A History and Biographical Cyclopaedia of Butler County, Ohio
Ross Township: Pages 455 - 459
Next page | Butler County Ohio | Cyclopeadia index page | Previous page

from 1828 to 1831; Samuel SMITH, from 1831 to 1835; Peter GOLLIDAY, from 1835 to 1839; A. A. GILLILAND, from 1839 to 1859; I. M. HUGHES, from 1859 to 1870; J. B. MORTON, from 1870 to 1872; John DANIELS, from 1872 to 1873; David R. MOORE, from 1873 to 1877; John HAIGHT, from 1878 to 1881. The present membership of this Church is about one hundred and sixty persons. In 1876 the elders of the Church were Judge Nehemiah WADE, Thomas BURNS, I. A. BOAL, all of whom are dead; William SIMS, who has removed to a different neighborhood; George W. DICK, I. W. INDERSON, H. W. SCOTT, N. WADE, Jr., and N. C. WADE, all living. Trustees of the Church for the same year were Thomas BOAL, I. R. ANDERSON, George W. DICK, and N. WADE, Jr.,who are also the present officers. The Rev. Thomas E. THOMAS, D.D., united with the Venice Presbyterian Church April 2, 1831, and died February 3, 1875, at Walnut Hills, Ohio. The Sabbath-school connected with the Church is in a healthy condition. The officers in 1876 were James R. HEMPHILL, superintendent; George C. MARSH, secretary; and Thomas BOAL, treasurer. Connected with the Church is a woman's benevolent society, officered in 1876 as follows: Mr. D. R. MOORE, president; Mrs. George W. DICK, vice-president; Mrs. Julia S. WADE, secretary; Miss Sarah REESE, treasurer. The minister in charge at present is Rev. W. MACMILLAN, who fills the position as stated supply.

We give the names of some who have been and are the most prominent members: Fergus ANDERSON, Sylvania ANDERSON, S. D. ANDERSON, Israel ATHERTON, Jane ATHERTON, Thomas BURNS, I. A. and Thomas BOAL, Asa BURCH, Asa H. CONE, James CARR, Charles and Joseph CONE, George W. DICK, Miss Mary F. DICK, C. K. GILLILAND, John KNOX, George KAY, Elizabeth LUTES, George C. MARSH, Hanna MARSH, Henderson W. SCOTT, John E. SATER, Amelia WILLEY, Robert C. WADE, and R. W. WADE. All those who have been mentioned in any way connected with the Sunday-school are members.

In 1826 the Rev. D. D. DAVISON and the Rev. R. O. SPENSER organized the Venice Methodist Episcopal Church. They preached at first in the district school-house. In 1831 the Presbyterians gave permission to the Methodists to hold meeting in their church, and the preacher in charge, Rev. John STEWART, commenced in the work. A powerful revival was soon under headway. In this society was a zealous sister by the name of HOTCHKISS, who in 1832, without the aid of even one man, embarked in the enterprise of building the first church. After obtaining a sufficient amount of money by subscription, and promised labor, with also the donation of a lot, she went to Peter YOUMANS and asked his assistance. He immediately became a partner in the undertaking and secured the title to the lot. The same year the house was completed and dedicated. In 1862 an effort was made to build a new house on the old site. Rev. Isaac NEFF was the preacher in charge, and zealously entered into the enterprise. Subscriptions to a considerable amount were raised. At this time there arose some dissensions in the Church on account of the Rebellion and the location of the new edifice. Mrs. Sarah ANDREWS, of the Miamitown Methodist Episcopal Society, came to their assistance by a bequest of $1,000. The church was erected and named ANDREWS Chapel. Mrs. ANDREWS also bequeathed $100 to the society for the support of ministers, paid annually in ten-dollar installments. So far as can be seen Methodism must have been a failure in Venice but for the help of woman. The society is now the weakest on the circuit. The present house was completed in 1865, and dedicated by Dr. J. M. REID, the editor of the Western Christian Advocate.

