A History and Biographical Cyclopaedia of Butler County, Ohio
Pages 98 - 104


Seal or Next page | Butler County Ohio | Cyclopeadia index page | Previous page

Some of the Kentuckians at times felt themselves at liberty to charge the Ohioans with cowardice in not rushing to the relief of Fort Wayne when it was besieged by the enemy. This produced a high feeling, and often occasioned words. But as it was known that Captain COLLINS was on the line, and had the command of a rifle company from Ohio, there were a few old officers among the Kentuckians who were not slow to make an exception in his favor. Every member of the rifle company from Butler County, at the expiration of their term of service, returned home in safety, without a scar. They had not the fortune to be ordered into battle ; consequently, they returned unincumbered with those laurels and high honors which some imagine can only be obtained on the battle-field. Still it is justly claimed for them that they did good service in opening roads, making water-craft to transport supplies down the St. Mary’s River, and pushing on provisions and other needful supplies for the use of the army. They did their duty by promptly performing any service that was required of them by those in command.

Immediately after Mr. COLLINS returned home, in 1813, he received the appointment of captain in the standing army of the United States, and was ordered to proceed to Cincinnati and enlist men for the service. He soon had twenty-three men enlisted, when he was ordered to rendezvous at Franklinton. He left Hamilton in company with Lieutenant Alexander DELORAC early in the month of October, and proceeded to Franklinton, where they remained about a month, When they were ordered to Sandusky and from thence to Detroit, where he was stationed for sometime. On the 4th of March, 1814, he was appointed to the command of the force at Sandwich, in Canada, and proceeded to build the fort at that place. He was also, for a short time, commander of Fort Malden, in Canada. He was afterward ordered back to Detroit, where he took command of the place, and continued in the service until the close of the war in 1815, when he retired from the army with credit and honor to himself. He then returned to his farm in Oxford Township. During the time Captain COLLINS was in the army he disbursed considerable sums of money on account of the government, and when he retired from the service his accounts were promptly closed, and a small balance found due to him from the government by the accounting officers.

In a letter received by Mr. McBRIDE, Joel COLLINS, in relation to citizens of Butler County who served in the War of 1812, wrote:

" Brigadier John WINGATE, with his brigade major, William ROBESON, served a tour of six months’ duty in the army of the northwestern frontier. Colonel James MILLS, With his regiment, assisted in defending Fort Meigs during both the times it was besieged by the enemy. Captain John HAMILTON was wounded and Lieutenant HARPER was killed in Dudley’s defeat at the river Raisin. I saw Colonel Thomas IRWIN at Detroit in the Winter of 1814. He had with him at least two companies from Butler County. I regret being unable to recollect the names of his captains and other officers. I saw passing through Detroit, in the Summer of 1814, a company of mounted riflemen from Butler County, under the command of Captain Zachary P. DEWITT, of Oxford Township. They had volunteered to accompany General McARTHUR, who that Summer made an incursion into the enemy’s country with about five hundred mounted volunteers. They met and dispersed some of the advanced parties of the enemy engaged in collecting supplies near the center of the province of Upper Canada, at a place called Ramsours’ Mills.

" In making up the officers of the Twenty-sixty Regiment of United States Infantry, four lieutenants were selected from Butler County, to wit: Robert ANDERSON, Alexander DELORAC, John HALL, and Anderson SPENCER. Lieutenant ANDERSON was early sent on with the first recruits. He volunteered at Lower Sandusky, and served with distinction as an officer of marines in the naval force on Lake Erie. Lieutenant DELORAC marched with me to Fort Malden in Upper Canada, and did faithful service in that region. He was my messmate, and a most agreeable companion. I understood that the other gentleman were ordered to the Niagara frontier, and remained in the service during the war. "

Captain John ROBINSON commanded a company from the neighborhood of Hamilton. He was a large, jovial, good-natured man, who lived after the war about four miles north of Hamilton. The colonel of the regiment was James MILLS. The lieutenant of ROBINSON’S company, which was in the First Regiment, Third Brigade, and First Division of Ohio militia, was William SHAFOR, who survived the war for sixty-five years, at the time of his death being the oldest man in Butler County. He preserved his muster-rolls, commission, and order-book, and kept a diary for most of the time. It seems to be unfinished. Each of the soldiers received an advance of ten dollars, the ensign of twenty, the lieutenant of thirty, and the captain of forty dollars.

