Waimate Hospital - Past Trivia

Presume this is the entire staff of Waimate Hospital about 1894. Elizabeth Jane Gardiner, far left. Matron at back, probably Mrs Jane Chapman, she would have been 56 years old. Two porters and cook and kitchen maid. 

The information they provided was as accurate as memory permitted. There were four mistakes in this article.

A number of sod built cottages were built at Sodtown in the Waimate's early days. The area became the site of Waimate Hospital. A cottage hospital was built on the site of former SOD TOWN in 1874-5. A larger building was erected in 1878. Dr Deane (from Blenheim) was appointed resident surgeon in December 1878.

Cyclopedia of New Zealand, Canterbury edition. Vol. 3 pg 1065
The Waimate Hospital stands on sixteen acres of ground about a quarter of a mile outside the boundary of the borough, on the Waimate Gorge road. Ten acres of the land are freehold and six are held under a nominal rent from the Borough Council. The hospital, which can accommodate forty patients, is built in brick and concrete; and, besides two wings which contain the main wards, it has a fever ward, and several small rooms for the accommodation of patients. The grounds near the hospital are tastefully laid out in gardens, in which there is a picturesque little building, which is used as a smoking and reading room for convalescent patients. Dr. Barclay is Medical Superintendent, and the hospital is connected by telephone with his surgery in Waimate. The working staff resides on the premises, and consists of the Matron, three nurses, a wardsman, a housemaid, a cook, a laundress, and a gardener.

Mrs Jane Chapman, Matron of the Waimate Hospital, was born in Melbourne, and received a home education at Merri Creek, Coburg, Victoria, where she was brought up. In 1863 she became the wife of the late Mr William George Chapman, of Merry [Merri] Creek. Mr. and Mrs Chapman were appointed Master and Matron of the Waimate Hospital in 1887 but six years later Mr. Chapman gave up his position owing to ill health, and was an invalid till the time of his death, in 1893. Mrs Chapman, however, has continued to act as Matron, and had full charge of the Hospital until 1893. [?died in 1906 in harness]

Marriage: CHAPMAN - MESSEN - On the 21st inst, at St John's Church, Melbourne, by the Rev. John Barlow, William G. Chapman, of Pentridge, to Jane, only daughter of the late James Mussen, Esq., of Greenbank, Pentridge. [There was a son William Edge Chapman and he had four daughters.]

Source: NZSG Cemetery Fiche
Year of Death 1906
Record Type M/I
Age 68
Cemetery: Addington Cemetery, ChCh
From DIA BDMs - she died 7 June 1906
CHAPMAN, William George
DOD:  8 June 1893
Cemetery: Addington
Age: 61 years

page 144 photo
Captain Herbert Clifford Barclay, of the Waimate Rifles, was born at Timaru in 1866, and is the third son of the Rev. George Barclay, who was the pioneer Presbyterian minister of South Canterbury. He was educated at the Timaru High School and Otago University, where he studied medicine and surgery, and graduated M.B., Ch.B., in 1889. He took his M.D. degree in 1891. In 1896 he visited Great Britain, and gained the diplomas of M.R.C.S. (Eng.), L.R.C.P. (Lord.), and F.R.C.S. (Edin.). After graduating, he and Dr George Copeland were the first two medical men educated solely in New Zealand to be appointed to public positions— namely, as medical officers of the Dunedin Hospital, and after he had been serving there for one year, Dr Barclay was appointed surgeon superintendent of Waimate Hospital. Captain Barclay has been a member of the Waimate High School Board for some years, a member of the Timaru High School board of Governors, a member of the Waimate Borough Council, and he was also for two years and a half mayor of the borough. He was surgeon-captain to the Waimate Rifles, and he is now captain of the company.

Dr Barclay of Waimate, N.Z., left per Warrimoo the Commonwealth Contingent as surgeon.
Dr Herbert C. Barclay, Medical Superintendent of Waimate Hospital from 1890 to 1917, on an overseas trip
Herbert Clifford Barclay. MB ChB NZ 1889, MD NZ 1891, MRCS LRCP 1896, FRCSEd 1896. Regd 1 May 1889: Dunedin Hosp/Waimate/Maidstone, Kent. HS Dunedin Hosp 1889; he and Dr GA Copland were first wholly NZ-trained doctors appointed to hospital service. Surgeon supt Waimate Hospt 1890-1917. Apptd public vaccinator for Waimate 11 Dec 1891.Mayor of Waimate 1898-1900, and surgeon-captain Waimate Rifle Volunteers. Appt temp PHO for Oamaru 9 Feb 1904, resg 1905. Author of "Lectures on elementary anatomy and physiology" After WW1 he practised in London, and was removed from the NZ register in 1921.

The Matrons

Emma & William Petit		Matron & warden 1875-1886
Mrs Jane & Wm George Chapman 	Matron & Master in 1887. She resigned in 1893. 
Agnes Cruden 			Matron 1906-08. 1909 April - Nurse Agnes Cruden, resigned
Elizabeth Shanks 		Matron 1909-10
Mabel Mander 			Matron 1910 still there in 1915
Hamilton Mrs Ellen Mary Margaret Anderson Matron Dec 1917-1919 [husband Edwin John Anderson)
Miss Letitia Lindsay 		Acting Matron then Matron Jan 1920 to 21 or longer unsure
Miss Nicol 			1923 -
Miss S.F. Farquhar		Matron 1929-1942
Miss Eva Puttick 		Matron 1952-1962

Kai Tiaki : the journal of the nurses of New Zealand, Volume II, Issue 1, January 1909, Page 33
Miss Elizabeth Shanks, staff nurse of Riverton Hospital, has been appointed matron of Waimate Hospital, taking the place of Miss Cruden, who resigned recently.
At a ward concert on 13th January, Miss Shanks was presented by the Hospital patients with a Queen Anne tea set, suitably inscribed.
Nurse Marion Brown, a successful candidate at the recent State Examination, has been promoted to the staff nurse's position rendered vacant by Miss Shank's departure.

Kai Tiaki : the journal of the nurses of New Zealand, Volume II, Issue 2, April 1909, Page 69
Nurse Cruden's Farewell

On the eve of her departure for Christchurch, Nurse Cruden, Matron of the Waimate Hospital, was entertained by the staff of the Hospital at a social on Friday evening, (29th January). The orchestra was present, Father Aubrey being conductor. The selections were interspersed with songs, cornet, and violin solos. From the main corridor where the concert took place, an adjournment was made to the largest ward, where all present were assembled. Miss Watt (one of the probationers) presented Miss Cruden with a bag fitted out with nursing pharaphernalia, on behalf of the staff ; also a framed picture of the nursing staff. Miss Watt paid a warm tribute to the parting guest. She had sympathised with the younger nurses in their troubles, and helped them in their studies, and they felt parting with her very keenly. Dr. Barclay (Medical Superintendent) said Nurse Cruden had been Matron two and a half years. During the twenty years he had been Medical Superintendent, Nurse Cruden was the only Matron they had been able to farewell as they were then doing. He then paid a warm tribute to Mrs. Chapman, the late Matron, who had "died in harness." Nurse Cruden came as trained nurse, it had been quite unnecessary to issue orders to her at all, it was only requisite to express a wish, and it was realised at once, and that was how things should be. Personally, he felt the parting very much, and he could only wish her long life and prosperity. Mr. Hayman, in a neat little speech, then presented Miss Cruden with a watch on behalf of the patients in hospital. Mr. Miller At will, representing the Hospital Trustees, also made reference to Miss Cruden's abilities, and expressed good wishes for her future. Father Aubrey, on behalf of the Clergy, thanked Miss Cruden for her kindness to the clergy in their ministrations for the sick. Her traditions would be an ideal to those following her. Mr. Atwill, a member of the Trustees, returned thanks on behalf of Miss Cruden. The guests were then regaled at supper, and the function ended.

