A History and Biographical Cyclopaedia of Butler County, Ohio
Hamilton: Pages 405 - 408
Next page | Butler County Ohio | Cyclopeadia index page | Previous page

George C. SMITH was born in Indianapolis, October 4, 1852. He is the younger son of John and Mary E.SMITH. He was a pupil in the public schools in that city, and after reaching the proper age was engaged in clerking for some three years. In 1869 he entered the employment of the Junction Railroad, in which he continued some three years. In January, 1873, he came to Hamilton as cashier in the freight office. In April, 1881, he was promoted to be freight agent of the Cincinnati, Hamilton and Dayton Railroad, at Hamilton. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and an active and esteemed citizen. Since the construction of the Cincinnati, Hamilton and Dayton Railroad he is the fifth to occupy the position of freight agent.

Joseph C. SYMMES was born in Fairfield Township, February 23, 1840, being the son of Celadon SYMMES and Catherine (BLACKBURN) SYMMES. He was educated in the common schools in Fairfield, and brought up to farming. In 1863, he married to Martha SMITH, daughter of Nathaniel SMITH, of Hamilton County. They are the parents of one daughter and one son. They are Hattie S., born May 12, 1870, and Eugene P., born May 2, 1879. After his marriage Mr. SYMMES continued to reside on the home place, conducting it till 1880, when he came to Hamilton, where he has since resided. He engaged in the grain and commission business at the Two-Mile bridge, doing an extensive business, shipping to Cincinnati ten thousand bushels in July last. He is a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen.

James STEAD was born in West Yorkshire, England, June 22, 1827, being the oldest child of Ephraim and Rachel STEAD. He had limited educational opportunities in his youth, and when seventeen began an apprenticeship of seven years at the trade of dyer, with his uncle. Upon completing his trade, he assumed the management of his uncleıs business He held this position until he came to America, in 1852, locating in Philadelphia as a journeyman, and also acting as foreman, until coming to Hamilton, in 1866. He entered the employment of SHULER & BENNINGHOFEN, and remained with them until June, 1882, as foreman in the dye-works. He then retired from business.

Mr. STEAD was married, in April, 1853, to Miss Lydia HOYLE. They were the parents of six children, three of whom are living -- Mary A., Sidney, and James Henry. Sidney occupies the position vacated by his father, and James Henry is a machinist by trade. Mr. STEAD attends the Presbyterian Church. In 1879 he made a trip to England and the Continent, visiting his old home. He was absent three months.

Christian K. SLONNEGER was born in Milford Township, Butler County, December 23, 1838. He is the oldest son of Jacob and Elizabeth KING. Jacob SLONNEGER was born in the canton of Berne, in Switzerland, May 22, 1813, and emigrated to America in June, 1824, first living in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. He came out to Butler County in August, 1825, and was married to Miss Elizabeth KING in 1837. They had eleven children, six boys and five girls, of whom two boys and one girl are dead. Mrs. SLONNEGER died in September, 1858. He was married to Lydia SHINDLER in 1862, and had five children by her, three boys and two girls, one of the latter being dead. Mr. SLONNEGER remained in Milford Township the greater part of his life. He visited Europe in 1860, and was gone a year. He was a member of the Mennonite Church. His death occurred in June, 1879.

Christian K. SLONNEGER received rather a limited education in his youth, but self-study has improved him. He was brought up to farming till of age, when he became a clerk in a grocery store, and began for himself in 1867. He continued that for some time, but about 1874 he began the insurance business in Hamilton, which he continued till entering into partnership with Mr. SEWARD, in 1878. Mr. SLONNEGER was married in 1875, to Miss Emma MITCHELL, daughter of Theodore MITCHELL, formerly of Preble County. They are the parents of two daughters, Dora Bertha and Helen. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church and of the Odd Fellows.