Lieutenant SHAFOR’s diary is as follows :

"February 6, 1813, rendezvoused at Fort Hamilton. Engaged in the United States service for the term of six months in a company of Ohio militia commanded by Captain John HAMILTON, First Regiment, Third Detachment, and started the 17th instant for St. Mary’s, arriving there the 27th. We were then ordered to Fort Logan.

" March 1st, myself and apart of the company were ordered to Fort Wayne, to escort pack horses with provisions.

" March 7th, arrived there.

" On the 24th we returned to St. Mary’s.

" On the 26th we arrived at Fort Logan.

" April 9th, we were ordered to Amanda, and on the same night started to Fort Jennings, arriving there on the 11th.

" On the 12th we went to Brown, and on the same night to Defiance, and on the14th to Camp Meigs.

" On the 27th the enemy made their appearance on the other side of the river, and saluted us with small arms. The compliment was returned with one or two cannon.

" The 28th, they came in the same manner.

" On the 29th, in the morning, they crossed the river, and saluted us on every side.

" On the 30th they began to fire on us early in the morning, and wounded some slightly and one mortally, who died in a few days.

" On the night of the 30th they began to cannonade.

" May 1st, it was continued all day warmly on both sides, but not much damage done. Two were killed and a few wounded.

" Sunday, May 2d, the British played on us more warmly than the day before. No great damage was done. Three were killed and a few wounded.

" On the 3d they began early, and kept it up all day very warmly, and killed and wounded more than any day before. A memorandum of the balls and bombs shot by the British on the 3d is said to be five hundred in the day and thirty-three in the night, besides the Indians shooting all the time all around us, and yelling like wolves night and day.

" May 4th, it began to rain before day and continued till about eight o'clock, during which time the firing ceased. When the rain stopped, the firing began, and was kept up all day. Not much damage was done. Some were wounded ,but it is not known to me how many.

" May 5th, a severe engagement took place on both sides of the river. Colonel DUDLEY’s regiment from Kentucky landed on the north side of the river, and advance down to the British batteries, driving them away and spiking their cannon, but was by a superior force obliged to retreat. They suffered greatly. Out of the whole regiment there were only one hundred and fifty or sixty who came in. The number of prisoners is not yet ascertained.

" On the 6th there was acessation of arms. HARRISON sent a flag of truce to get liberty to bury the dead. The British refused to give the privilege unless General HARRISON would give up the fort.

" On the 7th they came over with a flag, and brought a list of names and number of prisoners, which was three hundred and fifty. The number of British prisoners was forty-two. They were sent home on parole for thirty days.

" On the 8th our prisoners were sent home on parole during the war.

" On the morning of the 9th the British strucktheir colors and left their batteries.

" On the 10th myself and a part of the company volunteered to go out to assist in hunting the dead and burying them on the south side of the river. The number I do not know.

" On the 11th myself and a part of the company volunteered, with a number of Ohio and Kentucky troops, to cross the river to gather the dead. The number found was about forty-seven.

" June 7th, an express came to Camp Meigs that Queenstown was taken, upon which our batteries opened four rounds of cannon as a rejoicing.

" June 20th, we got word that the British were coming to see us again.

" July 2d, a party of men left Camp Meigs to go to Defiance, but were attacked by a party of Indians. Two were found dead ; the rest were all missing, except one, who got back to the fort. He said they were all killed and taken prisoners.

" July 19th, Captain Patrick SHAW and his company of Ohio militia of the First Regiment, Third Detachment, marched from Camp Meigs to Portage, there to remain until further orders.

" On the night of the 20th July, 1813, the enemy was discovered at the old fort.

" On the morning of the 25th the Indians attacked the wood-guard, which was sent out at reveille, and killed five or six, and then continued firing on the garrison all day, doing no damage.

" The 23d, there were one hundred regulars, one hundred and twenty Ohio militia, and some spies sent out to search the woods for batteries, but found none. There appears to be a great stir among the enemy ; but what their intentions are we can't tell.

" On the 26th the enemy began firing about four hundred yards from the garrison, and kept it up twenty minutes or more, which alarmed the garrison very much. Thinking that General HARRISON was coming with a re-enforcement and was attacked, officers and men were very anxious to go to their assistance. General CLAY assured us that it was a sham to get men out; there were no re-enforcements so soon.

