Wanganui Herald, 3 October 1887,
There are Squatters and Squatters.
Mr H. J. Sealey, perhaps the severest critic of large landowners New Zealand has famished, says in his book published some years ago : "A typical examples of squatting under its most beneficial aspect, I might mention Mount Peel and the Orari Gorge Stations. Here we see large tracts of rugged mountainous country, only a very small portion of which is fit for cultivation, held by the descendants of the old landed families of England, who have been trained up in the traditions of the duties and responsibilities of proprietorship, which have been thus defined by the celebrated Dr Johnston, " a man of family and estate ought to consider himself as having charge of a district, over which he is to diffuse civility and happiness." You see scattered around the head station little comfortable cottages, each with its neat garden, and upon inquiry you find that the married shepherds, ploughmen, gardeners, and others live in these and bring up their families in comfort at Mount Peel station there is a handsome little stone church built by the proprietor, in which every Sunday the men with their wives and children assemble for worship, service being held at intervals by a regular clergyman, and at other times by a lay reader. On both of these stations the proprietors reside permanently, having large families and households, so that the evils of absenteeism are avoided, and the children brought up in the country acquire a patriotic love for their native land."
These two stations belong respectively, Orari Gorge to Mr C. G, Tripp, and Mount Peel to the Hon J. B. A. Acland, M.L.C. Both runs are on purely mountainous country, where the present owners are safe from the pressure of settlement for many years to come, yet they have purchased largely and spent immense sums in improving their steep hill country, Mr Tripp especially, who has not enough level land to make a single farm. For many years he offered prizes at the agricultural shows for the best hillside plough, as his extensive breaking up could only be done with a turn-wrest " Every penny he has made out of his sheep," says the Temuka Leader, "has been spent in improvements, and his profits have thus passed out of his hands into the pockets of his workmen, to whom he has always been liberal and kind. No one has ever heard of Mr Tripp combining with others to out down wages, and we feel certain the Kaffir importers of Amuri will receive very little sympathy or support from him. He is not one of those that has derived immense benefits from the Public Works Policy, yet he is not afraid of bearing his share of the burden which that policy has placed on the shoulders of the people of this colony. . . He has been to England recently, yet he has not returned ''shuddering" at the presence of Sir Julius Vogel in Parliament. drawing 1878
Timaru Herald Thursday 8th July 1897
page 1. Funeral Notice. The friends of the late Mr Charles George Tripp are respectfully informed that the Funeral will leave the Orari Gorge Station on Friday, the 9th inst., at 12 o'clock noon, for the Woodbury Cemetery.
J. Radcliffe, Undertaker
page 2 Death.
TRIPP - On 6th July, 1897, at Timaru, Charles George Tripp, of Orari Gorge, Woodbury, Geraldine, in his 72nd year.
Page 3 Obituary
Death of Mr C.G. Tripp
One of the pioneer settlers of Canterbury, a model settler, and a popular one, Mr Charles George Tripp, of Orari Gorge Station, passed away on Tuesday night, after a severe illness, at the age of 72. The cause was an internal evil, with enlargement of the liver. He was taken seriously ill in Wellington between two and three months ago, and after lying here some tome was carefully and successfully brought to Timaru, on the way to his home at Orari Gorge, which fated not to see again. Mr Tripp sent for his son, C.H. Tripp, and finally arranged his affairs. Mr Tripp was the third son of the late rev. Dr. Tripp, Rector of Silverton, Devon, and was born at Kentisbeare, in that county, in 1st July 1826. He was educated at the Merchant-Taylor's School, London, and being brought up for the legal profession was called to the Bar at Lincoln's Inn 30th April, 1853. In the following year, at the age of 28, he emigrated to New Zealand, in company with Mr (now the Hon.) J.B.A. Acland, who was for many years his partner, arriving in Lyttelton in January 1855 on the Royal Stuart. In the later part of the year Mr Tripp came down to explore the south of Canterbury, and on returning to Christchurch was greeted as one who had visited an unknown world. The result of that excursion was that he and Mr Acland became the pioneer pastoralists upon the hill country of Canterbury, taking up what are now the Mount Somers, Mount Possession, Mount Peel, and Orari Gorge runs. They were the only pioneer settlers who were able to retain the lands that they originally took up. In May, 1856 Mr Tripp started from Christchurch with drays and men to establish a homestead at Mt Peel, and the party reached their destination after a toilsome journey of sixteen days. For four years he lived in a primitive sod whare, working hard early and late, making grand illuminations in the burning season when clearing off the dense dead tussock and thick fern, that the pioneers found covering the hills, and gaining a reputation as fearless and successful explorer. On 23rd September 1858 at St. Michael's Church, Christchurch, he married Miss Ellen Shephard, third daughter of the late Bishop Henry John Chitty Harper who with four sons and four daughters survives him. The sod whare then gave place to a more commodious dwelling at Mt. Somers. In 1862 Mr Tripp paid a visit to the Old Country, and on returning settled finally at Orari Gorge where he made a home. As a sheep farmer he steadily improved his flock in the direction of making it more suitable for hilly country and for many years we believe the Orari Gorge clips used to top the market. He was one of the staunchest supporters of the Agricultural and Pastoral Association, and endeavoured to encourage his fellow pastoralists to follow his example, by offering special prizes for sheep suitable for hill runs. He was among the first to appreciate the value of wire fencing, and must have spent large sums in erecting fences over rugged country. We believe he was also one of the first among the pastoralists to undertake "laying down" on an extensive scale, and as at Orari Gorge there is but little level land, the hill sides were brought under the plough and English grasses. On the formation of the Mount Peel Road Board in 1870, he was elected a member, and had been a member ever since, from time to time being also elected chairman. He was also elected to the Geraldine Road Board in 1872, and was chairman from 1874 to 1876. In 1878 he was returned to the Geraldine County Council, and was chairman of that body for a number of years. He was also for some years a member of the Timaru Harbour Board. Mr Tripp was one of the twelve founders of the Christchurch Club. He was an active worker in many local voluntary associations. Such an example was his energetic insistence upon the necessity for action in checking the spread of rabbits in South Canterbury, a necessity which he long foresaw, and which would by this time had been impressed upon everyone had not the disastrous winter of two years ago checked the pest so effectually. His character was held in high esteem by all classes, not least the working classes. This sympathy with the working classes is visible in substantial form, in the accommodation provided for the regular hands and shears at the station. Mr Tripp was a consistent churchman, and wit was by his exertions chiefly that the Woodbury Church was built and has maintained; and it is therefore appropriate that it is in here that the funeral service will take place tomorrow.
