Morven Catholic Cemetery, South Canterbury, N.Z.  

A small cemetery, 0.814ha., in the Waimate District that is closed for interments with only fifteen headstones in two rows, most with white marble and lead lettering. Another site. Headstones date from 1904 to 1937 with a memorial stone dated 1946 but the majority of the burials are early 1900s. Seven of the headstones are topped with variations of crosses. Three have outstanding craving done in marble. Only one stone I cannot decipher, the red marble one, In loving memory of Margaret W. Hanely died 27th April 1929 ... The grounds have been cleaned up recently with new plantings along the northern side. There are new white fence and the gound are regularly mowed. The rustic iron gates are functional but were open. Photographs taken by me, Olwyn, on  Friday 6th April 2016 at sunset. Difficulty to miss, it is a triangular section on the corner on SH1 at Crowes Rd intersection, 5k north of Glenavy on the right, if heading north just after a large dairy products factory. Irrigators can be seen to the light. Just up Crowes Rd is an old abandoned catholic church, St. Joseph. Well over 50% of the burials appear to be Catholic families. Location map.

New Zealand Tablet, 26 December 1907, Page 23 MR. EDWARD CROWE, MORVEN.
On December 17 in the presence of a very large gathering of mourners, the remains of the late Mr Edward Crowe were interred in the Morven Cemetery. The Very Rev. Dean Regnault officiating at the graveside. In the morning a Requiem Mass for the repose of the soul of the deceased was celebrated by the Very Rev. Dr Kennedy. The late Mr. Crowe was one of the most industrious and successful farmers in South Canterbury. He was born in Ballindooly, Galway, Ireland, and arrived in New Zealand in April 1868. He first worked, with Messrs Patrick and John Hanley, and afterwards Joined his brother, Mr John Crowe, in farming. In public matters affecting his district he was always interested and he was a devoted member of the Catholic Church, being an active member of committee of St. Joseph's Church Morven, to which he made several handsome donations, particular worthy of notice being the splendid iron gates which now adorn the entrance and will be a reminder of the donor during many years to come. On Sunday, December 8, Mr Crowe was struck with paralysis, and passed away on Sunday, December 15. The late Mr Crowe, was of a bluff straightforward nature always ready with a kindly greeting and an open hand. During his 39 years' residence he had taken his share in the world of pioneering. A widow and two sons are left to mourn his loss.- R.I.P.


North Otago Times 16 March 1906, Page 4 DEDICATION OF MEMORIAL CROSS AT MORVEN.
Last Sunday afternoon, at 3 p.m., the pretty Catholic chapel at Morven was thronged, the occasion being the dedication of a memorial cross in the Waihao Catholic cemetery to perpetuate the memory of the late John Hanley, After a brief service, conducted by the Very Rev. Dean Regnault, Waimate, a procession was formed, and on arriving at the cemetery a very solemn and interesting ceremony was enacted. Dean Regnault, in the course of a very eloquent speech, mentioned the reason of the gathering, and also pointed out the many manifest advantages conferred upon her sons and daughters by Holy Mother Church. After the Dean's address, which was listened to with close attention throughout, the ceremony of sprinkling the cross with holy water was gone through, then a hymn by the choir, which was very well rendered, and a prayer by the Dean, and the procession was reformed, and on arrival at the chapel the solemn sacrament of the Benediction was celebrated. Previous to this, Dean Regnault thanked all and sundry who had in any way contributed towards the erection of the cross, the people who had gratuitously, carted the materials for the foundation, the builders (who had left such a splendid specimen, of their work), and Catholics and non-Catliolics who had generously contributed their time and interest, he, the Dean, thanked then all very heartily, and asked that God would bless them all. The memorial referred to is a beautiful marble Celtic cross, and stands nearly 30ft in height. The design is chaste and elegantly proportioned, and was much admired. The cross is supported on a finely wrought Waikawa base, which is approached by three concrete steps, all nicely cemented and neatly finished. A raised panel on the southern face hears this inscription; in memory of John Hanley, who gave this burial ground, and of all the faithful here awaiting the day of resurrection. This memorial was erected, by the inhabitants of this district, Nov., 1905, It is a holy and wholesome thought to pray for the dead, that they may he loosed from their sins." -II Mach, xii, 46.