“ On the 28th the enemy set sail. From the appearance of their craft they were very numerous.”

Several of the soldiers died on the march or in encounter with the foe. Among them were James HARPER, May 5, 1813 ; Samuel COLBY, May 21st ; Samuel COTLEY, May 21st ; John BYRAM, May 27th ; Robert VANVICKLE, July 2d ; Abraham HUFFMAN, July 15th ; John CAIN,corporal, July 17th. Others deserted. Among these were James CARLISLE and John MORTON. The property of these men was sold and the proceeds turned over to the relatives, who gave Mr. SHAFOR receipts. Here are some of the prices that the articles brought :

Blanket, $ 2.50 ; pantaloons, $ 1.15 ; shirt and pantaloons, $ 2 ;
hunting shirt, $ 2 ; handkerchief, 6 1/4 c; vest, 25c.;
hat, $ 1.87 1/2 ; socks, 50c. ; shoes, 75c. ;
knapsack, 25c. ; pair of mittens, 31 1/4 c. ; flannel shirt, 25c. ;
cup and spoon, 31 1/4 c. ; finecomb, 18 3/4 c. ;comb, 18 3/4 c. ;
roundabout, $ 3.50 ; surtout coat, $ 5 ;linen pantaloons, 25c. ;
woolen pantaloons, $1 ; belt and knife, 12 1/2 c. ; overalls, 75c. ;
seven twists tobacco, 30c.

Mr. SHAFOR records in his book the orders received, and other official papers. On the 17th of June J. H. HAWKINS, acting adjutant, issued an order to the troops by authority of General Green CLAY. Colonel MILLER was thanked for the ability and thoroughness with which he had discharged his duties. The commandants of the Ohio and Kentucky regiments of militia were instructed to cause their respective commands to be exercised each day at least four hours by companies in the manual exercise, marking time, facing, wheelings, etc. From opening of the gates until seven o'clock of the morning, bathing and swimming would be allowed, and after this it would not be permitted. Swimming to the opposite shore was positively forbidden. At four o'clock every morning four men from each company were to be permitted to pass the sentinels, accompanied by a commissioned officer, to gather fruit and salad, the men to go out and return by twelve o'clock. One gill of whisky would be issued daily to each man returned fit for duty. Those returned on the sick list would be furnished at such time and in such proportings as the surgeons might deem proper, for which whisky would be lodged with the hospital stores. The officers were earnestly recommended in every case to pay the strictest attention to the cleanliness of their men. Saturday the men were to be permitted to wash their clothes.

On the 24th of June Adjutant HAWKINS issued an order permitting the men to fish.

On the 25th thecommanding general made known a letter from the Secretary of War, saying:

"The President has been pleased that I should communicate to you, and through you to the troops composing the garrison of Fort Meigs, his thanks for the valor and patriotism they displayed in the defense of the post, and particularly to the different corps employed in the sorties made on the 5th instant {May}."

The general adds that he is persuaded the gallant troops which served at Fort Meigs will duly appreciate the approbation of the chief magistrate of their county, and that it will prove a stimulus to future exertions.

The Fourth of July was duly observed. Orders were issued to the troops as follows :

“ The general announces to the troops under his command the return of the day which gave liberty and independence to the United States of America, and orders that a national salute be fired under the superintendence of Captains GRATIOT and CUSHING. All the troops reported fit for duty shall receive an extra gill of whisky, and those in confinement and those under sentence, attached to this corps, be forthwith released, and ordered to join their respective corps. The general is induced to use this lenity alone from the consideration of this ever-memorable day, and flatters himself that in future the soldiers under his command will better appreciate their liberty by a steady adherence to their duty and prompt compliance to the orders of their officers, by which alone they are worthy to enjoy the blessing of that liberty and independence, the only real legacy left us by our fathers. The court martial now constituted in this camp is hereby dissolved. “

It is one of the most difficult things in war to keep up the standard of health. Officers, as well as men, neglect an attention to details which is necessary for that purpose. This difficulty was met at Fort Meigs. General HARRISON declared that he was mortified that the police of most of the corps was still very deficient. He adds : " Will the officers never learn that attention to the health and comfort of the men is, perhaps, the most important and most honorable of their duties, and that the neglect of this is certain to bring along with it contagion and disease infinitely more destructive than the sword of the enemy ? The general assures the officers that future neglects of this kind will not be passed ever. The lives of the soldiers are too precious to be trifled with. The commandants of corps are directed to make an extra separate weekly report to the general, personally, of the state of their commands as regards police, particularly noting those officers who are attentive to and who neglect this sacred duty. The former will be applauded, whilst the latter will be taken from his commands and made to exchange situations with such of the recruiting officers as are now longing for an opportunity to distinguish themselves." A reward of eight gills of whisky was shortly after given to the best shot, and four gills to the next best. This was to encourage marksmanship.