Woodbury Cemetery, photo taken by M.T. on a freezing July 2010 afternoon and the frost was still on the ground at 1.30pm. .
Timaru Herald Saturday July 10 1897 page 3
Funeral of the Late Mr Tripp
Geraldine, July 9
The funeral of the late Mr C.G. Tripp took place at Woodbury to-day, and was the largest ever seen in the district. The funeral cortege arrived at Woodbury at 2 p.m., when a short service was held in St. Thomas's Church, after which the procession headed by the Masons, moved to the cemetery, men, women and children walking seven to eight abreast. The procession from the station comprised about a hundred conveyances including a large dray occupied by the Masons. A hundred horsemen followed in the rear. At the church, the Rev. J. Preston conducted the service, and Mrs Turton played "The Dead March" as the body was taken out of the building. The pall-bearers were station hands, Messrs Bennett, Norton, McNally, McLeod (senr.), William McLeod, George Hammond, C. Rae and Bateman. The chief mourners were Messrs Howard, Leonard, Bernard, and Mowbray Tripp (sons of the deceased), Mr and Mrs Pinckney, Archdeacon Harper, the Rev. Canon Harper, and the Hon. Mr Acland and family. William Rolleston, Mr G.J. Dennistoun, and family, Messrs Robert H. Rhodes, John Studholme (senr.), John Studholme (junr.), William Studholme, Francis Barker, Arthur Barker, John M. Barker, W.E. Barker, Sealey, E.M. Goodwin, Charles Harper, George Harper, and Mr and Mrs Sercombe, and Messrs Hoare and McKay (Raincliff). At the grave the burial service was read in an impressive manner by the Rev. James Preston, and the Masonic service was also gone though in compliance with deceased's special request before his death. The ceremony was led by Mr John Murray, R.W.M. of the Geraldine Lodge. A very large collection of handsome wreaths was placed upon the grave by the deceased's numerous friends from near and far. The procession from Orari Gorge station to Woodbury was fully a mile in length, people being present from all parts of the district.
Mrs Ellen Shephard Tripp
Poverty Bay Herald, 16 December 1916, Page 9
DEATH OF A PIONEER.
Christchurch, this day. At the Orari Gorge station there passed away in Mrs Ellen Shephard Tripp one whose name will be always intimately connected with the pioneering days in Canterbury. Mrs Tripp was the third daughter of Bishop Harper and resided at Orari Gorge for fifty years. Mrs Tripp leaves the following family:
Howard Tripp, solicitor, Timaru
Leonard O. H. Tripp, solicitor, Wellington
Bernard Tripp, Timaru
Jack. M. Tripp, Woodbury
Mrs Hope (wife of Mr Arthur Hope), Timaru
Mrs Stoppford, Napier
Mrs Pinckney, Glenaray, Southland
and Miss Ellen Tripp.
21 grand children, 2 great grand children, 9 brothers and sisters
Archdeacon Harper, Dean Harper, and George Harper, of Christchurch are brothers of deceased, and Mrs Blakiston, of Dannevirke, is a sister. She came out to NZ with her farther, mother and 11 brothers and sisters in 1856.
Evening Post, 9 October 1934, Page 11 MR. C. H. TRIPP
New Zealand Herald, 10 October 1934, Page 14
Mr. Charles Howard Tripp, senior partner of the firm of Tripp and Rolleston, solicitors, Timaru, died early this morning in a hospital in Wellington. Mr. Tripp, who had been to England for his health, returned by the Rangitata on it's last voyage. "He was taken ill on board ship," and on arrival was removed to the hospital. He was operated on successfully three weeks ago and made- good progress thereafter, but unfortunately suffered an unexpected relapse and collapsed last night. Mr. Tripp was the eldest son of the late Charles George Tripp, of Orari Gorge, Canterbury, and the eldest grandson of the late Bishop Harper, the first Bishop of Canterbury. Mr. Tripp, sen., was the first pioneer to, take up hill country in Canterbury, and Mr. Charles Howard Tripp was one of the first children born in South Canterbury. He was born at Mount Peel on October 1, 1859, and received his education at Christ College, Canterbury, and Trinity Hall, Cambridge. He was eventually, called to the Bar at the Inner Temple, London. On returning to New Zealand he joined Mr. F. J. Rolleston in practice at Timaru.
In his early days Mr. Tripp took a keen interest in yachting and rowing, and he made a study of navigation. He was a great admirer of Captain Cook, and often used to lecture on the life of Captain Cook. He also made a study of the life of Samuel Butler, who was originally the owner. of the Mesopotamia sheep station, which adjoined Mount. Peel Station, where Mr. Tripp was born Mr. C. G. Tripp and the late Hon. J. B. Acland, as partners, then owned the Mount Peel Station.
Mr. Tripp leaves a widow (was formally Miss Laidlaw, being a daughter of Mr W. Laidlaw, of Galashields, Scotland) and two children, Mr. C.W H. Tripp, sheep farmer, Gore, and Mrs. Vivien Boyle, the wife of Commander Boyle, who is now stationed at Weymouth, England. Another daughter, Mrs. A. P. Boyle, died last year. Mr. Tripp leaves seven brothers, and sisters, Mr. L.O. H. Tripp, solicitor, Wellington; Mr. B. E. H. Tripp, sheep farmer, Timaru; Mr. J.M.H. Tripp, sheep farmer, Silverton, South Canterbury; Mrs. Arthur Hope, Wai-iti Rd, Timaru; Mrs. Stopford, Orari Gorge; Miss Tripp, Orari Gorge; and Mrs. George Pinckney, Southland. Mr. Tripp was a man of wide culture and was an amateur astronomer, of more than average ability.
Otago Witness 10 April 1901, Page 59
Mrs Laidlaw, who came out from England to be present at the marriage of her daughter to Mr Tripp, of Timaru, a few months ago, left New Zealand last week by the Rimutaka.