Cemeteries should be transcribed in rows, not alphabetically, as this helps to work out family relationships and makes it easier to find a particular headstone in years to come.

2.     In loving memory of JOHN HANLEY who gave this burial ground and of all faithful here awaiting the day of resurrection. This memorial was erected by the inhabitants of this district Nov. 1905.

"It is a holy and wholesome though to pray for the dead, that they may be loosed from their sins. 2 MACH XII . 4C

Monument mason - Parsons. MACH (sic) - also noted the spelling of Johannah. Parsons did beautiful work with a beautiful cross and Jesus here. He used white marble and cared a lovely bouquet here in marble. A dove with an olive branch on No. 7., a cross on No. 16.
4.  In loving memory of EDWARD the beloved husband of Ellen CROWE, who died December 14th 1907, aged 65 years. Also his wife ELLEN, died march 29th 1910. Aged 63 years.
6.  In loving memory of John beloved husband of Mary RUANE, died 20th May 1937 aged 67 years. R.I.P.

Monument mason, J. Crombie, Oamaru
7.   In loving memory of Catherine QUIGLEY who died Dec. 8th 1904, aged 20 years. Rest in Peace.

[A lovely carved dove with an olive branch in her beak. Does look like a duck but the feet are not webbed.] 
8.  James and Anne KENNEDY died 1908 also
Charles died 1929. R.I.P.
9.  Margaret Winifred Hanley died in 1929 aged 50Y
unable to read
In loving memory of Margaret W. Hanely died 27th April 1929
Murtey T. Hanley died 30th June 1940
11   In loving memory of Bryan FAHEY who died Dec. 6th 1904 aged 52 years. R.I.P. Erected by his loving wife. Also Johannah FAHEY died Nov. 12th 1922 aged 56. R.I.P. 

[Interesting the lead letters Ns in Johannah and the N in Nov. have been placed on the monument backwards.]
12 In loving memory of JOHN HANLEY who died Sept. 16th 1904 aged 61 years. Eternal rest give to him O Lord and let perpetual light shine on him.
Erected by his loving wife and family
also MARY beloved wife of John HANLEY died March 20th 1918 aged 69.
13  In loving memory of our dear parents ALICE CONNELL died 22nd January 1945, PATRICK died 2nd August 1946, and also dearly loved sons STEPHEN and MICHAEL. R.I.P.
14  Of you charity pray for the repose of the soul of Margaret HANLEY who died Nov. 3rd 1909 aged 63 years also Patrick HANLEY who died July 19th 1914 aged 73 years. R.I.P.

Monument mason - Parsons.
15  In loving memory of Margaret Elizabeth beloved daughter of Patrick & Margaret HANLEY who died June 18th 1903 aged 33 years. R.I.P.

16  In loving memory of DANIEL beloved son of John & Mary BRESLIN who died Oct. 26th 1910. Aged 25 years.

Monument mason - Parsons.
In memory of Margaret and John CARROLL.
18  O'SHEA
Of your charity pray for the soul of MARTIN GILMORE accidently killed Jan. 18th 1915, aged 70 years.

Also BRIDGET beloved wife of the above. Died July 11th 1929, aged 87 years. R.I.P.

Passing notes.

Bryan FAHEY married Johanna PURCELL in 1888. Children:
1889 Fahey Mary Winnie
1890 Fahey Ellen
1892 Fahey Patrick
1893 Fahey Julia
1895 Fahey Winefred
1898 Fahey Thomas
1900 Fahey Johanna
1903 Fahey Norah
1905 Fahey Kathleen

Southland Times 9 December 1904, Page 1
Bryan Fahey left Glenavy on Tuesday to round-up a young horse on an island in the Waitaki. He never returned, but a riderless horse was discovered on the island.