The following is the muster-roll of the company:


Of a Company of infantry militia under command of Captain John HAMILTON, of the Third Detachment of Militia from the State of Ohio, now in the service of the United States, commanded by Lieutenant-colonel James MILLS, from the sixth day of February, 1813, when first mustered to continue in service, until the sixth day of August, 1813.

Captain --------- John HAMILTON.
Lieutenant ------ William SHAFOR.
Ensign ---------- James HARPER.
Sergeants ------- John HAYNES, Adam STONEBRAKER, Levi HALL, Ebenezer BUDGE.
Corporals ------ John SHORTMAN, John MILLER, John McCLOSKEY, Eli DAVIS.
Musicians ------ Joseph BLOSSOM, Abraham HUFFMAN.


William DODD, Geo. ISEMINGER, Jr., Joseph ABBOT,
Jacob RUSH, Robert JORDAN, George RUSSEL,
David SQUIER, Benoni GOBLE, Stephen SCUDDER,
John BROWN, Moses RUSH, Henry THOMAS,
Thomas JOHNSON, Solomon LEFFER, John FUSTER,
John BRINLEY, Thomas STREET, Nicholas CURTIS,
Shobal VAIL, William STREET, John PORTER,
Benjamin BLEW, John KELLER, Benjamin STONE,
William ANTHONY, Leonard SELBY, Philip MUCHNER,
Benjamin WYNN, Ezekiel VANNOTE, Samuel ROBBINS,
Daniel CLARK, Joseph HINCLE, Henry FRAZER,
Jeremiah JOHNSON, James HEATON, Samuel COLEBY,
David DONAR, Joseph POWERS, Charles STUART,
Peter BROZUNE, Nicholas BAILEY, Arthur PARKS,
Philip HAWK, William RIDDLE, John PIERCE,
Joseph FRAZER, David CONGER, Abraham SQUIER,
Everet VANSICKLE, Christian STINE,


A number of the men did not go out, but appointed substitutes. They are as follows :
Benjamin BERRY, substitute for L. HULL.
Christopher KIGER, substitute for Joseph BLOSOM.
Thomas GREGOR, substitute for Jacob RUSH.
Enoch GALLOWAY, substitute for A. SQUIER.
William PRICE, substitute for John BRINLEY.
John WELLS, substitute for Shobal VAIL.
James WYNN, substitute for B. BLEW.
John MARTIN, substitute for Jeremiah JOHNSON.
David VINNEDGE, substitute for John BRIDGEFORD.
James IMMICK, substitute for David DONAN.
Jacob MILLER, substitute for G. STONEBREAKER.
Warner WINDSOR, substitute for G. ISEMINGER, Jr.
Thomas W. SPENCER, substitute for William MARTIN.
John McCAIN, substitute for B. GOBLE.
James DICKEY, substitute for L. LEFFER.
Samuel BOWLES, substitute for William RIDDLE.
Samuel CHAMBERS, substitute for J. C. NEWHOUSE.
Mark BRINEY, substitute for D. CONGER.
Alexander FLEMING, substitute for N. CURTIS.
Samuel FLEMING, substitute for P. MUCHNER.
Robert McCAIN, substitute for S. ROBBINS.

James HEATON was appointed clerk of the regiment February 8, 1813, and Samuel BAYLES was appointed adjutant the 11th of February.