Evening Post, 4 January 1936, Page 8
The death of Miss Eleanor Howard Tripp, of Orari Gorge, after an illness of several months, is announced by a Press Association message from Timaru. Miss Tripp, who was in her sixty-ninth year, was highly respected in the district, in which she took a prominent but unobtrusive part in social welfare and charitable work. One of her associations was with the committee of. St. Saviour's Orphanage, upon which she served until the time of her death. Miss Tripp was born at Orari, being the third daughter of the late Charles George Tripp and Ellen Shephard Tripp, and a granddaughter of Bishop Harper. Of the same family are Mrs. K. M. Stopford (Orari), Mrs. G. Pinckney (Glengary, Southland), Mrs. A. Hope (Timaru), Mr. B. E. H. Tripp (Timaru), Mr. L. O. H. Tripp (Wellington), and Mr. J. M. H. Tripp.
Press, 6 September 1919, Page 2
Mr and Mrs George Harper entertained Admiral Viscount Jellicoe and Lady Jellicoe yesterday afternoon at their home in Gloucester street, when only relatives were present. Admiral Lord Jellicoe is related to Mr Harper. Those present were the Dean and Mrs Harper, Mrs Thomas Maling and family, Mr and Mrs Percy Cox and family, Dr and Mrs James Loughnan (Timaru), Mrs Eric Harper, Mr and Mrs Cuthbert Harper, the Rev.E. Blakiston and Mrs Blakiston, Mrs George Hanmer, Mrs Lean (Calcutta), Mrs Cuthbert Gresson, Mr and Mrs Bernard Tripp, Mr and Mrs J. Mowbray Tripp, Mrs and Miss Pinckney, Miss Hope, Miss Nancy Thomson, and Mr H. D. Acland.
Waiapu Church Gazette, 1 August 1944, Page 9 TRIBUTE TO MRS. STOPFORD.
The late Catherine Mary Howard Stopford, widow of the late Francis Stopford, of Napier, was the second , daughter of the late C. G. and E. S.. Tripp, of Orari Gorge Station, Geraldine, South Canterbury, who passed away at Orari Gorge Station on 10th June, 1944. Mrs Stopford had lived in Napier for over 30 years. On her husband's death she went to live in her old home at Orari Gorge, South Canterbury. During her residence in Napier Mrs Stopford was a very valued worker for St. Johns Church, her generous help, aided by her husband's was extended to all who were in need of help of any denomination. For 25 years Mrs. Stopford was Diocesan Secretary of the Girls' Friendly Society (Waiapu). The G.F.S. Lodge from its inception owe much to Mr and Mrs Stopford for their generous help and very keen interest in same very freely given. Her end was wonderful, so very happy and absolutely no pain, just slipped away. Many will regret her passing. M.S. W.
Bernard Tripp- Obituary
Evening Post, 21 December 1940, Page 13 A PROMINENT FARMER
MR. BERNARD TRIPP
The death occurred yesterday of Mr. Bernard Edward Howard Tripp, C.B.E., M.B.E., F.R.G.S., in his seventy third year, states a Press Association message from Timaru. Born at "Orari Gorge" station and educated at Christ's College, Mr. Tripp took keen interest in the welfare of the sheep farmer. He represented New Zealand at the wool conference at Bradford in 1930 and Melbourne the following year. During the Great War he was the first New Zealand representative to leave for Egypt and England to organise the Red Cross. He represented New Zealand at the. International Red Cross Conference in. Geneva in 1920, Paris in 1924, and at the Empire Conference in 1930. He was a Commander of the Venerable Order of the Hospital of. St. John, of Jerusalem. The late Mr. Tripp was one of the four sons of Mr. Charles George Tripp, a London barrister who in 1854 took up a block of sheep country, "Orari Gorge" in Canterbury, and was the first to put sheep on hill country in that province. His mother was a daughter of Bishop Harper, the first Bishop of Canterbury. After leaving school Mr. Tripp was for several years in a merchant's office in Christchurch. He gained pastoral experience on "Orari Gorge" and later managed it for sixteen years. On the death of the father the property was inherited by the four sons, who traded under the firm name of Tripp Brothers -Mr. L. O. H. Tripp, of Wellington, is one. Half of the station was bought by the Government in 1910, the remainder afterwards carrying 23,000 sheep. In 1900, with his brother, Mr. J. M. H.. Tripp, and Mr. George Pinckney as partners, he purchased "Glenaray," a Southland property carrying 30,000 sheep and 1500 cattle. At one time he was also part owner of properties in Queensland but sold out in 1913 and 1914. He married a daughter of the late Mr. George Fletcher, of "Tapio" station, on the Murray River. Mr. Tripp was chairman of the Mount Peel Road Board, 1914-10, member of the Timaru Harbour Board, 1914-23, chairman of the Timaru Development 'Board, 1919, director of the Canterbury Agricultural College, 1914--21, member of the Taxation Committee, 1922, .and of the Council of Agriculture Committee the same year.. He was a Life Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society, London, and the Royal Colonial Institute, London.. He was a director of Pine,. Gould, Guinness, Ltd., the N.Z, Refrigerating Company, and director .for South Canterbury of the Dominion Life Insurance Office. He was a member, of the committee and ex-president (1908-9) of the Canterbury Sheepowners' Union, also president (1919) of the Timaru A. and P. Association.
Tripp, L. O. H. (Leonard Owen Henry), 1862- Memoirs of L. O. H. Tripp, written for his nieces and nephews, grand nieces and grand nephews. Timaru, N.Z. : Printed at The Herald Printing Works, 1958.
Evening Post, 3 July 1913, Page 9
The Christchurch Press announces the engagement of Mr. Edgar F. Stead, second son of Mrs. George G. Stead (Strowan) to Miss D. Phillips, second daughter of Mr. T. Phillips (The Point) ; also that of Captain Arthur Leigh la Coste Bastrop, South African Police and District Commandant, West Rand, Transvaal, to Miss Geraldine Howard Tripp, of Pretoria, and niece of Mrs. Tripp, of Orari Gorge, Woodbury, Geraldine. The marriage will take place at Irene, near Pretoria, in September.