On the 1st of December, 1849, at a quarterly conference at New Haven, a resolution was offered by Rev. B. P. WHEAT, that the Venice circuit purchase or build a parsonage house. The motion was carried and a board of trustees created, consisting of Messrs. MARSH, BRYAN, SHAW, YEAGER, DE CAMP, STEWART and BARTLETT. At a second quarterly conference at Harrison, February 16, 1850, the trustees reported Washington, Harrison, New Haven, and Venice as favorable sites for the location of the parsonage. It was decided at this meeting to build the house at Washington. After some delay by two or three sets of trustees, in May, 1851, it was ordered that the "house now almost finished in the town of Venice be purchased for $750, the amount the owner agrees to take for it." The house was undoubtedly purchased the same year. In 1856 and 1857 the stable, carriage-house, and shed were built, during the pastorate of the Rev. A. W. Tibbitts. Perhaps every family that has occupied the house has done something to beautify the premises, but up to 1869, Mrs. W. N. WILLIAMS probably did more than any other person. The parsonage is now (1882) neatly kept by the Rev. E. A. EASTON and wife.

In 1819 Oxford circuit was formed, embracing the country between the Miami River and the State line. The following are the names of the pastors and presiding elders who served on this circuit from its organization until 1837: 1819, John SALE, P. E., and Russell BIGELOW, P. C.; 1820, Walter GRIFFITH, P. E., and Allen WILLEY, P. C., assisted by B F. CROUCH; 1821, same presiding elder, and Samuel BAKER, P. C., assisted by William H. RAPER; 1822, A. CUMMINGS, P. E., and Moses CRUME, P. C., with Richard BRANDRIFF, assistant; 1823, same presiding elder, with James JONES for pastor in charge, and Levi WHITE, A. P.; 1824, John STRANGE, P. E., and Peter STEPHENS, P. C., assisted by James JONES; 1825, John COLLINS, P. E., with Daniel D. DAVISON, P. C., and J. BAUGHMAN assistant; 1826, same P. E., P. C., and R. O. SPENSER for assistant; 1827, same presiding elder, J. C. BROOK, P. C., with J. C. HUNTER assistant pastor; 1828, Greenbury R. JONES, P. E., J. P. TAYLOR, P. C., with B. LAWRENCE A. P.; 1829,1830 1831, Greenbury R. JONES, P. E. Elijah H. FIELD and R. O. SPENSER were in charge for 1829; R. O. SPENSER and E. H. FIELD were in charge in 1830; John STEWART and A. D. BEASLEY were in charge in 1831. James B. FINLEY, P. E., with John STEWART and J. F. DAVISON in charge in 1832. In 1833 Oxford was embraced in the Cincinnati circuit, where it remained until 1837. In 1838 James B. FINLEY was presiding elder, and J. W. CLARK, P. C., with J. W. FINLEY assistant pastor. In 1834 Thomas A. MORRIS was presiding elder, and Charles W. SWAIN and J. WATERMAN in charge. In 1835 Leroy SWORMSTEDT was presiding elder, and Burnis WESTLAKE, P. C., assisted by Lucien W. BERRY, J. A. WATERMAN, supernumerary. Leroy SWORMSTEDT was presiding elder in 1836, Burnis WESTLAKE P. C., assisted by D. POE.

In 1837 the Oxford circuit was divided, and the New Haven circuit formed, which was embraced in the Lebanon district. As near as can be ascertained, the circuit consisted of fifteen appointments: New Haven, Harrison, Washington, Venice, Zion, Ebenezer, Miamitown, Bluerock, Layhigh, Youmans, Marsh's, Scoggin's, Mofford's, Olive Branch, and Stephens's Beech Woods. The localities of some of these places are now forgotten.