Page 67
Miss Cruden resigned her position of Matron of Waimate Hospital, and is now private nursing in that district. A presentation was made her on leaving the hospital, an account of which is given. Miss Shanks, who has been staff nurse at Riverton Hospital for some time, was appointed Matron.
Miss Clyne, who has been in charge of Dr. Barclay's private hospital, in Waimate for some years, has resigned, and is private nursing.

Staff - In those days you worked through your training and stayed in the Nurses Home.

Ashburton Guardian, 12 June 1905, Page 2
Miss Esther M. Grates, formerly of the Timaru Hospital nursing staff, has been offered, and has accepted, the position of head nurse of the Waimate Hospital. She takes up her new duties on Saturday next.

Jessie Bremner 1895-97
Lucie S A Quinn 1897-1900 became Mrs Carl
Esther Gates at Waimate for 1905 then to private nursing
Sister L. Wellwood (28 years service)

Sister L. Longsin (32 years service)
Sister M.E. Guilbert (27 years service)
Mr W.G. Paul steward-secretary from 1918-1942
Mr J. D. Samuel from 1942 to 1964

Charlotte M Bird (Mrs Laird) 	1904 State ex year later Riverton Hospital - Matron 1907
Annie Buckley 			1904 State Ex Year - Waimate Hospital Cert
Charlotte Greelish 		1907 State Ex Year - Waimate Hospital Cert, married July 1908
Neels Rachel (Mrs Adams) 	1910 State Ex Year - Waimate Hospital Cert
Margaret Watt 			1911 State Ex Year - Waimate Hospital Cert 
Mary Gorman 			1912 State Ex Year - Waimate Hospital Cert
Violet Trott 			1915 State Ex Year - Waimate Hospital Cert
Rose Battes 			1913 State Ex Year - Waimate Hospital Cert
Clara Wilkes 			1915 State Ex Year - Waimate Hospital Cert
Mary Josephine Dore 		1918 State Ex Year - Waimate Hospital Cert
Rita Bremner  			1932 Waimate 

Appendix to the Journals of the House of Representatives, 1904 Session I, H-22

Otago Witness, 10 April 1907, Page 59
The visitor to Waimate can easily spend several days visiting the places of interest in and around the town. A drive through the gorge, or a visit to the Hook bush, are among the pleasures that may be obtained by a buggy drive or motor run ; but more easily accessible are the parks and grounds in the vicinity of the town. Victoria Park, where most of the athletic contests take place, is pleasantly situated, and affords shelter from the heat. Close to it lies the Hospital — well worth a visit. Approaching by a drive bordered by flower beds, one sees a substantial building of pleasing appearance. To the right is a group of tents. One of these is a lounge for the male patients, the rest for outdoor treatment of chest complaints. A small wooden building is used as a smoking room by the men. Inside the usual hospital orderliness prevails. There are four wards — dispensary, operating theatre, and a fever ward in a separate building. The visiting doctors are H. C. Barclay, M.D. , and Margaret Cruickshank, M.D. The matron (Miss Crudon) is assisted by a staff of nurses. The building is ideally situated, commands a view of the Hunter Hills and the entrance to the gorge. The small cottage that once served as the hospital is now the ' Nurses' Home. If asked for a single phrase to describe this institution one would say that brightness characterises it. The situation and the management are the twin sisters that seem linked to bring this about.
    Knottingley Park, a little further away, yet within easy walking distance, is well worth a visit. It consists of 70 acres laid out in plantations, grass, and artificial ponds. The caretaker's house by no means detracts from the picturesque appearance of the place. This is a favourite place for memes.
    The Technical School adjoining the District High School has commenced its session for 1907. An able staff of teachers conduct classes in the following courses:— Commercial, Trades, Domestic, and Art. Those students who have passed Standard VI are admitted free to technical classes if in addition they attend the classes in English and arithmetic.

Otago Witness 15 April 1903, Page 28 MINISTERS IN WAIMATE.
WAIMATE, April 8.
The Right Hon. the Premier, accompanied by the Hon. T. Y. Duncan, left Oamaru by the north express yesterday, and at Studholme Junction were joined by the Hon. W. Hall-Jones (Minister of Public Works). The party, which also included Mr Moran, M.L.A., ex -Minister of Lands in the Throsal Government, Western Australia, came on to Waimate by ordinary train, and on arrival were met by Sir William J. Steward (member for the district), Mr John Manchester (Mayor), and the councillors, all of whom were introduced to the visitors. Sir W. J. Steward, in a few words, welcomed the party to Waimate, and the Premier, standing in a drag, briefly addressed the assemblage, thanking the people for the welcome they had given the visitors, and expressing his pleasure at visiting Waimate for the first time. He remarked that no Prime Minister had visited the district since the time of Sir George Grey. The party then drove to the hospital, where they were received by Dr Barclay and the matron (Mrs Chapman). They were shown over the institution, and subsequently Mr J. Sinclair (chairman of the Hospital Trustees) and Mr A. Walker (member of the Hospital Board) interviewed the Premier with a view to obtaining a separate hospital district for Waimate. At present Timaru governed Waimate, which was quite able to look after its own sick and poor. Mr Walker also suggested that boundaries should be fixed between the districts by a commission. In reply to the Premier, Dr' Barclay said the hospital had about 160 patients to attend to during the year. Sir W. J. Steward said the present position was that Waimate got back from the Timaru Hospital Board a little over what they paid in rates. The Timaru Board kept the whole of the Government- subsidy on Waimate's contributions. The Premier said he had been previously informed of all the circumstances from Waimate's point of view. He would probably, now be informed of the other side of the question, and the whole matter would receive full consideration. It appeared to him that the dispute could be settled by adjusting the boundaries of the two districts.

In 1945 a new public hospital built. 

Christchurch Press 15 Nov. 1996 by John Keast
Its doors closed on September 30 and the last 14 patients moved to a new home in central Waimate, Lister Home, a 24 bed facility. In 1874 the Waimate Road Board recommended to the Superintendent of Canterbury the urgent need for a district hospital. A cottage hospital was built but this was unsatisfactory. After a public subscription amassed £2244 the hospital was built in 1879. The Hospital and Charitable Institutions Act of 1885 brought unease to Waimate. The control of the hospital was threatened. It set in motion what was to become an endless battle for separation. Waimate citizens did not want the South Canterbury Hospital Board to control their hospital. In 1909 the Government was preparing the New Hospital and Charitable Act Bill and an amendment to the bill was suggested, the fifth, was appended. It read, in part: "The South Canterbury Hospital Board shall keep open for the treatment of inpatients and outpatients at the hospital at Waimate and shall at all times efficiently maintain it to the satisfaction of the Director-General."
During World War Two Major G.T. Hennessy, Waimate member of the South Canterbury Hospital Board, said New Zealand would have to cope with 30,000 sick or wounded men from the war. Waimate, he contended, must do its part. This set off a chain of events that led to work on a new ward block. In 1967 Oct. 17 the South Canterbury Hospital Board decided surgery at Waimate should be restricted to minor operations and causalities. In 1969 Pitts Ward, named after a Waimate doctor, Dr A.G. Pitts, was closed.  In 1977 the hospital beds were reclassified to 40 long-stay geriatric and 24 medical and surgical.  In 1982 the maternity ward was closed.  In 1992 Waimate set up the Waimate Health Developments Trust and was successful in running the former nurses home as a stand-alone accommodation unit for individuals and groups. On 4 May 1993 the Fifth Schedule was repealed and with its going the future of Waimate Hospital. In 1995 the Waimate Hospital Marquette Ward closed.