Meyer STRAUSS was born April 18, 1836, at Unter Riedenberg, the county seat of Bruckenau, in the Kingdom of Bavaria. He is the son of Philip and Jetta STRAUSS, who are now both dead. He received a common school education, and emigrated to America in the year 1851. He was in the clothing business in Yellow Springs, Greene County, Ohio, in 1860 and 1861, and moved to Ripley, Brown County, Ohio, in 1862. He stayed till 1864, then going to Cincinnati. There he carried on business on the south-west corner of Fifth and Main, and also No. 20 West Fifth Street. He was there when the government condemned it, needing the space for public buildings, and moved to Hamilton in 1874. He is a member of the Masonic order, Bınai Bırith, Knights of Honor, and Knights and Ladies of Honor. He is an Israelite. He was married on 3d of October, 1861, in the city of Philadelphia, to Elisa KLAPFER.

Mrs. A.M. SCUDDER was born in Trenton, New Jersey, May 17, 1833, and was the daughter of Elias and Ann S. DRAKE. They came to Ohio in 1836, settling at Springdale, Hamilton County. She received a public school education, and later in life, by self-study and reading has improved herself much. Her parents came to Liberty Township in 1850, where her father spent the best of his days on a farm, which is still in his family. He had two daughters and three sons, all living at present. He died in 1867. She remained at home until her marriage in 1862 to Daniel C. SCUDDER, a native of Liberty Township. He was the son of Stephen SCUDDER, one of the pioneers of Butler County, and was born April 2, 1833. He was a farmer by occupation, but in later years was a shipper and buyer of live stock. They are the parents of one daughter and one son, Lutie Opal, born October 16, 1867, and Kenneth Lester, born April 10, 1870. Mr. SCUDDER was a successful business man. His death occurred December 26, 1872, in Minnesota, whither he had gone for the benefit of his health. In June, 1873, Mrs. SCUDDER removed to Hamilton, locating on Seventh Street, where she still resides.

Valentine SEIFERT was born in Bavaria, Germany, May 4, 1823, being the younger son of Michael and Elizabeth SEIFERT, coming with his parents of America in 1828. He located in Cincinnati, where he attended school for a brief space of time. His opportunities, however, were limited. When he was sixteen he began an apprenticeship of seven years at the bakerıs trade, in all its various branches. He then worked as a journeyman in the New England Bakery, on Fifth Street, Cincinnati, acting as foreman for three years, and being in Oxford for one year.

He came to Hamilton about 1852, beginning the baking business. After eight years he went to Lee, Fayette County, Indiana, becoming a partner in a papermill for three years. Owing to some misadventures, he was obliged to work for others, and was employed in Connersville, Indiana, some three years, his family residing in Hamilton. He entered the employment of CARR & BROWN about 1870, and remained with them until 1881, when he purchased the business, and has since conducted it. He employs six hands, and has doubled the business since taking charge.

Mr. SEIFERT was married July 7, 1844, to Mary DEVILLA, and they have been the parents of fourteen children, nine daughters and five sons. The family are members of the Roman Catholic Church.

Albert H. THOMPSON was born in Princeton, Gibson County, Indiana, November 11, 1856, and is the adopted son of C.B. and Mary A. THOMPSON. C.B. THOMPSON was born in Warren County, Ohio, and settled in Hamilton at an early day, where he conducted a farm near Jonesıs Station. Soon after coming to Hamilton he began the livery business, carrying that on for the remainder of his life. In 1871 Albert H. THOMPSON took an interest in the concern, and on March 2, 1877, the entire business passed into his hands. When five years old Albert H. THOMPSON came to Hamilton, entering the family of C.B. THOMPSON, and was educated in the public and select schools. He was a pupil at Beckıs Commercial College, where he completed his education, upon which he began his active duties in the livery stable. Since the death of C.B. THOMPSON he has conducted the business in a most successful manner, and is a prominent young business man. He is a member of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. Mr. C.B. THOMPSON was an active Democrat in politics, and a millwright by trade. This occupation he followed before beginning the livery business, which he bought of SPEAR & STOUT in 1859. His father was Benjamin THOMPSON.

Marcellus THOMAS, late sheriff of Butler County, was born August 1, 1841, in Fairfield Township, Butler County, being the second son of Squire L. and Lorain (EURAT) THOMAS, native of the same place, though of New Jersey parentage. The paternal grandfather of Mr. THOMAS came from the State to Ohio, settling in Fairfield Township as early as 1802, where he engaged in farming. Squire L. THOMAS was employed all his life in farming and stock-raising. His death took place in 1863, at the age of fifty, while his widow survived him eight years, dying in 1871, at the age of fifty-eight. Marcellus THOMAS from boyhood was engaged in the duties incident to farm work. He remained at home assisting his father until he reached his majority in 1863, the year of his fatherıs death. He is now engaged in farming independently, though leasing lands in Fairfield for that purpose, carrying it on till 1871.