From the organization of the New Haven circuit to 1846 the following ministers served as presiding elders and pastors: 1837, William B. CHRISTIE, P. E. and Asa M. STROUD, with Martin WOLF as assistant; 1838, James B. FINLEY, P. E., with John W. STEEL and William H. FYFFE as assistant; 1839, 1840, 1841, and 1842, George W. WALKER, as presiding elder; Levi P. MILLER, assisted by J. A. WATERMAN, served the circuit in 1840; Arthur W. ELLIOTT and David KEMPER in 1841; Joseph GASNER and Peter HOLTZINGER in 1842. In 1843, 1844, and 1845, Zachariah CONNELL was the presiding elder, Charles R. LOVELL and Levi CUNNINGHAM were in charge; in 1844, Charles R. LOVELL and Isaac N. MARK were in charge; 1845, Joseph BROOKS and O. E. PEEBLES were in charge. Nathaniel L. CONREY was appointed the same year, vice Joseph BROOKS, resigned. Asa B. STROUD, the first pastor in charge of the New Haven circuit, received a salary of $260, and on traveling expenses $127. The circuit paid his house rent. Martin WOLF, assistant pastor, received $309.42 for his salary. Isaac N. MARK the same year received ninety-three dollars and fifteen cents.

In 1846 the name of the circuit was changed to that of Venice, which name it still bears. There were thirteen appointments at this time, as follows: Venice, Washington, Ebenezer, Walker, Zion, Bunker Hill, Layhigh, Youmans, Marsh's, Poe's School-house, Miamitown, New Haven, and Harrison. The first presiding elder, Z. CONNELL, was allowed forty-eight dollars for his salary, but only received forty-three dollars, a custom which was often known previously. N. WESTERMAN received for his salary as the first pastor in charge, $327.14. The presiding elders and ministers in charge since 1848 have been given in the order of appointment; first the presiding elders, then the pastors and assistant pastors: 1848, William I. ELLSWORTH, Daniel D. DAVISON, and J. B. FISH; 1849, William I. ELLSWORTH, Benjamin P. WHEAT, and Thomas M. THRALLS; 1850, William I. ELLSWORTH, Benjamin P. WHEAT, and Benjamin GLASSCOCK; 1851, Augustus EDDY, William M. SMITH; Benjamin F. MORRIS, the latter serving nine months, and his place being supplied by J. E. THOMPSON.

In 1852, the Cincinnati Annual Conference was formed, and Venice circuit was included within its boundaries. Salem came into the circuit the same year. In 1852 Augustus EDDY, M. KAUFFMAN, George B. OWENS, Thomas DUNN, supernumerary; 1854, Augustus EDDY, George B. OWENS, John SHINN; 1855, David REED, A. W. TIBBITTS, D. C. BENJAMIN; 1856, David REED, A. W. TIBBITTS, Alfred W. KEELING, supernumerary; 1857, David REED, Michael BITLER, Daniel GRIFFIS; 1858, David REED, Andrew M. MURPHEY, Michael BITLER; 1859, Michael MARLAY, John FITCH and George W. KELLEY; 1860, Michael MARLAY, J. P. WATERHOUSE, Evan P. JAMES; 1861, Michael MARLAY, Isaac NEFF, and Sullivan W. EDMISTON.

In 1862 the circuit was embraced in the Hamilton district, William H. LAUDER, J. NEFF, and S. W. EDMISTON in charge; 1863 the circuit was included in the West Cincinnati district, William H. LAUDER, George W. FEE, and A. W. KEELING in charge; 1864, 1865, and 1866 William H. LAUDER was presiding elder; William N. WILLIAMS was preacher in charge in 1865, 1866, and 1867, assisted in 1865 by N. C. PARRISH, and in 1866 by Charles R. GOWDY as supernumerary. In 1867 and 1868 James F. CHALFANT was presiding elder. Nathaniel C. PARRISH and Jacob R. HUNTER were pastors in charge in 1868; in 1869, 1870, and 1871 Mr. CHALFANT was the presiding elder; in 1871, L. F. VAN CLEVE; in 1872 and 1873, Asbury LOWREY. William A. ROBINSON was preacher in charge in 1869, assisted by N. C. PRINCE; in 1870, W. A. ROBINSON, assisted by A. J. HANNA and A. W. KEELING; in 1871, George J. CONNER; in 1872, Fletcher HYPES, assisted by John W. SUTHERLAND; in 1873, Fletcher HYPES, with G. M. HAMMEL as assistant preacher; and J. R. HUNTER for three years and E. A. EASTON for two years, both pastors in charge.