Otago Witness, 14 December 1904, Page 37
The inquest on the body of Bryan Fahey, found last "Wednesday evening on a shoal some five chains below the bridge, resulted in a verdict being returned of Found drowned." Evidence was given before Major Keddell, S.M. (coroner), by T. W. Cuthbertson, Hilderthorpe, who was the last person, so far as is known, who saw deceased alive J. Harper, Waitaki South, who deposed as to finding the body, and with assistance recovering it; and by Police-constable Charles Daulton, then in charge of Glenavy, who took charge of the body to await the inquest. The jury Messrs Allan Low, J. Henery, V. Small, .T. McCabe. T. Hanley and J. M. Peebles (foreman), having heard the evidence, brought in a verdict as above stated. The funeral of deceased took place on Saturday morning last at the Morven Catholic Cemetery, a large cortege following the remains to the grave. Father Regnault Waimate conducted a mass in the chapel previous to the interment, and subsequently officiated at the burial. Mr Fahey, who was 52 years of age at the time of his death, came to this district some 22 years ago. and he has resided here ever since. The greatest sympathy is expressed for Mrs Fahey who has been left with a family of nine, the eldest of whom is only about 16 years of age.

Otago Witness 4 January 1905, Page 30
At Glenavy Messrs John Harper and John Slodden, who at great risk recovered the body of the late Bryan Fahey from the Waitaki River, were made the recipients of a purse of sovereigns each, subscribed by numerous admirers of their pluck.

Oamaru Mail, 20 September 1904, Page 4 Death of Mr John Hanley.
The funeral of the late John Hanley took place yesterday (Monday September 19) from his home at Waihao, an immense cortege of vehicles and riders, following the hearse. A solemn requiem Mass was celebrated in the Waihao chapel [St Joseph's Church, Morven], the celebrant being the Rev. Father Regnault, of Waimate, assisted by the Rev. Fathers Keogh (Principal of St. Patrick's College, Wellington), Le Floch of Timaru, sub-deacon, O'Connell, and Rev. Father O'Connor master of ceremonies. The chapel was crowded to its full extent, even the aisle being filled by the friends who had come from far and near to pay the last sad respects to the mortal remains of one who had won widespread respect and esteem. During the progress of the solemnities indoors the Rev. Father Keogh, in an eloquent panegyric, commented upon the many sterling qualities of deceased. No one in need of advice or aid in difficulties ever applied in vain to John Hanley, whose Christian traits and unassuming ways were so conspicuous by their very unobtrusiveness. The Requiem Mass ended, the sad procession reformed and amid the strains of the Dead March in "Saul," well played by the organist, and the mournful tolling of the chapel bell, the cortege reached the new Catholic cemetery—a gift from the deceased—where the burial rites were performed by the Fathers already mentioned. Father Regnault, in the course of a brief address, said that it would be very long ere the people of Waihao would forget John Hanley. As showing the respect in which the deceased gentleman was held by all classes and denominations, it is sufficient to mention that the cortege was the largest ever seen hereabouts, being over a mile long. I am indebted to Mr B. Flynn, of Waimate (a shipmate of Mr Hanley's) for the following particulars :— Mr Hanley sailed from the East India Docks in October, 1862, in the ship Chariot of Fame, commanded by Captain Kerr. After a somewhat uneventful voyage, Port Lyttelton was reached on the 28th or 29th of January, 1863. Before finally settling on his property at Waihao the late gentleman was in the North Canterbury district for some time, where his excellence of disposition was fully recognised by his many friends. Born in County Galway in the "forties," Mr Hanley, at the time of his decease, was 61 years of age. He leaves a widow and grown-up family to mourn their irreparable loss. Deceased will be sadly missed here, as he was so popular, and the greatest sympathy is felt on all sides for his bereaved widow and family in their affliction.