The Waimate Hospital lies empty except for some hospital beds and equipment. The Christchurch Press 15 Nov. 1996.

Waimate Public Hospital plaques - Heritage plan
Arthur Gentry Pitts (who served Waimate Hospital with distinction 1916-1954)
William Gardner Paul (secretary / steward of Waimate Hospital Committee 1918 - 1942)
Ronald George Shackleton (who served the Waimate Hospital with Distinction 1926-1964)
Thomas Wilson Wylie (who served the Waimate Hospital with Distinction 1920 - 1950)
Dr Margaret Cruickshanks (Waimate Hospital 1896-1918 - The Beloved Physician)
Plaque commemoration the sinking of the SS Marquette
Waimate Hospital Committee (the men and women on Waimate Hospital Committee 1904- 1993)

2 December 2006 Timaru Herald

Memories generated by the Waimate Hospital display at the Waimate Museum transport you back to images of starched uniforms, ward rounds and strict regulations for patients, staff and visitors. A maternity ward set up with an original iron bed, formica topped bedside cabinet, green cloth screen and wire metal baby bassinette on a stand is a reminder of the days when giving birth was a medical procedure. The mother was kept in hospital for up to a fortnight with nursing staff providing everything. Baby's feeding, bathing and sleeping routine was a rigid schedule, strictly enforced. Napkins were supplied and laundered by the hospital laundry department. This was also a time when doctors in white coats did a 9am ward round. Nurses would have been busy making sure all patients were tucked up, almost lying at attention in bed, top sheet turned back, bottom corners folded in and no wrinkles on the bedspread. The ward was in a pristine state awaiting inspection. Matron led the procession of doctor and ward sister as they moved from bed to bed and patient prognosis was reported on. Nurses discreetly at a distance lined up at the ready, spotlessly turned out with hands behind their back. The original sign from the fever ward of "Infectious diseases! Visitors are not allowed past this railing" harks back to when tuberculous was widespread and feared. Nurses wore masks and gowns at all times and had to shower immediately when finishing a shift. Strict isolation was imposed, staff were x-rayed annually for signs of TB. Fresh air and sunshine were part of the treatment and to keep dust down wet tea leaves were spread on the floor and swept up. Electric drills with cutting blades, hand drills, saws, kidney dishes, wheelchairs, microscopes, surgical instruments, bandage winders, crutches, scalpels and clamps are just some of the array of medical apparatus and instruments showing an age of heavy metal items that were sterilised in an autoclave and reused. A time before disposable everything. Bedpans and bottles were white china, later becoming enamel. Patients' meals were served on crockery with Waimate Hospital emblazed on it in red. Photographs from the first cottage hospital through to the hospital closure, showing the progression of hospital buildings, gives an idea of the size, complexity and how styles developed. A photo of an octagonal wooden building with a wind-vane on top in the silhouette of a pipe was the smoke house used by patients who smoked. In 1948, when then Minister of Health Mabel Howard was inspecting the premises prior to officially opening the new wards, she saw the smoke house and ordered its abolition, saying: "Burn it. There's no sentiment where health is concerned." Although impressed by the new modern maternity ward named after Dr Margaret Cruickshank, New Zealand's first practising female doctor, Mrs Howard was appalled at the temporary accommodation the nurses had been living in for 16 years. "No good, you can't expect nurses to live in hovels," she declared. Giving strength to the campaign for new nurses quarters. This was a time before crown health enterprises, regional health authorities and resource consents! The lifeblood of a hospital is the staff, brass plaques from the hospital commemorate doctors, nurses and events and are displayed on the corridor wall. June 1877 and the Waimate County Council resolves the township of Waimate be proclaimed a municipality and government asked to exercise its prerogative accordingly. Public donations of $758 (374) and a subsidy of $1496 (748) from the Waimate County added to the government subsidy and the first Waimate Hospital was build in 1878. In 1885 the hospital and Charitable Institutions Act put the Waimate Hospital under the control of the South Canterbury Hospital Board. The district was not comfortable with this situation. Even after two magisterial commissions they were not prepared to give up their autonomy and in 1905 they petitioned for a separate district. In 1909 they eventually won their special protection under the fifth schedule of the Hospital and Charitable Institutions Act. In 1932, to continue this protection when it looked as though control would be lost to Timaru, the debate was taken to Parliament and after much discussion an amendment to the fifth schedule was made securing their future governance. This read: "The South Canterbury Hospital Board shall keep open for the treatment of inpatients and outpatients the hospital at Waimate". Waimate was justifiably proud of their hospital. It was a long, hard battle to get established and it became a series of battles to build it up to a modern, 80 bed facility, the battles continuing until the last patient left in 1996. Two books that trace the unique history of Waimate Hospital are available at the museum. Bernice E Shackleton wrote the Fifth Schedule as a centennial history of the hospital from 1874 to 1975. The other book completes the story of Waimate Hospital and is called The Final Schedule and was written by Russel D. Wallace and covers the years 1973 to 1996 and the closing of the hospital. Both books offer an exceptional insight into a community and their fight for a hospital. By Margaret Mather.


10 December 1998 The Evening Post

Bernice Shackleton, journalist: Born in Waimate, November 14, 1901; ed Waimate DHS, Columba Clg (Dunedin); d Waimate, December 3, 1998. Bernice Shackleton was one of the first woman journalists to take on parliamentary reporting - at a time when the Press Gallery was closed to women. She was also the first woman to gain the Diploma in Journalism, in 1927, from Canterbury University College. Shackleton went on to be assistant editor of the Christchurch Star from 1929 to 1935. It was a unique circumstance then for a woman to hold such a position on a metropolitan newspaper. She also wrote a daily editorial called "A woman's point of view" described as somewhat of a feminist forum in the 1930s. Shackleton was the foundation president of the Christchurch Business and Professional Women's Club and was a strong advocate of the full recognition of women's equal status in the community. Between 1936 and 1938 during Labour's first time in Parliament she covered the sittings of the House from the still segregated public gallery. Her political column, syndicated in the four main centres, had nationwide impact and drew fire from the floor of the House. An early president of the Waimate Council of Women, she was also a New Zealand representative on the press committee of the International Council of Women. During the Second World War, she was secretary of the Waimate Women's War Service Auxiliary, the Lady Galway Guild and local commandant of the Women's Transport Corps. After the war she became interested in Corso and in 1949 became publicity officer for the Corso national office. She received a long-service award certificate for her work. Shackleton went into semi-retirement for more than a decade while looking after her elderly parents. But in 1965 at a time of public agitation about the fate of Waimate Hospital she was elected to the South Canterbury Hospital Board and appointed to the Waimate Hospital Committee. Then at the request of the committee she wrote a centennial history of the hospital. It took eight years to write The Fifth Schedule: The Story Of Waimate's Open Community Hospital which was published when she was 82. Shackleton was presented with the Queen's Service Medal in 1985 for her work as a journalist and her involvement with Corso, women's affairs and local body affairs. - NZPA

[In Bernice Shackleton's book "The Fifth Schedule" there is a chapter on the Marquette. Five of the nurses lost were from Waimate. Mary will be the daughter of Kate and John Gorman whose farm was at McCullough's Bridge. Mrs Shackleton describes Mary as coming from Kapua, K & J Gorman bought the property in 1899 and later sold it to their daughter and son - Margaret and Andrew (1934). ]

Auckland Weekly News Thursday 27th May 1915
The members of the first contingent of NZ nurses for service in Europe sailed by the Marama from Wellington for Sydney on Friday. Miss Cameron has been appointed matron in charge of the contingent. She has been matron in charge of the St Helens Hospital, Christchurch and previous to that was at the Waikato Sanatorium for two years and 5 years at St Helens Christchurch. She was trained in Australia, having been a member of the staff of the Owen's District Hospital, Victoria. GORMAN, Mary, Waimate.