The Church property in 1877 on the Venice circuit was valued at seven thousand dollars.

Four or five years ago the appointments of New Haven, Venice, Washington, and Okeana were placed in one circuit. All the other places of worship which have been mentioned as Methodist appointments, now belong to the Oxford circuit. Although beginning late, this Church is now the most prosperous in the county.


On the 23d of May, 1815, Joseph VAN HORNE laid off the town of Millville. VAN HORNE had been here for some time previous, engaged in milling in the same building which is now standing. The village is almost wholly in Section 4, and mostly in Ross Township. Indian Creek divides the place into halves, the western side or half being situated on a hill, which slopes gradually towards the creek. The eastern side of the village is level, and has the greater part of the population. Among some of the early settlers were Joel WILLIAMS, who was here in 1805; George THOMAS, William VAN HORNE, the HILLs, the BEATYs, H. R. COLEMAN, Samuel PROUD, David MONTFORT, Daniel BROSIER, Charles SPINNINGS, and others.

From the earliest times Millville has occupied a proud position in her country's history. When the State was subjecting her citizens to a system of military training, such men as ex-Governor BEBB, Colonel HALSTEAD, and Judges ANDERSON and WADE met here to drill. These gatherings were after the fashion of town meetings, and called together all kinds of men. Besides, the mill was always a very necessary part of frontier machinery, and hence brought farmers to town through necessity. This mill was built in 1805 by Joel WILLIAMS, a mill-wright from the East. WILLIAMS, in 1821, sold the mill, including thirty acres of land, to William COCHRAN, who was born in New Jersey, but who was living at the time with his family in what is now Glendale, Hamilton County, Ohio. Mr. COCHRAN soon added one hundred acres more to his property, and on the 13th of August, 1825, purchased eighty acres adjoining of William COBB and wife. One of the most remarkable facts connected with the erection of this mill is that the stone were hauled from Bank Lick, a stream in Hamilton County, at the mouth of which WILLIAMS had or quite soon thereafter erected a similar establishment. The Millville mill has remained in the family of William COCHRAN since 1821, the fourth owner being James W. COCHRAN, who died recently. For about ten years C. F. THOMIN has had the oversight of this mill, receiving for his services one-half of the net proceeds.

One of the first indications that civilization was moving westward is found in a wrought-iron nail factory, which was in operation about 1823 on the bank of Indian Creek near where the tavern now stands. It was carried on for a number of years, the iron coming from beyond the Alleghanies down the Ohio.

Thomas BAKER, a tailor by trade, owned a carding and fulling mill here in 1828 and 1830. The mill is now standing, being the first house west of the Presbyterian church. This establishment continued for eight or ten years. The motive power was furnished by a horse tread-wheel.

John, Samuel, Matthew, William, Thomas, and Francis VAN HORNE, sons of Joseph VAN HORNE, carried on the manufacture of whisky in Millville before 1825, in a log still-house on the corner below where the bridge now stands on the west side of the creek. This bridge was built in 1849, two years after a like affair was carried off by high water.

It required but little foresight to see that store-keeping might be made profitable in Millville at an early day. We find, therefore, in 1825, or, no doubt, as early as 1819, Eliakim ROSS, here engaged in keeping what was pre-eminently a country store. Henry R. COLEMAN was in the same business in 1825, in a log house on the south side of the creek, a few rods above the bridge. John and Thomas HANNA were here in 1830, on the north or east side of the stream, a short distance above the tavern. John M. COCHRAN kept store in 1838, followed by Elias KUMLER & FLICKINGER. Mr. GARNER was also a business man in Millville at an early day. A. T. CARNAHAN was here also; he died in Venice. John W. MEEKER, now of Harrison, was a merchant in the village some ten or fifteen years ago.