The ship Siberia arrived Lyttelton 21st February 1870
Bills sent from the Colony to the under mentioned. Name of Person to whom Bills have been remitted by Friend in the Colony Drawer Acceptor
Hugh & Bryan FAHEY (Thomas CONNOLLY, already in NZ)

New Zealand Tablet, 29 September 1904, Page 15
The sudden death of Mr. John Hanley. The deceased attended a ploughing match in the afternoon, and from there went to the drawing; of the art union in the evening, afterwards he drove to his home at Morven, a distance of about 10 miles. Having arrived at the entrance to his place he got out of his gig to open a gate, and whilst doling so he expired. The deceased was one of the most respected men in the district, being always ready to assist the district and needy. The cortege was two miles long, among the mourners being persons from all parts of Canterbury and North Otago.  It was through his generosity that the Catholics of Morven and Glenavy have a cemetery, the having given the ground for the purpose. The deceased leaves a widow and a grown-up family of three sons and one daughter. It is the intention of the people of the district to erect a monument in memory of deceased. —R.I.P.  

Otago Witness 12 February 1908, Page 39 GLENAVY.
I regret to report the passing away during the past week of two very old identities of the district in the person of Mrs Kennedy, of Morven, and Mr Metcalfe, of the Waitaki Village Settlement. Both were much liked and respected, and the greatest sympathy is felt by all for the relatives in their bereavement.

Oamaru Mail, 10 December 1904, Page 2
QUIGLEY.— On the 9th inst. at her parents' residence, Waikakahi. Kate, the only daughter of Alfred and Mary Quigley, in her 20th year. The funeral will leave the late residence for the Morven Catholic Church on Sunday 11th inst., at 11 a.m... and thence for the Waikahahi Cemetery. Friends are kindly invited to attend. Geo. A. Collett, Undertaker.

Oamaru Mail, 13 December 1904, Page 2
—A dreary rain from the south is at present falling (Sunday afternoon), making it a comfort to stay indoors. The crops are looking well generally, and the grass is also looking very well. The funeral of the late Brian Fahey took place on Saturday morning last at the Waihao Catholic Cemetery, a large cortege of traps and horsemen following. A solemn mass was conducted in the chapel there, the body being conveyed to the cemetery, where the last sad rites were performed by the Rev. Father Regnault, who officiated throughout. The greatest sympathy is felt for Mrs Fahey, who has been left with a family of nine to mourn their loss.
    I regret to learn that Miss Kate Quigley passed away at her parents' home in Morven at the early age of 20 years. The funeral took place on Sunday morning at the Catholic Cemetery at Morven, a great number of friends and sympathisers being present.

Auckland Star, 27 October 1910, Page 10 BEREAVEMENT CARD.
Mr. and Mrs. T. BRESLIN, of Morven, Canterbury, wish to express their sincerest thanks to the Medical and Nursing Staff of The Auckland Hospital for the kindness and attention with which their son, the late Constable Daniel Breslin, was cared for while a patient in the institution.

Oamaru Mail, 28 January 1915, Page 4
GILMORE — On January 27th at Glenavy, Martin Gilmore, aged. 71 years. The Funeral will leave St. Joseph's Church, Morven, to-morrow (29th inst.) at 9.30 a.m. for Morven Cemetery. Requiem Mass at 9 a.m. G. W. Collet, Undertaker, Waimate.

Wairarapa Daily Times, 28 January 1915, Page 5 A FARMER'S DEATH. KILLED ON RAILWAY CROSSING
Oamaru, Wednesday. Martin Gilmore, an elderly farmer, was killed on the railway crossing on the northern side of Glenavy this afternoon, the express train from Dunedin to Christchurch running into the horses and cart he was driving. He was placed on the train to go to the Timaru hospital, but died on the way. He leaves a widow, but no family.

Another photo.

A young John Foley on his way home after attending the auction for the Studholme Estate called in at Morven to see John Hanley, who asked him how he had got on at the auction. On John’s reply that he found the land too dear, Hanley told him not to be foolish but to hurry back and make an offer. John did so and the offer was accepted. A month later John Foley rode over to inspect his block. Before the sale the block had been sown in oats for sheep feed. After the sale the sheep had been removed and the oats were still there. The crop was there to be harvested, but John had only one binder and there were 200 acres to cover. One evening at the camp his right hand man, Billy Sullivan, was feeding the horses after finishing work for the day. ‘‘Billy,’’ said John, ‘‘Don’t take off the harness. We’ll have a bite to eat and tonight we’ll take the teams and gear over to Studholme.’’ They arrived early next morning. Harvesting the oats was a matter of extreme urgency, as the crop was dead ripe and nor’westers were a greater hazard than they are now. The other settlers in the district must have thought likewise and, typical of the times, were all concerned about John Foley’s oats. Upwards of six binders seemed to appear out of the blue to help reap the crop, and working steadily by day and by night, they saved the situation. The old hotel at Studholme also played its part; the harvesters found relief there for blistered hands and aching muscles. The gamble paid off; the crop was saved and John was able to put down a good deposit on the land. The way was cleared to tackle the problem of getting married. Story by John Button, Courier Oct. 31st 2010.

