OCPS Jeopardized Cemetery Report - Crossview, Cuyahoga County

OHIO CEMETERY PRESERVATION SOCIETY

OHIO CEMETERIES JEOPARDY REPORT

 

 

 

 

Mission
Objectives
What's
New
Meeting
Schedule
Restoration
Projects
Cemetery
Legislation
Jeopardized
Cemetery
Cemeteries
(By County)
Membership
Resources
Links
Contact
OCPS

 

Crossview Cemetery
Independence, Cuyahoga County

History of Ownership

On 1 October 1853, Michael and Katrinia Alber granted the Trustees of the Protestant Evangelical Society ¼ acre parcel from Lot 17, Track 2 in Independence Township for use as burial ground forever.

The original deed is currently at Western Reserve Historical Society.

13 July 1883 the Trustees of the Protestant Evangelical Society granted ¼ acre of Lot 17,Track 2 to the Trustees of Independence Township.

12 June 1926 the western portion of Independence Township petitions to become a Village.

26 Feb 1927 Seven Hills became incorporated as a Village.

Many articles have appeared through the years in the Cleveland Plain Dealer describing the terrible looking burial site. In 1992 the new owner of the house next to the cemetery tried to bring the City to do the right thing but it obviously didn’t work for long.

In June 2000 Judy O’Donnell got on her soap box and decided to get something done about Crossview Cemetery for good. Letters were written, but all she got was the run around. In Aug 2001 she really got upset. Cement construction trucks were parked on the Cemetery while doing work for the lady who lives behind the cemetery. The police were call twice and Judy personally went to City Hall and complained. She also appeared before City Council and asked what was going to be done about Crossview Cemetery. Their answer was, "We need to address the legal issues." Judy waited. In Nov 2001 Council said she would have to wait for the new Council to take office. More waiting. Judy called new Council members and waited. Finally 30 June 2002 Mary Kay Wisnieski and Judy met with Council President and Law Director at the cemetery.

They were told that the City of Seven Hills did indeed own the Cemetery and it was their responsibility to maintain it.

A cleanup session was held 8 Aug.; a few dedicated members of Cuyahoga Valley Genealogy Society were there to lend a hand. They recorded the Inventory of markers, cleaned markers, and cleared the grounds of leaves and debris to uncover gravestone fragments.

If you have any questions, ideas, or desire to help please contact Judy at (216) 520-8748 or E-mail (jodsewod@aol.com)

This article appeared in "Footsteps to the Past", the newsletter of Cuyahoga Valley Genealogy Society and was contributed by OCPS Executive Committee member, Judy O’Donnell

If you have any further questions or want to tell us about an Ohio cemetery in jeopardy, please contact us at ohcps@aol.com

 

 

 

 

Return to Top of Page | Return to Home Page | Returned to Previous Page

Copyright © 2000, 2003 Ohio Cemetery Preservation Society (OCPS)