For the first blacksmith, Millville had William RAY, whose shop stood on the old turnpike, which formerly followed the creek without making a right angle at the corner. Mr. SHAFER was also here early, on the old road. Henry GALLAWAY and his family were gunsmiths and blacksmiths in Millville more than fifty years ago. Frederic ZILLYOX was blacksmith in 1845, or thereabouts. He afterwards became a tavern-keeper. Michael EMERICK and Jacob FILLHARDT were also blacksmiths. Thomas GRAY was here as a mechanic for a time. There are two blacksmiths in town at present.

The first post-office in the village was kept in a log house now occupied as a part of George ENDER's hotel. William HILL was the first postmaster. James HILL was the second postmaster, in a frame house above the bridge, near where the harness shop now is. HILL was postmaster for about thirty-five years. The third office was in a brick building across the creek. Before 1875, for ten or twelve years, the post-office was kept in various places, since which time it has been in its present location. James HILL was also a justice of the peace and a tanner in 1825, opposite the town hall. The fixtures of this tannery were to be seen until within a few years back. Robert, a son of James HILL, had control of the tannery for some time. Mr. HILL kept the post-office in the office of the tannery. The early mail route had for offices Dick's Mill, Millville, and Scipio (or Philanthropy). A stage route which began about 1835 ran from Oxford and beyond to Cincinnati. It was of very great service to the people.

In 1825 William HILL was a tavern-keeper in this village, and had probably been here for some time previous, in a log house on the north side of the creek. The house has long since disappeared. M. J. MILLSPAUGH was engaged in the same business as early as 1820, on the south side of Indian Creek, in a double frame house. Jacob HASLER came in 1833 or 1834, and took charge of the Hill property. His wife was an excellent cook, and many travelers made it a point to spend the night with them. Frederic ZILLYOX followed HASLER in the same house, and also did a good business, building the present large frame in 1850. Joseph VAN AUSDALL was a tavern-keeper here also, for a year after ZILLYOX. After railroads came to be regarded by the public as a means of travel, the Millville taverns were compelled to take a less lucrative position.

Dr. James COREY was the first resident physician here in 1825. He removed to Cincinnati, and in a few years to Oxford, where he died. Dr. Lot COOPER was here in 1828. Dr. KINGSLEY was here soon thereafter. Dr. ARBUCKLE came in 1840, and remained for many years. Dr. HERRON followed ARBUCKLE, the latter being here for six or eight years. Dr. BATTENBURG was here as a physician for a short time. Dr. ROLL, of McGonigle's, practiced in this vicinity with much success. The present physicians are Drs. HANCOCK and DODD. All these men had the respect of the community.

Millville had for its first school-house a building, undoubtedly of logs, which stood on the site now occupied by the Presbyterian Church. This house was here in 1825. A year or two after a brick edifice was built, which stood until 1872, when the present Presbyterian Church made additions, and it is now used for their church. The present school-building, a handsome brick structure, was erected in 1872. For teachers, Abel BURRESS was here in 1825 and 1826; Mr. DUNN in 1835, and James A. NEAL in 1836.

A public meeting was held in the town of Millville on the 19th of June, 1858, for the purpose of forming a high school. An organization was effected and twenty-eight shares of stock secured, at one hundred dollars each. The shareholders were James WHIPPLE, Robert MOORE, John BASLER, J. C. BEATY, Peter MINTON, H. FLICKINGER, Samuel DICK, James WILLIAMS, Lewis BULLOCK, Andrew TIMBERMAN, Ira M. WHIPPLE, John W. CARR, John ROSS, John H. POST, D. K. ZELLER, W. R. CARNAHAN, Jacob KUMLER, Michael KUMLER, Samuel DICK, John ROSS, Jacob FILLHARDT, Jacob WICKARD, James DICK, James LEWIS, John FORLOW, John LEFFLER, J. W. COCHRAN, D. P. NELSON.