Burkes Colonial Gentry page 237
Charles George Tripp and Ellen Shepherd:
i. Charles Howard, barrister at law of the Inner Temple, London, M.A., of the University of Cambridge, b. at Mount Peel, 1st Oct. 1859.
ii Leonard Owen Howard, of Wellington, barrister-at-law of the Inner Temple, London, b. at Retreat Villa, Acland-street, St. Kilda, Melbourne, Victoria, 17th Nov. 1862.
iii Bernard Edward Howard, of Melbourne, b. at Orari Gorge, 23rd Dec. 1868.
iv. John Mowbray Howard, b. at Orari Gorge Station 6th May 1870.
v. Frances Emily b. at Bishop's Court, Christchurch 24th March 1861, m. at St. Thomas's Church, Woodbury, 25th July, 1882, Arthur Hope, Esq., of Kaurunui, Timaru, and of Richmond Station, Mackenzie Country (who was b. at Seaforth House, Seaforth, Co., Lancaster, eng. 26 Sept. 1853. Issue:
1. Henry Norman b. Timaru 24th Oct. 1883
2. Owen Morley b. Timaru 16th Nov. 1886
3. Selwyn Peter b. at Timaru 11 Feb. 1889
1.Edith Mary b. at Timaru 23rd Dec. 1884
2. Roma b. Timaru 22nd March 1890
vi. Catherine Mary Howard b. on Worcester St, CHCH, 24th Aug. 1864
vii. Eleanor Howard b. at Orari Gorge Station, 6th August, 1867
viii. Edith Howard b. at Orari Gorge Station, 10th March, 1872.
Inside St. Thomas Church, Woodbury.
Otago Witness, 19 December 1900, Page 37
TRIPP� LAIDLAW.� On the 11th December, at the Cathedral, Dunedin, by the Bishop of Dunedin, assisted by Archdeacon Robinson and the Rev. Johnstone Murray, Charles Howard Tripp, eldest son of the late Charles George Tripp, Orari Gorge, Canterbury, to Margaret Ruth Laidlaw, daughter of the late William Laidlaw, Eastfield, Galashiels, Scotland.
Taranaki Herald, 2 November 1909, Page 1
On September 14, at Christ Church, Westminster, Mr. Leonard Owen Howard, the second son of the late Charles George Tripp, of Orari Gorge, was married to Miss Geraldine Henry, second daughter of the late Joseph Henry, M.R.C.S.. L.R.C.P., of Wellington.
Star, 25 September 1909, Page 7
TRIPP� HENRY � September 14th, at Southsea, England, Leonard, second son of the late C.G. Tripp. of Orari Gorge, to Geraldine, second daughter of the late Dr Henry, of Wellington.
Evening Post, 15 September 1909, Page 9
Yesterday the 14th of September � was fixed as the wedding-day of Mr. Leonard Tripp and Miss Geraldine Henry. The Misses Henry were living some time ago at Southsea, quite close to Dr. and Mrs. Harry Adams, and of course, not far from Mrs. Madocks and Mr. Percy Buller. They exchanged their house there with Mrs. Rhind for a flat in Battersea. Mrs Rhind has now taken a house in Prince's Gate, Edinburgh.
Otago Witness 19 December 1900, Page 37
TRIPP - LAIDLAW. On the 11th December, at the Cathedral, Dunedin, by the Bishop of Dunedin, assisted by Archdeacon Robinson and the Rev. Johnstone Murray, Charles Howard Tripp, eldest son of the late Charles George Tripp, Orari Gorge, Canterbury, to Margaret Ruth Laidlaw, daughter of the late William Laidlaw, Eastfield, Galashiels, Scotland.
Margaret Ruth nee Laidlaw and Charles Howard Trip married in 1900. Children:
1902 Charles William Howard Tripp
1903 Margaret Ruby Howard Tripp
1907 Rosa Howard Tripp
Otago Witness, 19 December 1900, Page 58
On Tuesday afternoon a very pretty wedding took place at St. Paul's Cathedral, the bridegroom being Mr Howard Tripp, of Timaru, and the bride Miss Laidlaw, daughter of the late Mr William Laidlaw, of Eastfield, Galashiels, Scotland. She, accompanied by her mother, arrived in New Zealand a few weeks ago from London. The cathedral was most beautifully decorated with, white flowers and quantities exquisite foliage and masses of the flowering cabbage tree and tall foxgloves artistically banked on the chancel and choir rails, pulpit, and lecturn. About 50 guests, friends of the bride and bridegroom, occupied the front seats reserved for them, and numbers of spectators were crowded, about the entrance and aisles. The ceremony was conducted by the Bishop of Dunedin, assisted by. Archdeacon Robinson and the Rev. Charles Murray, London, while Mr Taylor officiated, at the organ.
The bride entered the church leaning on the arm of her brother, Mr W. Laidlaw, of Earnscleugh station, and was attended by four bridesmaids � Miss Ruby Roberts, Miss Tripp (sister of the bridegroom), Miss Olive Laidlaw (niece of the bride), and little Miss Pinckney (niece of the bridegroom). The bridal party was met at the church steps by the bridegroom, attended by his brother; Mr Leonard Tripp, and Mr Buchanan, Canterbury, as groomsmen, and by his Lordship, the Bishop and the officiating clergymen. The bride looked very sweet, wearing a lovely dress of rich ivory duchesse satin made with long train gathered at the waist and the bodice finished with yoke and sleeves of fine tucked chiffon and long tulle veil over a spray of orange blossom, and carried a lovely shower bouquet of white flowers. The two elder bridesmaids wore charming dresses of bright blue silk with flounced skirts, and bodices made with yokes and long sleeves of transparent white lace, and white chiffon fichus prettily arranged over the sloping shoulders and finished with rosettes and straps of narrow black velvet, black chiffon hats, and each bridesmaid carried a lovely bouquet. The two children wore sweet little white frocks trimmed with lace, and white, hats with feathers, and each carried a long white crook.
After the ceremony the wedding party adjourned to Littlebourne House, where Mrs Laidlaw, the bride's. mother, held a reception, and where the guests were most hospitably treated by Mr and Mrs and the Misses Roberts. The young couple left Dunedin during the afternoon en route for the Lakes, the bride wearing a stylish dress of grey cashmere, and grey hat with feathers.
Amongst those present were Mrs Laidlaw, Mr and Mrs W. Laidlaw, Mr W. Laidlaw (Matakanui), Mrs Tripp (mother of the bridegroom), Mr and Mr J. Roberts, the Misses Roberts, Mr and Mrs George Roberts, Mrs Pinckney (sister of the bridegroom), Mr Leonard and Miss Tripp (Geraldine), Mrs Melville Jameson, and Mrs Arthur Elworthy (Timaru), Mrs and Miss Macassey, Mr and Mrs Michie, Mrs Robinson, Mrs and Miss Sise, Mrs and the Misses Hart, the Misses Gilkison, Mr and Mrs Murray, the Misses Farquhar, Mrs George Turnbull, Mrs Gallaway, Mr Macassey, Mrs Philip Russell, Mrs Royse, etc.