Physicians and Surgeons

Australasian medical gazette: the journal of the Australasian ...: Volume 1 - Page 8 1882
Chilton, Maurice Alfred, L. et L. Mid., R.C.P. et R.C.S. Edin., late of Christchurch, N.Z., has been appointed Surgeon to the Hospital at Waimate, at a salary of £200 per annum.

Timaru Herald, 26 July 1884, Page 2
Dr Chilton. — Dr Maurice Chilton, who some time ago was resident surgeon at the Timaru Hospital, and subsequently surgeon in charge of the Waimate Hospital, has just been appointed to the charge of the Wellington Hospital.

Dr Charles M. Deane - Dec. 1878, from Blenheim
Dr Borrie enlisted for war service
Dr T.H. Fisher
Dr Arthur George Nicholls photo

Dr A. St. John
Dr T.W. Wylie
Dr J.W. E. Eton, medical supervisor
Dr B.A. Ford
Dr G.M. Thomson
Dr Thomas was replaced by Dr Ford and around the same as Dr Brook-Smith replaced Dr St John.
Dr R. Brock-Smith.  *These three work with Dr R Brook-Smith
Dr H G Williamson* replaced Dr Ford
Dr M Tooke* Dr Jack Eaton
Dr B Satchwell* replace Dr Tooke in Feb 2005 to make him the last doctor to start at hospital.

North Otago Times, 30 June 1883, Page 2
Dr Gray Hassell has been appointed surgeon of the Waimate Hospital. The other candidates were Drs Low, Dunedin, and Blair, Invercargill. Three months' notice was given to the staff of the institution, and fresh applications ordered to be called.

SHACKLETON Ronald George, MB ChB NZ 1923, FRCSEd 1925, LM Dub 1925. Regd 11 Sept 1929: Christchurch Hosp / Waimate / Christchurch. Born in Waimate 1899. GP and med supt Waimate Hosp. Died 2000 aged 100. Obit NZMJ 2000; 113: 408. Father of Dr Michael Shackleton (regd 1955). [Deleted from NZ register 15 June 1989 at own request – omitted from revised REX]
Who’s Who in NZ – father of Dr Michael E Shackleton, leader of first NZ team in South Vietnam 1963
Obit NZMJ 2000;113/408 b. Waimate 1899 educated Waimate & Timaru BHS (head prefect) - father bought EC Hayes, Waimate practice for him - one of last GP surgeons, retiring in 1964
NRAM Cotter Medical History Trust Y3710 – includes 2-pp from Shackleton's draft memoirs and biographical notes

HAYES Edwin Claude, MRCS LRCP 1904. Regd 15 April 1907: Wellington / Waimate / Merivale, Christchurch. Born in Waimate, Cant and educated at Otago BHS. Trained at Barts. Served in WW1. Died in Christchurch 24 Aug 1952 aged 73.
OBHSreg 1895-7 – Capt in RAMC – mayor of Waimate
IGI Family Search ECH b. October 1878 Timaru, father Alpheus Hayes
NZSGI NZ probate Christchurch 2210 NA/C (will) – for father see Reports of Public Petitions A to L Committee 1891 p.2 + d. c. 1899, `farmer’, NZ probate Timaru 517 NA/C (will) & Christchurch 3932 (1900) NA/C (intestate).
NRAM Cotter Medical History Trust Y2782 – includes letters and biographical notes sent to Pat Cotter from members of Dr Hayes' family

PITTS Arthur Gentry, MRCS LRCP 1901, FRCS 1903. Regd 1 March 1907: Christchurch / Waimate. OBE 1955. Died in Waimate, Cant 5 June 1957. Husband of Dr Edith Cochrane-Brown.
IGI Family Search b. 1875 Hampstead London + Arthur GP b. c. 1876, London St Pancras – he is the son of Robert Pitts b. c. 1848 Crowland, Lincoln, draper’s assistant and Mary AP b. c. 1848 Ilford – RP’s sister Julia lives with them and is headmistress in a board school (x1881 census)
NZSGI CCSL 422 – NZ probate Timaru 135/57 NA/C (will)
Plarr Lives 1952-64 p.338 b. c.1880 studied Charing Cross Hospital, London.
Mr A.G.  Pitts and a Mrs Pitts arrived in Wellington 12 August 1907 on the "Athenic" from Plymouth.

COCHRANE-BROWN Edith, MB ChB Edin 1903. Regd 29 Feb 1904: Christchurch / Waimate. Changed name on register to Edith Cochrane PITTS after her marriage to Dr AG Pitts. Deleted from NZ register 19 Sept 1934, no reply to letter. Continued to live in Waimate.
NZSGI NZ probate d. 1953 Timaru 152/53 NA/C (will)

Evening Post, 10 August 1903, Page 5
By this week's San Francisco mail (says the Christchurch Star) Mr. E. Cochrane Brown [sic], of Strathmore, has received letter confirming the cable message previously received regarding his daughter, Dr. Edith Cochrane Brown, M.B., Ch.B. Dr. Brown has gone through her course in five years without once being ploughed, and on the day following the publication of the final lists was offered the position of locum tenens for a Perthshire doctor. She has accepted this for the term of her stay in Scotland. She will leave for New Zealand by the Athenic this month, arriving about the middle of October. Her visit will be a purely holiday one, and she will not practise. About six months later she intends to return to the Old Country and the Continent for further practical experience.

Otago Witness, 19 April 1905, Page 68
Dr Edith Brown has left for London, she is to be married to a doctor.

Evening Post, 10 August 1905, Page 4
PASSENGERS BY THE ATHENIC. The Shaw-Savill liner Athenic, due from London via Capetown and Hobart about the 1st inst., is bringing the following passengers for New Zealand :— Pint saloon: For Lyttelton — Dr. E. Cochrane-Brown.

Otago Witness, 23 May 1906, Page 64
Dr Edith Brown, accompanied by Miss Ensor, has gone on a pleasure trip to Sydney, intending to visit the Blue Mountains and the Caves.