The next muster-roll, formerly in possession of Lieutenant SHAFOR, is dated May 31st. Upon it appear the names of James CARLISLE, Winthrop EMERSON, Thomas SPENCER, Benjamin STONE, John WELLS, and Warner WYNN. Eli DAVIS was fourth sergeant, Nicholas BAILEY first corporal, John CAIN third corporal, and John PORTER fourth corporal. Christopher KIGER was left sick at Amanda ; John MARTIN had deserted at Hamilton, February 17th ; Robert JORDAN was appointed brigade quartermaster at St. Mary's, April 7th ; James HEATON was appointed brigade quartermaster at St. Mary's, April 7th ; Samuel BAYLES was appointed adjutant, February 11th ; Benjamin STONE was appointed sergeant-major, February 16th ; John WELLS was appointed quartermaster's sergeant, February 16th ; John BAILEY deserted from Fort Logan, April 8th ; and James CARLISLE died, May 21st, at Camp Meigs. At the time of making out the roll four non-commissioned officers and nineteen privates were present fit for duty ; the lieutenant, four non-commissioned officers, and seventeen privates were sick, present ; two privates were sick, absent; eight were on detached duty and on extra service ; four men had been promoted ; the captain was a prisoner ; the ensign was missing ; two had deserted, and two were dead. This made a total of fifty-three, against eighty-one on their original roll. It afterwards appeared that Ensign HARPER, who was reported missing, was dead.

Lieutenant SHAFOR was tried for sleeping on his post. The charge was not substantiated, but the discipline which prevailed at the time must have been very free and easy.

The charge was sleeping on his post, while officer of guard No. 3, about three o'clock of the night of the 6th of July, 1813, and suffering his men to sleep on their posts also. The court was composed of Captains SHAW, HATFIELD, McKUNE, and ENGLE, Lieutenant HOPKINS, and Ensigns SPENCE, and CULP ; Judge advocate, Samuel BAYLES.

Colonel ANDERSON, the complainant, was sworn. He testified that on the night of the 6th , after going the grand rounds, between eleven and twelve P . M . , going a second time at two o'clock, or thereabout, in passing the block-house where Lieutenant SHAFOR had charge of the guard, the sentinel hailed faintly. He then asked the sentinel where the officer of the guard was ; receiving answer that he was asleep or sleeping. The sentinel then asked : " Shall I wake him ? " and made some attempts to do so. Colonel ANDERSON told him he need not, but to tell him, after waking, that the officer of the day had been there, and had found him asleep, excepting the sentinel. He did not see the officer of the guard himself, or if he did see him he did not know him.

Benjamin STONE, the sentinel, said that between two and three o'clock the night of the 6th he hailed the officer of the day, who gave the countersign. STONE then called to the sergeant to parade the guard. The officer of the day said it was not worth while to parade the guard, but tell the officer of the guard that the officer of the day had been there. He called his officer twice, but received no answer.

Question by the court. " Do you know whether the lieutenant was asleep or not ? " Answer. " I do not. He arose immediately after the officer of the day was gone. There was no noise that could have awakened any person after the colonel went away before the lieutenant rose. "

Q. " How far were you from the lieutenant when he arose ? "
    A. " About one rod and a half. "

Q. " How far were you from the officer of the day when you hailed him ?"
    A. "About two rods."

Q. " Did, or did not, you hail loud enough for a man to hear, that was not sleeping ? "
    A. " I can not tell. "

Q. " Was your hailing Colonel ANDERSON louder then his answer ? "
    A. " I think the answer was the loudest. "

John JOHNSON, the sergeant of the guard, heard Colonel ANDERSON tell the sentinel that he need not parade the guard, but tell the officer of the guard that the officer of the day had been there. Sergeant JOHNSON did not know whether Lieutenant SHAFOR was asleep or awake at the time in question.

John COLLINS testified that he was on guard that night with Lieutenant SHAFOR, sitting up nearly all night. He did not find him asleep at any time. He had heard the questions of the officer of the day, and the hail of the sentinel.

After deliberation, the court-martial found Lieutenant SHAFOR not guilty of the charge, and unanimously acquitted him.

Lieutenant SHAFOR's commission read as follows:

" THOMAS KIRKER, Speaker of the Senate, now acting as Governor and Commander-in-Chief of the State of Ohio, to WILLIAM SHAFOR, ESQ., greeting :

" Know you, That from the special trust and confidence which is reposed in your fidelity, courage, activity, and good conduct, I have, by virtue of the power vested in me, appointed you, the said William SHAFOR, lieutenant to a company of militia in the second battalion, first regiment, second brigade, first division, Ohio militia, and do, by these presents, commission you accordingly, with all the privileges thereunto appertaining. You are, therefore, carefully and diligently to discharge the duties of lieutenant as aforesaid, agreeably to law, and such instructions as you shall from time to time receive from your superior officers and the commander-in-chief.