Mrs Laidlaw wore a very handsome trained gown of silver grey satin with steel trimming and tucked bodice with a touch of pink satin, finished with handsome white lace, and little grey tulle bonnet with trimmings of grey and pink and white osprey; Mrs W. Laidlaw, a pretty dress of transparent blue voile over pink, with trimmings of lace and black velvet, hat with white feathers and flowers ; Mrs Pinckney, sapphire blue tailor-made costume with white vest,-black hat; Mrs Roberts, costume of black brocade, bonnet with pale blue trimmings and pink roses ; Miss Roberts, stylish blue and white foulard dress made with yoke, and trimmings of cream lace and a touch of black velvet, liat with trimmings of black and pink roses; Miss Lulu Roberts, white muslin and lace over pink, smart hat of black and white with lovely flowers ; Mrs Arthur Elworthy, a pretty soft white silk dress with yoke and collar, black velvet trimmings, black chiffon, hat with feathers ; Mrs Melville Jameson, a handsome dress of white floral chine silk, both skirt and bodice vandyked, with black velvet ribbon and white lace yoke completing the bodice, black hat; Miss Sise, blue tailor-made tucked costume, and smart hat; Mrs Michie, costume of heliotrope foulard silk, white hat with black and heliotrope trimmings ; Miss Macassey, a smart pompadour silk bodice over a white skirt ; Mrs Hart, handsome pale green floral foulard silk trimmed with lace and black velvet; Miss Hart, white, and Leghorn picture hat. The Misses Roberts, invited a number of their friends to spend Tuesday evening at Littlebourne House, as a finale to the wedding party of the afternoon, when a most enjoyable evening was spent by all those present. Mr and Mrs Tripp have returned to Geraldine, accompanied by Mrs Laidlaw, who proposes spending a few months in New Zealand before returning to England.
Otago Witness, 3 June 1903, Page 32 PROPERTY SALES
The National Mortgage and Agency Company (Limited) report having made the following sales � On behalf of Mr Donald Macfarlane (Hakataramea), to Messrs Kelcher Bros. (Makikihi), the Mount Florence run, comprising 9000 acres leasehold and 509 acres freehold, with stock thereon. On behalf of Mr G. W. Henderson (Waikakahi), to Mr H. E. Mann (of Studholme Junction), small grazing run of 1475 acres, near Waimate, with the stock and plant thereon. On behalf of the Hyde Home Estate, to Mr George Pinckney, B. E. H. Tripp, and J. M. H. Tripp, section 1, block VII, Waikaia, comprising 610 acres.
On behalf of the New Zealand and Australian Land Company, 40,000 bushels of wheat, grown on the Levels Estate, near Timaru.
Wanganui Herald, 5 December 1908, Page 7
The executors of the late Mr C. G. Tripp have put the Orari Gorge station, South Canterbury, under offer to the Government for closer settlement. The property consists of about 800 acres of freehold and 22,000 acres of Crown leasehold, 250 acres good agricultural land and the rest mixed pastoral land. It is thought by practical people who know the estate that it might be divided into about 20 farms and 15 or 16 grazing runs. The Government has promised that the Land Purchase Board will inspect the property as early as possible.
Evening Post, 26 July 1909, Page 9
The engagement is announced by cable of Mr. Leonard Tripp, of Wellington, to Miss Geraldine Henry, daughter of the late Dr. Henry. Both Mr. Tripp and Miss Henry are at present in England.
Evening Post, 26 October 1909, Page 9 NEW ZEALAND WEDDING TRIPP - HENRY.
London, 17th September. Christ Church, Westminster, was on Tuesday the scene of a very pretty New Zealand wedding, the contracting parties being Mr. Leonard Owen Howard Tripp, second son of the late Mr. Charles George Tripp, of Orari Gorge, Canterbury, and Miss Geraldine Henry, second daughter of the late Dr. Henry, of Wellington. The ceremony took place at two o'clock, the officiating minister being the Rev. F. K. Aglionby, vicar of Christ Church. The sacred edifice was beautifully decorated for the occasion, palms and lilies having been employed with pleasing effect in the adornment of the aisle. Surgeon Major Parkinson, uncle of the bride, save away the bride, who was attended by two bridesmaids. Miss Roma Hope, niece of the bridegroom, and Miss Dorothy Gifford Marshall. Mr. A. P. Buller, of Wellington, acted as, best man, and Mr. Harold Large, of Napier, as groomsman. The bride was charmingly gowned in a dress of ivory white satin charmeuse, with a panel of silver embroidery on the skirt. The bodice was trimmed with similar embroidery, and yoke and sleeves of tucked chiffon. She carried a lovely bouquet of white flowers and silver tissue. The bridesmaids were dressed in pale blue silk with gold embroidery and white hats to match. A reception was afterwards given by Miss Henry, at Queen Anne's Mansions, at which a large number of New Zealand friends of the bride and bridegroom were present. Mr. and Miss. L. O. H. Tripp left during the day for the Continent. They propose to make a lengthy tour of Switzerland and Italy, and will return to New Zealand by the end of December. The following are some of the quests who attended Miss Henry's reception : � The Misses Henry, Surgeon-Major and Mrs. R. C. Parkinson, Miss Armstrong, Mr. and Mrs. Howard Tripp, Mr. and Mrs. A. Hope, the Misses Hope, Mr. P Hope, Mr. and Mrs. J. Dyke-Acland, Canon and the Misses Shepherd, Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Shackleton, Surgeon-General and Mrs. Gubbins, Miss Gubbins, Mr. C. D. Lang, C.B., and Mrs. Lang, Miss Arber, Mr. Leigh