Otago Witness, 20 February 1907, Page 64 Christchurch
On Tuesday afternoon a very pretty wedding took place at St. Michael's Church, when Dr Edith Brown, only child of Mr T. Cochrane Brown, Christchurch, was married to Dr Pitts (England). The ceremony was performed by the Rev. Canon Averill, the best man being Dr Unwin, of Timaru. The bride, who was given away by her father, looked very handsome in a gown of ivory duchesse satin, made with a court train, and trimmed with Honiton lace. She had three bridesmaids — Misses Cochrane, Townend, and M'Owen, who wore gowns of white Brussels net trimmed with bands of white velvet. Instead of hats, they wore veils fastened with small wreaths of pink roses. After the ceremony the guests were entertained at "Strathmore," the residence of the bride's father, where a large marquee had been erected on the lawn and arranged as a drawing room. Among those present were Mrs M'Owen, who wore a handsome gown of grey cloth, black hat, and carried a bouquet of crimson roses ; Mrs Ensor, handsome gown of black brocade, black and white bonnet; Mrs Walter Ensor, lovely gown of painted chiffon relieved with rose-pink velvet, pink and pale grey hat ; Mrs Humphries, gown of grey and green shot taffetas, hat with mauve; Mrs Finch, handsome gown of dark green voile over cream silk, black hat ; Mrs R. Anderson, black voile with handsome lace trimmings, black and cream hat; Mrs S. B. Manning, pretty gown of chine silk, cream toque; Mrs T. Wilson, pale blue voile, cream toque; Miss Cabot, black and white muslin, cream hat with roses ; Miss Johnston, handsome black taffeta gown, black hat with plumes; Mrs J. Stevenson, beautiful gown of champagne taffetas, cream toque; Mrs Hammersley, gown of cream canvas, black hat; Mrs S. Saunders, black voile gown relieved with white, black and white toque. The bride's going-away dress was of dove-grey crepe de chine, and small white toque with wings.

Arthur Gentry Pitts died at the age 81 7th June 1957. Edith died at age 73 on 9 April 1953. Looks like they lost a daughter Joan Gentry Pitts died 1 May 1923 at age 13. They were  all buried in the Anglican section at the Waimate Cemetery.

Grey River Argus, 8 January 1896, Page 4
SCIENTIFIC SURGERY. (Lyttelton Times, October 29, 1895.) In no branch of medical science have greater advances been made of late years than in abdominal surgery. Forty years ago, or even less, recovery after an abdominal operation was so rare that such an operation was looked upon as a last resort, a desperate attempt at a remedy, to be tried only when it was clear that all other means would be of no avail. It has been stated that, on the lowest estimate, 90 per cent, of those persons who underwent abdominal operations 40 years ago, even at the hands of the most skilful surgeons of the time, died. Nowadays more than 90 per cent, recover. Indeed, with some specially able operators, and where the surrounding conditions are favourable, the mortality is not higher than 3 or 4 per cent. Taking an average of all classes of operations and all sorts of conditions, it may, perhaps, be put down at 7 or 8 per cent. What is the reason of this? Does it lie in improved manipulative skill. Hardly. The surgeons of 40 years ago were, on the whole, as good operators as those of to-day ; their judgment was as correct, their eye as true, their hand as steady. The improvement is not so much in the men, as in technique, in the conditions under which the men work. The fearful death rate among patients who underwent operations "in the trunk" 40 years or so ago was due, not to bungling surgery, but to an influence, unsuspected, but powerfu1, the influence of germs, acting after the operation had been performed. Nowadays, medical men know much more about these unseen but potent enemies of man than they did a generation ago ; they know bow to kill them, how to prevent them from gaining access to the patient when he is most susceptible to their influence. In short, they know how to ensue an operation being performed with perfectly healthful surroundings. The technique, which formerly was bad, is now good ; and the patient recovers where he formerly would have died. It is obvious that an institution which will improve the technique of the surgery practised in a district confers a benefit to that district both directly and indirectly. Such a benefit is about to be bestowed upon Christchurch by Mrs T. Cochrane Brown, of a private hospital which has been placed under the control of Dr. Townend, in which cases will be treated under conditions as nearly perfect as they can be made by modern science. It seems a pity, by the way, that it should have been left to private enterprise to establish such an institution, but so much more kudos must be allowed to the promoters who have done what the representatives of the public have not yet ventured to attempt. The new hospital is at Strathmore, on the Ferry road, near the corner of the East Belt. Here, pleasantly situated, with a high hedge, a lawn, and trees enough to give just enough privacy and shelter, stands a large two-storeyed house water, from which every part of the room can be thoroughly washed by means of hose. The fittings and furniture of the operating room will be thoroughly aseptic, and have been ordered from Richard Kny and Co, of New York. The operating table is to be one designed by Dr. Edelhohls, consisting of three plates of polished French glass, set in iron frames, and with rubber castors. It is adapted for general operations, and specially for laparotomy and gynaecological work. There are to be a large steriliser for purifying surgical dressings and the doctors' and nurses' clothing, and a smaller one for sterilising instruments. Heat is the purifying agent in these appliances. An electric-plated boiler, resting on a marble slab, will be used chiefly for sterilising the water employed in the operations, for every drop of water used in the room has to be rendered absolutely free from even the suspicion of the presence of the dreaded germs. This boiler will be heated by a gas flame, the fumes from which are to be carefully conducted outside. There is to be a special instrument table, with trays of glass and metal. The chairs will be of iron, and, in short, every article in the room, is to be of such a nature that there will be the smallest possible danger of it harbouring germs. The other rooms are constructed with the utmost attention to sanitation. To minimise the accumulation of dust there are no mouldings, and the junctions between walls and floors are curved. The windows are provided with counterbalancing sashes, and are so devised that the fresh air is admitted and the vitiated air withdrawn without any draught being felt. For winter ventilation there are vent flues connected with the warm-air chamber already mentioned. Some other offices are lined with glass, in order to render them aseptic, and the latter are approached through intercepting lobbies, ventilated by means of double windows. Hot and cold water is laid on throughout the building. The design for the new portion of the premises was prepared by Mr. S. Hurst Seager, A. R. I. B. A.

By John Keast 19 May 1997 
The Christchurch Press

Locked doors found open, unnerving encounters - the empty wards of Waimate Hospital harbour a restless spirit. Waimate Hospital is closed, but a tortured spirit dwells within. It is the Grey Lady, and she is restless. The troubled hospital, closed on September 30 last year, is haunted. Locked doors are found open, the sound of breaking glass is reported but nothing found, and ambulance officers who have stayed in a hospital building tell of disturbing encounters with a spirit. Former nurses believe the Grey Lady is the spirit of a former woman patient. The nurses asked not to be named for fear it would identify the woman, who died at the hospital and is buried at Waimate. They say the woman was beaten at home and spent many weeks at the hospital in the 1960s. The woman was afraid to leave the hospital for fear of further beatings, and sought the company of those she knew would not hurt her. The nurses believe there has been a ghostly presence at the hospital for many years, and say night staff would often find doors inexplicably open or closed. A security worker says locked doors in the almost-empty hospital are found open; the sound of breaking glass is reported but nothing found. He is convinced a spirit is at work. Ambulance officers who use part of the old hospital as a training base report frightening experiences. Doug Third, ambulance training officer for Otago and Southland, said he and students were staying there early last year. He said he woke suddenly in his upper-storey room for no apparent reason. The room was not cold - until he opened his eyes. He said he felt as if someone was in the room, and the temperature dropped in an instant. He ran for the light switch, turned on the light, yelled, and the room temperature rose quickly again. Mr Third said he knew something had been in the room: his hair stood on end, and he could not feel the weight of the blankets. He was terrified, and could not sleep again that night. Kirk Pilgrim, a Gore ambulance officer, said he spent four nights at the hospital and had three frightening experiences. He said that for three nights in a row he woke in a cold room with sweat running down his face. He felt as if there was someone in the room but he could not see anyone. The room was always cold when he woke, but it warmed after a while. He said he was too scared to leave the room, and his skin felt as if it was crawling. Another ambulance officer, Shane Batchelor, of Invercargill, said he was working at a computer in his room while at the hospital. His light was on, and he suddenly felt as though someone was standing behind him. He spun in his chair to confront the person - he thought someone was playing a trick - and froze. He said he could not see anyone but stared at something for nearly two minutes. He said he did not feel threatened - a sentiment shared by the nurses and the ambulance officers - but was frightened. He would be reluctant to go back. Former nurses said there had always been reports of a spirit presence at the hospital, particularly from night staff, and there were varying accounts of whose spirit it might be. One theory is that it might be that of a woman who hanged herself from a toilet chain in a ward in the 1940s. Staff found the body swinging in the moonlight. An independent observer, who did not want to be named, said she felt the presence of several spirits in the hospital. The nurses say they were always afraid to go to the basement, and there were reports over the years of rumbling noises. They were told it was the plumbing. No-one would go to the basement alone. They are sure the spirit - the Grey Lady - is seeking company and means no harm. A former hospital official believes the spirit is restless now that the hospital is closed to patients (district nurses still use one ward). The spirit was at peace when the hospital was still operating. The nurses believe that if the spirit is that of the former woman patient, she will be seeking company in an afterlife, as she did in life.