Oamaru Mail, 10 December 1904, Page 2
A very pretty wedding look place at St. Joseph's Church, Morven, on September 14, when Miss Mary Ryan, eldest daughter of Mr. John Ryan, Morven was united in the bonds of matrimony to Mr Thomas McInernery, of Glenavy. The bride who was given away by her father, looked charming in a dress of white silk trimmed with chiffon and lace. She also wore the customary wreath and veil, and carried a shower bouquet. Her two sisters attended as bridesmaids;, and wore dresses of cream cashmere trimmed with lace, and ribbons, and white picture hats to match. Mr J. Hanley acted as best man. After the ceremony about 100 guests sat down to the wedding breakfast, which was held at the residence of the bride's parents. In the evening about 100 young people assembled in the Morven school at a social to celebrate the event.

New Zealand Tablet, 20 May 1909, Page 11
Mr. O'Callaghan (Morven) voiced the feelings of the Catholics in the outlying districts, where Dean Regnault had built churches that were monuments of Catholic faith, and the country people owed a great debt to him. They had found Dean Regnault a thoroughly self-sacrificing priest. He never missed a service, and when the Waihao was in flood he bad known him to go round by Waihao Forks in order to get to Morven. Then there was the education that had been given to their children. In their joys and in their sorrows Dean Regnault had been all in all to them, and there would always be warm hearts for him in Waihao.

Evening Post, 27 January 1928, Page 6
The death of Dean Regnault, which occurred at the Marist Mission House, Hill street, last evening, will cause widespread regret, for he was well known in nearly all parts of the Dominion. His cheerfulness, unfailing courtesy, and especially his work for the poor, were marked features of his nature, and endeared him to all who knew him. Dean Regnault had been seriously ill for the past two months, so that his death was not unexpected. Dean Peter Regnault was born in the diocese of St. Brieuc, Brittany, France, in June, 1856, and became a member of the Marist Order in 1881. After a brief term ,in one of' the Marist colleges in France, he secured the much desired permission to join the New Zealand mission. His first appointment was that of curate to Dean Foley, at Timaru. He was subsequently transferred to Hokitika, and in 1889 to Waimate, in succession to Father John Goutenoire, one of the most esteemed of the Marist pioneers. He laboured at Waimate until his appointment in 1907 as Provincial of the Society of Mary for New Zealand; was instrumental in having built the convent in Waimate, which was opened free of debt, and introduced the Sisters of St. Joseph. Through Dean Regnault exertions, the brick presbytery at Waimate and the brick churches at Morven and Makikihi were erected; and, before leaving, he signed a contract for a new church, at Waimate, which building was completed by his lifelong friend Father Aubry.... The funeral will leave after Mass for the Karori Cemetery.

Press, 20 October 1938, Page 2 MRS G. H. CURTIS
The death occurred at Willowbridge recently of Mrs G. H. Curtis, a well known resident of the Waimate district for many years. Mrs Curtis was born at Allday Bay, North Otago, in 1875. Her grandfather was the Rev. Charles Dickson (Scotland). and her mother, whose parents, Mr and Mrs Anderson, arrived m Otago on the ship Blundell in 1848, was one of the first children of the early settlement. The family moved to Otaio in 1893, and five years later they went to Waimate, where Mrs Curtis joined the Knox Church Bible class. During the South African War when the family removed to the North Island, she was engaged in church work at Eketahuna and Masterton. In 1904 she moved with the family to Morven, where she was a teacher in the Sunday-school, and gave valuable help in building the Morven church. Mrs Curtis continued her teaching after her marriage m 1908, and on moving to Willowbridge, carried on the work there until 1929. On her return from a visit to the North Island in 1930 she. renewed her activities with the church and became secretary of the Willowbridge branch of the Presbyterian Women’s Missionary Union. She had the record of. having attended every meeting of the branch since its inception (10 years), except for the brief period she. was in the North' Island; Apart from her church work, Mrs Curtis took a keen interest in the Women’s Institute, and was for a time president of the Willowbridge Institute.