Wood, C.B., and Mrs. Wood, Mr. and Mrs Tristram Harper, Mrs. and Miss Levin, Mr. and Mrs. Gifford Marshall, Miss Marshall, Major and Mrs. Maddocks, Mr. and Mrs. Leo. Buller, Mr. A. P. Buller, Miss E. Richmond; Mr. H. D. Bell, K.C., Dr., Mrs. and Miss Adams, Mrs. and the Misses Rhind, Mr and Mrs. J. C. Warren, Sir James and Lady Thomson, Rev. T. and Mrs. Walter, Mrs and Miss Medley, Mr. and Mrs. Gee, Rev. and Mrs. Henry Tripp, Mrs. Fox, Dr. Gerald Harper, Mr. and Mrs. T. Douglas, Major and Mrs. Willoughby, Mrs. Ballance, Mrs. and Miss Rolleston, Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Reeves, Mr. and Mrs. G. H. St. Hill, Mr. and Mrs. E. J. Reid, Mrs. W. Pharazyn, Mr. and Mrs. L. Pharazyn, Mrs. Wigley, Captain and Mrs. Fergusson, Mr and Mrs. R. Hoare, Mr. and Mrs. Laidlaw, Captain Greenstreet, Mr. and Mrs. C. H. Izard, Dr. Izard, Mrs. S. Izard, Miss L. Izard, Mr. and Mrs. M'Ewan, Mr. Yernon Musgrave, Mr. 11. Large, Dr. and Mrs. F. R. Riley, Mrs. and Miss Alweyne Turner, Mr., Mrs. and Miss G. H. Barker, Mr. R. C. Kebbell, Mr. and Mrs. Laing, Mr. Saunders, Captain and Mrs. Jaggard, Mr. J. C. Hanna, Mr. Heathcote Williams, Colonel and Mrs. Alves, Mr. R. Alves, Mr. and Mrs. Holt, Mr. and Mrs. Neville, Mrs. Davis, Mr. and Mrs. Lewis Noad, Miss Dashwood, Mr. and Mrs. A. Rhodes, Mr. and Mrs. G. Buckley, Mr. and Mrs. S. Lysaght, Mrs. Drury, Mr. and Mrs. Williamson, Rev. T. and Mrs. Charlesworth, Mr. and Mrs. Gerald Fitzgerald, General Mander. Mr. C. Horton, General and Mrs. Babington, Mr. and Mrs. Theo. Harper, Mr. Turner. Mr. J. Studholme, Mr. C. S. Morris, Mr. W. M. Lewis, Mr. and Mrs. Crawford-Leslie, Mr. and Mrs. R. Gregory, Mr. W. Danckwerts, K.C., Mrs. Danckwerts, Mr. and Mrs. Conchie, Miss Skerrett, Mr. and Mrs. Senior, Mr. and Mrs. Crawford, Miss A. C. Freeman, Mr. and Mrs. J. Strang, Mrs. and the Misses Tanner, Mrs. Orme, Miss Parkinson, Mr. I. Rawle, Mr., Mrs., and the Misses Salsbury, Dr. and Mrs. F. T. Watson, Mr. and Mrs. Brace, Mr. Cecil Wray, Rev. G. and Mrs. Parkinson, and Mr. Renny.
Evening Post, 19 February 1910, Page 7
Mr. and Mrs. Leonard Tripp returned from England by the Wednesday's boat from Sydney. They were busy house-hunting till they left for Christchurch on Friday, whence they have gone to visit Mr. Tripp's family after their marriage.
Timaru Herald, 12 January 1911, Page 3
TRIPP - WILLIAMS. At St. Mary's, Geraldine, yesterday, was solemnised the marriage, of .John Mowbray Howard Tripp, of Silverton, Woodbury, and Mary Herbert, only surviving daughter of the late John Williams, of Adelaide, South Australia, and of Mrs Williams, The Hill, Geraldine. The ceremony was performed by the Right Rev. the Bishop of Wellington, assisted by the Rev. Staples Hamilton, vicar of the parish. Mr Herbert Berthon Williams gave away his sister, and Mr John Rolleston acted as best man. The bride's wedding dress was of soft ivory satin, veiled with chiffon and trimmed with old point lace and pearl and silver embroidery. From the shoulders fell a long court train of satin, cut square, and trimmed with clusters of white roses. She wore a Lisle veil and a coronet of orange blossoms, heather and myrtle, and carried a sheaf of lilies. Her train-hearers were Miss Rosemary Wilson, a tiny daughter of the Bishop of' Melanesia, and Master Pat Harris, the former wearing a little lace hat and dress tied with a mauve sash; the page dressed in a white satin court suit, with a mauve waistcoat. These were immediately followed by four other children�the Misses Rachel Elworthy, Margaret Tripp, Gonda Teschemaker, and Hilda Pinckney. The children's frocks were of white mousseline de soie, trimmed with insertions and lace over-mauve silk slips, tied with mauve sashes, and the children carried posies to match. Their pretty hats were of white "crinoline straw, tied with white satin scarves. -Miss Esther Barker, who acted as chief bridesmaid, walked with Miss Bona Hope, niece of the bridegroom; the other four bridesmaids being Miss Julius, Miss Dennistoun, Miss Rolleston, and Miss Somers-Cocks. They wore pale mauve mousseline de soie dresses over white satin, and large, picture hats of the same shade lined with a deep tone of amethyst. Their bouquets. of mauve sweet peas and enamel pendants .were the gift of the bridegroom. The bride's mother wore a handsome dress of ivory nunne do soie, with long black lace coat and black hat. The bride's going away dress was a pale mauve cloth coat and skirt, with handsome hat of amethyst shade. The happy couple left for Sydney, en route for the East and Europe. The presents were very numerous, and included a silver salver presented by the employees at Orari Gorge, and a book of Shakespeare given the bride by the members of the Geraldine Girls' Friendly Society. The church was elaborately and beautifully decorated with flowers, pot plants, etc., and a large floral bell hung over the chancel. The service was fully choral, the responses being sung by the choir, and the Wedding March was effectively played by the organist, Miss Hughes. Geraldine was quite en fete, and business was quite stopped during the ceremony.
Evening Post, 21 August 1931, Page 12
A marriage has been arranged between Alister Patrick, younger son of the late Mr. and Mrs. A. T. Boyle, Park terrace, Christchurch, and Rosa younger daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Howard Tripp, Wai-iti road, Timaru.
Mr. and Mrs. L. O. H. Tripp, Molesworth street; who were the guests of Miss Tripp, Orari Gorge, for the Tripp- Orbell wedding, have returned lo Wellington.