By Jill Worrall. 13 November 1997 Timaru Herald

Women today can almost take it for granted that career-wise they can do just about anything they want. But go back a few generations and the picture was very different, as reporter Jill Worrall found out when talking to Bernice Shackleton of Waimate. It's so easy to make assumptions: If I had seen frail 95-year-old Bernice Shackleton resting on her bed at Lister Home without knowing anything about her, I would have assumed she had probably had a long life that revolved around home and family. But Miss Shackleton - who is still spry of mind, if not of foot - in her young days began breaking down the barriers that up until then had kept women out of journalism. She was born in Waimate in 1901, the year the Boer War ended. Her father marked both occasions by naming his new baby Bernice, meaning "Bringer of Victory". It was a powerful name that proved to be eminently suitable for the young Bernice. ...Health issues are close to her heart. After returning to Waimate to care for her mother, Miss Shackleton was elected to what was then known as the South Canterbury Hospital Board and also served on the Waimate hospital committee. She will venture one comment: "We were always battling for funds too." The achievement she regards with greatest pleasure is her book The Fifth Schedule, an account of the history of the Waimate Open Community Hospital, which she wrote when she was over 80 years old. She has two words of advice for young women about to venture into the workplace: "Be competent".

28 September 1997 Sunday Star-Times

IT'S TOUGH enough to attract new blood to Waimate at the best of times. The small community of 7620, 45km south of Timaru, is suffering the small town syndrome of an ageing, declining population. It's doing its best to entice people to detour off State Highway One for a visit, but it is much harder to make them stay. Since losing the 124-year-old Waimate Hospital last year, the township can no longer offer full medical facilities. For the most minor surgical procedures, and even x-rays, residents have to make the 40-minute trip to Timaru - and that hospital is downsizing according to the Alliance's list. "At Waimate we have no surgery at all and no beds for recuperation. They cut toenails here, and that is about it," says mayor David Owen. "You get older people coming here for a quieter life, to get out of the Christchurch rat race. One of the things they ask is `what are the health services like?' "We've seen so much of that in the last year, but now the bigger hospitals are facing cuts." Mr Owen said a piece of Waimate's history died when its hospital closed down last September. It had grown over the last century from a three-room cottage hospital to a modern 80-bed facility. There were threats of closures in the early 1900s, but World War II, ironically, brought hope. Waimate was called on to help cope with the 30,000 sick and wounded returning soldiers. It led to the hospital being effectively rebuilt and it flourished until the late '60s when health chiefs decided to cut services for minor operations and casualties. In February 1994, further major cuts were proposed. There was a brief plan for a new hospital-rest home on site, but it never eventuated. On September 30, 1996, Waimate's remaining geriatric patients were dressed in their Sunday best and quietly left. Mr Owen said Alzheimers sufferers and other patients needing secure facilities, still have to relocate to Timaru or Christchurch. Meanwhile, Waimate Hospital is empty, apart from odd pieces of medical equipment and broken beds. "Health has taken a big turn in the last 18 months. I do believe we are heading for a disaster and we must be near there now," Mr Owen said.

2 December 1998 The Christchurch Press

WAIMATE - Instruments from the Waimate district's surgical past are being gathered to gleam anew. The saws, knives, clamps, tubes and syringes rescued from the disused Waimate Hospital will be displayed, in a twist of history, in a disused jail. Waimate Museum display curator Susan Foley hopes to have the project finished by Easter. Visitors can then step into two strange worlds - a theatre within the stout walls of a jail. The old jail was last used in 1996 when a new police station was built in the South Canterbury town. Its two rooms, each with a sturdy bolt and iron peephole, were finished in 1947 and replaced Waimate's original jail, made of totara, and still on museum land in Shearman Street. Mrs Foley said an operating table would be set up in one cell and surgical instruments in the other. Items gathered from the hospital - empty and awaiting its fate - include amputation equipment, a gas leak indicator, a nasal douche, obstetric instruments, and all manner of boxes and packages. Mrs Foley said the museum had a $2000 grant from WestpacTrust to set up the display.

By John Keast 5 October 1999 The Christchurch Press

Frustrations caused by moves to get rid of the old Waimate Hospital are embarrassing, says Health South Canterbury chief executive Craig Climo. Mr Climo, in a letter to Waimate Mayor David Owen, said the frustration arose through the desire to quit the buildings, and the difficulty in doing do. He said Health South Canterbury, as a company, had fiduciary responsibilities, and could not walk away from assets that had value. However, HSC had an obligation under the Health and Disability Act to be socially responsible. In any event, HSC would always have regard to the community. Mr Climo was responding to a letter from Mr Owen about the hospital, which closed its doors several years ago, and which costs HSC up to $40,000 a year to maintain. Mr Climo said a complication was that HSC had proceeded in the belief that the hospital had no realisable value. Only recently, however, as part of the disposal process, a valuer could not exclude the possibility of a cash gain for HSC. "We have no option but to test this by putting the property on the market," he said. "The hospital will be offered subject to Ngai Tahu settlement requirements, subdivision if applicable, and obtaining clear title. It will probably be offered in three parcels." Mr Climo said that if no attractive offers were received HSC would "walk away from all but Hunters Lodge".

23 August 2000 Timaru Herald

In the small hospital room carpenter Ken Blackman twists the wooden wedges into the patient's plaster cast to bend it into shape. He holds and turns the man's feet allowing the doctor to drive the wedges into the cast. This was the scene at the Waimate Hospital in the 1960s, and Mr Blackman's skills as a carpenter were put to good use. Mr Blackman's story is one of many which Waimate woman Joyce Cooper has recorded as part of her work compiling oral histories from people in the town. "Dr (Ron) Shackleton came to me one Sunday night and asked me if I would go up to the hospital and make a frame for a little fellow who had broken his femur," Mr Blackman remembers. "I had to made a frame to go across the cot so they could hang him up by the legs. I worked from six o'clock to nine o'clock that night. "Another night I can remember a gentleman had broken legs. They had put him in plaster and it wasn't right, so I had to make little wooden wedges which were driven into the plaster to bend the leg a bit more. I had to stay on the job and hold his feet and twist them so they could drive the wedges. Every time I twisted them, he let out a bit of a yell and I would let them go again - I wasn't supposed to do that." Mrs Cooper has so far interviewed 35 elderly folk on what it was like growing up and living in Waimate. Most of those she had spoken to were aged in their 80s. Her time lately has been spent talking to employees at the Waimate Hospital. And while the stories were all quite different, they shared a common theme of hard work and dedication, she said. For instance, one of the hospital's domestic workers remembered how in the 1930s she worked from 6am to 7.30pm, with only one half day off a week from 3pm and every third Sunday from 10am. "People loved working at the hospital," Mrs Cooper said. "It was a really well thought of occupation in the community. "A lot of older people feel the respect has gone. Everyone in those days had a title. They were Miss, Mrs or Dr. Often now people are referred to by their christian name," Mrs Cooper said. The stories will be housed in the Waimate Museum's archives and a summery of each tape will be made and stored on computer. The oral histories will add to the town's social history and form a new dimension to its recorded history. Mrs Cooper hoped in years to come the oral histories would be listened to by descendants of the story tellers.