By-laws and a constitution were drafted, and the school machinery set in successful running order. D. P. NELSON was the first teacher. He was a graduate of Oxford, and was very energetic in its organization. Lewis BULLOCK was also a teacher. The school-building was erected about 1855, by Robert FERGUSON, and used as a store and post-office, but was sold afterwards to the high school corporation. This school continued for a number of years. All the higher branches were taught, preparatory for college. In May, 1870, the school-building was sold, and is now used for a dwelling-house.

One of the ornaments of Millville is the public or town hall. On the 20th of December the incorporators met and resolved to open books for subscriptions. The building committee was composed of Doctor A. HANCOCK, Luke BRADLEY, A. G. MCKEON, C. F. THOMIN, who was really one of the originators also, but who, because of holding the office of justice of the peace, was not so considered in the corporation papers and R. T. HANCOCK. Mr. THOMIN was made secretary, and R. T. HANCOCK, treasurer. This committee began work on the foundation of the 11th of December, 1877. The house was completed on or about July 4, 1878, although meetings and entertainments were held in it as early as April 1st. Total cost of building and lot was one thousand two hundred and eighty-eight dollars. The present directors are Luke BRADLEY, president; William B. FLENOR, vice-president; C. F. THOMIN, secretary; Jacob FISHER, treasurer, and A. J. LEWIS. This hall is a handsome frame building, and is very useful to the public.

Samuel's Lutheran Church, above Millville, in Hanover Township, was begun as early as 1815. This organization was very prosperous for a time--a period of twenty odd years--when some difference arose in regard to their creed, which caused a division. In 1842, October 1st, the corner-stone of a brick building, fifty by forty feet, was laid for a church in Millville, on a lot now under a state of cultivation in the south-east corner of the farm of W. B. DAVIS. This portion of the Zeigler congregation formed what was known as the Millville Lutheran Church. The remaining worshipers continued to use the old church until 1853, when they also came to the village and erected their present house. Some of the original members of the Hanover Township Church were Samuel ZEIGLER, Frank BEALER, and Daniel BROSIER. This house is now standing, in a very dilapidated condition. There is also connected with it a grave-yard, also in a bad condition.

Mt. Zion, the proper name for the Lutheran Church in Millville, had, in 1842, for some of its prominent members John A. KEIL, Philip SPANGLER, Jacob KOCHER, Michael SHANK, John CONFARE, Jacob BEALER, Daniel SHOLLENBURGER, George SPANGLER, and Michael and Philip HAWK. The Rev. John SURFACE, of Springfield, Ohio, dedicated the church. It was not until 1845 that there was any regular pastor--Rev. G. SILL. He was followed by E. R. GWINEY and W. C. BARNETT, who is now in Tennessee preaching. Leonard HARRISON and Mr. KOOCH were soon here after GWINEY. From the Rev. Mr. KOOCH henceforward the congregation was supplied by irregular preachers. When the Church was in prosperous condition, its highest membership numbered fifty. Luke BRADLEY, Mrs. SORTMAN, and Mrs. ROTHERMEL are the only living members. The house was sold to Mr. W. B. DAVIS about fifteen years ago, who tore down the building and sold the brick.

As has been said, the German Reformed Millville Church was one of the branches of the Samuel Zeigler Lutheran church in Hanover Township. Among its first members were Jacob KOOCH, John FISHER and wife, Frederic ZILLYOX, Jacob FILLHARDT, Messrs. HOOVER, George MUSKOPF, and their wives. Jacob and Barbara MUSKOPF were also early members. Their prominent preacher was Rev. John B??man, a man who took a leading part in church erection. George MICHLING, Mr. BOLEMAN, and Mr. HOSTMAIER were also prominently engaged here in the same work. Several years ago the Hanover Township church was sold; the money is now in the hands of the trustees of the Reformed Church, and held for cemetery purposes. At present there are about one hundred and twenty-five members. A good Sunday-school is in operation, with some eighty scholars, begun in 1855.

