new building was built of brick with
stone trimmings and cost
nine thousand, seven hundred and twenty dollars, and
fifty-eight cents. The building was
two stories high and contained two school rooms, cloak rooms, halls,
etc. on each floor. School
was begun in this building , November 1870, with Alanson Newman
as the principal,. Mr. I. M..
Stewart followed , continuing three years . He was then succeeded by
In the township at large there were eight school houses: Bull
Creek, Abernathy, Rock Hill,
Oak Lane, Walnut Valley, Dresbach, Hallsville (2 rooms) and
Brimestone. Bricks from the old
Abernathy and school and the Oak Lane school were used in the
construction of the music room
in the present Centralia school.
Early teachers were Ida Belle Walton, Maggie Cosgrove, Lucie Holderman
and Minnie Roult.
Mrs. Donna Karshner and Mrs. Don
Pictures were donated by
In The Attic@Lonadawn
February 27, 2017
©Lonadawn 2000 - 2017
Graphics and Materials at ©Dust in the Attic are The
Property of ©Dust in the Attic@
Lonadawn. Coping of Materials without the Permission of the Owner is
Redistributed for Profit of
any Materials are Prohibited and Violators will be