Evening Post, 26 April 1932, Page 13 BOYLE�TRIPP
Relatives and friends from, all parts of New Zealand attended the marriage which took place on Friday at St. Thomas's Church, Woodbury, South Canterbury, of Rosa Howard, younger daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Howard Tripp, Timaru, and Alister Patrick, younger son of the late Mr. and Mrs. A. Boyle, Christchurch. The tower of the little church at Woodbury had been erected in memory of the bride's grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. C. G. Tripp, of Orari Gorge, two well-known pioneer settlers. The Rev. Canon J. 3T. Coursey, Geraldine, performed the ceremony and golden marigolds,' blue agapanthus and sprays of autumn foliage decorated the church. The bride, who was escorted by her father, wore a long-sleeved frock of rich cream satin, the close fitting bodice being cut with a round neck and the long train set into the skirt with vandyke points at the hips. A voluminous veil of cream tinted tulle was caught with a circlet of orange blossom, and she carried a bouquet of gladioli and freesias. Her bridesmaids, Misses Joan Maling, Christchurch, Evelyn Pinckney, Southland, Mary Rolleston, Timaru, and Cecil Elworthy, wore frocks of orange georgette, the skirts being composed of frills edged with velvet, drooping in front and forming bustles at the back. Their bolero coatees had short bared sleeves and they wore -wreaths of autumn tinted chrysanthemums to match their bouquets. Two little train-bearers, Miss Belinda Williams (niece of the bridegroom) were a Kate Greenaway frock of orange velvet with high waist, puff sleeves and long skirt finished with two tiny frills. Master Peter Pinckney (cousin of the bride) were a Kate Greenaway suit of orange velvet. Commander D. Boyle was best man, and the ushers were Messrs. J. and C. Acland and, J. Hargreaves. After the wedding the guests drove to Orari Gorge, the old Tripp homestead. The rooms were decorated with masses of vivid gladioli, and the colour scheme in the marquee was yellow, orange, and shaded led flowers. The guests were received by Mr. and Mrs. Howard Tripp, the latter wearing a smart frock of black georgette, with inset collar of ivory, and a short black coat trimmed with stole collar of grey squirrel. Her black hat was trimmed with two ivory feather mounts, and she carried a bouquet of crimson roses. Mrs. V. F. Boyle (sister of the bride) wore a suit of corn-flower-blue with a blouse of parchment pink, and a hat to match. Mrs. Algar Williams, of Christchurch, (sister of the bridegroom), wore a smart ensemble of fawn wool lace, with deep beaver collar. Her green felt hat was trimmed with a fawn feather mount. Miss Phyllis Boyle (sister of the bridegroom) wore a frock of mushroom-pink and a smart coat of a similar shade, with small hat to match. Later in the afternoon, when Mr. and Mrs. A. P. Boyle left for the north, the latter was wearing a three-piece suit of green wool tweed flecked with black, and small black hat with a green feather mount.
Evening Post, 29 April 1909, Page 8
Proceeds of Lieutenant Shackleton's lecture not yet received," states the report of the Victoria College Students' Association, in connection with the gymnasium fund. It is known, however, that about �250 is coming from this source. Special thanks of the association are expressed to Mr. Leonard Tripp for arranging, and to Lieutenant Shackleton for delivering, the lecture.
New Zealand Free Lance, 16 March 1907, Page 3
Mr. Leonard Tripp, who shot, his first stag a couple of seasons ago, is fiercely interested in the genealogy of the Wairarapa red deer, which are increasing so fast that they are likely to be grouped with the rabbit and the noxious weed. Leonard, in the exuberance of his staggery, wrote Home to Windsor Park, whence the first of the deer came, asking if it were true that there was a German taint in the blue blood of the Wairarapa herds, but the answer came that they were pure � perfectly pure � and Leonard is breathing easily once more. If there had been a German streak it is on the cards that Leonard would have cut the Wairarapa herd dead, as he doesn't believe in made-in-Germany goods.
Otago Witness, 13 March 1907, Page 54 RED DEER.
Wellington, March 5. The marked difference in the heads of the red deer in the Otago and Wairarapa heads has frequently been remarked by sportsmen. Many of the North Island heads are more massive than those obtained in the South Island, and have an abnormal development of the back lines, usually on one horn only. The North Island deer have sprung from those given to the colony in 1862 by the late Prince Albert, and it has be on customary to account for their special characteristics by the supposition that the original deer shipped to the North Island from the Royal Park had some German blood in their veins. In order to settle the matter Mr Leonard Tripp, who takes great interest in acclimatisation, and is an enthusiastic stalker, recently wrote to the High Commissioner in London asking him if possible to find out whether the original deer front here were pure Scottish red deer, or if they had in them a strain of the German breed. By last mail Mr Tripp received through the Hon. Mr Reeves the following letter:
"Hollygrove. Windsor Park, January 13, 1907. To the High Commissioner for New Zealand.
Dear Sir, � I delayed answering your letter until I had made full inquiry as to deer you mention. Owing to a fire which took place here lately the documents I wanted have unfortunately been destroyed, but this much is quite certain, the red deer in the park here are and always have been, perfectly pure. They are very fine specimens of Scotch red deer, park fed. In hard weather they are given hay. There is no taint of German blood in them of any kind.� Yours etc., Walter Campbell.
It will be noted that Captain Campbell, who is deputy ranger at Windsor, is quite emphatic on the point, and his letter should settle the matter once and for all. It is none the less interesting to note that the change of climate has produced a change in type here, whereas in Otago, where it is much colder and the feed is not so good, the original type has been preserved.
Otago Witness, 18 December 1907, Page 9 HISTORY OF THE HERDS.
The Wairarapa Deer
Red deer were introduced to the North Island in 1862, for which the colony is indebted to his late Royal Highness Prince Albert, who, at the solicitation of Mr John Morrison, then New Zealand Government Agent in London, arranged to forward six deer to New Zealand � three for Wellington and three for Canterbury. Two stags and four hinds were captured in Windsor Park, and housed then for a short time as a preparation for their long sea voyage. One stag and two hinds were shipped by the Triton for Wellington, where, on June 6, one stag and one hind arrived safely, after a passage of 127 days, one hind having died at sea. About the same time the three other deer were shipped for Canterbury, but as only one hind was landed there alive, it was sent to Wellington and placed with the two others. After being kept in confinement for several weeks the were liberated on Mr Carter's run early in the year 1865, and, crossing the Ruamahangi River, took up their abode on the Maungaraki Ranges from whence (says a Wellington Acclimatisation Society's report of 1896) heads with the largest and best antlers have hitherto been obtained....... South Canterbury stag
Evening Post, 27 January 1910, Page 9
Mr. and Mrs. Leonard Tripp left England by the P. and O. Malwa on the the 31st December. They stop in Adelaide for a week, and will arrive in Wellington about the end of February.