Minister's visit helpful in alleviating health worries 27 March 2002 Timaru Herald
05 February 2002 By Helen Pickering

Waimate's health problems will need a long-term solution, though associate Health Minister Ruth Dyson's visit to the region yesterday is a step in the right direction, health development committee chairman Peter Foley said yesterday. Ms Dyson was invited to the district to view the health problems it was experiencing and Mr Foley said the visit had been fruitful. Waimate, like other rural areas, has had a hard job attracting and retaining doctors in the district, and there were also some funding issues. Mr Foley said the main thing that came out of the meeting was that the community had to come together. "It doesn't matter whether its medical, business, local or central government – we all have to work together to find a solution to our problems and unless we do that we will not go ahead. Mayor David Owen said Waimate used to have three doctors, it now had 1.5. Six years ago it also had a hospital and now it had a rest home. However, he said there were a number of other good health strategies like the very strong community nursing programme. Mr Owen said there were funding issues that were also causing problems for Waimate and Ms Dyson had left determined to ensure Waimate got the funding it deserved and was entitled to. Many of the problems were simply down to putting patients in the right category.

1 September 2003 The Christchurch Press

The disused Waimate Hospital has been sold to Ngai Tahu Property Group at its valuation of $65,000. South Canterbury District Health Board chief executive Craig Climo said the Minister of Health had confirmed the sale proceeds would go to the board on condition they were used for reinvestment in board facilities. The board in February approved the sale, subject to the Crown disposal process being completed. Sale was on condition the property's reserve status was revoked within three months.

20 February 2004. The hospital had been left to deteriorate while negotiations over its ownership dragged on. Mr Owen said the place had been  "trashed'' by vandals. ``But that is the reality of life when a place is deserted. I am a bit sad that it has been allowed to be trashed, though.'' The hospital was in an excellent location and a lot of local residents wanted some sort of development on the site. ``It is such an idyllic setting.'' The hospital closed in 1995, and Waimate Health Developments offered services from the adjacent Hunter Hills Lodge.

27 March 2004 Timaru Herald

A decision was made yesterday that Hunters Hill Lodge (the former Waimate Nurses' home), owned by the South Canterbury District Health Board, is to be transferred to Waimate Health Developments free. Hunters Hill Lodge was part of the former Waimate Hospital site which was subdivided in two and has been dealt with by the board in two parts. Waimate Hospital was recently sold to Ngai Tahu while the lodge is retained by the board and leased to Waimate Health Developments, a charitable trust. The transfer from the board to Waimate Health Developments is conditional on three things. SCDHB chief executive Craig Climo said once the transfer took place the board would have no further interest in the property and would not be liable for maintaining it.

18 August 2004 Timaru Herald

The Waimate District Council looks to have missed out on securing the former Waimate Hospital site. St John Properties, which bought the site off South Island Maori tribe Ngai Tahu for $65,000, has decided to advertise the site for expressions of interest. When St John Properties bought the site it was a decision that annoyed Waimate mayor David Owen because he said the council had been told it had the first option to purchase the it. Negotiations have dragged out since February this year, but it now looks increasingly unlikely the council will purchase the site. Mr Owen said St John Properties' asking price was too high for the council and unless the price dropped the council will lose interest. The council was keen to purchase the site because it had several international investors keen to use the it. Mr Owen said he had had "very recent" discussions with one international investor, but that was as far as things had gone. St John Properties director Tony Wilkin said he had decided to seek expressions of interest for the site because the council had taken too long to make a decision. Mr Wilkin plans to subdivide the 3.51 hectare site into 450 square metre sections. Roading and other services would be established as well. It is "most likely" the hospital will be demolished and the rimu timber used for second-hand furniture.

25 May 2005 Timaru Herald

Waimate people are being offered the chance for a last look around the old Waimate Hospital (built on 1872) before demolition crews move in within the next fortnight and start pulling buildings down. Owners Les and Jayne Buckingham have offered to open the gates this weekend to give people the chance to have a wander through while all the buildings are still standing. A $2 entry fee for adults will be charged, with money raised going to support the Waimate High School netball and rugby tour to Australia in 2006. The original hospital was built in 1879, and the hospital was expanded, and remained operational until 1996 when it was closed down. In its latter years, the hospital mostly catered for the care of the elderly. The Buckinghams bought the 3.2 hectare site in November, and plan to demolish parts of the hospital, including the old men's, women's and maternity wards and the surgical block, retaining the original part of the hospital with the aim of converting it into a home.

16 November 2005 Timaru Herald

With the death of Betty Kennedy, the final link is lost of the golden age of surgery which was practised at the Waimate Public Hospital. She joined its medical team in 1952. For 30 years the remarkable threesome -- Doctors Pitts, Shackleton and Wylie -- had shared the hospital's rotating superintendency and surgical duty. In the days when specialties, such orthopaedics were still developing, few hospitals had greater skills than Waimate. Transport to larger hospitals was not easy, and there was no question but that local doctors had to treat, as far as they were able, whatever came along. The medical team's record at the Waimate Hospital 1930-60 was described as brilliant and unique. On Cup Day 1954, there was a horrendous car accident on the main south highway. It was reported that victims were taken to the Waimate Public Hospital in a sea of blood. Nine hours of continuous surgery followed. No life was lost and the medical team's accomplishment was widely hailed, particular mention being made of the efficiency, skill and calmness of theatre nurse E Campbell. Betty Campbell was born in 1927 on Hannington Road, Studholme. She was educated at Hannington School and Waimate District High School. Her nursing career began immediately, initially as a nurse- aid at Waimate Hospital, and sitting finals at Cherry Farm, she then graduated from the Otago Hospital Board School of Nursing and went on to obtain a certificate in maternity nursing at Hamilton in 1953. In 1966 Betty married Tom, a member of the well known Kennedy family. They shifted to Twizel, and through the 1970s and 1980s, Betty worked as a practise nurse in the town. Retirement brought the family back to Waimate, where happy and sociable years were spent. Her final months were spent in the care of Lister Hospital. She is survived by her husband Tom, daughters Denise (Perth), Teresa (Dunedin) and son Robert (Kalgoorlie).

Extensions will take St John into future
20 November 2006 Otago Daily Times

A $200,000 extension to the St John building in Waimate will provide for the future needs of the organisation and the local community. The 200sq m extension was officially opened on Saturday and heralds the third stage of a facility built in 1961. The extension has a public area, office for a permanent station officer, sleeping facilities for out-of-town staff, a recreation-study area and a practice room. It has been built on the site of an old garage - replaced by new garages to the rear - that used to house the ambulance. The extension reflects the growth of the service provided by St John to the Waimate community. Building committee representative Grant Eames said before the Waimate Hospital closed in the 1980s, St John had 150-200 call-outs a year. It now handled 650 a year.