For several years prior to this, Mr. THOMAS had taken an active part in political affairs, and had gained prominence and popularity as a politician and political worker. In that year he was appointed deputy sheriff, which he creditably filled for two successive terms, till 1876. In 1875 he was nominated by the Democrats for sheriff, and was elected, and again in 1877, serving with credit to himself and satisfaction to the county for four years. He retired from office in 1880, leaving a record of efficiency as an officer and integrity as a man, and was well liked by the people.

In 1878 Mr. THOMAS bought a farm in Fairfield Township, though his residence has been in Hamilton since 1872. In the Fall of 1879 he, in company with four others, engaged in the ice business, under the name of the ³Miami Ice Company.² Mr. THOMAS was made general manager of the enterprise, and conducted the business of the company. They constructed a pond of nine acres about three miles from Hamilton, near the canal, from which it is filled. Four buildings are also erected with a capacity of ten thousand tons. Their ice is wholesaled at Cincinnati, to which it is shipped exclusively by canal.

Upon the organization of the fifth ward in Hamilton, Mr. THOMAS was elected a member of the school board. Although the ward was Republican, Mr. THOMASıs popularity won him the election over his Republican opponent. He was for several years a member of the Democratic Central Committee of this county, and rendered valuable service in sustaining the supremacy of his party. He has frequently been sent as a delegate to State Democratic conventions.

Mr. THOMAS was married December 22, 1864, to Miss Ellen F. SHELEY, daughter of Roderick R. and Sidney SHELEY, of Fairfield Township. Mrs. THOMAS was born and raised on the farm now owned by her husband. Mr. and Mrs. THOMAS have two children living. The oldest, Marcellus B., was born August 8, 1871, and the youngest, William F., was born on the 14th of February, 1874. He has been a prominent Odd Fellow since April, 1872. He has also been a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen since 1875, a Knight of Honor since 1878, and a member of the Royal Arcanum since 1880.

Henry TABLER was born in Hamilton, Butler County, February 20, 1841. He is the son of Henry and Mary A. (VON BENKEN) TABLER. Henry TABLER, Sen., was born in Hanover, Germany, in 1800, and came to America in 1836, making his residence in Hamilton. He raised a family of three children to maturity, of whom Henry and Catherine, the wife of Charles BECK Jr., are survivors. The father died in 1872. He was an active member of the Catholic Church.

Henry TABLER, Jr., was educated in the parochial schools in Hamilton, and also later in life was in a commercial College at Cincinnati for one year. When he was fourteen he began an apprenticeship at carriage painting, at which he worked until 1870, in various cities. In 1870 he began in the drygoods and tailoring business at Cincinnati, continuing in it till 1874, when he entered into partnership with his brother-in-law, Charles BECK, Jr., till 1877, when the interest of the latter was purchased by his father. The firm is now BECK & TABLER. They are extensive dealers in boots and shoes, and also have a good run of custom work.

Mr. TABLER was married in 1866, to Miss Josephine TIEBEN. They have had eight children, of whom seven are living, three daughters and four sons. They are Elizabeth, Charles H., Herman A., Eleanora, George T., Albert J., and Adeline J. They are members of the Catholic Church.

Mr. TABLER enlisted April 17, 1861, being one of those that responded to the first call of seventy-five thousand men, in the First Ohio Volunteer Infantry. He went to Washington, participated in numerous skirmishes, and also in the first battle of Bull Run. He served out his term of enlistment, and with his regiment was mustered out at Columbus, Ohio. Mr. TABLER is an esteemed, prosperous, and respected citizen. Mrs. TABLER is a daughter of H.A. TIEBEN, a well-known manufacturer of Covington, Kentucky, where she was born, in 1848.