Otago Witness, 4 November 1903, Page 47
PINCKNEY.� On the 31st of October, at Orari Gorge, the wife of George Pinckney, of a daughter.
Otago Witness, 1 May 1907, Page 47
PINCKNEY.� On the 25th April, at Timaru, the wife of George Pinckney, of Glenary Station, Waikaia, of a son.
Name : Pinckney, Edith Howard, 1872-1948
Other Names : Tripp, Edith Howard, 1872-1948
Biography : Married George Pinckney (1863-1948). Father of Kathleen Edith Pinckney (1903-1989)
The Orari Gorge Station Farm Buildings were registered under the Historic Places Act, 1980 as a Category 1 historic place by the New Zealand Historic Places Trust in July 2008. Category 1 is a status given to places of `special or outstanding historical or cultural heritage significance or value.' The woolshed at Orari Gorge Station has names of farm cadets stencilled on the overhead beams, among them run-holders who learned their calling in the days of C. G. Tripp, or the sons who followed him.
Blakiston, A. J. (Arthur John), b. 1862. My yesteryears. Publisher: Timaru [N.Z.] : Timaru Herald Company, 1952. Book 67 p.,  p. of plates : ill., ports. ; 21 cm. Tripp family. Orari Gorge Station (N.Z.)
rari Gorge Station, South Canterbury, homestead by G. L. Pitts - Farmhouses - 1966 - 2 pages
Orari Gorge Station, Canterbury, with gum trees that were among the first planted for shelter round the homestead. They were brought from Australia. A lawsoniana cypress (western)some 24 m high at the Orari Gorge Station. It was planted about 1870. Diameter 159 cm, height 32 m. Macrocarpa (Cupressus macrocarpa, Monterey Peninsula, CA.
The law firm Chapman & Tripp began in 1889 in Wellington. Leonard Tripp (1862-1951). Tripp, the son of an Orari Gorge farmer, was also a sportsman and sports administrator, founder and president of the Red Cross, and both men held several company directorships.
Tripp, Ellen Shephard 1834-1916. My Early Days. Christchurch: Imprint : Christchurch : The Lyttelton Times, 1916. Privately Printed, 21.5 x 14 Cm. Soft Cover. 16 Pages Plus Photo Plates. Timaru, N.Z. : Printed by Geo. R. Joyce, 1915. Book. 16 p.,  leaves of plates : ill., ports. ; 22 cm. Family origins, the voyage out, marriage and life at Mt Peel and Orari Gorge. An early and very readable account of life in early New Zealand including the South Island's high country stations including Mt Peel, Orari Gorge, Mt Somers. The daughter of the man who was to become Bishop Harper, Ellen Harper married Charles George Tripp in 1858. Tripp and John Acland had taken up the Mt Somers, Mt Possession, Mt Peel and Orari Gorge runs in 1854. Includes several pages of black and white photographs. Mount Peel Station and Orari Gorge Station.
Tripp, L O H. Memories of L.O.H. Tripp Timaru Herald Printing, Privately Published, 1958. 21 x 13.5 Cm. Card Covers. 32 Pages. Compiled by Barbara Harper these are the reminiscences of Leonard Tripp the last surviving son of Ellen Shephard Tripp who wrote the story of her early life in the scarce little book "My Early Days". Reading this early book stirred the curiosity and imagination of some of Mrs Tripp's grandchildren who were led to ask Leonard to write his story also hence this interesting little book which includes much on the Orari Gorge station. "Written for his nieces and nephews, grand nieces and grand nephews." Tripp, L.O.H. (Leonard Owen Howard) 1862-1957 Tripp family
Lecture given by the late G.C. [sic] Tripp : of Orari Gorge, Canterbury at Silverton, Devon, 1862. Library's copy from Acland papers. University of Canterbury
Death of Miss E.H. Tripp : life of sympathy and service.
Publisher: [Christchurch, N.Z. : The Press, 1936] Book 4 leaves : ill., port. ; 26 cm. About: Tripp, E. H. (Eleanor Howard), 1867-1936.
Ashburton Guardian, 15 May 1906, Page 4
A social was given by the members of the family of the late Hon J R A. Acland, at Mount Peel, to about 150 of the former employees on Thursday May 10th, that day being the fiftieth anniversary of the late Mr Acland and his partner, the late Mr C. G Tripp, crossing to Rangitata River and taking up the Mount Peel and and Orari Gorge stations. It was mentioned that the two were the first men in Canterbury to take up any hill country, and the plains men thought they were embarking on a very risky venture; that both these families had established their homes on their properties and not worked them purely for profit; and further than that, these two stations were the only stations in Canterbury that are still in the hands of the families of the original selectors. It was also remarked that exceptionally good fellowship had always existed between employee and employees on these stations during all the varied calamities and the depressed and prosperous years.
Mr Henry Acland returned from Sydney with his bride the day before the gathering, and the employees took advantage of the bride and bridegroom's presence to present them with a very handsome clock, which Mr Henry said he hoped would still be found ticking at Mount Peel at the social on their jubilee wedding day, the centenary of the taking up of Mount Peel. Mr Acland thanked the employees, and hearty cheers were given for the happy pair; cheers also were given for the Acland family, the Tripp family, and the old identities, which included Mr Pithie, who had worked for the late Mr Acland, at Mount Peel before he was married; Mr Ede, who had burnt the bricks on the property by which the house was built; Mr R Irwin, Mr Ashby, Mr R Thew, and many others. The first baby Mr C. Howard Tripp and the last baby (Master Dunn) born at Mount Peel were also present in mufti. The former happens to be the second name on the Timaru birth register, which includes the district from the Rangitata to the Waitaki.
Evening Post, 26 September 1945, Page 1
TRIPP On September 25, 1945, at 141 Molesworth St., Geraldine, beloved wife of Leonard O. H. Tripp. Service at Cathedral Church of St. Paul, Mulgrave St., .9.30 a.m. Tomorrow (Thursday), September 27, 1945, thereafter private interment. Isaac Clark and Son, 87 The Terrace.
South Canterbury NZGenWeb Project