24 January 2007 Timaru Herald by Emma Bailey

What may have provided peace and solace in Waimate's past, has shifted to Timaru to start a new life. The Waimate Hospital Chapel, which later became the "Blue Lounge" was shifted to Timaru man Ray Bennett's property late last December after he bought it from hospital owner Les Buckingham. Mr Buckingham is in the first stage of developing the hospital ground which has involved subdividing off land on the road front. The old chapel was the only room which could be shifted in one piece. We are demolishing everything now but the original part of the hospital. After we have done that we will subdivide another five sections. He plans to restore the original hospital and eventually live there. Once I got the idea in my head it sort of became an an obsession. There is something about the place, it has real character. Parts of the hospital being demolished are being dismantled by hand with as much material as possible being salvaged. By the end of the year I hope to have demolished all the buildings we plan to. The third stage is to subdivide off another 10 sections. The builder has had his share of new homes, but currently lives in a home built in 1914 with the hospital to be his family's next home.

Fifty Years Ago

1960 Nurses' Aid Medal. Photo courtesy of Margaret Todd

N.Z. Registered Nursing Aid Training

It has been fifty years this since this class graduated in March 1960 at the Waimate Hospital after two years training.  Mrs Bernice Shackleton presented their medals.  Dr Shackleton was a surgeon at the hospital, and his wife Bernice a notable journalist. Photo from left: Miss Eva Puttick (Matron), Ngaire Colville, Margaret Gray, Sister Jane Caird (Tutor Sister)
Front row from left: Sierra Levy, Ethel Johns, Pam Dyne. Mrs Bernice Shackleton presented their medals.

There were no registered Nurse Aids at Timaru Hospital. Later pre 1967 a Registered Community Nurse medal was issued to practicing Registered Nursing Aid staff as Nurse Aid training had ceased. Later this was replaced with an Registered Enrolled Nurse medal so it was possible for these girls to have three different medals during their career. There was no enrolled nursing education programmes offered in New Zealand  from 1993 until 2000 and then in September 2004 the title of enrolled nurse was changed to “nurse assistant”  for those who had trained after 2000. The Community Nurse badge was usually sent back to the NZ Nursing Council  and exchange for the Enrolled medal. This must have been in the 1970s.

1960 Nurses' Aid Medal. Photo courtesy of Margaret Todd  

Evening Post, 6 October 1914, Page 8
NURSE DROPS DEAD. WAIMATE, This Day. Miss Eleanor Douglas Grigor, employed as an emergency nurse at the Public Hospital, dropped dead yesterday. At the inquest to-day the medical evidence disclosed that deceased had a weak heart, a bilious attack causing rupture.

North Otago Times, 2 September 1898, Page 3 WAIMATE HOSPITAL BOARD
The monthly meeting of the above Board was held on the 31st. In the absence of the chairman Mr Sinclair was elected to preside, Mr Coltman tendered an apology for Mr Douglas, who was unavoidably absent. The minutes of the last meeting were read and confirmed. Mr Nichol brought up a request from the subcommittee recommending that Dr Barclay (who has gone on a sea voyage for the good of his health) be granted two months leave of absence. The recommendation was approved. Dr Burns (Dr Barclay's locum tenens) was in attendance on the Board. In reply to Mr Coltman, the Chairman said the night nurse was not at present engaged.

				Males 	Females	Total
At last return .... 		11 	5 	- 16
Admitted during month 		 8 	2 	- 10
Treated 			19 	7 	- 20
Discharged 			13 	6 	- 19 
Remaining at 31st August 1898 	 6 	1 	-  7 

Waimate Daily Advertiser, 31 May 1900, Page 3
The usual monthly meeting of Waimate Hospital Board was held yesterday afternoon; present, Messes Sinclair (chair) Hardie, Atwill, Studholme, Inkster, Ross and Walker. Dr Barclay sent an apology absence. The return of patients showed that 10 males and 4 females were in the hospital at the beginning of the month ; 8 males and 7 females had been admitted ; 11 males and 1 females discharged ; one male had died : leaving 6 males and 5 females still under treatment.

Waimate Daily Advertiser, 11 October 1900, Page 2
Waimate Hospital. A few particulars regarding one Hospital may be found interesting. The total number of patients admitted during the year was 132, and with those under treatment on the 31st of March, 1899, a total of 146 was reached. Of these, 131 were discharged and six died, leaving nine under treatment on the 31st March, 1900. The total collective days in Hospital was 3689, and the individual average days' stay 25.27. The daily average cost per head was 6s 7½d, and of this, patients paid 5s 10 ½d. There were fifty-two individual cases of outdoor patients, who attended 229 times. The following are the countries to which patients belonged ; England, 21 ; Scotland, 10 ; Ireland, 27; New Zealand, 67; Australian colonies, 6 ; Isle of Man, 1 ; Norway, 1 ; Austria, 1 ; Mauritius, 1 ; Sweden, 1 ; Shetland Islands, 1 ; Wales, 1 Germany, 1 ; America, 1. Truly a representative gathering.

Wanganui Herald, 25 May 1905, Page 5 MASTERTON, May 24.
At a meeting of the Masterton Hospital Trustees to-day Miss H. Petrement, of Wellington, was appointed matron of the Masterton Hospital, Miss Ethel Harley (Waimate) senior nurse.

Otago Witness, 6 May 1908, Page 39
Nurse Black and Nurse Rattray have resigned their positions on the Waimate Hospital staff, and Nurse McGinley (from Cambridge) and Miss Shrimpton (from Oamaru) have been appointed.

Otago Witness, 5 May 1909, Page 39 Waimate
May 3. — During the coming winter Dr Pitts was to lecture to a home nursing class and Dr Barclay to a first-aid class. The Mayor (Mr Francis) presented Mr Shrimpton with the silver medal, and certificates to the following: — First aid certificates — Drs Pitts (2) and Cruickshank were present.

Evening Post, 30 May 1916, Page 7
There are a number of New Zealand Army Nurses on board the hospital ship Egypt, including A. Buckley (Waimate).

Kai Tiaki : the journal of the nurses of New Zealand, Volume XVII, Issue 4, October 1924, Page 175
On the 28th of August, 1924, at Timaru, Nurse Frances Henderson (late of Waimate). It might truthfully be said of Mrs. Henderson that she was the "ideal nurse." Unsparing of herself and untiring m her zeal, she gave to her patients her very best and was loved and respected by all. She was obliged to give up her hospital on account of her health, and died m her sister's home at Timaru, after a long and painful illness which she bore with characteristic patience and unselfishness. She was buried m Waimate, and on the following Sunday a memorial service was held m St. Augustine's Church, when Canon Cocks chose for his text: "Let her own works praise her in his gates/ 7 and closed his address with these words: Farewell, Frances Henderson May many years pass before your name is forgotten, and may the seed of unselfish service sown by you grow and blossom in his generations that are to come, so that though your name may be forgotten on earth, God will recognise a great multitude who are the spiritual children of that ideal of service which marked your life among us!" Mrs. Henderson received her training in his Dunedin Hospital, and will always be affectionately remembered by those who trained with her. She had spent 17 years in his Waimate district, m her noble task of tending to the sick and distressed. She was of similar calibre to Dr. Cruickshank, to whose memory a public memorial has been erected to commemorate her good deeds. The large number who attended the good nurse's funeral demonstrated the affection m which she was held.

South Canterbury NZGenWeb Project

Canterbury nurses in postcards

NZRN - male nurse medal

Evening Star 1 October 1910, Page 4
—Rules of Health.—
Fresh air at night, by day both air and sun;
Pure water, dust-free rooms, the hours made good
With honest work, and just a little fun:
Dry, fresh, loose clothing, frequent baths,
a hand
Quick to give help—these, more than gold are wealth,
While love and laughter fill a happy land.
Long life to all! These are the Rules of Health.