" In witness whereof, the said Thomas KIRKER, now acting as Governor and Commander-in-chief of the State of Ohio, hath caused ‘ the great seal of the State of Ohio' to be hereunto affixed, at Chillicothe, the 19th day of May, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and seven, and of the independence of this State the fifth.

"THOMAS KIRKER. " By the Governor,
" Attest : WILLIAM CREIGHTON, JUN., Secretary of State. "

This has two indorsements.

"STATE OF OHIO, Butler County.---- Before me, Daniel STRICKLAND, justice of the peace, came William SHAFOR, and took the oath of a lieutenant in a company in the second battalion, second brigade, first regiment, and first division of Ohio militia, and took the oath to support the Constitution of this State and of the United States.

Given under my hand, this 15th day of February, 1813, "DANIEL STRICKLAND, J. P. "

The other indorsement is his discharge :
"BUTLER COUNTY, ss.---- I do hereby certify that I have this day accepted the resignation of William SHAFOR.
" Given under my hand, this eighth day of April, 1815. " THOMAS IRWIN,"

Col. 1st Reg't., 3d Brigade,
1st Division, of Ohio Militia. "

In Liberty Hall, a newspaper of Cincinnati, May 13, 1812, we find the following account of John ROBINSON's company :

" Agreeable to general orders, the company who volunteered from the third brigade of the first division of Ohio militia, commanded by Captain John ROBINSON, who have manifested their zeal and attachment to our government by making a tender of their services in the cause of our country and its rights and privileges, met at Middletown, in the county of Butler, on Monday, the 27th instant, for the purpose of marching to the general rendezvous at Dayton. On the occasion, and to manifest an approbation of the courage and integrity of those brave volunteers, the citizens of Middletown and its vicinity, animated with that spirit which the government, freedom, and privileges of the American people ought always to inspire, came forward and gave a liberal and elegant breakfast to the corps on the morning of the 28th instant, before they proceeded to march. The subscribers, the Rev. Matthew G. WALLACE and Mr. William BIGHAM being present, were invited to partake with the corps. The repast being ended, an appropriate address was delivered by Mr. WALLACE to the corps before they left the table, and concluded with a prayer well adapted to the occasion. The greatest attention and good order prevailed amongst the soldiers and numerous crowds of citizens who attended the scene ; after which the volunteers took their station to march, with the greatest spirit and composure ; and being impressed with a just sense of the zeal and patriotic spirit manifested by the people, and as an acknowledgment to those worthy citizens, and the ladies in particular, who contributed such attention and the most extreme exertion to accommodate and accomplish such a noble and generous act, the subscribers thought it their duty to communicate the same to the public prints, as a testimonial of the gratitude we feel toward such generous and noble actions.


" MIDDLETOWN, April 25, 1812. "

At a respectable meeting of citizens of Fairfield Township, at the house of Mr. Joseph COLBY, in Hamilton, on the 4th of July, the following toasts were drunk :

1. " The United States May her sons possess the fire of patriotism which animated the bosoms of their ancestors, and drive the proud Britons by the sword, and with the tune ‘ Yankee Doodle,' from her shores into Pandemonium. "

2. " The Army of the United States----May they have no ARNOLDS, or other accursed traitors, for their commanders."

3. " The Canadas----May they see the perfidy and oppression of their old mother, and with disdain flee from her ranks to the standard of the American arms, and learn to feel the glow and animating spirit of patriotism."

4. " Our Militia----May they be well organized, and with Roman valor fight to a man for liberty, in the present war."

5. " Congress----May the cursed tories, if any, in our national councils, be hurled headlong from their seats to the gallows."

6. " May we find plenty of WASHINGTONs and WAYNEs in our present war, who will hang all tories, traitors, and British spies."

7. " May the Americans support their standard, and bid defiance to all foreign depots."

8. " The President of the United States----May his determined mind, in signing the proceedings of Congress in the present crisis, be remembered to our latest posterity."

9. " George CLINTON---- May his successors emulate his virtues."

10. " The State of Louisiana----May the dignity in which she is placed cause her to be an ornament to her sister States."