William TWEEDALE was born in Scotland, April 27, 1832, being the only son of John TWEEDALE and Catherine ST. CLAIR. He attended the schools in Scotland, but when twelve commenced an apprenticeship of four years at the trade of millwright. He emigrated with his parents to America in 1848, the family first locating in Norwich, Connecticut, and being there one year. He came to Hamilton in 1849, where John TWEEDALE entered the employment of BECKETT, MARTIN & RIGDON. He was a paper-maker by trade, and reared a family of three children to maturity. Catherine is the wife of Adam LAURIE, and Elizabeth was the wife of Thomas BORCH, a resident in Cincinnati. John TWEEDALE died about 1872, but his wife, Mrs. Catherine TWEEDALE, is living, in her ninety-first year, being vigorous in mind and body.

William TWEEDALE entered the employment of John L. MARTIN, as millwright, in the construction of BECKETT & LAURIEıs mill. This relation lasted until 1871, when he entered into partnership with Mr. SKINNER, as J.C. SKINNER & Co. Mr. TWEEDALE was married, in 1861, to Miss Mary, daughter of Adam LAURIE. They are parents of three children, of whom but one son survives, Walter S., who is employed in the paper mill. They are members of the United Presbyterian Church, and are highly respected in the community.

John C. WEAVER, county surveyor, was born in Butler County, December 9, 1838. He is the son of William and Elizabeth (CLARK) WEAVER, and was educated in the common schools, in Madison Township. Until he reached the age of twenty-two he followed farming, teaching school, and clerking. About 1860 he entered an engineerıs office, in Cincinnati, for one year, and then, returning to his fatherıs house, engaged in the profession of surveying. He was assistant to Mason S. HAMILTON for three years, and in the Fall of 1873 was elected county surveyor, a position he has since filled with ability. He was elected city surveyor in the Spring of 1877. Mr. WEAVER was married, January 21, 1875, to Miss Bell HART. They are the parents of two daughters, Bessie H., and Lou Ettie. Mr. WEAVER is a member of the Methodist Church. He is a self-made man, popular and esteemed.

Israel WILLIAMS, lawyer, and for many years a prominent citizen of Hamilton, was born August 24, 1827, in Montgomery County, Ohio. He was the oldest in a family of nine children, whose parents were William and Mary (MARKER) WILLIAMS. His father was a native of Bedford County, Pennsylvania, and was of Welsh extraction. William WILLIAMS moved to Ohio in 1816, and settled with his parents in Montgomery County. Here about 1825 he married Mary MARKER, daughter of George and Margaret MARKER, who were natives of Middletown Valley, Frederick County, Maryland, and were of German parentage. Israel WILLIAMS was educated primarily in the common schools of Champaign County, where his parents removed in 1830, and then at the Ohio Conference High School, at Springfield. Afterwards he attended Granville College, now Dennison University, and finally was graduated from Farmersı College, at College Hill, Ohio, in 1853. He paid his way through school and college by teaching.

After graduating at college he became a student in the law office of GUNCKEL & STRONG, at Dayton. He was graduated from the Cincinnati Law School in 1855. Upon the completion of his course of study he received an invitation from MILLER & BROWN, prominent lawyers of Hamilton, who had also an office in Washington City, to go to the latter place and aid them in the transaction of their business. He accepted this offer, went to Washington, and remained there during the Summer months, but spending the Winter at Des Moines, Iowa. In the Spring of 1856 he became a partner in the firm of MILLER & BROWN, in Hamilton. He shortly afterwards purchased the interests of his two partners, and since that date he has practiced alone. In the beginning of his labors in Hamilton a large portion was the collection of debts, and afterwards he became largely interested in real estate matters. He has occupied the same office for twenty-five years.