Waihao (now Morven)

The district of Morven was formerly known as Waihao, and was originally part of the Waikakahi estate. The Roman Catholic church stands on the main road between Morven and Glenavy. At the census of 1901 the population of the district was 336. In November, 1898, the Government bought the estate in terms of the Land for Settlements Act, and it was thereupon subdivided into 130 farms, ranging from forty-five to 1473 acres, fourteen small grazing runs, and about forty acres for a township at the Waihao railway station. Morven, the name given, to the township at the Waihao railway station, connects the place with the Morven Hills sheep station, once owned in Otago by the Messrs McLean, and with their ancestral district in Scotland, the “woody Morven” and “Morven of hills.”

Star 4 May 1911, Page 3
The Canterbury Land Board met today. The following transfers were granted
L.I.P. 1046, R.S. 20105, Waikakahi Settlement, 200 acres 5 perches, Honor Carroll to her brother, John James Carroll, of Glenavy, farm assistant.

Press, 5 September 1913, Page 5
The monthly meeting of the Canterbury Land Board was held yesterday. Applications for transfer were granted as follow:—
L.P. 1039, Section 14, Block VI., Waikakahi Settlement, Michael Edward Hanley to Edward James Meredith, 494 acres 25 perches.
L.P. 365, Section 9, Block XII., Otaio S.D.—Patrick Kennedy to Denis O'Keefe. 49 acres 1 rood 17 perches. L.P. 933, Section 1, Block V., Waikakahi Settlement- Emily Allen to William and Edwin J. Allen, 479 acres 2 roods.
L.P. 1895. Section 5, Block 111., Morven township — William A. Nelson to Margaret W. Hanley, 1 rood.
L.P. 1472, Section 21, Block XVI., Pawaho Settlement —Executor of the estate of George William Smith, deceased, to Henry Hedgman (executor), 2 acres 3 perches.

Timaru Herald, 22 September 1919, Page 9
The welcome home social to returned soldiers held at Morven on Thursday evening, was equal in every way to the record gathering of a few months ago. The object of the gathering brought the residents of the district out in great force, almost every house being represented, over 400 people being present to do honour to the returned men, two of the number, Sergeant J. Breslin and Private R. Buller, having been awarded the Military Medal. The decorating of the hall was in the capable hands of Mr J. K. Blair, who had enlisted the services of Miss Manchester. The chairman intimated that a roll of honour was being placed in the hall as a permanent memorial to district soldiers, but unfortunately it had not come to hand in time to be unveiled that night. Mr G. L. Hart moved a vote of thanks to all who had so willing assisted to make the gathering so successful. The arrangements for the supper were in the hands of the Red Cross ladies, who had made, elaborate preparations. A large marquee was erected to supplement the supper room. The floor of the hall was cleared for dancing, which was carried on till the early hours of the morning. The following is a list of the men honoured: Deceased.— W. Benson, E. McCarthy
Returned.— J. Breslin, R. Buller, W G. Brown, F. Black, C. Boyees, S. Bailey, J. Currie, W. Caple, J. Dillon, B. Flynn, H. Gluyas, F.L. Hart, J.F. Hart, E. Heap, L. Marshall, D. J. McMeekin, J. McGillivary, T. McCarthy, J. McCarthy, J. O'Shea, Maurice O'Shea, G. A. Peck, P. Quigley, H. Richards, H. Selwyn, J. Stokes, H. Stokes, F. P. Tangney, J. Terfus, A. Baikie and also Nurse Flynn.

Nearby, on the other side of was the Gray's Corner School.

South Canterbury NZGenWeb Project