Among the most important of churches in Ross Township has been the United Brethren, erected about 1822, on the hill above Millville, on the south side of the old dirt road. This house, like the one built in the village in 1851, was a brick building about thirty-six by forty feet. For many years this society was by odds the leading congregation in this vicinity. It led in membership the famous Bethel Society, until some ten years ago, when the latter organization took the lead, since which time it has held it.

After about thirty years of continual use, the old church was torn down and the brick used in the construction of a new house. This society has seasons of promise and adversity. Some of the most distinguished of the early ministers were Henry KUMLER and Mr. SELLERS. The Rev. Christopher FLINCHPAUGH, a man who rode for over fifty years the circuit lying between the two Miamis, and extending as far north as Dayton Ohio, was a noted visitor. Many names of the first members will appear in these inscriptions:

Ann Maria, wife of Michael BOTTENBURG, Sen., died August 5, 1850; aged 75. Dr. Daniel BOTTENBURG, died July 19, 1834; aged 25. Adam CLIPPINGER, Sen., born in Northampton County, Penn., October 12, 1780; died in Butler County, Ohio, December 27, 1850. Benjamin WHALIN, born in Lancaster County, Penn., died October 11, 1835; aged 22. Alexander MOORE, died December 5, 1842; aged 63. Moses LAUGHLIN, born December, 1777; died February 6, 1855. Tamson, wife of Moses LAUGHLIN, departed this life December 23, 1844; aged 67. John MORSE, who died January 9, 1850; aged 56. Also, Elizabeth, his wife, who died September 25, 1841; aged 47. David DONER, died September 10, 1828; aged 55. Nancy, wife of David DONER, died May 8, 1843; aged 64. A conspicuous monument in the south side reads, Mary, wife of Alexander MOORE, died November 12, 1853; aged 62. Elizabeth, wife of Jacob WICKARD, died December 28, 1852; aged 40. Jacob CARR, died August 29, 1854; aged 66. Amos FLICKINGER, Co. F., 93d O. V. I., wounded in the battle of Murfreesboro, Tenn., died January 14, 1863; aged 20. Charles KICHLING, born in Prussia, May 26, 1827; died September 22, 1876. John ZELLER, died October 16, 1857; aged 59. Daniel BEAL, died January 18, 1871; aged 75. Amy, wife of Daniel BEAL, died April 24, 1870; aged 73. John LEFFLER, died April 3, 1876; aged 68. Jacob SNYDER, died June 21, 1859; aged 58. Catharine, wife of Jacob SNYDER, died March 12, 1878; aged 75. Solomon ROTHERMAL, died July 28, 1879; aged 65. Sarah, wife of Solomon ROTHERMAL, died February 21, 1871; aged 51.

The following are the names of the postmasters and post-offices in the township since its beginning:

Dick's Mills.--George DICK, January 15, 1819; Jane DICK, September 15, 1828. Changed to Ross, July 3, 1834.

Ross.--William S. VANDIKE, July 3, 1834; Abraham P. CARNAHAN, January 4, 1837; William RAY, April 21, 1840; Alfred J. REESE, September 26, 1840; Isaac S. FROST, May 1, 1843; Jonathan KILBURN; Isaac A. BOAL, June 9, 1849; John B. FROST, August 8, 1853; William POWELL, March 21, 1855; William TURNER, March 23, 1855; Alfred J. REESE, June 2, 1855; Samuel D. ANDERSON, March 7, 1856; Matthew T. JONES, July 7, 1857; Henry KREISMAN, March 13, 1860; George M. CONE, April 8, 1862; Henry KREISMAN, April 1, 1863; Benjamin F. CLARK, Jr., August 17, 1865; Louis LEHNE, December 6, 1880.

Millville.--William HILL, February 17, 1817; James HILL, February 20, 1830; Robert FERGUSON, October 23, 1854; James HILL, June 29, 1857; Robert HILL, May 21, 1866; Hugh D. GOSHORN, March 17, 1871.