11. " The Savages on our Frontiers----As their existence depends on our arms, may they sue to us for peace."

12. " The departed Heroes----May their sons emulate their fathers' virtues."

13. " General HULL---- May he soon hoist the American standard in Malden."

14. " Our Navy----Despised by Britain, may they deal destruction to the British ships."

15. " May all the British ships which attempt to sail through Hellgate, to burn New York, sink to Hell eternally."

16. " The State of Ohio----May her patriotism be an example to her sister States."

17. " The Kentucky Militia----The dread of our savage foes."

18. " The Fair Sex----May their embraces be an ample reward for our intended victory."


" The Surviving Patriots who fought in the late Revolution----May they live to see an honorable peace proclaimed."

We find, also, in an old newspaper of the time the following advertisement of the recruiting officers :


To every able-bodied man, from the age of eighteen to forty-five years, who wishes to enlist in defense of the honor and independence of their country for the term of five years,

A Bounty of Sixteen Dollars

will be paid ; and whenever he shall have served the said term, or obtained an honorable discharge stating the faithful performance of his duty while in service, he shall be paid three months' extra pay, and

160 Acres of Land;

and in case he should be killed in action, or die in the service, his heirs and representatives will be entitled to the said three months' pay and one hundred and sixty acres of land, to be designated, surveyed, and laid off at the public expense.

To those who prefer enlisting for eighteen months the same bounty, additional pay, and clothing will be given {the bounty in land excepted}, as if enlisted for five years. The following places are appointed, and a rendezvous opened for the enlistment of soldiers in the new army for this district, under the undersigned officers :
At Cincinnati, HUGH MOORE, Captain U. S. Army.
At Hamilton, Butler County, LEWIS HOWEL, First Lieutenant U. S. Army.
At Middletown and Eaton, Preble County, PHILIP P. PRICE, Second Lieutenant U. S. Army.
At Staunton and Troy, Miami County, E. B. BASKINVILLE, Ensign U. S. Army.
CINCINNATI, July 11, 1812.

Besides those mentioned above, Thomas IRWIN served a tour of duty of six months in the Ohio militia as a major. Robert ANDERSON, of the township of Ross, entered the commissary and pack-horse service at the beginning of the war, but in the early part of 1813 received a commission as lieutenant. He was first placed upon the recruiting service, then joining General HARRISON's army at Sandusky. The fleet was insufficiently manned, and Lieutenant ANDERSON volunteered his services, acting as an officer of marines during Commodore PERRY's active service on the lake. He received a silver medal, by order of Congress, as a testimonial of his bravery and good conduct during the action. He then joined the northern army, in which he served until the conclusion of the war. General BROWN was his commander.

Dr. Daniel MILLIKIN marched at the head of a company of his neighbors up to the frontier, and narrowly escaped being shot by an Indian. John WOODS, afterwards the leader of the bar here, but who then lived in Warren County, did his duty as a soldier. He was included in the last draft of the Ohio militia, which was made in 1814, and was in the garrison at Fort Meigs when peace with Great Britain was proclaimed. The Rev. Matthew G. WALLACE, to prove that the clergy were not behind the laity, also went out as a captain.

Colonel Matthew HUESTON, who had served valiantly in WAYNE's army, saw service in the war of 1812. General HULL surrendered on the 16th of August of that year, and the whole country immediately armed to prevent a recurrence of the disaster. HUESTON volunteered his services, and marched, with a number of other, to Fort Wayne, for the relief of that place, which was then besieged. After being out two or three months, he was appointed purchasing agent for the contractor of the Northwestern army. He bought a vast number of horses and a large quantity of provisions in Butler County for the supply of the army. He continued to act in that capacity until the close of the war.

Charles K. SMITH, then a mere lad, was out with his father, who was a paymaster and acted as clerk.

Hundreds of others might be mentioned did we possess perfect records, and the reader will find accounts of many of them scattered through the township histories. The war of 1812 marks an epoch in the annals of this county. Settlements had then been begun in every quarter, and although the forests covered a much larger extent of the country than the cultivated land, yet there were farms and cleared patches everywhere. Schools were beginning ; there were a dozen Church organizations, although but three or four meeting-houses ; and the main roads were laid out. It would seem to us now very savage ; but it was in reality a great advance upon the wilderness. The population was 11,150, just about a quarter of what it is at present.