Mr. WILLIAMS was a Democrat previous to the war, but with the firing on Fort Sumter his party adhesion was changed, and he gave a hearty support to the government of Mr. LINCOLN. To strengthen the Union cause he purchased, in conjunction with Mr. EGRY, the Telegraph, the Democratic organ of this county, on the 24th of October, 1861, and shortly afterwards merged it into the Intelligencer, the Republican journal, which they had also bought. During their management the paper gave no uncertain sound. It upheld the Union and the prosecution of the war, and denounced traitors without mincing its words. On the 12th of March, 1863, Mr. WILLIAMS disposed of his interest in this enterprise to Captain John C. LEWIS and retired. But at this time, and before and after, he was rendering the government great aid as the secretary of the Citizensı Military Committee of Butler County, an advisory body instituted very early in the war. Noah C. McFARLAND was chairman, and the other members were Judge HUME, Major MILLIKIN, and Henry BEARDSLEY. It was their duty to aid the State and national administrations with all their power, and they did so. They discovered the opponents of the war were instituting a secret order hostile to further proceedings against the South, and transmitted the intelligence of the organizations to Governors BROUGH of Ohio, and MORTON of Indiana. They watched the public pulse, recommended officers for promotion, helped to raise money, looked after those who had been left behind without support, and acted as a focus around which citizens could gather. The services of the committee were entirely gratuitous.

Mr. WILLIAMS was married January 9, 1860, to Miss Maggie WAKEFIELD, a native of Butler County, and a daughter of John and Mary WAKEFIELD, who were early settlers of this county. They have four children: Mary, Stella, Nina, and John Wakefield. During his long residence in this city Mr. WILLIAMS has earned the respect and esteem of his fellow-citizens. An ardent Republican, he has never sought office.

Nelson WILLIAMS was born in Champaign County, Ohio, on the 23d of March, 1853, being the oldest child of George and Margaret WILLIAMS. He went to the common schools until he was sixteen years of age, when he entered Piqua High School, there remaining two years. He then taught school until he was twenty-one. He had previously been reading law, and at that age entered the office of Israel WILLIAMS, in Hamilton. He was admitted to the bar in April, 1876, and continued with Israel WILLIAMS, engaged in practice, until July, 1881. He was married in 1880 to Miss Susie, daughter of Dr. Henry MALLORY, an old and well-established physician of the West Side. Mr. WILLIAMS is an active and rising member of the Butler County bar, and has already attained much success.

William YEAKLE was born in Butler County, October 29, 1834, and is the oldest son of Jacob and Margaret (SORTMAN) YEAKLE. The former was a native of Pennsylvania, and came to Ohio in the early years of the present century, and married a daughter of Bernard SORTMAN, raising a familyof six children to maturity. He died in 1844. Mrs. Margaret YEAKLE, now the widow of Christopher DONNER, is still living and in vigoroushealth. William YEAKLE was educated in the common schools of Butler County. When sixteen he commenced an apprenticeship at the cabinet trade, which lasted for three years. He continued as a journeyman three years. He entered the employment of Stephen HUGHES, in the manufacture of bran dusters in 1855, and continued with him till 1869, when the firm of Stephen HUGHES & Co., was formed, consisting of Mr. HUGHES and Mr. YEAKLE. It is now known as the Stephen HUGHES Manufacturing Company, and of this Mr. YEAKLE is vice-president. It was incorporated in February, 1882. Their bran duster takes the lead of anything manufactured, having a large sale. They employ a number of hands.

Mr. YEAKLE was married October 16, 1860, to Elizabeth, daughter of Jacob GALLOWAY. They are the parents of eight children, six now living. They are Lurella, Sarah Elva, Maggie, William Stephen, Wilson G., and Robert R. Mr. YEAKLE is a member of the Odd Fellows.

Charles H. ZWICK was born in Williamsburg, New York, December 14, 1849, being the younger son of Christian and Mary ZWICK. He came with his parents to Ohio in 1858, locating in Hamilton, where he attended the public schools. He received a limited education, having improved his opportunities by study and reading since. He entered a mercantile establishment at Portsmouth, Ohio, a few years after, where he remained for some seven years as salesman. In 1872 or 1873 he returned to Hamilton, and entered the employment of FITTON Bros., where he remained for a year and a half. In September, 1873, Mr. ZWICK commenced business in his present location, in a comparatively small way, in millinery and fancy dry goods. His trade has increased to a large extent, and he has added to his assortment dry goods and carpets. Mr. ZWICK was married in 1872 to Miss R.B. RUOFF. They are the parents of one son, Carl, born February 27, 1880. They are members of the German Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. ZWICK is of the firm of Charles H. ZWICK & Co., which is engaged in the manufacture of woolen hosiery and mittens, employing from eighty to one hundred hands. This was an industry established in 1880.

End of page 406 Hamilton (History of Butler County)