Dutch Cemetery is located on Barrere Road off of
State Route 138 just above Mt. Zion Cemetery if traveling west from
The reading was done September, 2004. Time and weather have not been
kind to this cemetery. There are still a few illegible fieldstones
standing in this cemetery, but its overall condition is pretty dismal.
The grass is kept mowed, and it is free of trash. Parking is off-road
along Barrere Road. Along side of this cemetery is a private driveway
to a farm and residence. There is also a bit of walk from the road to
The land is rolling and very peaceful as the cemetery is surrounded by
farm and pasture land which includes a farm pond with ducks swimming
History¹. The cemetery was once apart of the
Evangelical Lutheran and Reformed Society Church which was established
in 1817. The majority of the members came from the Shenandoah Valley of
Virginia. By 1842 the Lutherans separated with the German Reformed, and
the German Reformed members moved to Mt. Zion, and the members of the
Lutheran faith moved to Danville, Ohio.
Additional land was given to the church and graveyard by George and
Susanna Caley and Philip, Sr. and Anna Wilkin in 1821. No church
building exists today.
Believed to be buried in this cemetery are Philip, Sr. and Anna
Wilkin, and George Wilkin, a trustee of the German Evangelical Lutheran
and Reformed Society Church.